Lady Pacers are 13th in new poll
The USC Aiken women’s team, which has won 10 consecutive games and is 11-1 overall, moved up a spot, to 13th, in the latest USA Today/ESPN Division II Top 25 Coaches’ Poll.
The Pacers can tie the school record for most wins in a row with a victory at Georgia College & State (3-10) on Saturday.
Falcons assistant hired by Jaguars
The Jacksonville Jaguars have hired Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey as head coach, a move they hope will help improve the league’s worst offense.
Mularkey’s Falcons managed only two points in a wild-card loss to the New York Giants on Sunday. Nonetheless, his long relationship with Jaguars general manager Gene Smith made him a front-runner from the beginning of the search.
He has been Atlanta’s offensive coordinator since 2008, helping mentor quarterback Matt Ryan.
• The Oakland Raiders fired coach Hue Jackson on Tuesday after just one season at the helm in the first major move since Reggie McKenzie was hired as general manager.
• Police have recovered the body of Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin’s son from an icy Wisconsin river and said Tuesday that they were trying to figure out how he died.
Michael T. Philbin, 21, disappeared early Sunday and was reported missing that night.
Griffin to bypass his senior year
Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III has decided to enter the NFL Draft.
The exciting dual-threat quarterback is bypassing his senior season at Baylor and is projected to be one of the top picks in April.
• Jay Paterno is leaving Penn State’s coaching staff after spending 17 years as an assistant under his father, Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno.
• Notre Dame has given coach Brian Kelly a two-year contract extension that will keep him with the Irish through the 2016 season.
Couturier sends Flyers to victory
In Raleigh, N.C., Sean Couturier scored the tiebreaking goal 3:23 into the third period and the Philadelphia Flyers beat the Carolina Hurricanes 2-1 on Tuesday night.
• In Montreal, Jaroslav Halak got the shutout in his first game back in Montreal and the St. Louis Blues extended their winning streak to four with a 3-0 victory.
• In Toronto, Jonas Gustavsson had 32 saves and the Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Buffalo Sabres.
• In Boston, Nathan Horton’s second goal of the game led Boston’s three-goal third period as the Bruins beat the Winnipeg Jets 5-3.
• In Uniondale, N.Y., John Tavares had a goal and assist in the second period as the New York Islanders beat the Detroit Red Wings 5-1.
• In Pittsburgh, Milan Michalek scored twice, Craig Anderson stopped 29 shots and the Ottawa Senators beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 5-1.
• In New York, Derek Stepan’s goal in the sixth round of the shootout lifted the New York Rangers past the Phoenix Coyotes 2-1.
• In Tampa, Fla., Mason Raymond scored the lone goal in the shootout and the Vancouver Canucks beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 5-4.
• In St. Paul, Minn., Matt Cullen scored in the third period and in the first round of the shootout to help the skidding Minnesota Wild beat San Jose 5-4, stopping the Sharks’ four-game winning streak.