Note: Announcements for participatory events must be written, delivered, mailed or faxed to The Augusta Chronicle, 725 Broad Street, Augusta, GA 30901, with a return address and phone number. No phone calls are accepted. Fax number is (706) 823-3408. The announcements will be published weekly.
• Martinez Evans Little League is accepting early registration for spring 2012 online at mellbaseball.org/2012-spring-registration.
• The Augusta Area Baseball Umpires Association is recruiting umpires. Experience is not required and training sessions will be conducted. The first meeting is 6:30 p.m. Monday at the Westside High School auditorium. Meetings will be held at 6:30 p.m. every Monday thereafter. For more information, call Bob Culbreath at (803) 507-1646, Frank Harast at (706) 210-1412 or Chuck Stevens at (706) 830-1214.
• The 13-and-under Georgia Lightning AAA baseball team is looking for one or two more players for this season. For more information, call Billy Kelley at (706) 825-9898.
• McCann’s Windward Baseball Academy will run its 2012 Winter Youth Skills Camp Jan. 15 at Riverside Park in Evans. The camp, featuring Howie McCann, father of Brian and Brad McCann, is open to all players ages 7 to 14. Cost is $40 per player, and players should bring gloves, bats, baseball shoes, pants, drinks and a snack. For more information, call Windward Baseball Academy at (770) 619-3303, e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Stacie Adkins of Columbia County Recreations and Events at (706) 312-7400.
• Columbia County spring baseball registration is Jan. 23-Feb. 17 at Patriots Park.
• The Pete Meadows Baseball Program and Putt-Putt Golf & Games is offering a series of free baseball hitting lessons January through March for all youth and high school baseball and softball players. Visit petemeadows.com or call (706) 691-3990.
• The Georgia Pirates are seeking cheerleaders for a minor football league. For more information, contact Robert Jenkins at (706) 829-2140 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
• The Augusta Diving Club is training any high school students who wish to dive for their high school team. No experience is necessary. The season runs until February for those who qualify for state. All practices are held at the Augusta Aquatics Center. Contact Jim Tingen at (706) 726-6805 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A 10-week fencing introduction course for ages 9-12 meets for one hour on Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. All competitive gear is provided. The course’s emphasis is on fun and exercise, as well as learning how to fence. For registration or additional information, call (706) 722-8878.
• Registration is open for a 10-week fencing introduction class at the Augusta Fencers Club. The class is designed for adults, but mature students as young as 14 may apply. The class meets on Thursdays from 6-7 p.m. at the club’s facilities. Cost for the course is $150, and all competitive equipment is provided. Call (706) 722-8878 to register or for additional information.
• The CSRA Cobras are holding tryouts for the 2012 season Saturday and Jan. 21 at 10 a.m. Tryouts will be held at Willie Whaley Park in Burnettown. The tryout fee is $55, with shorts and shirts provided. Athletes are required to bring cleats. The age requirement is 18 and up. For more information, call (803) 634-2731 or e-mail email@example.com.
• The Georgia Pirates are seeking players for a minor football league. For more information, contact Robert Jenkins at (706) 829-2140 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• CSRA Heat Volleyball Club will hold a series of skills clinics Sunday afternoons from today until March 18 at the Augusta Prep gyms for girls in fourth to 11th grades. Cost is $225. For information, go to www.csraheat.com.