Note: Announcements for participatory events must be written, delivered, mailed or faxed to The Augusta Chronicle, 725 Broad Street, Augusta, GA 30901, with a return address and phone number. No phone calls are accepted. Fax number is (706) 823-3408. The announcements will be published weekly.
• Martinez Evans Little League is accepting early registration for spring 2012 online at mellbaseball.org/2012-spring-registration.
• The Augusta Area Baseball Umpires Association is recruiting umpires. Experience is not required and training sessions will be conducted. The first meeting is 6:30 p.m. Jan. 9 at the Westside High School auditorium. Meetings will be held at 6:30 p.m. every Monday thereafter. For more information, call Bob Culbreath at (803) 507-1646, Frank Harast at (706) 210-1412 or Chuck Stevens at (706) 830-1214.
• The 13-and-under Georgia Lightning AAA baseball team is looking for one or two more players for this season. For more information, call Billy Kelley at (706) 825-9898.
• The Augusta Diving Club is training any high school students who wish to dive for their high school team. No experience is necessary. The season runs until February for those who qualify for state. All practices are held at the Augusta Aquatics Center. Contact Jim Tingen at (706) 726-6805 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A 10-week fencing introduction course for ages 9-12 meets for one hour on Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m. All competitive gear is provided. The course’s emphasis is on fun and exercise, as well as learning how to fence. For registration or additional information, call (706) 722-8878.
• Registration is open for a 10-week fencing introduction class at the Augusta Fencers Club. The class is designed for adults, but mature students as young as
14 may apply. The class meets on Thursdays from 6-7 p.m. at the club’s facilities. Cost for the course is $150, and all competitive equipment is provided. Call (706) 722-8878 to register or for additional information.
• The CSRA Cobras are holding tryouts for the 2012 season Jan. 14 and Jan. 21 at 10 a.m. Tryouts will be held at Willie Whaley Park in Burnettown. The tryout fee is $55, with shorts and shirts provided. Athletes are required to bring cleats. The age requirement is 18 and up. For more information, call (803) 634-2731 or e-mail email@example.com.
• Augusta Lacrosse will hold a girls youth lacrosse clinic from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Jan. 28, for grades 4 through 8. The location will be Kelley Field in Martinez. Cost is $40 and includes lunch. To register, call Courtney Hatcher at (706) 814-1978.
• The 2012 Winter Blast 6v6 Soccer Tournament will be Jan. 28-29 at Lions Memorial Field in North Augusta. Cost is $150 per team. For more details, visit csrasoccer.blogspot.com or call (706) 312-7415.
• Georgia Frenzy fast pitch softball is looking for girls to round out a 16-under team. For a tryout, contact Earl McKinley at (706) 825-1753 or Tony Bonitatibus at (706) 951-6525.
• MACH Academy is looking for volunteers. The academy, which operates out of Fleming Tennis Center in south Augusta, provides year-round programs and services, including academic and tutoring support, computer literacy, nutrition, and fitness and tennis instruction. Call (706) 796-5046 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• CSRA Heat Volleyball Club will hold a series of skills clinics Sunday afternoons from Jan. 8 until March 18 at the Augusta Prep gyms for girls in fourth to 11th grades. Cost is $225. For information, go to www.csraheat.com.