Ray Guy's Super Bowl rings up for auction

Ray Guy, arguably the greatest punter in NFL history, is putting his three Super Bowl rings up for auction.

Back | Next
The three gold, diamond encrusted pieces of jewelry are the featured lot at natedsanders.com. The current bid, as of late Tuesday, was $13,110 and had yet to meet the reserve.   natedsanders.com
natedsanders.com

Guy, a standout athlete at Thomson High School and Southern Mississippi University, was a member of the Oakland and Los Angeles Raiders' championship teams in 1977, 1981 and 1984.

The auction runs through Aug. 9.

According to Sports Collectors Daily, the Super Bowl rings, which come with a letter of authenticity from Guy, are expected to sell for between $75,000 and $90,000.

CNBC sports business reporter Darren Rovell tweeted late Monday night that Guy has filed for bankruptcy and is forced to sell the rings.

Reached by cell phone Tuesday, Guy declined to go into details.

"I don't walk to talk about it," he said. "I'm not trying to be hateful, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do."

Guy joined his alma mater, Southern Mississippi, in 2007 and works at the school managing and directing the daily operations of the M-Club Alumni Association, including its membership recruitment initiatives, according to Southern Mississippi's Web site.

In 14 NFL seasons, Guy was a seven-time All-Pro, and he was named to the NFL's 75th anniversary team as the punter. He hasn't been elected yet to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, but Guy is in the Georgia and Mississippi halls of fame, the National High School Sports Hall of Fame and the College Football Hall of Fame.

About the rings

The first ring is from the Raiders' 1977 Super Bowl XI win over the Minnesota Vikings, the Raiders' first championship. It features 28 diamonds.

The second ring is from the Raiders' 1981 victory against the Philadelphia Eagles, the first time a wild-card playoff team won the championship game. The ring features 35 diamonds (one of the large two center stones has been replaced with a cubic zirconium).

The third ring, from Super Bowl XVIII, represents the Raiders' 1984 38-9 win over the Washington Redskins. Ray Guy made a crucial 27-yard punt during the game. The ring features 23 diamonds.

Source: natedsanders.com

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 08/02/11 - 11:07 am
Just damn.

Just damn.

Techfan
Techfan 08/02/11 - 11:27 am
What a freakin' shame. Ray is

What a freakin' shame. Ray is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. It's also a shame that he played before the days of the multi- million dollar contracts. Pretty crappy that with the big time money in the NFL, the current owners and players don't commit more to the older guys that built the game to what it is now.

my.voice
my.voice 08/02/11 - 11:33 am
@Austin +1

@Austin +1

BanjoStang
BanjoStang 08/02/11 - 11:35 am
They'd sell like hotcakes at

They'd sell like hotcakes at the Georgia Dome. Course, you'd have to tell them what they are......

aninsider
aninsider 08/02/11 - 12:04 pm
Such a shame. Ray is such a

Such a shame. Ray is such a NICE guy. He has taken in and helped so many people in the past. I used to tell him that if I found myself homeless, I was coming to his house. He always smiled and said "come on, one more won't matter!". Probably his generous nature contributed to his current state, which is even more of a shame. Wonder where the people who were recipients of his unselfishness are now. Ray, I don't know where you are but I will say a special prayer for you and your family. Wish I had the money to buy these rings and give them back to you.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 08/02/11 - 12:15 pm
too bad. athletes and

too bad. athletes and musicians get bled dry, don't they? i guess that goes with making your money early in a shark tank. hey, what happens to college players when they sell rings. they get in trouble for it, don't they?

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/02/11 - 12:50 pm
Things are tough all over.

Things are tough all over. Even at Ray Guy's house!

Vito45
Vito45 08/02/11 - 01:41 pm
Ray is a super nice guy, but

Ray is a super nice guy, but by accounts of the people who went to school with him, academically challeged. I hope that trait (if true) didn't lead to him getting flim-flammed by agents and charlatans pretending to act in his interest.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/02/11 - 02:10 pm
I don't get it. Ray Guy made

I don't get it. Ray Guy made good money. He moved back to Thomson from Oakland years ago and that made me wonder if something wasn't wrong. Southern boys have to be careful in the big city.

hockeymann
hockeymann 08/02/11 - 03:02 pm
Another victim of Obama's

Another victim of Obama's economic policies...Too bad, but Ray made big bucks..He should've gotten a decent financial advisor earlier in his
pro career...

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/02/11 - 03:40 pm
Get Cam Newton's father to

Get Cam Newton's father to run the auction.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 08/02/11 - 04:30 pm
Too bad that Guy feels it

Too bad that Guy feels it necessary to auction off memorabilia which surely has sentimental value for him.

trimmy
trimmy 08/02/11 - 04:50 pm
All the best to Ray guy.

All the best to Ray guy. Good luck from now on.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/02/11 - 05:23 pm
Craig, article said he was

Craig, article said he was forced to sell them.

coco rubio
coco rubio 08/02/11 - 05:28 pm
he should be in the NFL hall

he should be in the NFL hall of fame too....

hoopshype
hoopshype 08/02/11 - 05:34 pm
obama????? this man started

obama????? this man started making bad financial choices before the current president was even thought about. wowww.

soldout
soldout 08/02/11 - 07:06 pm
If he had spread his

If he had spread his investments between 10 large investment companies this probably would not have happened. You always need diversity of investment managers not just diversity of investments. By going ten ways a couple of crooks won't do you in. Woody Merry teaches that as well as anyone I know. If an advisor tells me he doesn't believe in market timing I know he isn't old enough and I walk out of his office and go elsewhere. The Bible teaches all this and is the best financial handbook anyone could ever learn. May he be blessed with a financial recovery and place in the hall of fame.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 08/02/11 - 07:05 pm
the bible teaches how to play

the bible teaches how to play the stock market? i guess that is filed under prophesy. huh.

SlapShot2
SlapShot2 08/02/11 - 07:16 pm
Ah goodness...this must be

Ah goodness...this must be Deke's fault too.

Pu239
Pu239 08/02/11 - 08:13 pm
Just think if Ray had taken

Just think if Ray had taken his money and built a "mixed-use baseball stadium" on the banks of the Savannah....

lsmith
lsmith 08/02/11 - 08:34 pm
Absolute shame....Ray got

Absolute shame....Ray got messed over by the NFL when playing and still getting messed over by the dunderheads in the industry today. he should have been in the hall of fame long time ago.....and now Petyon manning gets a 90 million dollar 5 year contract? The money is so out of proportion. It's no wonder they athletes today act like spoiled sports....because they are .......spoiled.... Good luck to you Ray...hopefully your day is coming..

corgimom
corgimom 08/02/11 - 09:28 pm
"If an advisor tells me he

"If an advisor tells me he doesn't believe in market timing I know he isn't old enough and I walk out of his office and go elsewhere."

I would say that you are doing the right thing, soldout, because if you don't believe that an advisor is telling you the truth- when they are- yes, you, and they, are better off not dealing with each other.

There IS no such thing as market timing, and anyone that says that there is, is a con artist.

Woody Merry is the same person that is so lacking in self-control, not to mention maturity and intelligence, that he engaged in a public fistfight and was arrested and charged with battery and then sued.

I personally wouldn't allow him to walk my dog Toby, let alone give me financial advice. But if that's who you admire and believe in, by all means, go for it.

I would also like to point out that there is nothing in this story to suggest that Ray Guy was the victim of a "crook" that gave him bad investment advice. It is inappropriate for you to assume that is why he filed for bankrupcy, or that he only had one investment advisor, and that advisor was a "crook".

His bankrupcy could be due to any number of things. Investment in property that has tanked. Too much use of credit cards. Living above his means. Medical bills. Supporting too many households. Poor business decisions. Tax issues. Taking a cut in pay and not downsizing. A divorce. A judgment against him in a lawsuit. Or maybe all of the above.

jbartley
jbartley 08/02/11 - 09:21 pm
Such a shame, but it can

Such a shame, but it can happen to anybody in this economy!!!!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/02/11 - 09:54 pm
This has nothing to do with

This has nothing to do with the subject, but I disagree you can't time the market to a degree that it improves your chances. I trade often and my TV stays on CNBC. Jim Cramer and most other experts will tell you Buy and Hold is no longer appropriate.

soldout
soldout 08/02/11 - 10:01 pm
The truth is the truth no

The truth is the truth no matter who says it, whether you like them or not; and a fact is a fact whether I agree with it or not. And yes, the Bible is full of financial advice. It says there is a time and season for all things which sounds like timing to me. If someone wants to be blessed become a cheerful giver to God's work. Fund managers time the market everyday while they tell others not to do it. The good timers either made money today or didn't lose any. A buy and hold position in the S&P 500 has made 1.9% a year average over the past seven years for a total of 13.3%. Good timing probably has done better, and CDs did do better.

commonsense-is-endangere
commonsense-is-endangere 08/02/11 - 10:08 pm
I would say Lou Groza was

I would say Lou Groza was indeed the best punter.

soldout
soldout 08/02/11 - 10:11 pm
Off the subject but by the

Off the subject but by the way; logic timing made 229.6% using the MDY (S&P 400) in approximately the last seven years which is about 18% annual. His results are verified by a company called timertrac.
( and he isn't the best)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/02/11 - 10:14 pm
To amplify on Corgimom's post

To amplify on Corgimom's post and Riverman's post, I must add:

Buy and Hold is passé.

Market Timing is dead.

The only thing left to survive is insider trading ! ! !

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 08/02/11 - 10:17 pm
All I can say is that this

All I can say is that this is a real shame and I hope everything will work out for Ray. I remember watching him play and he was very good. Such a nice guy to help so many also.

Chris Gay
Chris Gay 08/02/11 - 10:44 pm
You guys kind of came off the

You guys kind of came off the tracks with some of the comments. Ray's a good guy who made some bad choices. Unfortunately, it happens. Let's all hope he can get back on firm financial ground.