Alexander gets win No. 100 with Pacers
In Aiken, Alvin Brown scored 15 points to lead USC Aiken to a 78-72 win over Flagler on Monday night, giving coach Vince Alexander his 100th victory with the Pacers.
Byron Faison and Chase Holmes added 14 points apiece for the Pacers (13-7, 7-6 Peach Belt Conference). Kevin Willis had 13.
D.J. Ferguson had 20 points and 10 assists for Flagler (9-11, 3-9).
In women's action, Daniela Tarailo led USC Aiken with 24 points as the Lady Pacers rolled to a 65-46 victory over Flagler.
It was the third win in a row for the Lady Pacers (19-4, 11-2).
Tierra Ford had 17 points for the Lady Saints (5-15, 2-10).
Gaddy, Wuchte win crowns in wrestling
In Brunswick, Ga., Lakeside's Sean Gaddy won the 215-pound weight class, while Greenbrier's Shane Wuchte captured the 189-pound weight class as a sophomore in last weekend's Region 2-AAAA Individuals.
Wrestlers had to finish among the top four in their weight class to advance to the Sectionals, which will be held Friday and Saturday in Loganville.
Lakeside's Sam Graham and Javeon Brigham also advanced.
For Greenbrier, Wuchte will be joined at Sectionals by Derik Wuchte , Stephen Bailey , Alex Torres and Joey Mondragon .
Evans had a pair of wrestlers -- Nathan Chavez and Kevin Sanders -- advance.
The top eight finishers at Sectionals will advance to the Feb. 17 State Individuals in Gwinnett.
- In Hilton Head, S.C., North Augusta High School golfer Matthew NeSmith and Strom Thurmond standout MacKenzie Talbert won titles at the Sea Pines Junior Heritage at Harbour Town Golf Links on Sunday.
NeSmith shot rounds of 68 and 71 to capture the boys division by three strokes.
Talbert won the girls division by one stroke after carding 72 and 74.
Gators land another blue-chip QB recruit
Florida signed Jacoby Brissett to a national letter of intent, giving the Gators two highly touted quarterbacks in their 2011 class.
Brissett, a 6-foot-5, 225-pounder from Palm Beach Dwyer, is the 19th player to sign with Florida. He will join fellow quarterback Jeff Driskel , who enrolled in January, on campus in July.
Driskel is widely considered the top quarterback prospect coming out of high school this year. Brissett is ranked ninth by Scout.com
- New Michigan coach Brady Hoke hired Curt Mallory to coach the secondary and Jerry Montgomery to coach the defensive line.
- New Indiana football coach Kevin Wilson rounded out his staff by hiring Brandon Shelby as his cornerbacks coach.
Wilson said he had a great relationship with Shelby while Wilson was offensive coordinator at Oklahoma and Shelby was a defensive back for the Sooners.
Blake wins in first match since return
In San Jose, Calif., James Blake won his first competitive match since October, beating qualifier Jesse Levine 7-5, 6-1 in the first round of the SAP Open.
Blake had not played since losing to Lukasz Kubot in the first round in Vienna last October because of shoulder and knee injuries. Blake, a 10-time winner on tour who was once ranked as high as fourth in the world, has fallen to 170th in the latest rankings.
Other first-round winners Monday were Michael Russell , Tim Smyczek , Denis Istomin and Donald Young .
- In Rotterdam, Netherlands, Michael Llodra , of France, defeated Nikolay Davydenko , of Russia, 6-3, 7-6 (4) on the opening day of the ABN Amro World Tennis Tournament.
- In Pattaya, Thailand, third-seeded Maria Kirilenko reached the second round of the Pattaya Open after beating Alberta Brianti in three sets.
The 25th-ranked Russian won 6-0, 4-6, 6-2 in a match that lasted 2 hours, 15 minutes.