EA Sports Tiger Woods video game to feature Masters

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters video game promotional clip, including game previews, from EA Sports.

Millions of golfers will finally get a chance to play Amen Corner or test their skills on Augusta National Golf Club's speedy greens.

Back | Next
Screenshot from Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters video game.   EA Sports
EA Sports
Screenshot from Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters video game.

All they'll need is a copy of the Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters video game.

Billy Payne, chairman of Augusta National and the Masters, announced Tuesday that the tournament has partnered with EA Sports to produce a game that depicts the famous golf course for the first time.

The Masters game will be available in stores March 29. It will be available on the Wii, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The game's cost ranges from $49.99 to $69.99, depending on the game platform.

In addition to Augusta National, the game features St. Andrews and Pebble Beach Golf Links among the 15 other courses to play.

New enhancements to the popular series include Masters Moments, which allows players to try their hand at historic moments, and the Caddie Experience, which offers advice on club selection to reading the greens.

Payne also announced the formation of the Masters Tournament Foundation, which is designed to annually invest in development programs for the game of golf worldwide. All of Augusta National's profits from the video game will be put into the new foundation.

"The establishment of the Masters Tournament Foundation is central to fulfilling our responsibility of supporting the game's continuous growth around the world," Payne said in a prepared statement. "This tradition, shaped by our founders Bobby Jones and Clifford Roberts, is the cornerstone of the foundation's important commitment."

The video game and foundation are part of the tournament's effort to reach a broader audience. Those include the creation of the Junior Pass Program, televising the Par-3 Contest, more digital offerings on Masters.com, the co-founding of the Asian Amateur Championship and financial contributions to The First Tee and major golf organizations around the world.

"Our desire to help grow the game of golf throughout the world is sincere, and it is that commitment that first led us to EA Sports more than three years ago," Payne said. "EA Sports, Tiger Woods and the PGA Tour have developed an extremely successful franchise that responds to one of the popular entertainment choices of kids today. We hope our inclusion will foster an appreciation for the history and traditions of the Masters and inspire the next generation of golfers."

A video game featuring Augusta National has long been sought by golfers.

"For more than a decade, the Masters Tournament has been the most requested and coveted feature for the Tiger Woods PGA Tour franchise among our fans," said Peter Moore, president of EA Sports. "Pairing the number one golf video game franchise with the most prestigious golf tournament in the world is a perfect marriage and we're thrilled to bring our fans this exciting opportunity to experience Augusta National Golf Club like never before."

The game features a chance to relive each of Woods' four Masters wins, and a chance to equal or beat his score in each round.

"I am very happy and excited that the Masters Tournament is featured in the Tiger Woods PGA Tour game," Woods said. "There are many new and unique elements in the game that will make everyone feel like they're really competing at Augusta National."

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 01/04/11 - 11:33 am
FINALLY...way overdue...WAY.

FINALLY...way overdue...WAY.

zcock
zcock 01/04/11 - 11:41 am
I wonder if you score a

I wonder if you score a really low round on "Amens Corner" that it will display one of his mistresses?

dejones
dejones 01/04/11 - 11:45 am
I've been waiting on this for

I've been waiting on this for a long time. Way to Go !!!!

Mwilli5009
Mwilli5009 01/04/11 - 11:48 am
It really is about time. I've

It really is about time. I've never bought a Tiger Woods PGA Tour on release day before. That will change this year.

Batman
Batman 01/04/11 - 11:54 am
Austin, Time I read the

Austin, Time I read the headline I thought about your past comments on this issue. I guess Billy Payne is listening to your show.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 01/04/11 - 12:50 pm
I have had too many

I have had too many discussions with officials over there about this than I can remember...going back at least 7 years...ever since my daughter got interested in the history of WW 2 that "Call of Duty" showed her. I wrote a column back then on the topic...then repeated it four years ago. The piece was actually mentioned in several golf publications and newspapers around the country at the time.

Msmamm
Msmamm 01/04/11 - 12:08 pm
Great Job!! I am looking

Great Job!! I am looking forward to playing ... finally!!

draksig
draksig 01/04/11 - 12:26 pm
The Augusta National regular

The Augusta National regular course has been available for years for EA Sports tiger woods golf. People have been using the Course builder utility to create the National and the unique buildings and landscape for many years now. They also update yearly for the new versions of the game and updates to the course. These can be found in several fan sites for trading custom made courses.

draksig
draksig 01/04/11 - 12:35 pm
The Augusta National course

The Augusta National course has been available for years. People have used the course builder utility to create and share the course for quite a long time. They recreate the course, unique buildings and even update them yearly for course changes.

Still, about time they included it with the game. I can't wait to see the official rendition.

Indigo
Indigo 01/04/11 - 01:30 pm
Why is this front page news?

Why is this front page news?

iLove
iLove 01/04/11 - 02:10 pm
WooHoo! It's about time! I

WooHoo! It's about time! I can't wait until the first week of April, too!!!

Lawpig
Lawpig 01/04/11 - 03:12 pm
It's front page news because

It's front page news because this is Augusta and a large chunk of the population goes crazy over golf and the Augusta National is based here. I know I'm excited about it . . . .

TheChairman
TheChairman 01/04/11 - 03:46 pm
I wonder if this was slated

I wonder if this was slated to be released last year, until you know who did you what with who all..... Seriously, this is awesome news....

Emerydan
Emerydan 01/04/11 - 04:29 pm
Maybe they can include areas

Maybe they can include areas of Augusta outside of the golf course and call it: "EA Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 Masters/Grand Theft Auto Game" Now that would be epic.

Emerydan
Emerydan 01/04/11 - 04:31 pm
just curious, will this game

just curious, will this game include a special section where Tiger visits the strip clubs downtown?

DawgnSC69
DawgnSC69 01/04/11 - 05:10 pm
Will we get to play with the

Will we get to play with the hot women too?
Seriously, this is awsome...

DawgnSC69
DawgnSC69 01/04/11 - 05:12 pm
Oh, and what about the awsome

Oh, and what about the awsome ham & cheese on rye and pimento cheese sandwiches? And the $2 beer?

DawgnSC69
DawgnSC69 01/04/11 - 05:15 pm
It can't be the full effect

It can't be the full effect without all of that...

dejones
dejones 01/04/11 - 07:40 pm
Will there be a pc version ?

Will there be a pc version ?

scorehouse
scorehouse 01/04/11 - 08:42 pm
is that the politically

is that the politically correct version or the prostitute corral version?

iLove
iLove 01/05/11 - 08:40 am
The pimento sandwiches have

The pimento sandwiches have not been the same in recent years. I wonder they still make/made the sandwiches @ WifeSaver?

frankline
frankline 01/05/11 - 05:13 pm
Can't wait to play Augusta on

Can't wait to play Augusta on the Wii with my Chicken Stick golf club. I know I will never get to play there, is as close as I will ever get.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...