Ex-Tiger Martin one back in final stage
In Winter Garden, Fla., Chris Baryla shot 11-under-par 61 on the Crooked Cat course to take a one-stroke lead over former Clemson golfer Ben Martin on Thursday after the second round of the PGA Tour Qualifying Tournament at Orange County National.
Baryla, a 28-year-old Alberta native who graduated from Texas-El Paso, opened with 1-over-par 72 on the Panther Lake course and is at 10-under 133.
Martin, who began the second round two shots back of former teammate Kyle Stanley , had 68 at Crooked Cat. Stanley shot 70 at Panther Lake and is tied for third, two strokes back.
David Robinson , of Sandersville, Ga., is the low golfer with area ties after shooting 72 at Panther Lake. He is tied for 75th at 2 over, one shot ahead of Will Claxton , of Swainsboro, Ga., and North Augusta's Scott Brown .
Claxton shot 72 at Crooked Cat, while Brown had 73. The two are tied for 94th.
Late free throw lifts Jayhawks by Bruins
In Lawrence, Kan., Mario Little hit a free throw with seven-tenths of a second left, lifting No. 4 Kansas (7-0) over UCLA, 77-76.
- In Waco, Texas, LaceDarius Dunn had 24 points as No. 11 Baylor (6-0) stretched its home winning streak to 11 games with a 68-54 victory over Arizona State.
- In Charleston, S.C., Bryan Streeter , Austin Dahn and Zach Urbanus scored 13 points apiece as The Citadel (2-4) beat Georgia Southern 65-52 in their Southern Conference opener. Ben Drayton led the Eagles (2-6) with 14 points.
UConn's win streak reaches 85 games
In Tampa, Fla., Stefanie Dolson scored 16 points, and top-ranked Connecticut (7-0) moved a step closer to the longest Division I winning streak in college basketball history by beginning Big East play with an 80-54 rout of South Florida.
The Huskies extended the longest winning streak by a women's team to 85 games -- three shy of the men's record set by UCLA from 1971-74.
- In Cincinnati, Amber Harris had 28 points and 14 rebounds, helping No. 4 Xavier (7-0) hold off Southern Cal 69-66.
- In Columbus, Ohio, Jantel Lavender had 23 points and 13 rebounds as No. 6 Ohio State (6-0) beat Virginia 74-46.
- In Chapel Hill, N.C., Italee Lucas scored a career-high 34 points, leading No. 14 North Carolina (8-0) to a 79-67 victory over No. 18 Iowa (7-1).
- In West Lafayette, Ind., Lynetta Kizer scored 20 points to help No. 22 Maryland (6-1) rally past Purdue 56-55.
- In Clemson, S.C., Indiana pulled away late to beat the Lady Tigers 65-51.
Lindsey Mason and Shaniqua Pauldo had 10 points apiece to lead Clemson (5-2).
Lineups are set for finale of Davis Cup
In Belgrade, Serbia, Janko Tipsarevic will face Gael Monfils today in the opening singles match of the Davis Cup final between Serbia and France.
The second singles match today pits Serbia's top player Novak Djokovic against Gilles Simon.