Pacers, Jags move up in Division II poll
USC Aiken edged into the top five and Augusta State moved up two spots in the second NABC/Division II coaches poll of the 2010-11 season.
The fifth-ranked Pacers (4-0) broke into the top five for the first time since December 2008. The Jaguars (4-0), ranked 18th, have now been in the top 25 for a school-record 52 consecutive weeks.
- Blaire Egardo scored 14 points, including three 3-pointers, to lead Augusta State's women's basketball team over Allen 70-53 on Tuesday night.
Briyana Evans added 12 points and Jarquella Woods had 10 points, five assists and four rebounds for the Lady Jaguars (3-1). Jemimah Ashby also scored 10.
- In Barnesville, Ga., Anthony Rapley scored 14 points to lead Aiken Tech past Gordon College 77-72.
Jerel Stephenson added 12 points, Lucious Stewart 11 and Ronald Sims 10 for the Knights. Rapley also had seven rebounds.
Defenseman retires from RiverHawks
Augusta RiverHawks coach Brad Ralph confirmed that defenseman Brett Dickinson retired from hockey on Tuesday.
The 24-year-old had two goals and three assists in 11 games.
- The Aiken Junior Golf Alliance presented checks for $2,650 on Tuesday to The First Tee of Aiken, Aiken Hook a Kid on Golf and the S.C. Junior Golf Foundation from the proceeds of its Nov. 8 Pro-Am Tournament at Houndslake Country Club.
Conley's play helps Grizzlies nip Lakers
In Memphis, Tenn., Mike Conley scored 10 of his season-high 28 points in the fourth quarter, and the Grizzlies beat the Los Angeles Lakers 98-96.
- In New York, Amare Stoudemire scored 35 points and the Knicks broke open a close game right after New Jersey lost point guard Devin Harris to injury, beating the Nets 111-100.
- In Orlando, Fla., Mickael Pietrus scored 13 points, J.J. Redick had 10 points and the two reserves combined to help the Magic pull away for a 90-79 victory over the Detroit Pistons.
- In Cleveland, Rajon Rondo scored a season-high 23 points with 12 assists to lead the Boston Celtics past the Cavaliers 106-87.
- In Philadelphia, Elton Brand scored 18 points as the 76ers beat the Portland Trail Blazers 88-79.
Predators shut out Coyotes in victory
In Nashville, Tenn., Pekka Rinne made 33 saves for his third shutout of the season in the Predators' 3-0 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes.
- In Toronto, Simon Gagne made an impressive return to the Tampa Bay Lightning lineup, scoring 1:15 into overtime for a 4-3 victory over the Maple Leafs.
- In Chicago, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews each scored his second goal of the game late in the third period to shut off a St. Louis Blues rally and send the Blackhawks to a 7-5 victory.