Grooms released from Lakeside contract

The Columbia County school board voted this morning to release former Lakeside football coach Jody Grooms from his contract.

Former Lakeside High Coach Jody Grooms  File
File
Former Lakeside High Coach Jody Grooms

Grooms' final day will be Friday.

After three seasons as Panthers coach, Grooms is leaving to become head football coach and athletic director at Wayne County High School. He replaces former Thomson assistant Mark Daniel, who was the Yellow Jackets' head coach and athletic director the past two seasons.

Grooms' record at Lakeside was 20-12. In 2009, he coached the Panthers to their first state playoff victory and the Region 3-AAAA title.

Following the 2007 season, Grooms was stripped of his duties as athletic director and suspended the first two games of the 2008 season after the Panthers ran an illegal play during the final regular season game.

Grooms said last week his children would finish the school year in Columbia County. He said he planned to live in an apartment near his new school and commute to be with his family when needed.

Lakeside principal Jeff Carney and the school's search committee are accepting applications. They plan to conduct interviews the first week of March.

Grooms said he is bringing strength coach and defensive coordinator John Creager with him to Wayne County. What other Lakeside staffers join them will depend on the result of the Panthers' coaching search.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/24/10 - 01:31 pm
Jody Grooms worked a miracle

Jody Grooms worked a miracle at Lakeside. I hope the assistant coaches were taking notes and will somehow continue his work.

Creager, the architect of the fabulous defense is leaving, too, unfortunately. Creager also is the one who inspired the tremendous physical change in the players with the weight lifting and running. Keep him in mind as a future head coach. There is no doubt Wayne Cty will be a force in the future.

Lakeside is a great place for a coach. Columbia County's wealthiest area and committed players. I promise you if a coach needs something to help the team, he will get it at LHS. Any thoughts on who the next coach will be? Stephen?

augfootballfan
augfootballfan 02/24/10 - 02:01 pm
i have heard four names

i have heard four names passed about. I have heard current Lakeside asst coaches Johnson, and Troextler, and have also heard Kevin Hunt from Greenbrier and Cross Creek, And also Hughes from Richmond Academy. Those are the names i have heard of passed about here locally. That doesnt include those outside of the area. I am sure Lakeside will have thier choice from a number of applicants

augfootballfan
augfootballfan 02/24/10 - 02:02 pm
the article states "Grooms

the article states "Grooms said he is bringing John Creager with him to Wayne County. What other Lakeside staffers join them will depend on the result of the Panthers' coaching search."
Sounds like those asst coaches really dont want to be at Lakeside anyway if they are looking to leave depending on coaching search.. i say good riddance if u dont want to be there.

Chillen
Chillen 02/24/10 - 02:20 pm
When they do find someone new

When they do find someone new why bother to even have an employment contract? Just save the legal fees. They obviously don't bother to enforce them in Columbia County.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/24/10 - 02:24 pm
Chillen, I believe Grooms'

Chillen, I believe Grooms' contract will be up at the end of the school year. So it's better to stop paying him now and hire a new coach who will have valuable months to prepare. Of course, it's also best for Grooms to be allowed to prepare for the next season at Wayne Cty.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/24/10 - 02:26 pm
Don't misunderstand me,

Don't misunderstand me, because I will be with the new coach, whoever he is. But the current assistants were there before Grooms when LHS struggled. If Carney is not convinced they learned under Grooms, he should go outside the school. But the ideal situation would be that one of the assistants picked up on Grooms ideas and is ready to go.

IsAmericaFree
IsAmericaFree 02/24/10 - 02:27 pm
Chances are Chillen, he had

Chances are Chillen, he had to "buy-out" the rest of his contract. It seems around here it's sports first, education second. Anyone realize he actually taught classes? Those students are mid-way through the sememster! I hope LHS gives them a teacher for the remainder of the year and not rotate substitutes.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/24/10 - 02:38 pm
IsAmericaFree, I admit that

IsAmericaFree, I admit that part bothers me. We had a student on the boards posting what a great American Government teacher he was, but that aside, it's best for both to let him go.

Chillen
Chillen 02/24/10 - 02:36 pm
I hope he had to buy out the

I hope he had to buy out the contract because it will cost money to do a search to replace him. That would be only fair. I'd love to see the "terms". But still, a contract is a contract. Lakeside is not likely to get anyone in there during this school year either.

And wow, I didn't think about his classes. I'm sure a sub will step in. My child had a sub this year for 3 months - in a college bound, upper level Junior/Senior math class! It didn't work out so well, we are glad the regular teacher is back.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/24/10 - 03:06 pm
A good high school coach is

A good high school coach is important to a high school program no matter what sport it is. He doesn't have that many assistants to work with and it is up to him to motivate the team, potential players and the entire school. Invariably, the coach who is more energetic, intense and harder working ends up with a successful program and a winning team.

I followed Columbia County high school baseball when my son played and studied Terry Holder when we played against him. He is the most successful coach around here, ever. He was a red-faced, arguing with umpires, person whom I thought was going to have a heart attack more than once during games. He was involved and wanted to win more than the players it seemed. His tirades after a loss are well known.

Thomson knew what they were doing when they brought him there and he was making 6 figures these past years. The program has begun under him in earnest.

Folks, this is preparation for real life and these lessons will stay with these boys. They won't give up, they will relish winning. I've been there, done it...and my son has, too. Let's hope we get a Terry Holder-Jody Grooms type coach at LHS.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/24/10 - 02:58 pm
Three years too late

Three years too late

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 02/24/10 - 03:03 pm
It seems that every one

It seems that every one posting is forgetting the fact that Grooms ran an illegal play and that is the reason he is now leaving. The play made national fame and was even on youtube. Is this how you teach players to win, run an illegal play from the sidelines? It was Grooms decision to run the play, didn't he know better? And suppose he had gotten away with it? What kind of an example would that have set? When one wins honestly and with one's own talent and abilities, it is the best feeling in the world. But to win by cheating never leaves the sense of accomplishment.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/24/10 - 03:08 pm
Mirror, he didn't win that

Mirror, he didn't win that game. All coaches in all sports teach how to get the refs-umpires to miss violations and make calls in their favor.

Lakeside95 02/24/10 - 03:38 pm
Good riddance. I hope that

Good riddance. I hope that the new coach will take the LHS reputation as an academic force seriously.
I had a 'coach' as my World History teacher. The extra credit points on his tests were to match up the city with the mascot (atlanta-falcons, miami-dolphins). No football player ever failed his classes...and I certainly didn't have the benefit of a teacher...especially on Fridays.

Barry Paschal 02/24/10 - 03:45 pm
themaninthemirror: No one is

themaninthemirror: No one is "forgetting" that play. Maybe everyone is just tired of beating a dead horse.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/24/10 - 03:48 pm
Lakeside95, even though you

Lakeside95, even though you didn't have tough Fridays in your History class, did you do okay or does history still give you problems?

Lakeside95 02/24/10 - 03:56 pm
Riverman: I can tell you that

Riverman: I can tell you that I missed out on the depth of instruction that many other students had with teachers that were not coaching a sport. Thank goodness I had a real teacher for American Government, or 'what I want to do when I grow up' paper would have been drastically different. Yes, I do believe I had less of an education with a coach as my World History teacher. But I also know that not many students would complain about 'missing out' on a full lecture about the differences between nomads and hunter/gatherer societies.

augfootballfan
augfootballfan 02/24/10 - 04:00 pm
any word on who LHS is

any word on who LHS is wanting

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/24/10 - 04:07 pm
LHS95, I admire your quest

LHS95, I admire your quest for learning, but wouldn't you agree that coaches teaching in most schools ends up with classes like that? The accolades I heard about Grooms teaching were definitely not the norm, I'll admit. I'll also note you don't say Grooms was your teacher.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/24/10 - 04:09 pm
Augfootballfan, I have no

Augfootballfan, I have no idea, but only one assistant coach went with him.

Lander
Lander 02/24/10 - 08:01 pm
Coach has already been

Coach has already been decided. Anyone else is just going through the motions. As for a great place to coach.... you need only talk to a few of the coaches there. No administrative support (only a necessary evil for the Principal) and the parents call the shots...