Pacers, Falcons split doubleheader
In Aiken, USC Aiken won the opener of its doubleheader with Montevallo 7-1 on Friday before dropping the second game 9-1.
Jason Cochcroft pitched a complete game for the Pacers (27-19, 9-14 Peach Belt Conference) in the opener. He allowed one run and struck out four.
Blaine Rosenberg drove in four runs for the Falcons (19-25, 7-16) in their Game 2 win.
- In Knoxville, Tenn., Matt Duffy 's RBI single in the bottom of the 10th inning lifted Tennessee (22-15, 5-11 Southeastern Conference) to 5-4 win over Georgia.
Connor Welton had two RBI for the Bulldogs (19-20, 9-7).
- In Clemson, S.C., Dominic Leone allowed three hits in 8q shutout innings to lead Clemson (24-13, 10-9 Atlantic Coast Conference) to a 2-0 win over Wake Forest (15-24, 6-13).
- In Atlanta, Mark Pope pitched a complete-game shutout, striking out five to lead Georgia Tech (28-11, 15-4 Atlantic Coast Conference) to a 2-0 win over Boston College (14-21, 6-12).
- Fox Creek senior Rick Hickson signed a letter of intent to play for Paine College.
USC Aiken earns bid to NCAA Tournament
USC Aiken will make its 19th appearance in the NCAA Division II Tournament in the past 20 years after being selected to the 80-team field on Friday.
The Pacers are the No. 9 seed in the South/Southeast Regional, which will be contested May 2-4 at Victoria Hills Golf Club in DeLand, Fla.
- In Blythewood, S.C., Chris Thompson shot 6-under-par 66 to take a three-stroke lead into today's final round of the eGolf Tour's Columbia Open.
Thompson, a native of Lawrence Kan., is at 17-under 198. Four players are tied for second.
Cortland Lowe (72, 208) and Matt Hendrix (69, 208) are the top golfers with local ties. Scott Parel (72, 209) and Kevin Grady (70, 209) are also in the field.
Augusta State adds defensive specialist
Augusta State coach Sharon Bonaventure announced the signing of Chelsea Foster, a defensive specialist out of Centennial High School in Roswell, Ga., on Friday.
Jackets will hold T-Day game today
Georgia Tech's T-Day spring game will be held at noon today at Bobby Dodd Stadium. Admission is free.
Hurricanes bring in Larranaga as coach
George Mason's athletic director says Jim Larranaga is leaving to become the men's basketball coach at the University of Miami.
Larranaga led the Patriots to a surprising Final Four berth in the 2006 NCAA Tournament.
- Forward Brandon Davies expects to suit up next season for Brigham Young despite missing this year's NCAA Tournament run for violating the university's honor code.
- Georgetown sophomore Hollis Thompson and Texas players Tristan Thompson , Jordan Hamilton and Cory Joseph will enter the NBA Draft.
- Forward Ari Stewart transferred to Southern California after two seasons at Wake Forest.
Nadal breezes into semis at Barcelona
In Barcelona, Spain, Rafael Nadal cruised into the Barcelona Open semifinals after dispatching Gael Monfils 6-2, 6-2 on Friday.
David Ferrer, who needed treatment on his left calf, defeated Jurgen Melzer 6-3, 6-3.
Ferrer will play Nicolas Almagro, who defeated Juan Carlos Ferrero 6-3, 6-3.
- In Fez, Morocco, in a match featuring 18 breaks of serve, Dinara Safina edged fellow Russian Anastasia Pivovarova 6-4, 2-6, 6-4 to reach the semifinals of the Grand Prix SAR.
Safina will play Alberta Brianti, who defeated Melanie Oudin 7-5, 5-7, 6-0.