Kisner leads way after opening 64
In Humble, Texas, Aiken’s Kevin Kisner is off to a blistering start in the second stage of the PGA Tour Qualifying Tournament.
Kisner, who lost his tour card after finishing 181st on the money list last year, opened with 8-under-par 64 to lead the way at Redstone Golf Club.
Aiken native Matt Hendrix is tied for eighth place after 68 and Patrick Reed, of Martinez, is tied for 56th place after 73.
The PGA Tour has not announced how many players from this second stage will advance to the finals, which run Nov. 30-Dec. 5 at PGA West in LaQuinta, Calif.
This is one of six second-stage sites across the country. They are all 72-hole events.
• In Hilton Head Island, S.C., Salil Ghamande, of Evans, shot 74-77–151 to win the boys 14-under division of an International Junior Golf Tour event.
Ghamande won the division by 10 shots at the Planter’s Row course at Port Royal Plantation.
It was the tour’s first major championship of the 2011-12 season.
Augusta’s Nix Duncan shot 75-84–159 to finish 23rd in the 15-19 age division.
Games canceled through Dec. 15
The NBA formally notified teams Tuesday that it has canceled games through Dec. 15, a source told ESPN.com.
The news came only hours before players filed an antitrust complaint against the league in Minnesota.
Lady Pacers sign three for softball
USC Aiken has signed three South Carolina prep stars – Andrea Daring, Sarah Montei and Taylor Morgan – to national letters-of-intent.
Daring played at Thomas Heyward Academy in Ridgeland, S.C.; Montei is from Summerville High School in Summerville, S.C.; and Morgan played at Chapin High School in Chapin, S.C.
• USC Aiken’s Chinedu Arinze was chosen to the second team of the 2011 Daktronics NCAA Division II All-Southeast Region team.
The junior tied for second among Pacers in the 2011 season with six points on two goals and two assists.
Parapan Am Games
Winkler breaks shotput record
In Guadalajara, Mexico, Grovetown’s Scott Winkler set an American record in the shot put while winning the gold medal in the Parapan American Games.
Winkler, who is trying to make the London Paralympic Summer Games in 2013, hit the mark on his third of six throws. He will compete in the discus today.
Bruins make it six wins in a row
In Boston, Benoit Pouliot scored the tiebreaking goal with 3:01 left in the third period to give the Boston Bruins a 4-3 victory over the New Jersey Devils. The Bruins have won six in a row.
• In Uniondale, N.Y., Brad Richards’ go-ahead goal with 4:55 remaining snapped a tie and sent the New York Rangers to their seventh consecutive victory, 4-2, over the New York Islanders.
• In Columbus, Cal Clutterbuck scored in the third period and the Minnesota Wild rallied for a 4-2 win over the Columbus Blue Jackets.
• In Pittsburgh, James Neal had a goal and two assists as the Pittsburgh Penguins rallied past the Colorado Avalanche 6-3.
• In Toronto, Patrick O’Sullivan and Radim Vrbata scored shootout goals as the Phoenix Coyotes beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-2.