Consecutive blown fourth-quarter leads have cost Juan Castillo his job as the Philadelphia Eagles’ defensive coordinator.
Castillo was fired Tuesday and replaced by secondary coach Todd Bowles.
Coach Andy Reid dismissed his longtime assistant who was surprisingly switched to defense after 13 seasons coaching the offensive linemen. Castillo was with the Eagles for 18 years, longer than any coach in franchise history.
“We’re six games into the season and average isn’t good enough,” Reid said in a statement. “I know the potential of our team and insist on maximizing it.”
Castillo has been under the microscope in Philadelphia, with nearly every move he’s made being scrutinized intensely. He was promoted to defensive coordinator after a long search and with new defensive line coach Jim Washburn already in place running a wide-nine scheme.
CARDINALS: Quarterback Kevin Kolb has rib cartilage damage and will be sidelined, in the team’s words, “an unspecified period of time.”
John Skelton, who beat out Kolb for the starting job in the preseason and just now is returning to health from a sprained left ankle, will again be the starter.
SEAHAWKS: Richard Sherman says he has no regrets over the strong comments and messages from his Twitter account following the Seattle Seahawks’ victory over the New England Patriots on Sunday.
The Seahawks cornerback, who had an interception Sunday, said Tuesday that he was directed to remove a picture from his Twitter account that showed Sherman talking to Patriots quarterback Tom Brady after Seattle’s 24-23 win that included an added message ‘U Mad Bro?”
But when asked if he regretted any of the attention that has come his way, Sherman said, “I don’t regret anything about the situation. It is what it is.”
CHIEFS: Quarterback Matt Cassel, who sat out last week’s game at Tampa Bay with a concussion, has been cleared for non-contact practice and could play in the Chiefs’ next game on Oct. 28 against Oakland.
BOUNTIES: A federal magistrate judge ordered NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to provide the court with documents related to the league’s bounty investigation of the New Orleans Saints.
The order by Magistrate Daniel Knowles comes in response to suspended linebacker Jonathan Vilma’s efforts to initiate the discovery process in his defamation case against the commissioner.
Vilma says the NFL has allowed him to review only a fraction of documents related to bounty matter.
Knowles has issued a compromise order in which only the court, and not Vilma, might see the documents – “including reports of interviews with witnesses”– before a subsequent order is made on whether to allow discovery to proceed.
STEELERS: Suspended rookie nose tackle Alameda Ta’amu two games without pay following his arrest over the weekend.