Kurt Busch earns second Nationwide victory of season

Kurt Busch edges Ricky Stenhouse Jr. to win a crash-filled Nationwide Series race at Daytona on Friday.



DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — Kurt Busch won a wild Nationwide race at Daytona International Speedway on Friday night, holding off three challengers over the final hundred yards in a battered race car.

Busch’s victory was his second this season, each with different teams. He won for his brother, Kyle Busch Motorsports, at Richmond earlier in the year. He took the checkered flag for Phoenix Racing on Friday.

The race had several crashes that left less than half the field on the lead lap for a green-white-checkered finish. Busch started the two-lap sprint pushing Austin Dillon, but made a move to the front with a lap left and then held off Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Michael Annett and Dillon as they neared the finish line.

Stenhouse was second, followed by Annett, Dillon and Joey Logano.

Danica Patrick was involved in one of the wrecks and finished 31st.

INDYCAR: Slumping Dario Franchitti had a good day on the track in Toronto, where the four-time IndyCar champion is hoping to turn around his season.

Franchitti was fastest of all the drivers in Friday’s practice session at Exhibition Place. Franchitti is the defending race winner.

Simon Pagenaud was second fastest and was followed by Franchitti’s teammate, Scott Dixon.

Hinchcliffe was on track in the first session, but was 15th.

• Justin Wilson blamed a faulty transmission for causing an accident in pit lane that sent two crew members to the hospital during the first practice session.

Sebastien Bourdais’ pit crew member Chuck Homan sustained the most severe injury after he had his leg pinned between two cars. Raffi Aroyan, also a member of Bourdais’ Dragon Racing team, was also taken to hospital with an ankle injury.

The crash happened in the pits, when Wilson had difficulty stopping his car and ran into the back of Bourdais’ parked car.

In a statement posted on his Web site, Wilson said he was stuck in first gear and couldn’t get it into neutral. Compounding the problem, Wilson said, was the car’s brakes were cold making it even more difficult for him to stop.

“At the last second I tried to dive into the wall to take the speed off, but those guys were there and had no idea I was coming,” Wilson said. “I really hope they are OK.”

Two others were hurt in the accident and were treated and released from the infield care center.


FORMULA ONE: The test driver who lost her eye after crashing during a team exercise had more facial surgery on Friday and is no longer in critical condition.

Maria de Villota was on her first official test with the Marussia team on Tuesday when she hit the support truck in an exercise at an airfield in England.

De Villota had surgery late Tuesday and the follow-up procedure was planned if her condition remained stable.

The team noted she remains “acutely ill” but “she has been responding well to the treatment she has received since her accident.”