Augusta RiverHawks fall in overtime to the Mississippi Surge

Mississippi Surge 2, Augusta RiverHawks 1, overtime

Augusta goalie Robert Moss and his Mississippi counterpart Kiefer Smiley entered Saturday’s game not having allowed a goal in their past five combined periods. The two proved just as effective facing each other for the second consecutive game.


In a tight, defensive struggle, the Mississippi Surge were able to pull out a 2-1 overtime win at James Brown Arena at the end of what was otherwise a strong three-game stretch for the Augusta RiverHawks, winning two of three this week.

“We’ll take this type of play every week,” interim coach Mark Richards said. “It was a disappointing game, but looking at the big picture, with the momentum we’ve built and playing better, I think the guys are buying in.”

Moss entered Saturday on the momentum of a Friday shutout against Mississippi, and he had not allowed a goal in his past four periods dating back to Thursday against Fayetteville. He was a combined 39 for 39 entering Saturday and was 17 for 17 before allowing a goal in the third period.

“He should be player of the week,” Richards said. “He has played phenomenal and given us a chance to win. We’re confident and proud of him.”

Smiley relieved Mississippi goalie Dan Clark for the final period of Friday’s game and did not allow a goal in 12 shot attempts. He took that momentum into his first start since Dec. 1 and shut the RiverHawks out for two periods before also allowing a goal in the third.

The Surge found net 5:43 into the third period to break the scoreless tie. James Isaacs hit a slap shot toward the goal that bounced off RiverHawks defender Ian Jensen and into the net.

Augusta responded with 7:23 left when Dennis Sicard found the puck off a defensive bounce and tied it at 1-1.

In overtime, Moss and Smiley fought and withstood several shot attempts on both sides until Mississippi’s Tommy Lange found net 3:56 into the period for a Surge win.

Moss went 26 for 28 for the RiverHawks, while Smiley went 35 for 36 for the Surge.

“We’re a blue collar team,” Moss said. “We have to work hard every shift, and playing this much takes some energy out of us. We play a demanding, physical brand of hockey. But kudos to the guys for playing as well as they did this week.”


STAR OF THE GAME: Mississippi’s Kiefer Smiley saved 35 of 36 shot attempts to preserve a 2-1 win for the Surge.

KEY PLAY: In overtime, Mississippi’s Tommy Lange scored the game-winning goal, his eighth on the season.

NEXT: Columbus at Augusta, Thursday, 7:35 p.m.



Sat, 11/18/2017 - 21:21

First buck taken