Wildcats advance to state semifinals

Westminster 2, The Weber School 0

It looked a little different – no finish with the foot or off the head found here – but Joe Coleman made his back do the trick.


Off a corner from Seth Robinson, the Westminster boys soccer team scored its first goal on a play designed to get the ball to bounce off the back. The goal sparked a 2-0 win Thursday night against The Weber School in a Georgia Independent School Association Class AAA state quarterfinal.

Coleman scored both goals in the win, one in each half.

“That actually was a new set play we just introduced (Wednesday),” Wildcats coach Mike Freace said. “It was exciting, because the first time we ever ran it, we scored on it.”

Westminster (13-1) had possession of the ball for most of the match, and it was rewarded with that first goal with 24:58 to go in the first half.

The Wildcats piled up chances, including one attempt that appeared to hit the post, but they didn’t get the security of a second goal until only 19:42 was left in the game.

The Rams’ keeper came out away from the goal to challenge the play on the second tally, but the ball got through. That gave Coleman a keeper-free net to fire toward, and his shot was true.

Playing from behind since before the halfway point of the opening half, the Rams (9-3) tried to get one by Westminster’s Trey Newton, but there weren’t many shots.

The visitors would have to get a goal against the run of play as the Wildcats kept the action contained to one side of the field.

Weber’s best chance occurred when it was down 1-0. Joseph Brickman got into a run for a shot, but Newton went up for the save and the rebound was booted out of bounds.

There wasn’t a better opportunity for the Rams after that.

“They have a good combination of speed and size,” The Weber School coach Jimmy Priest said. “When you put it in the air, you play into their strengths. We were unfortunate enough to not play enough on the ground.”



Tue, 12/12/2017 - 21:56

Glenn Hills rallies to top Laney