Time finally comes for Wolfpack


Alan Troutman charged out of his net as the buzzer marked the end of the third quarter Tuesday night.


With his team holding the momentum and ahead by three goals, the junior goalkeeper sensed that Greenbrier's night had finally come against its lacrosse rival.

It turns out he was right.

The Wolfpack finally notched their first victory over Lakeside, finishing strong in an 11-8 win thanks to Troutman's stellar play and an unexpected three-goal night from Matt Keskula.

"Anytime we play Lakeside, it's a big game," said Troutman, who made 10 saves, including several from point-blank range.

"I just want to be the best at my game because I know if I didn't do my best, then I let the team down."

Greenbrier entered 0-8 all-time against Lakeside.

The victory put Greenbrier above .500 for the first time in program history and gave the Wolfpack (4-3, 2-2 Area 4-AAAA/A) a substantial leg up in the race for a playoff spot.

Greenbrier never trailed, gaining a 5-4 halftime lead after a back-and-forth first half.

Midway through the third quarter, Lakeside's Austin Brown responded to a go-ahead goal by Greenbrier's Tyler Starnes with a tying goal just 12 seconds later.

Despite temporarily losing the momentum, Greenbrier responded in a big way after a five-minute scoreless stretch for both teams.

Parker Ellison put the Wolfpack back up with a low shot past goalkeeper Micky Reville. Just 13 seconds later, Andrew Campbell scored to make it a two-goal game.

Keskula then capped a three-goal stretch in a span of 28 seconds, putting Greenbrier up 9-6.

Lakeside (4-4, 0-2) drew back within one after a pair of goals from John Carter.

However, Richard Savage answered, stepping into his shot and sending a screamer into the back of the net.

Keskula, one of four Wolfpack captains, came into the game having played as a defensive stopper. Coach Jeff Becker decided to use him and his height advantage on the offensive end, and it paid off.

"In all honesty, I don't even know how two of them went in," said Keskula, who scored his third goal with 2:41 left in the match. "That was a complete change in role for me. It's unbelievable."