Five golfers with local ties will tee it up in the final stage of PGA Tour Qualifying School this week. The six-round tournament, which runs today through Monday, is being held at PGA West (Nicklaus Tournament and PGA Stadium courses) in LaQuinta, Calif. The final three rounds will be televised on Golf Channel.
The top 25 finishers and ties – 173 players are entered – at the conclusion will earn their 2012 PGA Tour cards. The following number of players nearest 50 will receive fully-exempt status for the 2012 Nationwide Tour season. The remaining players will receive conditional status on the Nationwide Tour in 2012.
Here’s a look at the local participants:
• Vaughn Taylor: Evans resident and former Augusta State golfer is seeking to better his position for the 2012 PGA Tour season. The former Ryder Cupper and two-time tournament winner, Taylor finished 148th on the money list this year and has conditional status for next year.
• Matt Hendrix: Aiken native and former Clemson golfer earned almost $130,000 on the Nationwide Tour this year and has fully-exempt status for next season. He is seeking his return to the PGA Tour after missing the cut in 17 of 24 events in his 2007 rookie season.
• Kevin Kisner: Aiken resident and former Georgia golfer won the second stage of Q-School in Texas. He made 10 of 24 cuts and earned $270,170, on the PGA Tour this year, his first season.
• Scott Parel: Augusta resident is seeking his first PGA Tour card. He earned almost $100,000 on the Natiowide and eGolf tours and also tied for second in the second stage of Q-School in Florida.
• Will Claxton: Swainsboro native and former Auburn golfer is seeking his first PGA Tour card after playing in nine Nationwide Tour events and one PGA Tour tournament (tie for 67th at Transitions Championship) this year.
On Friday, former Augusta State All-American Patrick Reed will begin play in the second round of European Tour Q-School at El Valle Golf Resort in Murcia, Spain.
Reed, who lives in Martinez, is among the field of 310, spread across four locations throughout Spain. Eighty players will advance to the final stage, Dec. 10-15, in Girona, Spain.