Vera Jean Elkins, of Carrollton, Texas, has graduated with a bachelor’s degree in communications from Dallas Baptist University. She is the wife of Bob Elkins and the daughter of Vicki Dickerson and Billy Pierce, of Augusta.
Beth Caldwell was named a 2012-13 Autry Fellow at MDC, a nonprofit organization focusing on economic equality and reducing poverty. Caldwell is a 2008 graduate of John S. Davidson Fine Arts Magnet School and a 2012 graduate of Brown University.
• Army Spc. Ashley J. Ortiz-Beasley has graduated from basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C. The 2003 graduate of Cross Creek High School and 2009 graduate of Augusta State University is the daughter of Jose Ortiz.
• Pfc. Thaddeus K. McBride has graduated from basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C. He is the son of Tanya McBride and the brother of Terry Coleman. He is a 2011 graduate of Glenn Hills High School.
• Pfc. Malcolm J. Mays has graduated from basic training at Fort Jackson, S.C. He is the son of Karen and Mack Mays of Hephzibah and is a 2010 graduate of Butler High School.
Katie H. Justice and Tara E. Keilholtz, both of Hephzibah, were named dean’s scholars at Piedmont College for maintaining a perfect 4.0 grade point average for the summer semester.
• Incoming University of Georgia freshman Bradleigh Carpenter, the daughter of Marc and Maria Carpenter, was awarded the One UGA Scholarship, which provides $1,500 a year in addition to the HOPE scholarship. She is a graduate of Evans High School.
• Anna Hadsell, an incoming UGA freshman, was among 18 incoming freshmen awarded the University of Georgia’s Baldwin Scholarship. Each student receives $2,000 in addition to the HOPE scholarship. She is the daughter of Michael and Pamela Hadsell and a graduate of John S. Davidson Fine Arts Magnet School.
• Paine College business senior Arthur Williams was a 2012 recipient of the $1,000 National Black McDonald’s Operators Association scholarship, an award given out by franchise operators. Christine Crawford, who owns or operates seven Augusta-area McDonald’s franchises, attributed Williams’ selection to his character and business skills.
Anna Richardson was named to the Medical College of Georgia’s Dean’s List for the summer semester.
Warren A. Whisnant was named to the Distinguished List at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College for the summer semester.