Note: Announcements for participatory events must be written, delivered, mailed or faxed to The Augusta Chronicle, P.O. Box 1928, Augusta, GA 30903-1928, with a return address and phone number. No phone calls are accepted. Fax number: (706) 823-3408. The announcements will be published weekly.
l The Thomson-McDuffie Recreation Department will begin a fall travel baseball league for the following age groups: 8-under machine pitch; 8-under kid pitch; 9-under; 10-under; and 11-under. Play will be on Saturdays only, on the following dates: Sept. 13 and 27 ; Oct. 4 and 18 ; and Nov. 1 . Teams will play two games per Saturday for a total of 10 games. All games will be played at Sweetwater Park Complex in Thomson. The entry fee for the leagues will be $400 for machine pitch and $500 for all other leagues. Baseballs will be supplied. For more information, call (706) 595-2152 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Columbia County Recreation Department is looking for individuals 16 and older to officiate youth baseball. For more information, contact Gary Tam at (706) 312-7409 or Jim Mock at (706) 312-7407.
- The Georgia Lightning 14-under travel baseball team is looking for several dedicated players for the upcoming season. For more information, contact Billy Kelley at (706) 825-9898.
- The Harlem Crush 11U travel baseball team is looking for dedicated players. Pitchers are a plus. If you are interested, contact Emmett Perdue at (706) 556-8335 or (706) 825-8591 or Bobby Burke at (706) 863-0696.
- The Southeastern Baseball Showcase will be held at W. L. Bill Evans Field in College Park, Ga. on Oct. 18 at noon. The showcase is for students in the high school classes of 2009 and 2010. For more information, visit www.angelfire.com/sports/showcase or call (404) 869-7966.
- The 13-under Cyclones baseball team is looking for two players who can pitch as well as play other positions. The team is based out of Augusta. If interested, contact Steve at (706) 394-1813 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Atomic City Sports will play host to the fourth annual USSSA Peach Belt Border Bash NIT youth baseball tournament on Sept. 13-14 at Citizens Park in Aiken. The tournament is open to all baseball teams 8-18U. For entry information, visit www.atomiccitysports.org or call (803) 292-9993.
- The AUG Lady Ballers will hold a benefit event on Oct. 11 at the YMCA on Wheeler Road to help raise money for the Alzheimer's Association. The event will consist of the following activities: a dance off, a fashion show, basketball games for both men and women, and motivational guest speakers. If you would like to participate in the games, model or take part in the event in any way, please call Cheryl Bryant at (706) 360-0299 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact the Lady Ballers at (706) 434-0169.
- The Augusta Boxing Club will present open-to-the-public sparring matches on the last Thursday of each month at the Augusta Boxing Club, located at 1929 Walton Way. There is no charge for attendance, and the public is welcome to come as spectators. Adult boxers must weigh in the previous Monday, and youth participants must weigh in on Tuesday to be eligible to spar. For more information, call trainer Tom Moraetes at (706) 733-7533.
- The final day of competition in the Full Gallop Farm Horse Trials is today at Full Gallop Farm, located at 2828 Wagener Road in Aiken. The competition is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. Horses will compete in various events, including dressage, cross country and show jumping. For more information pertaining to the event, contact Lara Anderson at (803) 644-6789 or visit www.fullgallopfarm.com.
- The Augusta Fencers Club is holding registration for a 10-week beginners foil class. The class is for ages 14 and up and will meet on Thursdays from 6 to 6:50 p.m., beginning next week . Cost for the course is $150. All competitive equipment is provided. For more information or to register, call (706) 722-8878.
- The Town of Jackson, S.C. will have a fishing tournament on Oct. 11. The tournament will be held at the Aiken County Boat Landing. Contests will include different categories of fish. For more information, call Lynn Sullivan at (803) 471-9778.
- The Aiken/Edgefield District of the South Carolina Football Officials Association is looking for individuals interested in becoming football officials. Those interested in the program must possess a high school diploma, a high school certificate or its equivalent to join. For more information, call Ron Paul at (803) 221-9218 or Steve Hook at (860) 303-3718.
- The Augusta Recreation and Parks Department's fall registration for adult flag football runs through today . For information or to register, call Lida Gregg at (706) 842-2682.
l The Eagle Sports Guardians football team is looking for private and home-school students ages 13-18 to play for its team. Practices are Monday through Friday, excluding Wednesday, from 6 to 8 p.m. Cost is $250 per player for pads and equipment. For more information, call (706) 739-0113 or (803) 275-0643.
l The 1963 Tubman Junior High Football Team will have a 45-year reunion of players, managers and coaches on Friday. Anyone who knows an individual who was associated with that team, please have them contact Charlie Beale at (706) 863-9818 or Pat Ford at (706) 650-0405.
- The Augusta Bulldog Club will hold the 15th Annual Border Bash Golf Tournament, Sept. 12 at the River Golf Club. The tournament will feature four-man teams in a Lauderdale/Captain's Choice format. There will be a 12:15 p.m. shotgun start. The cost is $380 per team. For more information, contact Mark Hite at (706) 722-3704 or email@example.com.
- The USC Aiken women's basketball team will hold at "Fun-Raising" Golf Tournament on Sept. 15 at Woodside Plantation. The tournament will have three formats: The "Three Pointer Flight," for men's, women's or mixed teams. It will be lauderdale with 80 percent handicap. Cost is $75 per player, $300 per team; The "Free Throw Flight," for men's, women's and mixed teams. It will be Captain's Choice/Scramble. Cost is $75 per player, $300 per team; The "Lay-up Flight," for women's teams only. It will be a nine-hole Captain's Choice/Scramble. Cost is $45, $180 per team. Proceeds go to fund the team's participation in the Disney Division II Tip-Off East Coast Classic. For more information, contact Mike Brandt at (803) 641-3491 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Cindy Hilbrich at (803) 641-3638 or email@example.com.
- The Masters City Golf Association will hold its 25th Annual Golf Classic Tournament from Sept. 19-20 at Forest Hills Golf Club. Entry fee is $135. Format will be individual 36-hole stroke play. Proceeds benefit junior golf and scholarship programs. For more information, call Phil Robinson at (706) 796-0081.
- The 17th annual Young Life Golf Marathon will be held at Goshen Plantation on Sept. 22. The 54-hole marathon and 18-hole Lauderdale format event will benefit the Young Life Augusta high school ministry. For more information, contact the Young Life office at (706) 733-2507.
- The Palmetto Kiwanis Club of Aiken will sponsor the "Go Fore the Green" charity golf tournament on Sept. 26 at Midland Valley Country Club. Format is four-person Captain's Choice. Check-in is from 8 to 8:30 a.m., with a 9 a.m. shotgun start. Entry fee is $50 per person to benefit Kiwanis-sponsored youth programs. For more information, contact John Boyette at (803) 645-0362 or visit www.aikenpalmettokiwanis.org.
- Wackenhut is holding its 21st annual United Way Golf Tournament on Oct. 20 at Woodside Plantation Country Club in Aiken. Registration will begin at 8:30 a.m., with a putting contest to be held from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Lunch will be served from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., and there will be a shotgun start at noon. The cost is $440 per foursome, with the entry fee donated to United Way. The tournament will be Captain's Choice format, with a gross and net handicap division. There will be a Putting Contest and Par 3 Contest before the tournament starts, with oncourse refreshments. Lunch and dinner will be provided. For additional information or to obtain a registration form, contact Chuck Selman at (803) 952-7789 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Rob Davis at (803) 952-7582 or email@example.com.
- A lacrosse league is forming for interested players ages 18 and up. No experience is necessary. The league will be run by current high school coaches. Practice and games are on Sundays at noon at the Kroger field in Evans. For more information, call (706) 854-1908.
- The Augusta Rugby Football Club invites all people interested in rugby to practices each Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Julian Smith Casino ballpark. New players are welcome. For information, contact Erika Pracht at (803) 634-3186 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Web site is www.augustarugby.org.
- The Bird Dog Breakaway 5K run/walk will be held on Sept. 27 at 8 a.m., beginning at the Waynesboro City Park on Liberty Street, Hwy. 25, in Waynesboro, Ga. Registration is at www.nbeginnings.org or on race day, beginning at 7 a.m. All of the proceeds will benefit "The Center for New Beginnings", a ministry to special needs children.
- SRP Federal Credit Union will play host to the Broad Street Ramble on Sept. 13 , beginning at Curtis Baptist Church. There will be a 10K running race, 2-mile run/walk, half-mile kids run and a tot trot. For more information, visit www.augustastriders.com or call (706) 737-9114 (evenings only).
- The Cumbee Center Whiskey Road Race will be held on Oct. 4 . The race will start and end at the Odell Weeks Recreation Center in Aiken. There will be a 2-mile race, beginning at 7:30 a.m.; a 10K at 8 a.m.; a 1-mile for ages 16-under at 9:15 a.m.; a half-mile for ages 8-under at 9:30 a.m.; and a Tot Trot for ages 5-under at 9:40 a.m. The pre-registration fee for the 10K and 2-mile race is $15; the 1-mile race is $10; and the half-mile race and Tot Trot are $5. A late fee of $5 will apply to the 10K and 2-mile race after Oct. 1. Registration on the day of the race will be available starting at 6:45 a.m. All proceeds benefit the Cumbee Center to Assist Abused Persons. Applications are available at Odell Weeks Center, 1700 Wiskey Road, or the Cumbee Center, 135 Lancaster St. You can also e-mail email@example.com, call Jason Ritch at (803) 649-0480, or visit www.strictlyrunning.com.
- The Greater Augusta Sports Council will play host to the inaugural Augusta Half Marathon on Oct. 26 . The race weekend, Oct. 25-26 , will include a Health and Fitness Expo, the Trick or Trot 5K race, and a Halloween Festival at the Augusta Common. For more information, visit www.augustahalf.org or call (706) 722-8326.
- Registration is now open for the 18th annual Georgia Games. To sign up for one of 50 sporting events, visit www.georgiagames.org or call (770) 528-3580.
- The third annual December Dash 10K will be held at Phinizy Swamp Nature Park on Dec. 6 at 9 a.m. Proceeds benefit Southeastern Natural Sciences Academy's environment research, education, and outreach programs. For more information or to register, go to www.active.com.
- The Augusta Ski and Outing Club is looking for skiers who would like to participate in the 2008-2009 race season. Slalom and Giant Slalom events are featured in six race weekends beginning in December and ending in early March. More information will be available at the club's meeting, which will be held Sept. 9 at 7 p.m. at Red Lobster, 2847 Washington Road. For more information or to register, call (803) 279-6186 or visit www.asoc.ws.
- The Augusta Recreation and Parks Department's fall registration for adult softball runs through today . To register, call Lida Gregg at (706) 842-2682.
l The Georgia Rockers will hold tryouts for their 12-under and 14-under fast-pitch travel team at 2 p.m. on Sept. 28 at Patriots Park. For more information, visit www.eteamz.com/georgiarockers or call Ike Branch at (706) 860-3886 or (706) 373-9581 or Chuck Faulkner at (706) 364-1840.
- Master Instructor Michael L. Weintraub will hold "No Taekwondo, No Discipline: Know Taekwondo, Know Discipline" classes at "HanaNim's House" at Harrisburg Family Life Center, located at 1901 Fenwick Street, beginning on Tuesday . For more information or to reserve your place in the program, call (706) 736-1600.
- Registration for Ironman 70.3 Augusta is now open. The event will be held on Sept. 27, 2009 . The event is limited to 2,000 competitors. For more information, visit www.ironmanaugusta.com.
- The Augusta Recreation and Parks Department's fall registration for adult volleyball runs through today . To register, call Lida Gregg at (706) 842-2682.