Note: Announcements for participatory events must be written, delivered, mailed or faxed to The Augusta Chronicle, P.O. Box 1928, Augusta, Ga. 30903-1928, with a return address and phone number. No phone calls are accepted. Fax number: (706) 823-3408. The announcements will be published weekly.
- Prospect Watch will hold a tryout camp at noon on Saturday, Jan. 26 , at W.L. Bill Evans Field in College Park, Ga. The tryout camp is open to players who played college baseball, independent leagues or affiliated baseball in 2007 for placement in the independent and international baseball leagues in 2008. For more information, go to www.eteamz.com/tryoutcamp or call (404) 869-7966.
- The South Carolina Baseball Coaches Association will have its annual winter baseball clinic at the Marriot in Columbia on Friday, Jan. 18 and Saturday, Jan. 19 . Speakers include Kip Boutknight and Matthew LeCroy (MLB), Matt Fincher and Russell Triplet, from USC Upstate, Mike Darnell of Cardinal Newman High, and Jamie Corr. The cost for the clinic is $45 for adult coaches before Jan. 1 , and $55 after that date. Students and players may come Saturday only for $10. More information and registration forms can be sound at scbca.net.
- The CSRA Baseball Umpires Camp, featuring Major League Baseball umpires Marvin Hudson and Fieldin Culbreth, will be held Jan. 19 at Westside High School from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. The camp is open to any umpire, from beginner to experienced amateur, and includes a Georgia High School Association clinic, Dixie Youth certification and United States Specialty Sports Association (USSSA) certification. Cost of the camp is $60. For more information, contact Ted Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or (706) 564-0051.
- Professional baseball instruction is being offered. For more information, call Stephen Spragg at (706) 799-1271 or (706) 799-4019.
- Chain Baseball is now registering for winter programs, group instruction and private lessons. Call Robbie Wachman at (706) 993-7475 for more information.
- Hitting and defensive lessons in all areas of baseball are being offered by professional instructor Fernando Mickens. For more information, contact him at (706) 495-0395.
- Professional pitching instruction and an off-season conditioning program are being offered by former Cincinnati Reds pitcher Robbie Wachman. All instruction will be in Augusta. Please call (850) 445-9266 for more information.
- The Pete Meadows Baseball Program is providing a series of special training sessions regarding a new Internet-Video Training technology for players ages 8-14. For further details on times and dates, please visit www.skilltrax.com or contact coach Pete Meadows at (706) 863-4979.
- The Harlem Globetrotters are bringing their "Magic As Ever" world tour to Augusta on Friday, March 7 . The event will be held at 7 p.m. at James Brown Arena. Tickets start at $15 and are available at the James Brown Arena box office by phone at (706) 828-7700 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. To purchase group or scout tickets, please visit www.harlemglobetrotters.com.
- The Augusta Boxing Club will present open-to-the-public sparring matches the last Thursday of each month at the Augusta Boxing Club, located at 1929 Walton Way. There is no charge for attendance and the public is welcome. Adult boxers must weigh in the previous Monday, and youth must weigh in on Tuesday to be eligible to spar. For information, call Tom Moraetes at (706) 733-7533.
- The Augusta Rowing Club offers a monthly learn to row program for adults. For information, call David Young at (803) 279-6302 or visit www.augustarowingclub.org.
- The Augusta Rugby Football Club practices Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at May Park. New players are welcome. For information, call Tony Martin at (803) 292-6278, or e-mail email@example.com.
- The Georgia Rockers 18-under "A" travel team is looking for dedicated girls interested in playing a competitive schedule, including ASA qualifiers and three to four college exposure tournaments. If you are serious about softball and endeavor to play at the collegiate level, contact Ike Branch at (706) 373-9581 or (706) 860-3886.
- The CSRA Junior Tennis League will have open registration for the spring 2008 team tennis season through Jan. 15 . Kids ages 5-18 who are interested in fun and competitive match play are welcome. To obtain instructions for registraiton, go to www.csratennis.com. You will need a current USTA membership valid through April 15 to register. To obtain a membership, go to www.usta.com or call (800) 990-8782. League play startsa Jan. 27 and ends April 30 , and matches are typically played Sundays at 2 p.m. The regular league costs $20 plus a $3 TennisLink fee. The new 8-under beginner league, played on 36-foot courts, and the 10-under beginner league, played on 60-foot courts, are $10 plus a $3 fee. For more information, contact Michele Scott, Junior Tennis League coordinator, at (706) 855-7662 or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The CSRA Heat Volleyball Club will hold developmental clinics for girls in grades 5-11 on Sundays from 5-7 p.m., from Jan. 6-March 30 . The clinics will be held in the Boardman Gymnasium at Augusta Prep, located at 285 Flowing Wells Road in Martinez. The cost is $160. The purpose of the clinics is to teach the basics of volleyball, namely serving, passing, hitting and setting.The girls participating will be separated into appropriate skill levels. For more information, go to www.eteamz.active.com/csraheat. To confirm your attendance, contact Lance Abbott at email@example.com or at (706) 860-8539.
- Georgia Carolina Wrestling will be presenting its first live wrestling event titled, "Downtown Throwdown," on Jan. 19 at 7 p.m. at Sector 7G. Wrestlers from the past and present will be in attendance. Admission is $3.