Evans golfer in first at event for juniors
In Pooler, Ga., Kristopher Douglass of Evans shot 36 at the GSGA Junior Sectional Challenge Match and leads the boys 11 and under class by a stroke entering the final round at Savannah Quarters Country Club.
Russell Sabol of Martinez is three strokes back, and Evans' Carter Mobley is six back.
Others in contention include Taylor Grove of Evans, who shot 73 and is three strokes off the lead in the boys 12-13 division
- In Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., Ashlan Ramsey of Augusta shot a final-round 73 Monday and finished second in the girls 10-11 age group of the Optimist Invitational Junior Golf Championships.
Ashlan's sister, Taylor, shot a final-round 73 to finish seventh in the girls 12-13 age group.
- In Fort Gordon, Ga., Mike Harrison birdied two of the final four holes to win the Augusta Amateur Tour event at Gordon Lake Golf Course by six strokes last weekend.
- Applications to play in the 40th Annual Mickie Gallagher Junior Tournament, at Forest Hills Golf Club on Thursday, are still being accepted.
The event is open to boys and girls 17 and under. Players may sign up at the golf club or call (706) 738-4367 for more information.
Gamecocks to fete 100th year of hoops
Two of South Carolina's top three all-time scorers are expected to be on hand today to begin a season-long remembrance of the Gamecocks' 100th year of basketball.
Scoring leader BJ McKie and No. 3 on the list John Roche are scheduled to appear at the Colonial Center for the kickoff ceremonies this morning at 8.
- The USC Aiken women's cross country team will open its season Aug. 31 at the USC Gamecock Invitational for the second consecutive year.
- Three USC Aiken student-athletes - softball player Samantha Blair, tennis players Mayra Kaefer and Pierre Negri - have received the NCAA Degree-Completion Scholarship Awards for the 2007-2008 year.
Stern to address scandal today
NBA Commissioner David Stern plans to hold a press conference this morning to address the points shaving scandal involving former referee Tim Donaghy.
The FBI is investigating Donaghy for allegedly betting on games he officiated during the past two seasons. He is expected to turn himself in later this week or early next week.
Over the weekend, police staked out Donaghy's home in Bradenton, Fla., after he received two telephone threats.
.l Lawrence Frank signed a multiyear extension with the New Jersey Nets, who have made the playoffs each of the four seasons he has coached the team.
Ankle injury leaves Beckham doubtful
In Los Angeles, David Beckham missed another training session with the Los Angeles Galaxy because of a nagging left ankle injury that left him doubtful for the team's opening game in the SuperLiga tournament.
Hurt Edwards out of hospital after crash
In Omaha, Neb., NASCAR driver Carl Edwards was released from a hospital after being injured Sunday night in a dirt track race in nearby Greenwood, a hospital spokeswoman said.
Steelers' Polamalu cashes in with deal
Pittsburgh Steelers star safety Troy Polamalu signed a four-year contract extension worth $30.19 million that makes him the highest-paid player in team history and one of the NFL's top-paid defensive backs.
l Laila Ali, the daughter of boxing great Muhammad Ali, and retired NFL star Curtis Conway were married this weekend, her manager, Eric Kaufman, said.