Blocker-Adams' campaign downfall touches on fears all of us share

I, like most of you, am saddened by the revelations that came out concerning mayoral candidate Helen Blocker-Adams’ financial problems just days before Election Day, May 20. But I look at it as a win-win situation for both Helen and the city of Augusta.

I think it is a win-win for Helen in at least two ways:

First, she no longer has to face the fear of, “What if in the middle of my campaign my financial problems begin to unravel?” Or, “What if they find out other things that I know, if known, would be embarrassing?” Or, “What if I should win and these things come out then?”

SECOND, SHE NOW can move into another phase in which her success will not depend on trying to be everything to everybody, which was impossible in the first place. I encourage her to drop her bucket where she is. I imagine she now is freer than she has been in a long time.

It is a win-win for Augusta because this information about Helen’s problems is better known now than later.

One of the great politicians of the past century, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, said during one of the dark periods of America’s wartime history that the only thing we had to fear was fear itself – the fear that people might really get to know the other side of us, the side that we have been hiding for years; the fear of being caught in our secret acts, slipping and sliding, creeping and hiding; the fear of the loud knock on the door, thinking it must be the police; the fear of our neighbors who don’t look like us, or don’t belong to the same religious group; the fear of people who belong to another political party; the fear of white people; the fear of black people; the fear of capitalism; the fear of socialism; the fear of liberalism; the fear of conservatism.

Fear is killing us – literally.

We all live under some kind of fear, and not all fear is unhealthy. Certain things we need to be fearful of. The kind of fear I am talking about is the kind that keeps us from being real. I’m not encouraging anyone to go around announcing their fears in a public way, but I am encouraging all of us to do everything we can to free ourselves from that kind of bondage.

There is a Helen in all of us. Someplace in all our lives we are hoping what we fear most can stay covered up – that secret relationship that has been going on for years and don’t know how to break it off; cheating on our income tax returns, and every time a letter comes from IRS we are hoping it’s not asking for an audit; or knowing that our whole careers rest upon somebody in our lives not coming forward and revealing information that could end our careers or lives as we now know them.

THE THING THAT keeps us imprisoned most, I think, is trying to live up to an image that is expected of us, not the one that is us. If you are like me, you don’t know who anyone is anymore. We change with the weather, because we are trying not to be who we really are. Yes, we are willing most of the time to show our good side, so much so until when the other side is revealed people confusingly say:
We didn’t know that was in her.

This community, especially those of us who have known Helen for some time, can take part of the blame for her situation. How? Simply this: We never conveyed to her that she could really be Helen – the Helen who is no different than the rest of us. She became a victim of our demand that she be a superwoman. Think of the extent to which she accommodated everybody and everything in this community. Whatever and wherever it was, Helen was there.

NONE OF US TOLD her to slow down. Even when problems began to unravel, we still wanted her to continue. We knew how tenacious she was. The day before she suspended her campaign she was not ready to quit. At this point it became apparent that it became more about us than her. We had our own reputations to protect and defend. We had invested so much in Helen’s success, and that success would have translated in ours. We had counted on Helen to continue her campaign to save face. In the end, however, she had no other viable choice than the one she made.

If we learn nothing else from this episode, learn this: Don’t ignore certain people – not the ones who are cheering you on, but rather the ones challenging you to stay humble, even though at times their words can be very painful to swallow.

These may turn out, in the long run, to be your true friends indeed.

(The writer is a former Augusta City Council member and a retired labor relations manager from Bechtel Savannah River Inc.)

corgimom
corgimom 05/25/14 - 12:30 am
Mr. Abrams, I have long

Mr. Abrams, I have long supported you. But your statement that all of us have a Helen inside of us is just plain wrong.

Many of us, myself included, live their lives openly and without shame. It's not hard to do. We don't have "secrets" that we are afraid other people might discover, we are decent people that lead decent lives and don't do wrong things. It's called integrity and character, and many people possess those qualities.

And your idea that the community expected Helen to be a superwoman is just plain absurd. She has chosen this path in life, and I suspect that part of her motivation was to have people think well of her, while concealing her true self.

I have had the misfortune of knowing somebody like that. It is called narcissistic and sociopathic behavior, that they will lie to anybody, anytime, anywhere, and they believe that nobody knows about their true self. And, of course, their deeds always get found out- then they are "sorry", when they are really just sorry they got caught.

I don't know of anybody that feels guilty about what happened to her, because all of it WAS HER FAULT. It isn't anybody else's fault BUT HERS.

You go right on trying to blame other people for her problems, Mr. Abrams, but in doing so, you will not help your friend. She is an adult, she is responsible for her behavior, she is responsible for her finances, and SHE is the only one to blame.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/25/14 - 05:00 am
The Entrepreneur

Mr. Abrams said, "But looking back, I hope all of us feel at least partially guilty – allowing ourselves to cover our eyes to the problems we knew were there, but afraid to make public lest we wound the spirit of Helen, her energy and the sense of community she exudes. We let her down miserably."

Not me. I was asking questions about her identity as an "entrepreneur" a long time ago. Anytime you ask someone what they do and they give you some flowery term, be cautious.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/25/14 - 05:28 am
Future

Now that she knows she will not run for office in the near future, she could lighten her load by declaring bankruptcy. That'll teach her whistle-blowing creditor.

Now that reporters have learned how to search for court judgements and eviction notices, future elections could become more interesting than past ones. Will the reporters and editors dare publish what they find on all candidates equally?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/25/14 - 05:29 am
Flowery Term

Correct, RM. By the way, does anybody know what Corey Johnson does for a living? You won't find it in the pages of the Chronicle.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/25/14 - 06:00 am
What THEY Do

Yep, LL, you get the credit for asking that about Corey Johnson for a good while. Remember when he took his new wife on the honeymoon, it was to Arizona where he was attending a conference for county officials paid for by Richmond Cty? Heh, heh.

But wondering what they do, what about Deke? Before he was mayor he said he dabbled in this and that, but he mostly stayed at the beach. At least now when people at the beach ask what he DOES. He can say he IS the ex-mayor of Augusta.

agustinian
agustinian 05/25/14 - 06:07 am
You Forgot One Positive

You forgot one positive, maybe now the people whom she owes money to, will get paid.

And no, there is NOT a little bit of Helen in all of us. I actually pay my bills.

gargoyle
19456
gargoyle 05/25/14 - 08:02 am
Many knew about HBA faults

Many knew about HBA faults and a few more dark whispers. How does one get away with lapses in ethics and morals ? Its easy with help from the pillars of the community. If anyone who has first hand knowledge of such follies faces character assassination the skeletons stay hidden deep. Mr. C Johnson is now a contract writer, the question is who for and what contracts does he write.

Butterman
Butterman 05/25/14 - 11:42 am
Riverman is Right

Many of us were asking questions about her "businesses" and what kind of "entrepreneur" she was months and months ago. We never did get any clear answers. I fault the local media for this. It seems to me if a candidate is running on their "business" experience" you might want to do a little investigating of exactly what that "business" is. All we heard about helen from the media was that she was a businesswoman/entrepreneur/motivational speaker. We never got any more details. And it's not like she came from nowhere. She ran for mayor in 2005 and has been in the public eye for years.

mll
mll 05/25/14 - 01:09 pm
The only thing I am deeply ashamed of

is that several months ago I wrote a favorable comment on one of the articles about HBA. I was still giving her the benefit of doubt about her character at that point & I realized that she might be the best out of the lousy field we had to pick from. I very much regret those words. I don't believe that HBA fully admits responsibility for her actions, she's still offering excuses & her enablers are continuing the smoke & mirrors.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/25/14 - 02:28 pm
Johnson

Butterman posted:

Well, Corey Johnson is in a run-off election for state senator. Shouldn't the Chronicle do an investigation and give us the details on Johnson's finances and what he does to earn a living? Who are his clients? Who pays his bills? Who has contributed to his campaign?

SGT49
SGT49 05/25/14 - 03:29 pm
My question is how did Herman

My question is how did Herman Cain get tangled up in her mess?

mll
mll 05/25/14 - 07:13 pm
My understanding is that Herman Cain

is a distant cousin to HBA & of course he was asked to appear for her. My guess is that he felt somewhat obligated due to being family. From the information that I know he was unaware of any of her problems & again due to family connections most likely did not vet her prior to appearing. I would think he's very embarrassed at this point.

mll
mll 05/25/14 - 07:30 pm
Speaking of Herman Cain.........

that proves the lengths that HBA will go to promote herself. To employ a family connection to use a man of such distinction & great character like Herman Cain in order to further her career while hiding tremendous faults even to him demonstrates her selfish ego. I wonder if she called him to apologize for her conduct & for using him to further herself? I would imagine that she has also used several prominent Augusta individuals in much the same way. It's very telling.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/25/14 - 11:20 pm
As I read all of the

As I read all of the comments, I decided to remain silent up until the point of reading the one comparing Helen's financial mistakes to the "good character" of Herman Cain. And to that I ask; do you consider it more honorable or acceptable to be a lying adulterer?

Did Helen make some wrong choices? I think we all know she has.
Does anyone really know the motivations behind her choices?
No, we absolutely do not. We can make judgements about behavior, but only God can judge a heart (motivation).
What we say about others, speaks volumes more about ourselves.

Lakeside95 05/26/14 - 01:34 pm
Willow Bailey must be a 1st Wife

Willow Bailey, you asked if being a 'lying adulterer' was more honorable or more acceptable than financial mistakes. These are not comparable situations. By stating that HBA's debts were 'choices' and that we cannot understand her 'motivations' for these choices you are excusing this behavior. The only 'choices' made were to ignore and hide these debts.

Herman Cain was attacked by accusations of infidelity and sexual harassment during his Presidential campaign. While these women did have access to HC during the time that the alleged incidents occurred; there was never one piece of physical evidence nor was there any third party confirmation. A press conference with a tearful woman who's strings were controlled by Gloria Allred is a attack not a confession. Also- if any of these allegations were true, HC could have been sued for damages - Gloria Allred was involved - so a lawsuit was inferred. Yet the moment HC withdrew from his race these women vanished. Even the woman who hired Allred quickly faded from the public eye, never to be heard from again.

HBA is completely different. The only similarity was that they both left their respective campaigns prior to the election.

The first 'attack' on HBA was the release of court documents showing irrefutable proof of a foreclosure, a defaulted bank loan and a repossessed vehicle. These were not allegations, HBA admitted in court that she alone was responsible for these debts.

*If needed I have the legal documents I can send you or the Chronicle has these court filings.*

Another 'attack' was the release of numerous dispossery & eviction actions by the Marshall's Department of Richmond County. These were not allegations, these actions were initiated by the court.

There is a court order for an attempt to garnish wages or assets in order to satisfy debts. No assets or income was found - therefore no garnishment could be attached.

As the week progressed many questions were brought up regarding HBA's companies, business and income. The nonprofit status of one of her companies was questioned. The status was revoked by the IRS, proven by official tax records.

More instances of loans left unpaid at local banks and other financial issues were shared publicly. At no time did HBA dispute any of the debts.

Therefore your thought process that unproven accusations against HC are equal to or worse than proven debts owed by HBA are completely ludicrous.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/26/14 - 03:12 pm
If you think Cain dropped out

If you think Cain dropped out of the presidential race because he was falsely accused of his dalliances, you are quite mistaken.

As to Helen, I believe she is far more honorable for having publicly owned her mistakes than anyone who continues to publicly flog her.

God's Word states we have no business judging the heart. That is His job.
I see you are quick to judge me... A person you have never met.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/27/14 - 08:09 am
Out of respect to our host.

Out of respect to our host, I'll refrain from further exchange with you since you are unable to practice any self control.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/27/14 - 07:33 am
I believe anyone with a

I believe anyone with a modicum of sense understands that what Helen did was not right and it was not wise. My point in responding to the comments holding Cain up as somehow being terribly wronged by her is simply this...why compare her or hold her up to the standards of any human when we have all been found woefully short of the ideal?

I concede that she put herself in a position of public opinion when she chose to run for political office and like many of you, I have made a number of comments regarding the fact that she currently lacked the discipline and skills to hold a position of public "tax dollar" trust. Helen Blocker Adams made a number of mistakes of which she acquiesced and removed herself from the race.

It is an undisputable fact that she did not pay some of her bills and others she did not pay timely; however, assuming that she has some evil motivation in not doing so is a judgement that none of us are fit to make. Period.

Why is it necessary to continue to beat her up about it? Does it help us to feel better about ourselves to do so? As the Apostle Paul so wisely taught, if we are to compare ourselves to another; let it be to Christ; He is the standard bearer, not another sinful human. Here is the benefit for us in heeding Paul's advice...it forces us to seek what is true and worthy and gives us humility, grace and hope. The other leaves us either physically and emotionally defeated or dangerously and ignorantly arrogant.

mll
mll 05/27/14 - 09:51 am
Undoubtedly Sean has decided that truth in this blog

is not pertinent. Lakeside's second comment which provided facts related to HBA & Herman Cain was removed for some reason. My point was that HBA took advantage of the family ties to Cain to use him in her campaign for her benefit. Like Lakeside's comments said, the attacks on Cain were unproven, the allegations against HBA were documented. If Willow Bailey wants to defend HBA to the world, I don't care. That said, HBA appears to use people like Bailey to continue her charade of professing her victim status. She admits responsibility in her debts yet offers excuses as to why she allowed herself to arrive in that position by alluding to personal crisis that overwhelmed her. Everyone has had times of personal crisis that causes other areas of their lives to suffer. The strength of character in any person is judged by how they handle adversity in troubled times not in good times. In my opinion, HBA has proven the content of her character. When someone decides to run for public office, they put themselves in the position of having their actions judged. That is how it should be in order to protect the public. To criticize the public for judging or discussing the flaws of a candidate who CHOSE to be in that position is pointless & ignorant.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/27/14 - 10:24 am
Try to get this; it isn't that hard.

How in the world do you know that she asked him to help her, mll? Do you talk to Herman Cain? How do you know he didn't offer to help her?

The woman didn't pay her bills. That was wrong. Who's defending it?
For the love of God, it's a simple concept. Saying what she did is "A-OK"...saying WHY she did it is not, because you don't know why. I doubt she even knows why unless she has processed it with the help of God so she could actually get honest with herself. Try to get it.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/27/14 - 10:26 am
And just so you know, Sean

And just so you know, Sean isn't controlling opinions, he's monitoring "manners". We all need it, sometimes.

mll
mll 05/27/14 - 11:45 am
Willow,

I know the person who facilitated the event between Cain & HBA, so yes I know that she & her campaign person asked him, he did not offer.
The woman didn't pay her bills, when asked about it, she made excuses. No one knows why, she appears to not know why, other than she didn't have the money or she was distraught over the events in her life. The constant use of God in the entire debacle is overdone. I doubt that God had much to do with any of it except when it comes to the forgiveness part.
As far as Sean monitoring manners, I think he's a little quick sometimes to jump, there are those that deserve a put down when facts are presented, can easily be documented & they are ignored. But hey, that's just my opinion-take it or leave it.

Lakeside95 05/27/14 - 12:27 pm
How do I know?

Things I know...

I know that until late evening on the 18th of May, HBA was planning on remaining in the race. I know that the explanation of 'I blocked the memory of the repossession/foreclosure/defaulted bank loan was not true. I know the other issues that would have been released had she continued her campaign for Mayor would have been devastating.

I know that HBA requested that Cain headline a fundraiser for HBA. I know the HBA connection to Cain.

I know exactly why Cain withdrew from his campaign for the Presidency. I know that the allegations of sexual harassment and infidelity made against Cain are false.

Willow, you have continually said that no one could know these answers. You are wrong. I do know these answers. I know not because I read an article or overheard a conversation. I know because I was there. I was on the stage as Cain withdrew from the Presidency. I was in the room as Cain explained why he was withdrawing. I wrote the notice of HBAs campaign suspension. I was the person that helped HBA realize that her candidacy was over.

You have stated that no one could know HBAs motivation. The reason/motivation for HBAs debt and why the numerous financial problems were hidden can only be answered by HBA. I do have an educated guess/opinion why HBA has been leading a double life.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/28/14 - 07:12 am
I wish that I could get the

I wish that I could get the two of you to understand this. It's not about Herman Cain, and it 's not about either of you. It's about Helen. She isn't perfect; she's made mistakes and her mistakes were exposed. None of that changes the truth which is that she, just like you, is a person of value and deserves to be treated with some dignity and respect. What Helen practiced financially was wrong and it has returned as a "difficult blessing" for her. I hope she can learn from it. I hope that we can too.

mll
mll 05/28/14 - 08:31 am
& I wish you would understand my point as well.

I agree, it's not about Cain nor I, nor Lakeside nor anyone else. It is & was all about HBA. Yes, HBA is no less a person of value than anyone else but respect? Not necessarily. Whether or not she deserves to be treated with respect is questionable. In my opinion she has not shown respect to the city of Augusta & it's voters by deceiving them. She did not show respect to her campaign staff & volunteers because she chose to deceive them. She did not show respect to Herman Cain because she chose to deceive him. After learning of her lack of respect to all listed above, you would expect or demand that she be treated with respect by the aforementioned? It usually does not happen. I doubt anyone is going to go out of their way to treat her rudely nor would I but I would hesitate to say that she "deserves to be treated with some dignity and respect". My point has been that I don't feel, in my opinion, that she has fully owned up to the extent of her wrongdoing considering she has & many others have just offered excuses for her actions. In my way of thinking when you have made a mistake you own up to it across the board, no excuses. Then you quickly start making efforts to repair that mistake. Then all you can do at that point is hope that people acknowledge that you have fixed the error & that's when the respect usually follows. Until then are we supposed to automatically respect her because she got caught? In my opinion, she would not have admitted anything unless all of her financial errors were uncovered.
She will gain back my respect when she has cleaned up her past debts & quit making excuses for deceiving the public. As far as the "difficult blessing" goes, that's another way of saying the devil made me do it, but I have now found God & I am healed so all is well.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/28/14 - 05:46 pm
Lakeside 95: I fear that I am

Lakeside 95: I fear that I am beating a small horse with very large ears, however, your continuous personal attack on me begs this response. I'm not the one who brought up Herman Cain, however, I did use him only as example because he was being held up as being superior to Helen B. Adams and I quoted what the Apostle Paul's teachings were on this. This should not be unfamiliar to you as I've read that you claim to be a good practicing Catholic. Back to the point, Cain is not above Helen, nor are you. You have just as many or more hidden defects as Helen, perhaps not the same ones, but you certainly have plenty, as do we all. Shall we place you under the microscope of human judgment?

It is very distressing to read that you are a "Political Consultant" and you actively worked for Ms. Adam's campaign. Do you suppose that she likely had the expectation of loyalty and confidentiality from your services? I know, I would have. This should make future candidates think twice about who they allow in their business.

And then speaking of double standards, finally, we all know, that the "double" is in full swing with HBA as there likely isn't a man in this town that would have caved into this. Now, there's lot's more that I could say referring to the subject of double standards that would likely start a firestorm with you, but I shall practice my self control and refrain, if possible. I bring this up to remind you... that you need to carefully consider the rocks you throw.

Finally, for me it's never a "one size fits all" concept. I like to look at each situation and give the benefit of the doubt whenever I see the possibility for it. My goal is to practice Corinthians 13 as much as I am able to, but I never have a problem setting a boundary with a disrespectful person.

Life is a journey. People need the freedom, the grace and support to correct their paths. Don't fret, though, life will teach you this many times over, until you learn it.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/28/14 - 07:39 pm
mll, I do understand how you

mll, I do understand how you feel... in that according to your values, which are admirable, HBA'S actions/choices leave lots to be desired and if you were counting on her, you would feel betrayed. I agree with you.

Why do I say she gets respect? Because every single one of us are created in the image of God....that alone means you are to be treated with manners as much as possible. Respect does not mean that we "admire" someone or that we approve of their choices. It simply means we are not rude to them or discourage them so that they become hopeless and have no encouragement or incentive to change. Respecting someone does not mean that we excuse them or enable them; it means we treat them kindly and set some appropriate boundaries with them if they are causing harm to us. I think the voters did that with Helen and that is enough to teach her some very valuable lessons.

I agree with you again, when you say that restitution is a vital part of excepting complete responsibility for our mistakes. Yes, BA, would benefit greatly from financial counseling and a payback plan. Had she filed bankruptcy which has become acceptable and not had the embarrassing eviction threats, it likely would not have become an issue or at least not as great of one.

You also said, "she admitted because she was caught". No doubt. I've found that to be true with almost everyone. Very rarely, do people offer "it" up until they come to the end of what has been working for them.

"Difficult blessings"... I have learned that everything that happens in my life has a purpose. The good the bad, the ugly. When we believe that God is only in the good stuff, we miss out on much of what He has to teach us. It is adversity that teaches us best. That's why I call them difficult blessings, because they are hard but good for us. The have the power, if faced, to be overcome and then we have the opportunity to help someone else who is struggling with the same issues. We all struggle; just not with the same stuff! Very easy for me to put someone down, if it is not my struggle, because I am not tempted with it.

It is also true that we can find God and obtain salvation, but still live a defeated, dysfunctional lifestyle. God doesn't expect us to be much when we come to Him, but He's never satisfied to leave us where we are. Just ask Moses and those Israelites.

mll
mll 05/28/14 - 07:36 pm
Willow, if beating a dead horse will clarify my position

I am ready to do it. I'm sure that Lakeside will as well but I have to add that I share of lot of her opinions so perhaps you can lump us together to criticize. When you say Cain is not above HBA or I or anyone I imagine that you're referring to God's point of view. If it is I agree. But on a more practical approach I don't agree. I believe that there are definitely people that are superior to others as well as some that are definitely below the grade. Would you compare a serial murderer to Cain & say that they are equal? Would you compare HBA to Mother Theresa & say they were equal? Would you compare Winston Churchill to the bum on the corner asking for handouts? Or the local drug dealer to yourself? I doubt that. In the real world there is evil & there is good with a lot of levels in between. There are some people that hold high standards for themselves & some that do not. There are those that are held in high regard by others & some that are not. To lump them all together & say they are all equal is naive. There are people that make this world a better place on a daily basis, some that don't contribute much & some that contribute nothing but hate & serve to damage or end the lives of others. I would hate to think you would place someone like Hitler on the same level as Billy Graham.
You referred to Lakeside as having no loyalty if she worked for HBA. My guess is loyalty can only be expected if the truth is shared between two people. If someone lies to you do you still owe them loyalty? My guess Bill Clinton had some employees that were loyal to him until he started sexual liaisons with his intern. At what point does your loyalty falter if a law or a matter of ethics come up? Does your oath of confidentiality in a work environment still hold if you doubt the word of your superior & believe that laws may have been broken or ethics? How much would your word be trusted if you knew your superior at the company you worked was stealing from the company & you chose to ignore it. Do you really think you'd get a buy from company on that? If you knew your husband had murdered your neighbor, would your loyalty to your husband trump that?
Citing bible verses & quoting scripture as a deflection to win a debate or convince others of your sincerity or compassion doesn't impress me at all. In fact, in my opinion religion is to be lived as an example without harping to others that you are following God's teachings with constant reminders. Those that follow God's word seldom have to remind others that they do, it's usually obvious. I do not appreciate others preaching to me what they have likely forgotten to hold close on a daily basis. Those that I admire are those that set high standards for themselves & it's obvious by the lives they live.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/28/14 - 08:02 pm
mll, we could debate

mll, we could debate endlessly, but it serves no benefit. When one is in a position of counseling/consulting, yes, confidentiality is expected unless there are extreme, usually unlawful circumstances.

Everyone has a foundation/plumb line. Mine makes allowances for mistakes and redemption. I'll leave it to you to decide yours.

It is absurd to assume that I cannot see the differences of gifts, contributions, strengths and weaknesses between people. The remarks about my faith neither surprise nor phase me.

I think we are all way over due for moving on.

Lakeside95 05/28/14 - 10:03 pm
Willow, There is no point in

Willow,
There is no point in continuing this discussion. You are ready to believe that everyone is inherently good and I know that most people are good or bad - it depends on which role is the easiest and has the most personal gain.