Over several generations, our America has lost its direction

My first visit to the United States was in 1943. My father decided to send me to Natchez, Miss., to complete my high-school education, spending two years. It took an additional half-year to get my diploma.

I felt very aberrant in this new environment in spite of an extremely nice welcome. The first thing I learned was that the South had a different president – Jefferson Davis – than the one in Washington, D.C. Abraham Lincoln, whom I had learned was a giant, was the most hated man in the South, and John Wilkes Booth, who shot President Lincoln, had become a Southern hero.

I went back to Cuba in 1946 and got a job in my family’s business. I never attended college and conveniently blamed it on intermittent student strikes at the University of Havana.

IN THE EARLY 1950s Cuba was plagued with serious political turmoil. A former president, Gen. Fulgencio Batista, produced a coup in 1952. The Cuban Rebellion followed in 1959, and a counter-revolution in 1961 took place. An American invasion using Cuban exiles landed on the island. They were defeated by Fidel Castro, and he ruled Cuba until finally stepping down in 2011. In August 1961 my family and I went into exile in the United States, and began a new life.

Just two years after my arrival, President Kennedy was assassinated – by the CIA, I believe. I just could not believe it, and kept on asking myself: Why? And the CIA? We did not have to wait long to find out the “why.” Actually Kennedy and Castro were engaged in the possibility of a permanent relationship between America and Cuba. This, together with the buzz that Kennedy would pull U.S. troops out of Vietnam in his second term, brought, I believe, two big “nos” from the CIA.

Before my arrival in the United States, I was fairly informed about the Rev. Martin Luther King and the American civil rights movement. But it is one thing to know about it and another one to face the barbarism. I found my new country in intense contradiction.

PRESIDENT KENNEDY’S death brought President Lyndon Johnson, who was able to revise Kennedy’s social programs, such as Medicare. LBJ became very close to MLK and assisted him in every aspect – something that Kennedy was not too keen on for political reasons. The head of the FBI, J. Edgar Hoover, became MLK’s bitter enemy, and MLK was taped constantly by the FBI (with the acknowledgement of Attorney General Robert Kennedy) to discover any communistic traces.

MLK was shot in 1968. There is no proof that Hoover’s hate prompted him to eliminate the black leader. Hoover became one of the most despised officials in our history but he was unremovable – he had dirty laundry on everyone he targeted, especially on every U.S. president during his tenure at the FBI.

LBJ inherited the Vietnam War. There was no hope at all that he would pull out, as he might have desired. There was Robert McNamara – among The Best and the Brightest, as journalist David Halberstam said – who previously pushed JFK to escalate the war, and Gen. William Westmoreland and the rest of those generals having a feast. Meanwhile, LBJ had congressional approval to send 400,000 troops. Then came President Nixon, who followed up by bombing Cambodia back to the Stone Age. Vietnam became our longest war, ending in 1975 with more than 58,000 dead Americans.

I always have admired LBJ. He was a very compassionate man, mostly for the blacks and the poor. He could have been one of our greatest presidents if his legacy would not have been tainted by the Vietnam War – the most horrendous, evil and stupid war – that made our country, I believe, the most hated nation in the world.

IN 1980 WE elected President Reagan, our Great Communicator. Reagan was responsible for the killing of peasants, women and children, in his war against the “Contras” who were fighting dictatorships in El Salvador and Guatemala. Reagan still is one of the most popular of all of our presidents.

How could we forget our very bright President Clinton, doing his best after he left office to demolish candidate Barack Obama, already on his way to the inevitable nomination, still pushing for his wife in North Carolina, creating a feud that still persists with U.S. Rep. James Clyburn? Clinton’s vulgarities on his sexual adventures made news around the world.

For eight years we had to endure President George W. Bush, who took our country to invade Iraq based on faulty intelligence information, and hundreds of thousands lost their lives. How could we ever forget his “Mission Accomplished” speech aboard an aircraft carrier, dressed in a flight suit – and, even worse, British Prime Minister Tony Blair validating this clown?

Not many Americans are aware that our nation has an incarceration rate higher than any country in the world, or that we are a very violent nation with more crimes committed than in the whole of Europe.

BUT WE ARE quite conscious that our mercenary makers, Republicans and Democrats alike, are getting paid for backing the National Rifle Association, which represents their constituents who vote for our constantly proliferating gun culture.

I understand why many friends have left their homelands for good. One of our biggest problems is that we really believe America is unique and the best nation in the world. “My country, right or wrong.” “Europe is a socialist continent.”

Hope arrived in an unexpected way. In 2008, we elected a black president. I received calls from friends in exile who were very happy indeed. President Obama had quite a bumpy start, which went on and on, before the end of the first year. He was called a sort of a communist, not an American. The bottom line of all this was the surge of our dormant racism.

It was first lady Michelle Obama who, by the midterm election, made her husband a contender. Two years later, the most extraordinary thing happened. With the participation of blacks, the youth, women, Latinos and scholars, he won his second term. This would be the time, I believed, he would lead our country to follow the right path: national health care for all Americans; to close, once and for all, the abyss between the haves and have-nots and make our billionaires and millionaires pay their dues; turn our nation into a true democracy; and make our schools the best in the world – have our pupils better than Korea’s and Japan’s and terminate our rampant illiteracy.

It seems like Obama is running for a third term, looking scared, like some Big Brother is watching. Incredibly, he tried to negotiate with his new Republican friends on Social Security to bring our deficit down.

We have lost our direction. There is no leadership to show us the way. The world has incredible and fantastic methods of communication to get us closer to the rest of the universe. But we are isolated. We don’t read and are becoming more ignorant; we don’t know our basic history.

Is there a solution for the next generation or the one after that? There is hope. Historically, when our country becomes disoriented, a new Roosevelt or Kennedy, or someone from another political party, comes along – not to make us richer, but wiser and compassionate

(The writer is a retired insurance executive who left his native Cuba in 1961. He lives in Aiken, S.C.)

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/30/13 - 01:50 am
Well, this letter proves

I guess we all tend to believe what we want to believe, or what confirms our preconceived notions, or what pop culture leads us to believe, because it's just easier that way.

But it doesn't HAVE to be that way.

You've been engineered! resist...RESIST!

corgimom
corgimom 06/30/13 - 03:45 am
It's too bad that he had to

It's too bad that he had to face the barbarism, he could've stayed in Cuba where life would've been so much better.

America took his family in, gave them asylum, and then he calls one of our Presidents a clown. Really?

He should've stayed in Cuba and written letters to the newspapers calling Cuban leaders clowns. Oh wait, he would've been put in prison for that.

Gratitude is a wonderful thing.

myfather15
myfather15 06/30/13 - 04:01 am
Hhhhmmmm

"I understand why many friends have left their homelands for good."

Why don't you follow their lead, if you understand it so well?

Then Mr. Godoy writes this: "I always have admired LBJ. He was a very compassionate man, mostly for the blacks and the poor."

And this: " We don’t read and are becoming more ignorant; we don’t know our basic history."

Really? Maybe you should brush up on history. LBJ was probably the biggest RACIST we've ever had as President. He was known to commonly us the N-word in the White House.

LBJ did absolutely NOTHING for civil rights, as most people opine. The ONLY thing he did was continue what JFK had already put into motion. He was the Senate majority leader when Eisenhower put forth a Civil rights bill and LBJ helped squash it. Why? Because he didn't want the other side getting anything with substance, done. LBJ even said "If the republicans get a civil rights bill passed, we will lose the black vote, forever." Have you ever heard of the Civil Rights Act of 1957?

LBJ even said while trying to pass the civil rights bill: "I know we will lose the white votes in the south, but we're trading them for the black vote in the whole nation." The ONLY reason this man did anything was for political purpose. Again, he commonly referred to black people working in the White House as the N-word, right to their face.

When LBJ appointed Thurgood Marshall to the Supreme Court, he explain this was about identity politics; telling Robert Dallek "Son, when I appoint a (N-word) to the court, I want everyone to know he's a (N-Word)"

Prior to 1957, LBJ NEVER support a single civil rights bill!! He wouldn't even support anti-lynching bills.

Here is a wonderful quote from this man who cared so much for black and poor people:

""These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference.”

Ooooh, yes sir!! LBJ, CHAMPION of the minorities and poor!! Every time I hear someone say this, it makes me want to puke!!

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/30/13 - 05:04 am
myfather15

I wonder how many will not be able to stomach the accuracy of you post? It is a flat out, jump up, smack down of so much that many on these forums hold dear.

Can they handle it? Will they even consider it? Will they accept this history, or fevorantly search, and look for an alternate version of history that will prop up their views, views they hold so dear and close they can't fathom abandoning?

I noticed you didn't mention all LBJ had to say on the races. Perhaps you're saving? Not that it would matter. Smack someone in the face with facts, and they tend to head-dive into sand.

Ken2010
Ken2010 06/30/13 - 08:05 am
This opinion piece...

This opinion piece was well prepared and contained a good bit of useful facts. Rather than have an intelligent response and discussion by the few who commented, they told him to 'go home', another implied he had been brainwashed without offering any basis for their remarks. A third took issue with LBJ by insinuating he was a racist. He probably was but the person who commented missed the opportunity to add anything meaningful.

I would take a much harder stand on our nation's shortcomings. I would start with $2 trillion spent on two wars that I read in one estimate, when taking into account long-term medical care for our veterans, reequipping our forces with new armament, supplies, uniforms, equipment and infrastructure will wind up costing a total of $7 trillion. We hear the rhetoric of putting on the backs of our grandchildren the burden of paying for different projects but no one mentions the $7 trillion wars and who is paying for them. When was the last victory parade we celebrated a definitive victory over our enemy or recognized a signed a peace treaty? Not in my lifetime.

Other countries, aka emerging nations, over the last 12 years while we've been at war have been working on their country's infrastructure, education, public's well-being and their future economic opportunities and alliances. From what I see they are going it alone without the U.S. involvement just as they let us go it alone when we got into two long, drawn out wars. On the other hand our infrastructure is failing, we have children in our schools who can't read or write and people's well-being is an afterthought.

Last, The American people don't recognize the fact that we lost approximately 40 percent of our net worth, not through any fault of our own, but because of the incompetency and immoral acts of our government leaders and our financial institutions. We played by the rules, they did not. As one of George Bush's final acts before he left office he said, "I've abandoned free-market principles to save the free-market system." While many ignorantly call Obama a socialist, the words of George Bush are the closest I've ever heard in my lifetime of an American president advocating socialism.

ymnbde
ymnbde 06/30/13 - 08:50 am
this column represents the new racists

the policies of the '60s, as this writer worships
have put blacks back into bondage
to the government, which controls their education
and ensures those educated by public schools cannot read well enough to know both sides of any issue
but can read well enough to hate any opinion or person with which their government disagrees
the uneducated are the easiest to control
this writer should look up "pathological altruism"
the harm that liberals have done to blacks was not only reasonably forseeable
it seems to have been planned
why did the man leave Cuba?
didn't Fidel make everyone equal?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/30/13 - 08:54 am
That great liberal LBJ

That great liberal LBJ sent the 82nd Airborne into Detroit to stop the race riots. But I knew the whole letter was beyond hope when I read the South considered John Wilkes Booth a hero and the CIA killed Kennedy. Maybe that extra year the writer had to spend in high school wasn't enough.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/30/13 - 09:19 am
Wonder

"I've abandoned free-market principles to save the free-market system." While many ignorantly call Obama a socialist, the words of George Bush are the closest I've ever heard in my lifetime of an American president advocating socialism. I wonder if Ken doesn't know the context of that statement or hopes others do not.

chascushman
chascushman 06/30/13 - 09:27 am
"Well, this letter proves

"Well, this letter proves beyond a reasonable doubt that natural born citizens have no monopoly on susceptibility."
I have been reading Mr. Godoy's LTE for several years and I am sure he is a big admirer of Castro. Each time I read one of his LTE I am reminded of an old statement, "Ignorance can be cured but stupidity is forever"

avidreader
avidreader 06/30/13 - 09:37 am
Giggle!

Even at my age, I like to giggle occasionally.

deestafford
deestafford 06/30/13 - 09:45 am
The further I read into this letter

the more I began to think, "This is what a person would believe and write if they were locked in a room and provided information about America only by obama, bill ayers, frank martin davis, and obama's mother.

impossible
impossible 06/30/13 - 09:52 am
Spinning like a top

What a dizzying experience it must have been for Godoy writing his column. Doing so much spinning must have kept him twirling like a top. Nothing new there.

Why would such a socialistic Communistic person abandon Cuba which long ago achieved the goal Godoy and his hero Obama have for America - namely the defeat and destruction of a country from within.

He like Obama has mastered political rhetoric which, like humor, requires a bit, no matter how miniscule, of truth to make its point, no matter how dishonest and pointless.

It appears that there might be two separate commentators named "myfather15?" Is that right or is there some other explanation?

Ken2010
Ken2010 06/30/13 - 10:54 am

Thank you for responding, justthefacts. You shouldn't take my word for anything. I quoted it exactly, so it would be easy to find on the Internets using Google, Bing. etc. I would rather people learn for themselves. Never take the word of a complete stranger. As far as context goes, even Bush did a bad job of putting it in context but Bush's words speak for themselves. Short answer in Bush's words, "... to make sure the economy doesn't collapse." He made a bad decision to abandon free-market principles and the economy collapsed. A real conservative would never 'abandon free-market principles'. I don't think Bush was a socialist but what he did is akin to socialism. Capitalism doesn't work without a free market.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/30/13 - 11:10 am
Ken?

"He made a bad decision to abandon free-market principles and the economy collapsed." Really. How so? What would have happened if he didn't pass TARP? Can you say for sure? Obama certainly would have passed it. In fact he went for an additional $350B. I didn't like TARP. But, maybe I was wrong and Bush/Obama were right. We will never really know.

Darby
Darby 06/30/13 - 11:24 am
This alleged "column" is satire, right?

A hastily and poorly assembled hodgepodge of disparate fact and fiction presented as a comedic portrait of America?

There is nothing in the entire column worth reading or commenting on. Thanks for wasting our time.

It's far too late for an April fools joke Chronicle.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/30/13 - 12:23 pm
Isn't it amazing that

Isn't it amazing that Joaquin, whose family fled the Castro revolution and resulting socialist heavy handed government in Cuba, would like to implement here. The same style socialist, heavy handed government to "follow the right path: national health care for all Americans; to close, once and for all, the abyss between the haves and have-nots".

Hate to tell you this Joaquin, but the abyss between the haves and have-nots was created by LBJ, the government, and the Great Welfare Society. And the abyss for healthcare will only be made worse by Obamacare since MOST people's quality of healthcare will go down while the rich, who can pay for the absolute BEST healthcare that 85% of us USED to have, will still get that care because they can afford it. Most of us will be stuck with something that is MUCH LESS than what we USED to have from employer insurance because most employers who have any financial brains will be paying the fine and dumping their employees into some Medicaid like pool.....a pool that most respectable doctors and hospitals probably will not accept.

You socialist, healthcare for everyone, take from the working to support the lazy, are all alike but you can never mention that it hasn't worked out well anywhere it has been tried.....and especially in a country such as ours where there is such a large demographic that is perfectly willing to sit at home and live off of the sweat and hard work of others.

The problems in this country are NOT due to the lack of equality or opportunity. They are due to the fact that members of our Great Welfare Society are living TOO good, have TOO much stuff, are TOO well fed, TOO well housed, get TOO much free healthcare. They have NO motivation to get off of their butts and work or contribute in any way. They are permanent victims of TOO much help....doomed to wallow in self pity the rest of their days and setting their children up to do the same. Being poor today is not like being poor used to be. Today being "poor" is not a condition, it is a government created lifestyle that many make an effort to attain where all the necessities and most of the luxuries are provided free gratis, compliments of the taxPAYERS.....it's a government subsidized lifestyle.....a lifestyle that I no longer feel obligated to support.

No thanks Joaquin....we already have enough people coming to this country who get here and immediately want to start changing it to more resemble the country they just ran away from. There needs to be a revolution here alright, but not the one you are professing.

allhans
allhans 06/30/13 - 12:39 pm
He did say one thing I agree

He did say one thing I agree with: We need leadership -

Ken2010
Ken2010 06/30/13 - 12:56 pm
Justthefacts

I think the proof is in the pudding about the collapse. The economy collapsed. What Bush did only gave license for Obama to do the same. With or without TARP it's hard to imagine the economy collapsing more. Yes, I do believe TARP helped the recovery of the financial and corporate sector. What TARP did not do was help the American people nor was it meant to help us. I'm being redundant but the main point I was trying to make about the American people losing 40 percent of their net worth was that it was not through any fault of our own but because of the incompetency and immoral acts of our government leaders and our financial institutions. We are in the end the ones who bore the brunt of it and the ones who have suffered the most. We played by the rules, they did not.

myfather15
myfather15 06/30/13 - 01:03 pm
Ken2010

While I certainly DO have problems with LBJ; can you not understand my first comment was about the problem I have with Mr. Godoy touting LBJ as caring about blacks and poor? So, in this particular thread; my comment was not against LBJ but to bring to attention Mr. Godoy's lack of knowledge on factual history. It appears Mr. Godoy's only knowledge of history comes from listeniing to liberal talking points, over and over. Liberals ALWAYS love to tout LBJ as a HERO, when in reality; he was FAR from it.

Mr. Godoy actually blasts people for not knowing history, then goes on to PROVE that his knowledge of history is VERY lacking!! THAT was the point of my post, not an issue with LBJ; get it right!

Also, I see you blasting the Country for spending trillions; then you mentioned Bush by name. Care to add Obama's name to that, or is it sinful in the LP world to blaspheme the name of Obama?

mybaskett
mybaskett 06/30/13 - 02:48 pm
Pathological Altruism

ymnbde, I decided to look up "Pathological Altruism." Very interesting. Due to the fact that most colleges and public schools lean towards liberal teaching/opinion, we are going to make this a part of my families summer reading/research. Thanks

myfather15
myfather15 06/30/13 - 04:17 pm
Dichotomy

Yes, I'm also amazed how people will flee their oppresive Countries and come here; then advocate for this Country to go the same direction as the Country they fled. Always spouting about this Country's violent past, like WE are the ONLY Country with past mistakes. Do you think there is a reason for this? Could it be, that there is a master plan involved? To demean America until the point MOST believe it?

Joseph Goebbels "If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes truth."

Liberals refuse to stop their constant bombardment of America and her history. They've used the education system to indoctrinate our youth to believe these lies, because they are the most easily influenced. They MUST accomplish this mission, in order to eventually complete the complete takeover.

America has had violence in her past; that is true. But it's no more than ANY other Country and we've moved past this violence and oppression, better than any Country in the world. Evidence in the FACT that millions of people try to come here EVERY YEAR to find freedom. It's disgusting to me to hear this constant barrage of attacks from the left.

One of the KEY aspects of this plan, is that they must DISGUISE themselves as patriots, compassionate, caring, loving, diverse, etc. The People won't believe them unless they are successful at this aspect. They've developed a PERFECT disguise, with the assistance of a very powerful individual. We must all STAND strong against them and their fiery darts. They sting as the scorpion stings; because a scorpion injects it's digestive juice into the victim and melts the victim's spine and bones before it consumes the victim. The lefts venom is political correctness and it has melted the spine of millions of people. Has caused them to be afraid to stand up, for fear of offending someone and repercussions from doing so. For example, Paula Deen is suffering these repercussions as we speak. Her career is in complete collapse and there will be no saving it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/30/13 - 04:29 pm
myfather about this..

True it is that her career is suffering BUT thankfully we see what has happened ....MANY true Americans have had enough of PC insults to our culture--our business--our laws--our everyday life....we see what the national media has done...a constant drumbeat for LIB ideas..

Taking Paula down won't be easy....she can get her own line of restaurants---her own publisher--we can order her goods through online.....this has been a huge wakeup for us...believe me...she has millions supporting her & this won't fade away ....I now want to get involved more than ever....just watch the near future....when someone is called a racist they better have more proof.

myfather15
myfather15 06/30/13 - 05:38 pm
SeenitB4

I agree; I love seeing support pour in for people who are victims of political correctness. A better example is what happened to Chic-fil-a last year. I got goose bumps seeing all the people at Chic-fil-a that day, as I was there.

BUT, on the Paula Deen side; I'm not sure she is deserving of our support. This is JUST my opinion, but she supported Obama in 2008 and donated to the campaign. She has also has support initiatives of several liberal democrats. I BELIEVE she claims to be a southern conservative (not sure about that) but it appears she plays both sides and panders to the liberals. Sounds to me (only my opinion) that she is getting her "just desserts" (definate pun intended); for supporting those who are now cutting her throat. She should have known better than to support these liars and fakes, in the first place.

chascushman
chascushman 06/30/13 - 05:48 pm
"Sounds to me (only my

"Sounds to me (only my opinion) that she is getting her "just desserts" (definate pun intended); for supporting those who are now cutting her throat."
I agree 100%

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/30/13 - 06:06 pm
The surest sign this was several bricks short of a full load is

that none of the usual lefty libs have shown up to defend this laughable screed.

This is so far out there--probably out around pluto--that it would be hard to justify putting forth the effort to address even the obvious idiocies and inaccuracies. Really, why bother?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/30/13 - 06:11 pm
I understand your thought myfather

I think many corprations place their bets on both sides of the political fence,....she is no different....after this episode I would bet she will monitor her resoucres like never before...the part that bothers me is the hypocrisy of the words used......some can use & some can't...you could talk all day to me BUT I will never agree that is ok...have to leave this posting site now...see yall

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/30/13 - 06:40 pm
This is the "United" States

This is the "United" States so N, S, E, W just describe the parameters of our great country and not divides. Geesh. Southerners hated Booth because the South would be punished for the heresy by the North for some time. Fiat I agree, makes me thirsty but not for Kool-Aid. Gin, Vodka, Whiskey all may help-they will be easier to swallow too. Now all the progressives can quit complaining the AC only picks conservative viewpoints.

allhans
allhans 06/30/13 - 07:21 pm
I dislike the fact that in

I dislike the fact that in trying to make herself look better, Deen pointed fingers at being raised in the south.

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/30/13 - 07:51 pm
Darby 11:24

Nail meet head, head meet nail.

Ken2010
Ken2010 06/30/13 - 08:36 pm
Myfather 15

The only comment I made about LBJ was mainly in passing. I said, "A third took issue with LBJ by insinuating he was a racist. He probably was...". I was trying to be tactful but accurate. I've heard a lot of audio tapes released from when Johnson was president, to me he sounded very racist among many of his less than desirable traits that wouldn't be tolerated today. I have no love for LBJ. I used to cringe when he lifted his beagle by it's ears. He also was the first to send troops into Vietnam. I won't go into all the wars we've been involved in that have yet to result in a peace treaty or a definitive victory. The last peace treaty I remember the U.S. signing was on 2 September 1945. Still waiting for my first victory parade. I went back and looked at my references to Bush. Ctrl-F saves a lot of time. I was talking about what he said and I try to not used pronouns if I can help it. As far as Obama goes, to me he has been Bush on steroids, no change, nothing but rhetoric. He brought along a lot of the same people both from the financial sector and from the military that served under Bush. The financial sector and the DJIA are doing fine under Obama and Obama certainly has not earned his Nobel Peace Prize. With the exception of the Affordable Care Act I haven't seen a lot of change from what went on under Bush. If you can tolerate a documentary watch the Inside Job by Charles Ferguson. He did great job explaining what happened. There are also trailers also online. I didn't understand the LP word reference?

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...