The 2012 election is big -- but not for the reasons you might think

This upcoming presidential election is, as some have said, perhaps the most important one we have had in the past century.

It will determine the direction of the country for at least just as many years to come. The Supreme Court; health care; immigration; education; scientific discovery; energy; foreign policy; infrastructure – you name it. Just about everything we can think of is riding on this election.

But there is one thing for sure: When it is all over, regardless who is declared the winner, we still will exist as a country, united first to defend against the enemy and united second to be that shining city on a hill about which one of our former presidents spoke.

THIS 2012 ELECTION, across the board – just like all other elections – began as soon as the president took office in 2009. When Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said that his No. 1 job after the election was to see to it that President Obama was not re-elected to the White House, it was nothing new. However, what was unexpected was that he said it loud and clear, so everyone could hear him and make no mistake about it. It would make no difference at all what the president might accomplish during his term in office to McConnell and others like him. Can you really trust a man to tell you whom to vote for when he already has prejudged the candidate? Will he be fair in his judgment? Go figure.

Not only was this McConnell’s plan in 2009 and thereafter, it was the plan of many others, as we have seen over the past four years. Why? I hear the cries out there saying everything from “Obama’s not an American” to “he’s a Muslim.”

This man has been attacked with some of the most outlandish and vicious propaganda that I have ever heard bestowed upon a president, even upon our most dishonored ones. Yet, Obama has carried on with dignity.

EVEN IF OBAMA should lose the presidency, I would hope that his loss will win the hearts and minds of those of us who want to see this country go forward and not backward. There will be another day.

Let me be clear: I, as an American, am proud of this president and how he has led this country over the past four years. It was not so much what he did for me, but rather what he did for the country. We all are better off for it.

These attacks on the president remind me of my caddying days at the Augusta Country Club, when I first started out and not knowing much about caddying. Mr. Kilgore cursed me out on every hole and called me all kinds of names. What could I do about it under the circumstances but maintain my dignity and let him be the powerful fool he showed me he was that day? He may have been very important among his peers, but on this 12-year-old boy, that day, he made a lasting impression.

Just who are they who want the president removed from office come Nov. 6, at any cost? They are the big investors in this election, hiding behind their unlimited contributions and siding with candidates with whom they can have the most influence.

THIS ELECTION is much bigger than what the rich and powerful would have us to believe. It is not about race. It is not about religion, or about any other trivial things that are thrown into the campaign as distractions. I call them trivial because they always are going to be with us. Period.

While we are throwing names at one another, there are sinister people out there who can care less about either one of us. Why do you think this is so? They want control and to be able to operate at the least cost, which is not always good because the savings are not passed on to the consumer. Even the tax breaks that corporations get are paid for by, yes, us. Isn’t that strange?

Whom did we say we want to be governed by? The rich? You have to be kidding. You want to find a rich person at a campaign rally? It is undignified for them. Instead, they send pawns out to do their bidding for them.

IF PEOPLE DO anything to win, including destroying a man’s character, how will they rule? You cannot win with immoral tactics, then turn around and rule morally. If there is any doubt about this, ask former President Richard Nixon. His presidency fell not because of Watergate. It began to tumble way before then, as historians have pointed out. There is a character flaw in the “win at any cost” campaign. Anyone who wins by any means necessary, rules by any means necessary.

I was taken aback when one of our aristocrat politicians defended a local farmer politician in his battle for the District 12 U.S. House seat redrawn by Republican leaders in Atlanta. By anyone’s calculations, this easily should be a Republican seat – except for just one little problem: The Republican candidate cannot speak for himself. The former aristocrat politician says that is OK.

If a politician is unable to speak to the people in the district he is vying to represent, how is he going to speak to the complicated issues facing him in Washington, D.C.? Oh, I almost forgot. The former aristocrat politician – who, by the way, has learned his own lesson about local politics – says this man will vote the way he is supposed to vote: party line. At least incumbent U.S. Rep. John Barrow has a little independent thinking left after being tested in Washington for a few years.

Nevertheless, I guess this is how far we have come – or, should I say, how far we have gone backward, when all we needed then was a mouthpiece, no matter the qualifications. Those were the days when Southern politics were raw, where anything went to
win. Read Gothic Politics in the Deep South, by Robert Sherrill. I do not know about you but, for me, I do not want to go back to those days.

THE WORST THING former President Ronald Reagan said was that the government is not the solution, but the problem. Ever since, some have believed this falsehood and have made it difficult for government to function. This rather sinister characterization of American government is just short of treason. As long as people believe this, no form of government will please them. The next four years, they will be crying again: “Kick the rascals out!”

(The writer is a former Augusta City Council member and a retired labor relations manager from Bechtel Savannah River Inc.)

Young Fred
Young Fred 11/04/12 - 08:34 am
“...those of us who want to

“...those of us who want to see this country go forward and not backward...”

I believe that most all wish for the very same.

You've raised so many points I'm not sure where to start.

You spoke of a country “united first to defend against the enemy and united second to be that shining city on a hill about which one of our former presidents spoke.” I have to be honest, I've not seen much to make me believe this is the case with the current White House occupant.

You take issue with Senator Mitch McConnell, saying his job was to see Obama not re-elected was “nothing new, but saying it out loud” was somehow worse???? I wonder if you even understand what you are saying! Mr. Abrams, I do believe that you have “Washingtonittus”.

Let me give you a different perspective. Those of us that actually looked at the content of his character and not just his skin color realized very quickly that this was a man that needed to be stopped.

I understand that you and I have very different perspectives, I also realize that many minorities only see hope, justice, and equality in the form of government.

I just hope that one day you'll realize that those of us fighting for individual freedoms from statist governments, do so for all, and that statist governments are just using you as a means to an end.

Young Fred
Young Fred 11/04/12 - 08:45 am
When Obama gave his 2004

When Obama gave his 2004 democratic convention speech, it was so good that I forgot a basic truth in politics. If you're a democrat on the national stage, you must sound conservative in order to get elected.

It must be really bad to have to listen to all that rhetoric knowing that your guy doesn't really mean it.

To this day, he still uses that ploy. But there's a difference this time. He's been in the spotlight for four years. Only the most rabid of partisians don't know or don't care that his rhetoric doesn't match his actions.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/04/12 - 09:19 am
"I call them trivial because

"I call them trivial because they always are going to be with us"

I do not call a $16.2 trillion debt, $1 trillion annual deficit, and 14.6% REAL unemployment rate, Obamacare fixing to add another $2 trillion in debt, a recently DEAD ambassador, and an ongoing coverup TRIVIAL.

Mr. Abrams wants us to believe Republicans don't like Obama because he is black but that is NOT the case. Republicans, Independents, and moderate Democrats have TONS OF VALID REASONS to vote against the Obama regime and NOT ONE OF THOSE REASONS IS TRIVIAL....or related to race. Obama has been a disaster in EACH and EVERY one of his policies from energy to healthcare to foreign policy and it is obvious to all. Even the president himself has not been able to defend the outcome of 4 years of his policies. The best he has been able to come up with is to beg for 4 more years to complete the destructive course he has set for this nation.

soapy_725
soapy_725 11/04/12 - 09:56 am
Maybe we should follow "Oh Canada" and have two separate but

equal cultural governments. Those Canadians have always been earth movers and shakers. How boot that?

avidreader
avidreader 11/04/12 - 10:09 am
Good Commentary:

"The next four years, they will be crying again: “Kick the rascals out!”

Although I am no fan of Obama, I agree with the context of Mr. Abram's commentary. We always end up chosing the lesser of two evils. In four years, we'll be screaming for Romney's head on a platter. Until the House and Senate are restricted to term limitations, nothing much will ever change. I don't think the President has as much power as the public believes he does. Obama's a nice guy and Romney has the perfect haircut, and both have a czarist craving to rule. So it goes!

KSL
KSL 11/04/12 - 10:42 am
Mr Abrams might feel

Mr Abrams might feel differently were he not retired, and was still needing to have a job.

willie7
willie7 11/04/12 - 11:04 am

Thank you Mr Abrams, for this very fine article .
The story needs to be told, and you are telling it.
So many of us are ignorant of our history that we fail to see the big picture.The same tactics are used today as were used to maintain slavery.

impossible
impossible 11/04/12 - 11:14 am
Abuse of Power

Mr. Abrams needs to be reminded of what Chief Justice John Marshall said in the early 1800's: "The power to tax is the power to destroy." How very true. One could also say that the power to tax is the power to increase power, to increase power, to increase power....... It is obvious that destruction of America and increased dictatorial power are Obama's primary goals. Socialism, leading to Communism, to anarchy and finally revolution etc are the obvious results. The Communists have never given up and will never give up, so eternal vigilance is the watchword. There's an excellent movie on line that will be there until election day. I'll look up site and add later.

impossible
impossible 11/04/12 - 11:18 am
Must See Movie

AGENDA: Grinding America Down (Full Movie)

I started watching this full length movie and couldn't stop. It is a true story of what has been done and is being done to America, destroying her from within.

It is especially valuable and important for grandparents with lots of children and grandchildren to give them something of lasting value (Omaha nieces!!!!!)

It so impressed me that I am thinking of having a movie night for friends. This needs to be seen by as many people as possible as soon as possible and then shown by them to their children and friends, and so on.

It's an hour and thirty-two minutes of fascinating history/information on how we have gotten to the condition we are in and how to get our country back to God and constitutionality.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 11/04/12 - 12:34 pm
Nice segue way Wille7…

Nice segue way Wille7… straight from not knowing history to slavery….BRAVO!

Steve62351
Steve62351 11/04/12 - 03:24 pm
Grady's rant with no pathforward

It's hard for me to feel empathy for Mr. Abrams opinions when he rants about what he sees as unjust or needing to be improved, but doesn't spell out the actions he is taking to bring about improvements so we can all join in helping him make the improvements come to be. Mr. Abrams worked at SRS, so he had to have seen many, many people of all backgrounds (race, creed, ethnicity, religion, and yes, color (red, yellow, black, white, brown, I apologize if left out someone's color) working together in relative harmony. It is possible you know: People of all backgrounds accepting each other while each works to improve their own lot in life. I don't see the same conditions that Mr. Abrams writes about. Instead of seeing the problem being rich versus poor, I see the problem that not enough people are working hard to be self-reliant, taking responsibility for their own sustenance and well-being. I see the problem that not enough Moms and Dads are making their marriages work and raising their own children to become capable, caring, responsible adults. I see the problem of too many people relying on government and not enough people using their own ability to take care of their needs. It's sad that Mr. Abrams is so quick to cut and criticize while being almost silent on what actions he is taking to solve the problem's he sees. He makes it sound like he and the rest of us are victims of the rich or the powerful. I don't see it that way. I see each of us given a life to choose what we make of it. I choose to work to take care of myself and my family, and I choose to share my engineering, science, and math knowledge with students at schools throughout the CSRA by volunteering to lead students in hands-on science activities in their classrooms and tutoring them in math. I encourage all people to take responsibility for their lives, raise their own off-spring, and give back to their communities in ways they can. Mr. Abram's: Please lead by example and tell us what you are doing to resolve the problems you see.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/04/12 - 04:20 pm
Bravo Steve!! With some

Bravo Steve!! With some people, it is always someone else keeping them "down".

I'm 58 years old, started my first regular paying job at 13; and I have never witnessed a fellow employee held back or fired for any other reason than job performance. Whether violations of policy, poor execution of their craft, or outright sloth, every failure was of their own making.

KSL
KSL 11/04/12 - 09:43 pm
I have been earning money

I have been earning money since I was 5 years old. When I was 5 years old I walked to the corner store to purchase something for an elderly neighbor. I earned a nickle for doing that. It is still in my baby book.

When I was in grammar school, right after our move from Athens, I was allowed to pick up the pecans that fell in our yard and my grandparents'
yard and sell them in my grandmother's country store for 50 cents a pound. At 12 I was hired as a babysitter for a cousin who had 4 children under the age of 10.

KSL
KSL 11/04/12 - 11:11 pm
Huh, Three people don't like

Huh, Three people don't like the fact that I earned money. I was taught to earn money.Wonder how much money I have earned that has gone to pay for their benefits or those to their family members? Be careful who you don't appreciate!

impossible
impossible 11/04/12 - 11:52 pm
Talented fiction writer

Mr. Abrams has quite an imagination and shows a talent for fictional prose. His heroes are continuing the slavery of the past, with a twist. The slaves are kept downtrodden in the company store - the welfare state - consigned to a hopeless existence with no change in sight, unless they wake up and find that Obama and his kind are the new slave masters. They need to throw off the chains and vote for someone who prizes children more than unions and their big political congtributions.l

wayne2410
wayne2410 11/05/12 - 04:43 pm
Liberals do not like people

Liberals do not like people who earn their own living, it makes it hard for them to control them if they do not have them dependent on the govt. And liberals are all about control, individual freedom and self sufficiency are two things they hate with a passion.