In defense of Lee Anderson -- our country is at stake

All Republicans and conservatives in Augusta and Columbia County need to vote for Lee Anderson as our next congressman. Our country is at stake in this election.

U.S. Rep. John Barrow will support Democratic and liberal attempts to control the House of Representatives. He has proved that every time he has voted to elect the ultra-liberal Nancy Pelosi as speaker of the House.

ALL MY ADULT life, I have either served as an elected Republican or fought for conservative ideas. There was a day, mostly before my time, when Republicans in the CSRA were few and far-between. Conservative-to-moderate Democrats held most offices, local and state. Many of our most devoted Republicans remember those lean years, many of them living on the Hill in Augusta and areas such as West Lake in Columbia County.

Today things have changed. Republicans hold the majority in several CSRA counties and in the Capitol in Atlanta. We’ve become a big party with lots of people and all kinds of Republicans.

I’ve run against Republicans when I thought we could do better, and I have the political scars to show for it. But after the primary, we must come together and support the best conservative, and that is Lee Anderson.

One of the first things you learn in law school is to admit the obvious to the jury. If you don’t, they won’t trust you on the important things. So let’s just face it straight up: Our candidate for Congress is not an orator, at all. He would never outtalk his well-polished lawyer opponent. So he has decided not to try. But what he will do is be a steady conservative vote in Congress. He will help Republican leadership fight the liberalism that is destroying our country.

I’ve known John Barrow and his family since college. Barrow’s father was a well-respected Superior Court judge in Athens. His mother was one of my favorite professors at the University of Georgia. John himself is an affable, likeable guy. And he’s also one of the biggest liberals you will ever meet. He’s smart enough to vote the opposite of his conscience and be “moderate” every now and then because he knows he must run a Georgia campaign to get re-elected.

I’VE ALSO KNOWN Lee Anderson all my life. He is a plain-spoken man. He’s the farmer who always opened his dairy to busloads of schoolkids. He has been married – once – for more than 30 years to his wife, Donna, a respected teacher and principal. He’s been active in his church. He served his community on the school board, county commission, and in the state House. He didn’t get elected and re-elected to all those positions because he’s a country bumpkin or “Honey Boo-Boo.” He won the vote of his community because he was a dependable conservative vote for what’s right.

Now it’s time for conservatives to do what’s right. Lee Anderson is the candidate who will vote to end the disastrous path upon which John Barrow and his fellow Democrats have placed us. No matter where you live – but especially if you live on the Hill or a suburb in Evans or Martinez – you must put aside any thoughts that it might be OK to vote for a closet liberal who makes you feel better because he happens to present well.

It’s just too important. Our country needs you, now more than ever.

(The writer is an attorney; a former Columbia County Commission chairman; a former majority whip in the Georgia House of Representatives; and currently representative-elect State House District 121 in Columbia and McDuffie counties.)

jeff scott
jeff scott 10/21/12 - 02:24 am
Not an orator

"Not an orator" You can get away with that in the GA House, but in the US House, that means less than optimal returns for my district. He will not get to a leadership position if he cannot fluently and effortlessly talk the talk. Twice now he has refused to debate his opponent...that is not a good sign. And working on behalf of those who wish to raise the sales tax is unforgivable. What was he thinking? I'm not advocating a vote for Barrow, but my support and my vote will be earned, and Lee Anderson hasn't earned it. He is not a Republican of the future, but of the past.

Suleiman
Suleiman 10/22/12 - 05:20 am
If Congress...

is not run on the practice of oratory and personal communication skills, then I must not understand how our government works.

Unless I am reading this wrong, your central argument is this: "Please vote for our candidate. No, he does not possess the central skills related to the job, but he's a good person who will fight for you!"

How can anyone go to Congress and fight for anything without basic public speaking and debate skills? Your admission that Mr. Anderson is not an orator should make us all stop and wonder, "Then why, in heaven's name, would we employ him as the voice of our district?"

I'm not advocating a vote for John Barrow either... at this point, I'll probably write in "Mickey Mouse".

JRE
JRE 10/21/12 - 10:40 am
I am one of the voters from

I am one of the voters from Martinez that will vote for Barrow only because Anderson is totally unqualified. There was a great opportunity to replace Barrow but is was squandered. We do not need to send someone to Washington that is incompetant and has to be told how to vote.

avidreader
avidreader 10/21/12 - 10:52 am
Excellent Letter!

Mr. Fleming, Great letter. You sir, have the skills to express yourself. Maybe you could serve as Anderson's proxy in a local debate.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 10/21/12 - 01:31 pm
"not an orator"

That's funny! "Not an orator" is classic understatement. What Lee Anderson is is basically inarticulate, and when he does try to discuss issues he will be required to vote on, he reveals a lack of understanding of government that is appalling. The posts here and on today's editorial from conservatives so unhappy with Anderson that they may vote for Barrow should have Anderson's supporters (and apologists such as Barry Fleming) VERY NERVOUS!

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 10/21/12 - 09:37 pm
Lee Anderson

I have known him since junior high school. He wasn't interested in government but ended up with a good career. I didn't follow him closely because we lived in and out of Augusta, but I liked the idea of someone I knew in government. Having seen his record from the state legislature, left calls that were never returned and his lack of knowledge in building knowledge about our government and how it operates leaves me with no choice. I wonder who is really behind Lee Anderson, what he would/could stand for in Washington and who he will owe his debt to for getting there. He would certainly have a nice retirement, but how does that benefit me, us and the people that elected him? Too many missed opportunities for him to come out and be Lee for me to take a chance on this change. The republican party missed a great opportunity here and they should remember that in two years.

harley_52
harley_52 10/21/12 - 10:51 pm
John Barrow....

...is a liberal. Knowing he represents a largely Conservative district, he hides it fairly well. He votes with Republicans whenever his vote is completely meaningless, but votes with the liberals on big issues where it really counts.

Anderson may not be the "ideal" Republican candidate, but he's much more "ideal" than is Barrow.

Vote for Anderson. Thank the Scott Peebles crossover voters for bringing us a candidate who isn't ideal. Republicans (inspired by the ACES) outsmarted themselves and demonstrated what trying to "game" the system rather than voting your conscience brings you.

rebellious
20514
rebellious 10/22/12 - 02:05 am
Harley said it

A weak conservative is better than a strong liberal. All day long and twice on Sunday!

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 10/22/12 - 10:27 am
Did Lee raise property taxes???

The Barrow campaign says Lee raised property taxes. If this is not true it is the slander that could cost Lee and ANYONE SUPPORTING him their entire political career not just this election. Lee needs to come out with a special announcement either explaining or denying a PROPERTY TAX INCREASE. Any politician who votes to take even more property away from struggling home owners is being PERMANTLY BLACKLISTED FOR L-I-F-E. There are many different taxpayer unions associations and informed voters now that will I-N-S-U-R-E THAT. The number of struggling homeowners being told to pay more money they don't have or be swarmed by tax U-S-E-R-S with guns and tasers and forced out of their homes under threat of death or serious injury by O.P.M. (Other People’s Money) addicts is an international scandal. Our worst enemies all over the world use property taxes as proof that American Tax U-S-E-R-S are the most irresponsible evil and lawbreaking specie on the planet. It may be completely unconstitutional to deny a homeowner being secure in their possessions as per our battered bill of rights. Now with this recent property tax increase more home owners will be subjected to more cruel and unusual punishment by tax U-S-E-R-S who wear sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves deceiving and destroying the heart of our great nation to waste the filthy lucre they extract on God knows what kinds of perversions we see coming out in the news almost daily. All these likely unconstitutional attacks on our right to be secure in our possessions can be EASILY prevented by making tax U-S-E-R-S refund some or all of two yrs of pay if they fail to keep their campaign promises under already existing fraud laws. We don’t need more laws just the ones we have enforced on behalf of the property owner. Right now there is a likely illegal double standard of treatment. One way of enforcing laws on the tax U-S-E-R-S and another completely different way of enforcing the laws on the tax payers. If you are a tax payer and you do the illegal things tax U-S-E-R-S do you’ll most likely lose your home when the tax U-S-E-R-S throw you in jail. But if you are a tax U-S-E-R then the worst that may happen is you may be fired or reshuffled into the tax U-S-E-R minions. Please Lee if you did not do this horrible despicable and scandalous evil then PLEASE come out and DENY it. Otherwise you and anyone associated with you may REMAIN BLACKLISTED FOR L-I-F-E.

MeinAugusta2
MeinAugusta2 10/22/12 - 03:56 pm
Conservative v. Liberal

I, too, would vote for a weak conservative over a strong liberal any day of the week! Good luck, Mr. Anderson!

Suleiman
Suleiman 10/23/12 - 07:23 am
The problem I have with

voting for a "weak conservative" occurs when that weakness is located in the mind.

I wouldn't be comfortable with voting for Mr. Anderson OR Mr. Barrow because of what I perceive as a lack of original thought and conviction.

Give me a candidate who genuinely believes in something, not a party yes-man.

revckd
revckd 10/23/12 - 10:19 am
Oratory Skills?!?!

Oratory Skills?!?!

Let’s see... what many are saying is my choice is someone who can speak well OR someone who will vote RIGHT. DUH, what is wrong with people?

Tickle the ears OR Do The Right Thing!
It is time WE do the right thing and not talk it to death then be fooled into the wrong choice... again.