Obama is an unfair victim of hatred

I must lean forward to speak highly and positively defending Barack Obama, who is a class act and a brilliant American leader.

I consider Mr. Obama’s stellar performance as president as something to be imitated, because he has proved to the entire American population that he has the right stuff as the No. 1 leader in the free world. Now it is time for all of his detractors to accept this reality and move on with their lives.

IF THE MAJORITY of intelligent, astute, highly educated and fair-minded Americans vote for Mr. Obama for a second term, it would be a true blessing from God to know that these individuals took the high road. They did not allow race to be a factor in their judgment in selecting a brilliant black American to lead our great nation to the next level of success. If re-elected, I’m convinced he would step up his game.

For me to cast my vote for the second time for my president is a step in the right direction to help combat the vicious hatred that has been unfairly perpetuated upon him by right-wing Republicans, such as Rush Limbaugh, Joe Wilson, Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly and Donald Trump. I consider them to be modern-day Klu Klux Klansmen in disguise. These men are unable to accept and live with the fact that a black man is the leader for our great nation. If Mr. Obama was a perfect president, these men would still be against him because of the color of his skin.

Why must these men have such ignorant mentalities?

Black Americans have fought, and been killed in, all American wars, yet they’re still relegated to second-class citizen status in our nation. This is
definitely indicative of how Mr. Obama is being treated as America’s president. I just don’t understand this narrative.

CASE IN POINT: U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina was mean-spirited, ugly and nasty when he outright yelled out during Mr. Obama’s 2009 joint address to Congress calling this respectable leader of the free world a liar. Mr. Wilson took racism to the next level. Mr. Wilson never would have performed such an act if the president had his skin color. I hope all Americans can handle this truth.

When this awful situation occurred, I asked myself: Was this man psychologically disturbed, intoxicated or just revealing his true attitude?

Black Americans are proud that they have overcome many obstacles and made a great amount of progress since 1865, but they are still marginalized in our American society, and this isn’t right. Will this narrative ever change? Only God is able to provide a definitive answer.

BLACK AMERICANS must now deal with the reality that right-wing Republicans have implemented an unfair voting agenda to suppress and disenfranchise millions of black Americans from voting to keep Mr. Obama from being re-elected president. Is this the American way for maintaining a just and democratic way of life for all Americans? I don’t think so.

How is it possible for our nation to encourage other suppressed and disenfranchised nations around the world to adopt a democratic way of life, when Republicans are suppressing the black vote in our nation? Is this hypocrisy or what? I wonder what Jesus would say about this madness.

(Editor’s note: The writer is a former Richmond County public school teacher with 31 years of teaching service. He lives in Augusta.)

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 10/14/12 - 10:04 pm
Manners are not my job, ICL.

Manners are not my job, ICL.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/14/12 - 10:17 pm
I can clearly see that

I can clearly see that palmetto. Evidently it wasn't someone else's job either.

harley_52
harley_52 10/14/12 - 10:49 pm
Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/14/12 - 11:13 pm
Marx

Karl Marx was as Aryan as the driven snow. Obama is as Marxist as Marx. There is no racism in the criticism of Obama as Marxist.

myfather15
myfather15 10/14/12 - 11:55 pm
Murderer??

Ooooh yeeeees, the hatred towards Obama is so unprecedented isn't it. Its just awful how he is being treated!! It's an outrage!!

Now, here is a few doses of reality, but please, don't let this stop you liberal rhetoric!!

myfather15
myfather15 10/14/12 - 11:58 pm
How about this one??

An actual U.S. Representative held hearings and welcomed those calling Bush a Murderer!!

myfather15
myfather15 10/15/12 - 12:08 am
Or this one....

An actual congressman saying Bush send troops to Iraq to get their heads blown off for his amusement!!

Has anyone said the same thing about Obama for sending military aid to Libya without approval?? He sent weapons that ended up killing people, without a single vote from congress or senate. Hmmmmm, doesn't sound right does it? But noone has called him a murderer. Oooooh, the humanity of disagreeing with our first black President!! We all must be racists. How simple minded are the people making these allegations? Or is it just the simple fact that they have a hidden agenda to paint everyone who disagrees racist? Which makes more sense?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/15/12 - 11:08 am
And the really scary part of this

is that he stood up in front of public school students for decades, almost certainly sharing his opinion and perspective with the impressionable. Ye gods and little fishes, is it any wonder the last generation of Richmond County drop-outs is so alarmingly idiotic in their values and their behavior!

jmb578
jmb578 10/15/12 - 11:21 am
The problem with Augusta

Mr. Maner is exactly what is wrong with Augusta. As long as racism like his exists in this city, there will never be healing. He's voting for a man because of his race and telling me that if I don't vote based on race, then I'm the racist. How ironic! Perhaps the best line of his piece is: "Was this man psychologically disturbed, intoxicated or just revealing his true attitude?" I would turn that back around to be asked of Mr. Maner himself.

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/15/12 - 11:25 am
Mr. Maner, how dare you write

Mr. Maner, how dare you write such a letter.

Don't you know that now we have a Black President, all racism, past, present and future in America has been extinguished, never to rear it's ugly head again?

But then again all the indignation from the right when such a letter is published sure does amuse many of us.

And, after all the "Southern Strategy" really didn't blossom here in the South as Lyndon Johnson feared it might.

Being a blond haired blue eyed white guy has it's uses. I'm automatically assumed to be one of the "tribe" in many business or social gatherings. Have been all my life. Of course should I speak up at these events(and, I do)I'm automatically branded as an N-word Lover and to my face no less.

But be the evidence of my own personal experience, even unto this day tells me, why I must be wrong.

A Black man is President and ALL racism is gone. Get with the program Maner. Why next it'll be Misogyny and homophobia to be erased and all will be washed clean and well in America.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/15/12 - 02:07 pm
Not only is this guy nothing but a racist,

his reasoning is an abuse of the intellect, whatever there is of it.

If this had been written in support of George W. Bush or Ronald Reagan, Al and Jesse would have been beatin' feet to Augusta to whip up the outrage.

This LTE reveals an arrogance and an antisocial attitude so stunning that I find myself harboring a plummeting respect for the Augusta Comical opinion editor for bringing it to print without some lead-off disclaimer about its content being purely racist screed. A white supremacist would never have been allowed this kind of opportunity to harangue the AC readership without that, which is exactly correct, and as it should have been with this attempt.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 10/15/12 - 07:02 pm
"Nope that solid Red State

"Nope that solid Red State voting block that the "code speakers" use doesn't really exist does it?" That really says it all don't you think?

wraithe
wraithe 10/15/12 - 10:41 pm
Skin color??

Seriously? Skin color is the issue? With all due respect Mr. Maner, you don't have a clue sir. I would vote for Herman Cain, Allen West, Mia Love, or any of a host of other black conservatives for any office, before I would vote for Mr. Barrow, or Mr. Copenhaver to be dog catcher. So, get over your racism, sir. Skin color has nothing to do with my dislike of the current administration. Even if I liked Mr. Obama or his policies, I wouldn't vote for him simply because he chose Joe Biden to be one heartbeat away from the office of President of the United States. That one choice alone proves to me that Mr. Obama doesn't have the judgement to be President.

Bruno
Bruno 10/16/12 - 03:00 pm
Regardless of political

Regardless of political ideology, that letter has to be one of the stupidest screeds I have read.

And before I get reported, notice that I didn't say that the author was stupid but rather the letter was. It is a distinct yet important difference.

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...