Obama is an unfair victim of hatred

I must lean forward to speak highly and positively defending Barack Obama, who is a class act and a brilliant American leader.

I consider Mr. Obama’s stellar performance as president as something to be imitated, because he has proved to the entire American population that he has the right stuff as the No. 1 leader in the free world. Now it is time for all of his detractors to accept this reality and move on with their lives.

IF THE MAJORITY of intelligent, astute, highly educated and fair-minded Americans vote for Mr. Obama for a second term, it would be a true blessing from God to know that these individuals took the high road. They did not allow race to be a factor in their judgment in selecting a brilliant black American to lead our great nation to the next level of success. If re-elected, I’m convinced he would step up his game.

For me to cast my vote for the second time for my president is a step in the right direction to help combat the vicious hatred that has been unfairly perpetuated upon him by right-wing Republicans, such as Rush Limbaugh, Joe Wilson, Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly and Donald Trump. I consider them to be modern-day Klu Klux Klansmen in disguise. These men are unable to accept and live with the fact that a black man is the leader for our great nation. If Mr. Obama was a perfect president, these men would still be against him because of the color of his skin.

Why must these men have such ignorant mentalities?

Black Americans have fought, and been killed in, all American wars, yet they’re still relegated to second-class citizen status in our nation. This is
definitely indicative of how Mr. Obama is being treated as America’s president. I just don’t understand this narrative.

CASE IN POINT: U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina was mean-spirited, ugly and nasty when he outright yelled out during Mr. Obama’s 2009 joint address to Congress calling this respectable leader of the free world a liar. Mr. Wilson took racism to the next level. Mr. Wilson never would have performed such an act if the president had his skin color. I hope all Americans can handle this truth.

When this awful situation occurred, I asked myself: Was this man psychologically disturbed, intoxicated or just revealing his true attitude?

Black Americans are proud that they have overcome many obstacles and made a great amount of progress since 1865, but they are still marginalized in our American society, and this isn’t right. Will this narrative ever change? Only God is able to provide a definitive answer.

BLACK AMERICANS must now deal with the reality that right-wing Republicans have implemented an unfair voting agenda to suppress and disenfranchise millions of black Americans from voting to keep Mr. Obama from being re-elected president. Is this the American way for maintaining a just and democratic way of life for all Americans? I don’t think so.

How is it possible for our nation to encourage other suppressed and disenfranchised nations around the world to adopt a democratic way of life, when Republicans are suppressing the black vote in our nation? Is this hypocrisy or what? I wonder what Jesus would say about this madness.

(Editor’s note: The writer is a former Richmond County public school teacher with 31 years of teaching service. He lives in Augusta.)

wgcopeland
wgcopeland 10/14/12 - 12:21 pm
Mr. Cass

....well said sir!!!!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/14/12 - 12:37 pm
WG, we actually agree. I

WG, we actually agree. I don't put much stock in the opinions of celebrities (performers), period; unless they have some experience in the political arena. By nature and vocation they are emotive, and not necessarily logical.

dinohntr
dinohntr 10/14/12 - 01:27 pm
Disent is our heritage

Young Fred said it correctly. It is our heritage to dissent if we disagree with our leaders. Thoreau said it. Reverend King said it. And even Hillary Clinton said it. Yes, Hilary Clinton disagreed with President Bush on his actions in Iraq and spoke out against the critics who implied that if you disagree with the President you are unpatriotic.

So, I say (and at risk of being called a racist), if you disagree with President Obama's policies and speak out, you are a patriot (as Hillary Clinton stated).

rebellious
20737
rebellious 10/14/12 - 02:51 pm
Not Deserving

This LTE is undeserving of comment and rebuttal. It does, however, serve as undeniable proof that racism is a double edged sword, practiced on both sides of the ever-present divide.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 10/14/12 - 04:01 pm
Good point rebellious...

....the knife cuts both ways when one wishes to rely on a specious argument...

Also dino is correct; to question authority IS patriotic....

KSL
KSL 10/14/12 - 05:48 pm
I was speechless after the

I was speechless after the fisrt paragraph. I am just thankful this guy is no longer teaching.

burninater
burninater 10/14/12 - 06:08 pm
The responses to this article

The responses to this article are interesting.

Nowhere does the letter-writer state this. Rather, he points to the disrespectful treatment of the President, not agreement or disagreement with his policies.

The rejection of any science that doesn't agree with "my" ideas falls in lockstep with this. Nothing is more threatening to the culture of "me" than objective evidence that "I" am incorrect.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/14/12 - 06:33 pm
burninater, I have always

burninater, I have always admired your post (even when I may not agree with them) because you have alway given your view with intellect and the appearance of common sense. After the post you just made, I am going to have to rethink my position. If you can post "The common theme of the responses is that Mr. Maner is accusing people of disagreeing with the President because they are racist. Nowhere does the letter-writer state this. " and truely mean what you just posted, then I'm concerned.

Mr Maner stated, and I quote "They did not allow race to be a factor in their judgment in selecting a brilliant black American to lead our great nation to the next level of success."

Is that or is that not "accusing people of disagreeing with the President because they are racist."?????

burninater
burninater 10/14/12 - 07:03 pm
Mr Maner stated, and I quote

-------
I understand your position on that line ICL, I think I just read it differently. In my mind, there are three types of voters: Democrat Party line voters, Republican Party line voters, and everybody in between. It's the everybody in between for whom race may or may not have been an issue (as the party line voters are going to vote for whomever the candidate is, whatever his/her complexion, or not vote at all if they have enough dislike for their party candidate). Amongst these in betweeners, there are probably a lot of voters who had to confront their feelings about race for the first time (especially in the North and the Northwest, much of which is more segregated than the South; my personal experience is that many people in these areas don't know to what extent they may or may not hold racist feelings, because they've almost never been around someone of a different race). It's for some of these in-betweeners that this conscious or unconscious decision to look past race was probably going on, and I'd feel pretty confident that a number of voters cast a vote for Obama despite some initial misgivings due to racial considerations.

This is how I read this, not that the LTE writer was saying that anyone that didn't vote for Obama is racist. I can't know the mind of Mr. Maner, so I may be mistaken.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/14/12 - 07:12 pm
burninater, I suppose I see

burninater, I suppose I see your thought process on this but it still disturbs me. When you say Republican party line voters......are you saying all Republicans who vote along party lines will never vote for an African American, even if we someday have an African American Republican candidate just because the candidate is black?

Maybe I'm not following your thoughs after all...

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 10/14/12 - 07:16 pm
I'm white and voted for Obama

I'm white and voted for Obama in 2008 and plan to do so again in a few weeks. I'm a bit taken aback by the assertions in this letter...besides the empty rhetoric, the implication is that, as a white person, I had to overcome my racist attitudes in order to cast my vote for Obama. Now, that I think about it, I'm more offended than taken aback.

burninater
burninater 10/14/12 - 07:26 pm
are you saying all

---------
Not at all, I think most Republican party line voters would vote for a black candidate. I do think there would be party line voters for whom race would be the deciding factor, and wouldn't vote for a candidate based on race, but I am 100% positive you would find those types of voters in both parties.

My point about the in-betweeners is that they were probably the ones who most likely had to weigh, and overcome, any conscious or unconscious attitudes about race in voting for Obama. In contrast, my gut is that party-line voters are probably either going to fully support their party's candidate, or be so outraged that they either don't vote, or vote for an independent candidate. I don't think a voter that rejects strong party alignment because of a candidate's race is likely to be one of those voters that Mr. Maner was talking about when he said, "They did not allow race to be a factor in their judgment...".

KSL
KSL 10/14/12 - 07:33 pm
Burn

Burn, did you actually read the letter? Please explain the statement in the 4th paragraph.

Lee Benedict
Lee Benedict 10/14/12 - 07:40 pm
A) The letter writer made

A) The letter writer made these ridiculous claims because that is how HE "thinks"; he looks at a candidate's color rather than merits, policies, record, history...

B) Whoever claimed to have read all 26 comments above his/hers or some such stuff and said they were all so rude, hateful, whatever. Why? We simply cited facts and offered reasoning as to why we do not care for Obama's job performance. Common sense was injected, too, and therefore, the leftists could not counter with facts of their own.

C) I wonder what the letter writer thinks of the hate, yes, hate, directed towards Ms. Dash for backing Romney? Someone tweeted that as a black woman, she "screwed" people twice...just for supporting Romney.

D) As if it matters and is anyone's business, I would vote for Herman Cain if he ran against Joe Biden or Hillary Clinton, and, I would vote for Condi Rice if she ran against Biden or Clinton. Sooooo, what now?

E) Remember California v. Simpson? From the moment of the arrest people were taking sides. Not after all admissible evidence was presented...but before really knowing anything. After six months of testimony, I concluded that OJ killed two people. An attorney told me it was because I am white. Long before that, prior to forming an opinion on guilty/not guilty, a female friend predicted that I will claim OJ to be not guilty because I will certainly take the man's side.

Hey people, what about guilt/innocence, policy positions, job performance, life experiences...? When facts and common sense are not on your side, play the racism/hatred card.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/14/12 - 07:46 pm
Burn is wrong

Mr. Maner's calling the radio talk show hosts "modern-day Klansmen in disguise," saying that Joe Wilson's "you lie" comment was based only on skin color, and saying that the Republican party apparatus wants to suppress black voting participation because they're black are indeed racist comments.

KSL
KSL 10/14/12 - 07:54 pm
Good points!

Good points, Lee and LL.

KSL
KSL 10/14/12 - 07:57 pm
I look at the headline and

I look at the headline and think it really should say "Americans are unfair victims of Obama's hatred."

burninater
burninater 10/14/12 - 08:05 pm
Burn, did you actually read

-----------
Yep, I read the letter KSL. The fourth paragraph references people who have attacked Obama in ways, or for issues, unrelated to his policies. In the letter-writers mind, this is evidence of racism, or at least a level of disrespect that is easier when the individual in question is black. Easy examples of this non-issue-related disrepect is birtherism, interrupting the joint address to Congress, proofless accusations of agendas to destroy the county, proofless accusations of alliances with radical Islam, etc.

These are not substantive refutations of policy; they are personal attacks, or expressions of disrespect, of the President. The letter-writer thinks these are without exception motivated by, or expedited by, racist attitudes. As I said in my 6:08, I disagree with Mr. Maner that this level of disdain and disrespect is necessarily racist, but I do agree that it is often divorced from policy issues.

bubbasauce
20619
bubbasauce 10/14/12 - 08:24 pm
Herman Cain would have made a

Herman Cain would have made a great candidate for President, and he is black!

burninater
burninater 10/14/12 - 08:27 pm
Burn is wrongMr. Maner's

Burn is wrong
-----------

LL, could you point out to me where I said Mr. Maner said nothing racist? I'd be curious to know where that came from.

Mr. Maner's potentially racist attitudes don't nullify the potentially racist attitudes motivating the attacks outlined in the LTE.

myfather15
myfather15 10/14/12 - 08:32 pm
"Why must these men have such

"Why must these men have such ignorant mentalities?"

I don't think it's "these men" who have ignorant metalities!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/14/12 - 08:35 pm
Burninater, "Easy examples of

Burninater, "Easy examples of this non-issue-related disrepect is birtherism, interrupting the joint address to Congress,"

The issue of the President's birth has more to do (IMO) with his early childhood muslim upbringing and the appearance of anti-American rethoric of his minister for a number of years and communist mother and the outburst (although I will agree disrespectful) of Joe Wilson during the address to congress (IMO) was more about a passionate disagreement in the truthfulness of this President and had nothing to do with race.

The letter writer might "thinks these are without exception motivated by, or expedited by, racist attitudes" but they are just his opinion and not based on truth. IMO, they are just racial excuses to use to blame the many dissatisfied Americans who have become more vocal in the direction this country is going and opposition to this administration, just because he happens to be black.

KSL
KSL 10/14/12 - 08:52 pm
Burn, I have news for you.

Burn, I have news for you. The animosity toward Obama has nothing to do with his skin color for most of us. It has to do with his policies. He had a kookie mother and grandparents on the white side and bizarre fathers parenting on the other side. He is a total train wreck.Toot, toot!

useful
useful 10/14/12 - 08:51 pm
I am thankful that the writer

I am thankful that the writer is a retired teacher,I'm glad that he is not teaching my child.Yes rep.wilson was rule,when he call obama a liar,but he told the truth. color does not matter to me,but I cannot vote for obama.

myfather15
myfather15 10/14/12 - 08:56 pm
@Burninator

You stated "I think the ultimate problem is that Americans have fallen in love with Ego. There can be no compromise, because only "I", in my ultimate wisdom, can be "right". "

I couldn't agree with you more on this point at least. The Bible actually says "Every mans way is right in his own eyes." Thats the problem with human beings. Even the REAL RACISTS think their way is right. Hitler, Mousinlini, Hussein, Mao all thought their way was right. If you could ask him, I bet Bin-Laden would have said his way was right as well.

The problem is that human beings want power, money, prestige, influence and charisma. The more of these things they get, the more their EGO inflates, as you were talking about. The more their EGO inflates, the less likely they are to humble themselves to a higher power such as God. We need to humble ourselves and understand there is a higher power. Be content that we don't know everything and we should ALL be willing to compromise with one another. When you realize you don't know everything, you will be more likely listen to the thoughts of others.

burninater
burninater 10/14/12 - 09:14 pm
KSL, I am growing

KSL, I am growing increasingly sad that people don't seem to read my posts. This was in my 6:08 --

"His conclusion that this disrespect is in all cases racist isn't founded. In some cases it might be, in other cases not. The level of disrespect is comparable to that leveled at W, and probably more a result of winner-take-all mentalities than anything else."

O wait, I'm relaxing with a couple of beers, watching GB run over Houston, so I'm really not growing increasingly sad that people don't seem to read my posts ... (I'm only kidding anyways KSL, I know that it is easy to misunderstand a poster's intent, I do it all the time).

And myfather, I appreciate you reading mine through -- I always do the same with yours, and although we have our bones of contention that we will never agree on, I suspect we would agree on more than we would disagree.

myfather15
myfather15 10/14/12 - 09:25 pm
@useful

You would be surprised at just how many people just like Mr. Manor, are teaching our children. Liberal's, as part of the plan, have taken over the education system. It's their plan to fundamentally change America. You must do it through the education system first. People like myself are too old and set in my ways so they don't even try with me. They try to mold the minds of our children.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 10/14/12 - 09:29 pm
Actually, the liberal plan is

Actually, the liberal plan is to teach students when and when not to use the apostrophe. But it seems to be hopeless.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/14/12 - 09:38 pm
Maybe the liberal plan should

Maybe the liberal plan should be to teach manners and quit worrying so much about the apostrophe.

Tots
Tots 10/14/12 - 09:55 pm
Dang,

Is all i'm going to say...Not-really.....Very good reading of comments tonight...Thank's to all of you.