Obama is an unfair victim of hatred

I must lean forward to speak highly and positively defending Barack Obama, who is a class act and a brilliant American leader.

I consider Mr. Obama’s stellar performance as president as something to be imitated, because he has proved to the entire American population that he has the right stuff as the No. 1 leader in the free world. Now it is time for all of his detractors to accept this reality and move on with their lives.

IF THE MAJORITY of intelligent, astute, highly educated and fair-minded Americans vote for Mr. Obama for a second term, it would be a true blessing from God to know that these individuals took the high road. They did not allow race to be a factor in their judgment in selecting a brilliant black American to lead our great nation to the next level of success. If re-elected, I’m convinced he would step up his game.

For me to cast my vote for the second time for my president is a step in the right direction to help combat the vicious hatred that has been unfairly perpetuated upon him by right-wing Republicans, such as Rush Limbaugh, Joe Wilson, Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly and Donald Trump. I consider them to be modern-day Klu Klux Klansmen in disguise. These men are unable to accept and live with the fact that a black man is the leader for our great nation. If Mr. Obama was a perfect president, these men would still be against him because of the color of his skin.

Why must these men have such ignorant mentalities?

Black Americans have fought, and been killed in, all American wars, yet they’re still relegated to second-class citizen status in our nation. This is
definitely indicative of how Mr. Obama is being treated as America’s president. I just don’t understand this narrative.

CASE IN POINT: U.S. Rep. Joe Wilson of South Carolina was mean-spirited, ugly and nasty when he outright yelled out during Mr. Obama’s 2009 joint address to Congress calling this respectable leader of the free world a liar. Mr. Wilson took racism to the next level. Mr. Wilson never would have performed such an act if the president had his skin color. I hope all Americans can handle this truth.

When this awful situation occurred, I asked myself: Was this man psychologically disturbed, intoxicated or just revealing his true attitude?

Black Americans are proud that they have overcome many obstacles and made a great amount of progress since 1865, but they are still marginalized in our American society, and this isn’t right. Will this narrative ever change? Only God is able to provide a definitive answer.

BLACK AMERICANS must now deal with the reality that right-wing Republicans have implemented an unfair voting agenda to suppress and disenfranchise millions of black Americans from voting to keep Mr. Obama from being re-elected president. Is this the American way for maintaining a just and democratic way of life for all Americans? I don’t think so.

How is it possible for our nation to encourage other suppressed and disenfranchised nations around the world to adopt a democratic way of life, when Republicans are suppressing the black vote in our nation? Is this hypocrisy or what? I wonder what Jesus would say about this madness.

(Editor’s note: The writer is a former Richmond County public school teacher with 31 years of teaching service. He lives in Augusta.)

Young Fred
Young Fred 10/14/12 - 01:44 am
Psst, the emperor has no clothes

Wow, to know the letter writer was a public school teacher for 31 years is truly disturbing. He's obviously educated, so I can only surmise he's blinded by his race.

Here's a little something you must have forgotten. It is our heritage, no matter your race, to loudly, forcibly and openly disagree with our political leaders, most especially if you believe their actions are detrimental to the country and its citizens.

I understand your discomfort, having to listen to the almost deafening roar of various citizens pointing out the many, many failings of this historic president. But to claim it's hate or racism, is to admit that your team has lost the battle of ideas.

carcraft
carcraft 10/14/12 - 06:33 am
Well said Fred!

Well said Fred!

avidreader
avidreader 10/14/12 - 06:59 am
Offended

I am highly offended by this letter. Your "truth" is your business, but do not attempt to persuade the public with your rhetoric. With very few exceptions, your views are baseless, unsubstantiated verbal diarrhea. Your "Case in Point" involves a congressman who made a fool of himself. To call this man a racist is absurd. Apparently, you know nothing about Mr. Wilson.

I am a dedicated school teacher, and I consider your drivel as an insult to our profession. Please consider this: maybe the ONLY reason the Chronicle printed this letter was to draw the ire of intelligent people who would respond with vigor and unmask you as the racist that you appear to be. I doubt that Mr. Obama would appreciate your menacing words.

I will vote for whomever I choose without considering the color of a man's skin.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 10/14/12 - 08:11 am
This letter shows how far we

This letter shows how far we have come since King speech about the content of the character and not the color of the skin..it simply shows that the liberal establishment cares nothing about character but only about race. That is why the dims elected in 2008 elected a community agitator and not someone of content and experience. I'm ashamed to see such blatant unfounded accusations come from a public official. His students undoubtably where always given a bias view and a poor example of constructive analysis. This simply shows why we need to get rid of the dept of education and institute school choice. No more propaganda for our children from the elitist who judge all without content.

bill cass
bill cass 10/14/12 - 08:14 am
So....

Would Joe Biden have used his "They want to put y'all back in chains" comment if the President were white? Would President Obama have suddenly developed a black dialect when he claimed the U.S. government did not care that people in New Orleans died if he were white? This list of virulent, vitriolic racist comments by the left is endless.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/14/12 - 08:30 am
Oh well, now here is an

Oh well, now here is an unbiased letter explaining Obama's greatness. He is black and we are all racists. I see Mr. Maner skipped over a few minor points like the economy, 2 credit rating downgrades, the unemployment rate, the class warfare, the failed foreign policy, the failed energy policy, the failed taxpayer funded "green energy" boondoggle, etc. If you want to see blind racism Mr. Maner you need to run to the bathroom and take a look in the mirror.

It seems to me that an educator would realize that if you are going to write a letter about someon's greatness you need to cite at least ONE reason why he is great. I see nothing in your letter to justify Obama being great other than he is black. Now, who is the racist Mr. Maner?

Mr. Maner, the fact that you and your racism taught in the public school system for 31 years is almost as scary and Obama getting 4 more years to finish imposing his socialist agenda on this nation.

Lee Benedict
Lee Benedict 10/14/12 - 08:40 am
Facts?

Does the letter writer have any facts pertaining to "Mr. Obama’s stellar performance as president..." which is "something to be imitated" and HOW "he has proved to the entire American population that he has the right stuff as the No. 1 leader in the free world", not to mention why WE MUST "accept this reality and move on with their lives"?

This is just MORE inane leftist racist dribble coming from a racist editorialist. All I can say is that it must be nice to be so perfect that whenever anyone disagrees with your RECORD and policies, it is automatically because of skin tone. Seriously. Disagree with Obama and it's because of melanin. Cite facts to substantiate why Obama is not good for America and Americans, why that's just hatred. Dude, come on. Reading this garbage I found myself disgusted and laughing like Joe Biden at the same time.

BTW, if one opposes Mitt Romney, I think I'll call it hatred and racism. QUESTION: in 2008 Obama received approximately 30% of "the white vote" and 96% of "the black vote", and I suspect that 2012 will be not much different. What if Romney receives 96% of "the white vote"? What is 4% of white people vote for Obama? Talk about racism. If 96ish% of "the black vote" went for the black candidate and the media and America accepted it without calling it for what it was and is, racism, then...

Lee Benedict
Lee Benedict 10/14/12 - 08:47 am
Didn't Obama state in one of

Didn't Obama state in one of his books how ashamed he was of his mother being white?

How about the "church" the Obama's attended for 20+ years? Jeremiah Wright spread the love for all didn't he?

What about Obama writing that should the political climate shift, he will side with the Muslims?

You see letter writer, facts help to explain things...not your rhetoric. Your fusion of words, and Obama's, show stupidity and the assumption that the public is ignorant and equally stupid.

Lee Benedict
Lee Benedict 10/14/12 - 08:59 am
Well said bill cass

"Would President Obama have suddenly developed a black dialect when he claimed the U.S. government did not care that people in New Orleans died if he were white? This list of virulent, vitriolic racist comments by the left is endless."

Since Obama brings up Katrina, let us do so as well:
1) Mayor of New Orleans and Louisiana's governor; Democrats, and, if memory serves me, wasn't the Mayor black?
2) If I am mayor of a city within two feet of sea level, and if my city were in hurricaneland, and if my city had a levy of questionable structure and reliability and had such for years, I would get it fixed.
3) If my city two feet from sea level were expecting a hurricane, I would get people OUT. However, Mayor Nagin refused to evacuate, and in fact, 30+ buses were found that were NOT used for evacuations.
4) The governor refused to step in and evacuate. Instead, after the disaster, she stood behind a podium and cried like Nancy Kerrigan.
5) They blamed George Bush for their failure and dereliction of duty. No POTUS can just swoop on in after a disaster and give aid. You see, the governors of Alabama and Mississippi followed proper procedure and asked for federal assistance, and in so doing, received aid long before Louisiana.

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 10/14/12 - 09:02 am
From a teacher!? Yikes!

Here is yet another reason to vote FOR the Charter School Amendment.

Good grief!

bill cass
bill cass 10/14/12 - 09:25 am
Sad

More than anger, I am saddened by Mr. Maner's views. I am not black, so I cannot for a minute claim to understand how he feels. But he is clearly blinded by race and, unfortunately, has likely spent 31 years indoctrinating (either intentionally or not) young students with his views. Mr. Maner claims that blacks are still "second class citizens." Really? Tell that to Oprah, Shaq or any of the other African-Americans who have reached the top of their profession in our country. Hard work, willingness to take a risk, and God-given talent are still the keys to success in our country. Blaming others for your failures (such as our President and Mr. Maner do) only stand to instill in young minorities that the deck is stacked, so you have no chance of succeeding. This is more dangerous and harmful than any of the sleights Mr. Maner complains of.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/14/12 - 09:27 am
Really?

"If re-elected, I’m convinced he would step up his game." What's he waiting on Mr Manor?

Lee Benedict
Lee Benedict 10/14/12 - 09:33 am
And let's not forget Dr. Ben

And let's not forget Dr. Ben Carson and the ARC (Academy of Richmond County) graduate and 2012 ARC Hall of Fame inductee who now chairs the Physics Department (I think) at Baylor University...and the list goes on.

omnomnom
omnomnom 10/14/12 - 09:51 am
As a life long resident of

As a life long resident of Augusta, I see first hand that racism (in our area and byond) is alive and well.

I grew up in a household where pejoratives for blacks were said on a nearly daily basis.

Any perceived slight on my parents part, be it being cut off in traffic or having to wait longer in the grocery line was blamed on the race of the individual involved.

Instead of being called "ignorant" or "inefficient" they launch into verbal diatribes immediately latching on to the color of the person's skin.

This issue is not limited to my parents generation. People my own age express these sentiment as well.

And this issue is not limited to any particular race.

Please do not take this comment as an endorsement of Barack Obama or his policies. He has been the perfect authoritarian compliment to the authoritarian Bush regime.

I did not vote for him in 2008. I will not vote for him (or Romney) this go-round.

wgcopeland
wgcopeland 10/14/12 - 10:19 am
To the guest editor..

Well Mr. Maner,I think the majority of the posted comments just confirmed your article sir,.....unbelievable!!!...

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/14/12 - 10:22 am
Pot calling the kettle black

Mr. Maner demeans the president when he reduces the president to nothing more than a skin color.

Contrary to what Mr. Maner says, the president is much more than the color of his skin. He is a socialist, an extremist, a greenie, a hardcore politician, a baby killer, and, oh by the way, a liar too.

It is for these reasons that people who oppose him (not hate him).

Mr. Maner, when you accuse someone who opposes the president's views of being racist, you are the racist because you only see the president's skin color and nothing more.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/14/12 - 10:30 am
Who is a racist

I think we saw who the real racist were earlier this week when a young black actress had the unmitigated gall to suggest that President Obama was not the best choice this time.

scoobynews
scoobynews 10/14/12 - 06:19 pm
It is very scary!

Very scary indeed to know this racist was sitting in a classroom for 31 years! I just hope he was not teaching any history classes. I am so sick of people of color backing Obama because he is black. Please get educated people and vote for someone other than the color of their skin! I really wish we had TWO black candidates running for president this year then imagine the mass confusion at the polls!!

ralphinga
ralphinga 10/14/12 - 10:32 am
Negative Publicity

Who is the writer trying to convince that the President has earned their vote? Where are the facts in support of this President? This is a horrible, negative sales pitch. It is as ridiculous as stating that if you don't buy Oreo cookies, it's only because you don't like their color, and has nothing to do with their content, their taste or their price. If I am Black, you are telling me I must buy Oreo cookies! Really! Why aren't you going to tell me why I must? What.....it's because of their color? Surely you jest.

wgcopeland
wgcopeland 10/14/12 - 10:49 am
To justthefacts; who was that young actress????

Being a celebrity doesn't make one correct,...nor should they be considered influential unless he or she often prove otherwise.....

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/14/12 - 10:52 am
Preception, Preception

In the day, we had high school graduates teaching at Paine College. We had students who had completed elementary school teaching. The prevailing culture at that time did not care. We had teacher certification being accomplished in adjacent states to obtain and maintain licenses. No body cared because they were not teaching their children.

Surprise, now they are teaching your children. They have a totally different perception of education. Education for educations sake. You have to go to school for twelve years. Achieving the ability "to learn", not memorize, and process information in a logical and useful manner is not part of the plan. Success as a productive adult can be, but required, as a end result.

Yes and we have our glorious federal education system to thank for this failure to launch into productive adulthood. The launch is usually just into the hood part.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/14/12 - 11:14 am
WG, please remember your

WG, please remember your words the next time a Hollywood leftist like Bill Mahr spews his vitriol.

ETA: Joy Behar and The View crowd, Oprah (she isn't vitriolic, just liberal), Jon Stewart, Ed Schultz, ad nauseum.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/14/12 - 11:10 am
I just find Mr. Maner's

I just find Mr. Maner's hypocrisy amusing; as I recall many LTE's from him during the Bush years, trashing Bush and Republicans. He has a lot of experience expressing what is his definition of hatred.

bill cass
bill cass 10/14/12 - 11:17 am
The Bush years

Mr. Maner, did you denounce every move from the Bush administration because he is white, or because you disagreed with his policies? Not knowing you, I would presume the former. You should give those of us who oppose the president's policies the same presumption.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 10/14/12 - 11:30 am
Here you go again....

Don't you sycophantic Obama supporters see how foolish arguments such as espoused in this LTE make you seem?..

I guess using your rationale you guys hated Bush because he was white?

Kinda makes you wonder who the REAL racists are hmmm?

I have no problem with black people being proud of having a man who looks like them as President. But my advice would be to you, stop viewing every disagreement with this President and life in particular through the prism of race and your arguments might carry a bit more weight.

My guess is that those who voted for this failure of a so-called "leader" just can't admit they made an incredible mistake in 2008, so it MUST be the "racist's" fault...

"Man up" and admit you all screwed up and let's move on already....

wgcopeland
wgcopeland 10/14/12 - 11:34 am
day1;about Hollywood and the media

The afore mentioned liberals you pointed-out,are very seldom 100% correct!!!!!....but we can agree to disagree agreeably,...LOL..agreed??

msteal
msteal 10/14/12 - 11:46 am
Why are you wasting your time?

Mr Maner, as an African American and President Obama supporter, I agree with your viewpoints. However, I wouldn't bother wasting my time sharing my viewpoints with Augusta Chronicle viewers. They will never understand or support our plights or our choice of presidents. All 26 comments I just read spew negativity and disrespect towards you, our president, and the African American community. Instead of arguing or defending my choice with these folks, I'd rather let my voice be heard on election day when I can really make a difference.

Darby
Darby 10/14/12 - 12:01 pm
Pathetic hate filled appeal to bigotry....

This guy poured his poisonous bias into the minds of our children for 31 years. Does anyone wonder just how our education system went off the tracks? Following Vietnam, these people infiltrated and now permeate our educational system from pre-school to the post graduate level.

One really doesn't know whether to laugh or cry at ridiculous lines like "Mr. Obama’s stellar performance as president" or "brilliant American leader".

The writer failed to note that Obama was elected by white people including a significant number of misguided Republicans. Many of those same people are beginning to realize the sheer magnitude of their error as well as the potentially disastrous consequences of compounding that error on November 6.

Was it a form of racism (affirmative action) when they voted for a man with no record of accomplishment and no proven leadership skills in 2008, or racism now, when so many are becoming cognizant of their mistake?

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 10/14/12 - 11:54 am
I'm trying to say...

....that after all this country is facing and all we must do to get back on track, to blame the failures of the current administration on racism is being intellectually dishonest....

Mr. Maner's letters are generally well-presented and well-thought out. Even though I disagree with him on most points, but to see a "Klansman" behind every tree and further to say it's only because Obama is black that I won't vote for him?.....

Puleehz!!

If Those on the "other side" of the aisle spent as much time trying to solve problems as they did looking for perceived insults and "racism" at every turn, we might get something accomplished eventually....

bill cass
bill cass 10/14/12 - 12:01 pm
msteal:

You are absolutely correct. As a white male, I will never understand the plight of blacks in this nation. My ancestors were never slaves, never had hoses sprayed on them, and never had to use a different bathroom than whites. Of course, my ancestors never did any of these things to blacks either. But where you are missing the point is when you assume, like Mr. Maner, that our disagreements with him or the president are rooted in their skin color, and not in the wrong headed nature of their policies.