Why voters must see "2016: Obama's America"

My wife, Angie, and I saw 2016: Obama’s America recently while in the Denver area. I hope that every citizen will take the time and be open-minded enough to see it, too. The movie producer is Gerald Molen, the producer of the Academy Award-winning Schindler’s List. The author and co-director is Dinesh D’Souza, an intellectual; a distinguished author and journalist; a conservative; and an honest man in every respect.

I have spent a lifetime in service to our country. I have known many who died in service to our country, and I almost lost my life, too. Spending more than six years as a prisoner of war gave me time to think about our country, with all of its blessings, and, yes, its flaws – and my responsibilities.

IN MY LIFETIME, we truly have been remarkable and exceptional. We have been a force for good throughout the world. We have led the way and helped remove dictators and tyrants, and we have sacrificed so much national blood and treasure in those causes. We have given millions the opportunities of freedom and independence. We, unlike any other nation, have come to the aid of those suffering in natural disasters.

I am proud of our country, the goodness of our history and our continuing efforts to correct our flaws.

President Obama is the antithesis of the America I have known – the America for which I have willingly accepted personal sacrifice; extreme challenges and hardships; and lost many friends doing the same thing.

Obama’s re-election obviously would mean a majority of the voters in this country have chosen to give away the freedom and opportunity for which countless thousands have sacrificed and paid the ultimate price. If he is re-elected, the blood of our demise as a vibrant, exceptional and generous nation will be on our hands, and the ghosts of those who sacrificed so much for us will be stirred.

Those who allow this by their own lethargy and those who vote for Obama will have chosen to steer our country toward darkness, unlike anything anyone living today has ever experienced.

It is time to grow up and vote for the founding principles of our country and to vote with intelligence, not emotion. Obama’s America will not be able to do the great things of the past that made us exceptional – the greatest force in history for freedom, economic growth, innovation and generosity. Obama’s vision of America is based on economic and social policies and philosophy that never have worked, but have been tried repeatedly in modern history and failed.

HIS RE-ELECTION would be a disaster for us all, especially for our children and grandchildren. His re-election would be an insult, a crime and a tragedy to all of us – and those consequences, and the mentality behind them, have been in the spotlight recently at the Democratic National Convention, where lies and absurdities prevailed. I hope you took the time to watch the spectacle.

I think of our granddaughters, triplets, now almost 3 years old. I consider a vote for Obama an extremely abusive act toward those little girls, one that I will not take lightly. We Americans have always passed along a country that is better, more prosperous, more noble and more generous; economically and militarily stronger; a country more moral and rational; and a country more willing to lead and sacrifice for freedom, and the freedom others deserve, than we inherited.

Voting for Obama is a vote to abandon our history, our heritage, our character, our obligations and our future. I am reminded of our Founding Fathers, of the sacrifices of so many which made my America possible, and how such a vote would do great harm to those adorable little granddaughters and my country. My tolerance for Obama supporters will cease.

I recently received some thoughts from a dear and courageous old friend from our difficult days in Hanoi, who, like me, was watching the Democratic National Convention. I agree with him totally and wanted to share his heartfelt thoughts:

“If those folks really do represent half or more of the electorate, then this certainly is not the America I grew up in – as a poor kid, with an opportunity to better myself, through my own intelligence and hard work. It is a socialist/communist country that will rapidly kill the goose that lays the golden eggs, to
soon thereafter become perhaps the largest poverty-stricken, Third World country on the planet!

“IF THAT IS MY future, then I resent it and I’m offended by it (for all the good that will do ...). Anyone who is eligible to vote and doesn’t do so in November will absolutely deserve the government their inaction secures for us all! For my part, however, having lived in a communist prison for nearly six-and-one-half years, I will resist, in every way possible, with all means at my disposal, until my dying breath!”

To that, I say amen, and God bless you!

This election is too important. Those who would vote for Obama want the government to run our lives; they wish for the producers in our country to support the takers and looters who contribute little to nothing; they revel in envy and class warfare (something that is foreign to me). If you watched the convention speakers, you have seen them denigrating the country I love; the religion I grew up with; the hard work, the traditions and history I treasure; the independence and freedom that have been America; and the honor of those who sacrificed so much for us.

This is a destructive crowd that is seemingly – and maybe emotionally and immaturely – hell-bent on destroying the country I love. I have had it.

PLEASE SEE THE movie 2016. Share this with friends, family and loved ones. Those among you who disagree with me, take a chance on enlightenment and see the movie. If you have not read Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged, you should. Written in 1957, she describes an America where the “takers” (those expecting the producers and government to give them everything, to share the profits of their endeavors) demand more and more and the bureaucrats and politicians comply – and America descends into darkness.

I heard interviews with Democratic delegates Wednesday night of the DNC saying profit should be outlawed. You will be amazed at how accurately Atlas Shrugged reflects where we are heading tomorrow if Obama is re-elected. We must defeat Obama, and, I say again, my tolerance for his supporters has ceased to exist, as likely will a few friendships. But, that is OK.

Wake up, America. It is almost too late.

(The writer – a retired U.S. Marine Corps lieutenant colonel – is a member of the board of directors of Citizens Against Government Waste, and has been active in veterans affairs, conservative politics and public service for more than 30 years. He has served as assistant secretary of commerce in the Reagan administration; as Georgia state director of the Farmers Home Administration; and as a commissioner of the Federal Trade Commission from December 1997 to June 2005. He lives in Alexandria, Va. His email address is orsonIII@comcast.net.)

swcohen
swcohen 09/16/12 - 03:08 am
It's a good thing that George

It's a good thing that George W. Bush never saw "The Wizard of Oz." He'd have been much more wary of Dick Cheney. "Obama 2016" is no mere screed... Dinesh D'Souza's hour & a half long rant is a nonsensically unsubstantiated act of character assassination. Oh, and "The Manchurian Candidate" was NOT a documentary, okay?

chascushman
chascushman 09/16/12 - 06:24 am
Great LTE thank you for

Great column thank you for writing it

Techfan
Techfan 09/16/12 - 06:27 am
Swindle synonyms:defraud,gyp hornswagggle,scam,bunco

Abany Herald 2010: A federal court judge has ordered that a prominent Camilla pharmacist spend the next two and half years in federal prison and pay back roughly $2.8 million in funds he was convicted of taking from Medicaid.

CHARACTER WITNESS: Orson Swindle, who told Sands that sentencing Morgan to prison would be a death sentence because of the cancer that he has developed since he was charged.

#"Be careful not to make a mistake a crime," Swindle told Sands. "Good people make mistakes, but mistakes aren't crimes. This was just an awful mistake ... This man is not a felon. He made a mistake, a costly mistake, but he's not a felon."

#

AprilLowry
AprilLowry 09/16/12 - 06:39 am
re: "2016"

Interesting that the first three comments were written by folks that don't 'get it'. I haven't seen the movie yet, but plan to. I don't have to see the movie to appreciate the wisdom and information in this column written by Orsen Swindlle III. I pray we all wake up before it's too late.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/16/12 - 07:51 am
Please explain how someone

Please explain how someone pleading with the courts to have mercy on and spare a death sentence for his good friend, could mean his assessment of Obama's re-election is not accurrate? I fail to see how one has anything to do with the other.

Mr. Swindle, I would personally like to thank you for your service to defend and protect our country.

frontporch
frontporch 09/16/12 - 08:02 am
Concerned about Retired Army

RETIRED ARMY....I'm concerned about you. The fact that you were pointing at a handicap parking spot without checking to see if she had a handicap card for handicap parking.....but instead you got all excited over a bumper sticker, is a concern. You should call a doctor and have that checked out!?!?!

crkgrdn
crkgrdn 09/16/12 - 08:26 am
Yeats was perceptive

After World War I, the Irish poet William Butler Yeats wrote his poem, "The Second Coming." The last few lines are: "...twenty centuries of stony sleep, Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?"
The people of the United States have before them a choice that will imperil them and those who succeed them or a choice that will preserve the free will given us by Nature's God. We are where Germans were in 1933. The choice we make on November 6 will be a choice that we will richly deserve.

There is nothing in the stars that says that this great nation will survive. Our way of life, with freedom no people in history have ever enjoyed, will continue or fall to the claws of the slouching creature.

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 09/16/12 - 08:34 am
God love you and bless you!!

Thanks you Mr. Swindle for your courageous account of how you too understand what horror the Obama administration will bring to this country. I hope everyone in the military feels like you do and votes against Obama in November.

Jane18
Jane18 09/16/12 - 09:15 am
America, going, going,........................NO!!

Tell us, just what did you guys(first three commenters and other Obama believers) think when you heard Obama say these words, "Fundamentally transform America"? Except for some years when we had people like Jimmy Carter* in the White House, I believe America has done very well, fundamentally. I, personally, have never trusted or believed him(Obama) about anything concerning the betterment of America...... I guess it's because he has been to all 57 States of Islam, and for 20 years he also listened to the rantings of Jeremiah Wright, he's never had a real job(I don't count when he worked in the ice cream shoppe), and he was not a very good senator!! *If I'm mistaken, someone let me know, but wasn't Jimmy Carter the first president to borrow money which has lead us to this 16 trillion dollar debt we have now?

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/16/12 - 09:44 am
Lost compass??

America has lost its moral compass in the "swamp of self absorption". Entitlement Religion feeds on self and greed. All apply, rich and poor, saint and sinner, white or non-white.

Politically Correct embracing ( not tolerance ) of all cultures and political persuasions has left us in Rome.

America has sown to wind and now reaps the world wind. You cannot play with fire and not expect to be burned. God help us!!!!

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 09/16/12 - 09:54 am
Presidents are placed in the

Presidents are placed in the White House, not voted for i.e. Bush v. Gore.

All presidents after JFK have SOULED out...

What was so important about JFK, i wonder.......?

CabisKhan
CabisKhan 09/16/12 - 10:01 am
How to vote

A vote for the incumbent would truly be an egregious error. This ferret is writing in the name Ron Paul on the ballot. One should not vote contrary to their sensibilities. It is time for a true conservative rather than a social conservative to mend this government. Contentious, yet benign, social behaviors should be under the purview of family, church, and community, rather than the government..

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 09/16/12 - 10:24 am
As a conservative..

...I should see the movie,but it will tell me nothing I need to make up my mind.. My mind was made up on election day 2008.And I have not seen anything in the intervening four years to prove me wrong in believing this man is hell-bent on the destruction of this country in order to "fundamentally transform" it into his idea of what this country should be. As taught to him by his socialist mother ,his communist mentor Frank Marshall Davis, his communist father, and his race baiting preacher, Reverend Wright.....You lefties may want to call this "hate speech",.. tough...To me, and millions of others who will vote to defeat this horrid president in November...it's free speech, and until you guys manage to outlaw any opinion that YOU disagree with, as we know you want so desperately to do, we'll keep calling 'em as we see 'em...This guy has to go .....Lest we end up with the third term of Jimmy Carter....

allhans
allhans 09/16/12 - 10:37 am
I heard this just this

I heard this just this morning
"Two old maids were talking. "Old maid two" asks "old maid one"
how her date went last night. "one" Awful, I had to slap him five times" . "Two" Oh my, was he that fresh?. "One", no I was trying to see if he was still alive".
Not only is the economy so bad that Bernanke has placed himself in an untenable position trying to save Obama but now the credit rating for the country is rumored to be lowered again.
Never before have we seen such an inept leadership.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/16/12 - 10:43 am
Country Needs a Turn-around

Who is the business turn-around artist when we sorely need one?

Tullie
Tullie 09/17/12 - 06:22 am
Retired Army

I deleted my joke about Obama since Retired Army's joke about Romney is no longer posted.

No fun now..since his is gone.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/16/12 - 11:34 am
America is

the same old france, cowards.

swcohen
swcohen 09/16/12 - 01:15 pm
There's no point in my trying

There's no point in my trying to counter any of these wacko claims, but your irrational hysteria is hugely entertaining.

I do have two questions:

1) How exactly is Obama deliberately and systematically destroying the United States? All I see is an inept administration trying... and failing... to clean up the huge mess it inherited, with absolutely no help from the Loyal Opposition. (If anything, they've deliberately and systematically worked to insure his failure.)

And

2) Did you all enjoy your naps? You were obviously asleep from 2001 through the end of 2008. Perhaps you didn't notice The Decider's trillion dollar dalliance in Iraq, or his See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil approach to financial regulation.

Honestly, history did not begin on 20 January 2009. Has Obama been up to the challenge of cleaning up the mess? Nope. Not even close. A Carteresque flaccid attempt. But he did not build that. Somebody else built it.

One more thing, then I have work to get to... If Mitt Romney wins in November, I and a few million folks like me will make absolutely certain that he receives the same level of respect and cooperation that you've shown our guy. That's a promise.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/16/12 - 01:21 pm
It is the standard "kill the messenger".

"Please explain how someone pleading with the courts to have mercy on and spare a death sentence for his good friend, could mean his assessment of Obama's re-election is not accurrate? "

They can't argue the merits, so they try to shoot the messenger.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 09/16/12 - 01:34 pm
Not for Romney...

Sorry, I won't be lining the pockets of Dinesh D'Soouza, ever. Even Bill Maher, the atheist, called him out to be a "rat" for not stepping forward when Maher took the heat on his show that was canceled immediately post 9/11__but that's another story for another time.

Many conservatives remind me of the mindless behavior of those fanatics who are rioting around the world and threatening our diplomats. They see a conspiracy everywhere and are just scared to death. The only difference is conservatives haven't killed anyone.....yet.

Romney is willing to lie about anything; even when confronted with the truth he continues to lie. And you want me to vote for a man like that?!!! He is shrouded in secrecy...tax returns__trust him he pays his fair share; which loop holes he will close___he will tell the people when (if) he gets elected. I find it interesting that you are not worried about this country looking like a third world nation that denies its people the right to free elections, yet Republicans are doing all they can to deny people the opportunity vote.

The "money man" Cramer complained that his father who is a veteran did not have a driver's license in Pennsylvania, and would not be able to vote in Nov. Suddenly he was provided one. But what about those not so well-connected?

Mitt Romney has no conviction; Grover Norquist has already said all the next Republican president needs are 10 digits to sign what he is told to sign. Translation: A Manchurian president!

KSL
KSL 09/16/12 - 01:40 pm
Others most have been napping

Others most have been napping when Bush's people tried to get regulations changed. They could not get it to a vote to get out if committee. Guess who had the majoriy, the chair of the committees. Democrats.

There is plenty of blame on all sides.

As for the attitude toward Obama, I don't see any difference in the treatment Bush got.

KSL
KSL 09/16/12 - 01:50 pm
I don't know whether Romney

I don't know whether Romney has ever lied. There is written proof that Obama has lied (and audio). Things he said in his books he has had to recant, saying his father fought in WW2. Wait, that has been explained away as a miss speak.

specsta
specsta 09/16/12 - 09:42 pm
Romney? Man, Please!!!

To listen to the right-wingers talk about Obama, it seems as if our President has grown horns, wields a pitchfork and reeks of sulfur.

Conservatives have done everything in their power to undermine the President, with their sole goal being to make sure Obama is a one-term President - regardless of how their hatred toward him affects the business of the people.

President Obama is the only sane choice. Romney is a nightmare who will destroy our international relations with other countries (he's already started down that road), destroy health choices for women, destroy safety nets for the poor and will destroy the separation of church and state.

cheapster505
cheapster505 09/16/12 - 02:53 pm
who s to blame?

republicans yelled for fouryears about cuts cuts tax breaks for 12 years and the economy is stagnant more cuts for a debt increase to blame
on everyone else promote small biz the ones who offer health dental vision and a pension ? Big corps that manufacture overseas than over price here while paying CEO millions for their Genius than wonder where are the jobs ? and denounce the CUTS the WH recentlly announced BY LAW of the Republican House everything MUST be cut except that Big waste DOD Planes that don't fly tanks that can't shoot
every Country /Civilization found with a strong military and no economy would falter Fighting and dying overseas while our freedoms are witled away does no good for any Military man what 57,000 died in VN for ? Irag? Afganistan? they will all have to do on their own and we won't like it fighting in far away lands while riots in the home land does WHAT to the military mind? After all the sacifices made in VN they still went Communist in Irag still Muslim afganistan still Taliban
while we trade with VN promise Irag and afganistan trade agreements that take our jobs product away in the name of FREEDOM? wrong in the name of PROFIT your sacifices are worthless unless someone can make a profit does nothing for MY/OUR freedoms so vote republican if you must but remember MR "R" promised 12 million new jobs wonder which one you will be assigned to? socialism at it's best !

Retired Army
Retired Army 09/16/12 - 03:09 pm
Allhans 11:37

"I get that feeling when I hear from Liberals, I wonder if they have any awareness at all of what is happening to our country."

That "feeling" being the one of an Old Maid slapping you to see if you are alive?

allhans
allhans 09/16/12 - 03:19 pm
RA..Yeah..something like

RA..Yeah..something like that.
----------------------------------------------
Regarding Obama. No one seem to find it strange that Obama was missing in action for 15 hours after the killing of Americans in Libya.
They jumped right on Romney for mentioning a memo by the State Dept.posted on their website, but nothing was said about their adored one not having the courtesy to speak up for "his" people even with the fires still burning. He showed up for his appearance in Vegas and Colorado Wednesday, though...right on time.

carlasue1
carlasue1 09/16/12 - 04:37 pm
Hate talk.

I can not believe the words in this article. The hate and venium is overwhelming. I also can't believe the Augusta Chronicle allowed this one sided and totally unproven article to be published. I know we have freedom of speech but with that freedom comes responsibility for what we say. The movie he speaks of is a totally biased movie written by angry conservatives who wish that PRESIDENT Obama did not exist. It the author of this trash served as he said he did he would understand the issues this President has to face with the military. My advice is stop watching the hate mongers and live the values that true God loving people live. STOP HATE TALK.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/16/12 - 04:51 pm
lefties, lefties,

lefties, get a grip. Kindergarden is over. Time to grow up.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 09/16/12 - 04:59 pm
From the "left"....

...or more succinctly, grouse's 11:36.. "It's all Bush's fault"....I mean ...just DANG!! Is that all you have ? After 4 years of this mess....is that ALL you have?......You lefties can blame GW all you want. And as an intellectually honest conservative I'll admit that he was not the best President ever, but can you guys REALLY stand by your assertion that THIS guy (Obama) is the best that we can do right now?
All we, (MOST of the country)is asking is for you to admit that this guy is a disaster and that the direction we are heading fiscally, and internationally AIN'T WORKING!!!! And if it isn't working we MUST find a different solution....Come On People!!! It's not that hard to admit you (Obama voters) screwed up in 2008 so now let's fix it!..And more of the same isn't the way to fix it....Sheesh....

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 09/16/12 - 05:10 pm
I can't believe he didn't

I can't believe he didn't throw in that Obama is gay. Mr. Orson Swindle III, greatest fear for his granddaughters is that President Obama will be elected to another term. My greatest fear for my granddaughters is that they get hooked up with someone who reasons like he does. And to think, there were three of them.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen