Work with president to move nation forward

The Augusta Chronicle’s editorial “Will America endure?” (Oct. 2) is an appropriate question that many are asking. We differ from The Chronicle on why this question has come about.

The 9/11 attack gave America a chance to show the world how great we can be. What have we accomplished 10 years later?

I wish I could say that we brought peace around the world; I cannot. I wish I could say that our military is not engaged in fruitless wars; I cannot. I wish I could say that children 10 years old and younger know what dividends peace can bring to our country; I cannot. Credit must be given to both the Bush and Obama administrations that have protected us from further attacks.

IT IS PART OF our history that we fight back and win. It is not part of our history that torture becomes a needed tool to claim victory. It also is not part of our history that we invade countries with excuses of having weapons of mass destruction that were never there. It is not part of our history that we send our secretary of state to the United Nations to lie.

I wish I could say that people and not the corporate world are involved in controlling Congress; I cannot. I wish I could say that 14 million jobs are being created in this country rather than overseas in China and India; I cannot. I wish I could say that the Congress is working for the good of the country instead of damaging the social infrastructure by their call to end Social Security and Medicare; I cannot. I wish I could say that the middle class is growing and that financial gain is helping all groups instead of just the wealthiest ones; like the recent protesters, I cannot.

I wish I can say that 50 million children have been getting the best education possible; I cannot. Many state legislatures, and particularly Georgia’s, have picked on education to balance the state budget. Million of dollars have been taken away from our county school systems, and HOPE scholarships have been drastically reduced.

In the past, the pressures of “No Child Left Behind” have caused shameful behavior by some teachers. Under these conditions, how can our children compete if they lag behind in science and math when compared with children in other countries?

Our Republican-controlled state legislature has passed immigration bills that make us one of the most repressive U.S. states. We now chase from our farms the immigrants who pick the crops necessary for food. The result is rotting fruits and vegetables ,which is detrimental to keeping food prices down and our income up. How useful is that?

LIKE THE CHRONICLE, I am concerned about the future of this country – a concern that will only diminish if the voting public becomes educated on what changes are needed to our Congress and Georgia legislature. For example, Republican populist candidates for president may be good fodder for cable and celebrity news, but will be a disaster for this country. We must think before we vote or we will regress.

(The writer is chairman of the Richmond County Democratic Party.)

copperhead
copperhead 10/09/11 - 07:21 am
We need to stop ALL oil

We need to stop ALL oil production and hand over MORE guns(per holder) to the mexican drug dealers. THESE things will solve all our ills! These two(hussein and eric) should be blindly followed-they are the most honest and ethical people on earth. Worship them or ELSE!

Bizkit
Bizkit 10/09/11 - 07:45 am
"It also is not part of our

"It also is not part of our history that we invade countries with excuses of having weapons of mass destruction that were never there. " He is right poor Clinton was fooled by the evil Saddam and so he acted by passing a presidential order which then Congress made law to remove Saddam from power. Poor Bush was obviously duped to follow the Clinton Doctrine. Why do they keep beating this lame horse. Obama promised change but we get more of the same. Obama endorsed further Patriot Act abilities to spy on Americans. Obama ordered the assassination of an American citizen without due process-who is next the GOP presidential candidates. He is cohoots with both big business and the unions playing both sides against the other. He has declared class warfare and continues with this winning strategy. Even though the Communist Party of America and the Democratic Socialist Party endorse Obama and his similar goals for social reformes-he is not a socialist and you must be ignorant if you say so. He was going to save the economy and keep unemployment below 8%-but wait it is not his fault even though for the last two years of Bush's regime and all but the last part of this year both houses have been under Dem control-but wait it is those pesky Repubs who have obstructed the messiahs vision of the perfect world. Time to change quarterbacks.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/09/11 - 09:22 am
Copperhead: “…(per

Copperhead: “…(per holder)…These two(hussein and eric) should…”

That’s so weird but I’ve seen it on these AC boards before. Standard prose would be to refer to people by their last name or their first name or middle name it they go by that or a nickname if the go by that. Here the rules of good prose writing seem to fluctuate and (as shown above) even within the same paragraph. I have never heard Eric Himpton Holder refer to himself as Himpton, nor have I ever heard Barack Hussein Obama refer to himself as Hussein; so why is it written that way here? Strange writing style.

harley_52
harley_52 10/09/11 - 09:30 am
Have you ever heard G.W. Bush

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/09/11 - 09:40 am
harley_52: “Have you ever

harley_52: “Have you ever heard G.W. Bush refer to himself as "shrub?" Or Dick Cheney refer to himself as "penis" Cheney? I doubt you'll agree, bj, but I considered that a "strange writing style" a few years back.”

I do agree. Never heard that one for Cheney before; that and “shrub” sound like bad writing style to me. Bush and Cheney should be referred to by last name or George and Dick and I can see Dub’ya since that was a self-identified nickname.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/09/11 - 09:40 am
So harley - are you saying

So harley - are you saying that two wrongs make a right? That just because some ugly, ill mannered people disrespected the former president that it's OK to make racial innuendoes and use terms of disrespect for the current president? It's not. Those people were in the wrong then, and the people who do is now and disrespect the office of the presidency are wrong now.

Jane18
Jane18 10/09/11 - 10:13 am
No one disrespects the office

No one disrespects the office of the president! The reason for disrespect and/or distrust comes from the words and actions of the president at the time. I did not like Obama from the beginning of his campaign(had read and heard of him as a senator), but I did hope he would be a good president when he was elected. If anyone thinks we wanted him to fail, you are wrong. Some of us felt he would fail(in our thinking). Clearly, he was not and is not a leader.

Vito45
Vito45 10/09/11 - 10:21 am
Cassandra, you are correct

Cassandra, you are correct about the personal attacks on Obama. I didn't like it when the left did it to Bush, and I don't like it now. Criticism about how he is doing the job is fair game, but leave the personal stuff out.

harley_52
harley_52 10/09/11 - 10:31 am
***So harley - are you saying

***So harley - are you saying that two wrongs make a right?***

Absolutely not.

My point is one of hypocrisy.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/09/11 - 10:37 am
harley_52: “My point is one

harley_52: “My point is one of hypocrisy.”

That's what I thought you meant too.

harley_52
harley_52 10/09/11 - 11:06 am
It's not difficult to

It's not difficult to understand, is it? Your President gets unmercifully, wrongly, and disrespectfully ripped when he's in office. So when the other side gets in office you feel compelled to offer a little payback. You're left a little amused that it's met with so much righteous indignation from the same side that was doing it just a few years earlier.
Politics is full of these situations. The democrat party Senate and House leaders have all but ignored Republican Congressmen as they shoved their legislation through without debate or amendment. Now, even invoking the "nuclear option" to freeze Republicans out of the process.

Surely you remember how the democrats shoved "obamacare" through.

As someone else said earlier....what goes around comes around.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/09/11 - 11:15 am
About the LTE: “Work with

About the LTE: “Work with president to move nation forward”

The letter does not seem to make an argument for its title. It’s the standard litany of Democratic charges toward the last administration and current Republican legislators. I’m in general agreement with the charges but you don’t catch flies with vinegar. Perhaps a more accurate title would be:

“Republicans are Jerks, Now Can’t We All Just Get Along”

A title like that is sure to charm the opposition.

:-)

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/09/11 - 11:18 am
harley - good to see you are

harley - good to see you are owning up to your belief that two wrongs do make a right, and that vengeance for the actions of the few against people who had nothing to do with those actions is right.

However, I was taught differently and still hold to higher standards. I was not a fan of Pres. Bush or VP Cheney (to put it mildly) but would never have disrespected their office by referring to either of them by racist or other disrespectful names. When I discussed what I didn't like, I addressed their decisions. Glad you have informed us as to what mindset we are dealing with when you are part of the discussion.

harley_52
harley_52 10/09/11 - 11:39 am
My goodness, you are

My goodness, you are combative, Cassandra. I'm not sure why. Nor am I sure what gives you license to put words in my mouth, particularly when I have already stated my case.

You asked, and I answered, your question about two wrongs making a right. They don't. I told you that already. Yet you find it appropriate to characterize me as believing they do. Implicit is that I'm a liar. I don't appreciate the mischaracterization.

Where I come from, "understanding" is not the same as "supporting." If I say I understand why muslims saw off the heads of christians, I'm not saying I approve of it, or that I support it.

You say you're "glad you have informed us as to what mindset we are dealing with when you are part of the discussion." So that makes two of us. Usually when I offer an opinion I'm happy when it's clearly understood in the context in which it was presented. If you're incapable of reading or understanding what I've said to the point that you feel compelled to misstate it, or re-word it, we'll have a problem communicating.

If you don't understand something I say, the preferred method of getting a clarification would normally be to ask.

I

harley_52
harley_52 10/09/11 - 11:43 am
***“Republicans are Jerks,

***“Republicans are Jerks, Now Can’t We All Just Get Along”

A title like that is sure to charm the opposition.***

Darby
Darby 10/09/11 - 11:48 am
"I was taught differently and

"I was taught differently and still hold to higher standards. I was not a fan of Pres. Bush or VP Cheney (to put it mildly) but would never have disrespected their office by referring to either of them by racist or other disrespectful names."

And yet during those entire eight years, you never felt compelled to criticize those who did. Why the sudden change? Did the threat to your "higher standards" seem less important then? Will you now speak out when those you oppose politically are gratuitously attacked? I'm inclined to doubt it....

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/09/11 - 12:03 pm
Cassandra, didn't harley just

Cassandra, didn't harley just ask you to do the same thing for him that you demanded of me earlier in the week? Just. Saying.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/09/11 - 12:16 pm
harley_52: “BJ, you did

harley_52: “BJ, you did notice the parenthetical note in bold letters at the bottom of his LTE, didn't you?”

I saw that, which probably means the LTE is more directed to cementing support with his constituency than it is to finding common ground with conservatives.

Hyper-partisans are hyperbolic. I like parabolas, they focus point sources perfectly.

In closing, I’d like to point out Republicans are the Evil Spawn of Satan and it’s important we achieve common ground with these ghoulish forces of capitalism.

Can’t We Just All Get Along?

:-)

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/09/11 - 12:24 pm
That’s my rolling joke for

That’s my rolling joke for the day: “can’t we reach common ground with these wife beating evil-doers and stop calling each other names”?

allhans
allhans 10/09/11 - 12:31 pm
Reading letters from

Reading letters from Greenbaum makes me realize the importance of the Nov 2012 election, and how critical it will be that we vote in a new president.

"We are going forward". If what we are seeing is forward motion then we had better hurry and find reverse.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/09/11 - 12:55 pm
Darby - and what psychic

Darby - and what psychic powers do you possess that tell you that I did not speak out to those who used the ugly, personal references pertaining to our former presidents when they did, because I did. If your psychic powers work for the future, don't play the numbers on them, because they don't work so well.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/09/11 - 01:03 pm
Willow - the conversation you

Willow - the conversation you describe that supposedly took place between harley and I did not take place. Sorry. The only part that did take place was harley again pulling out the old, tired "combative" he likes to use when someone disagrees with him or challenges him. I read his response to my question, my reading skills are very high. He answered just as I read it.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 10/09/11 - 01:15 pm
That Dr. Greenbaum is always

That Dr. Greenbaum is always good for a laugh and today he didn't disappoint. Thanks Doc!!

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 10/09/11 - 01:33 pm
Also, the title of this

Also, the title of this letter should be "Shut up, sit down, and let Our Dear Ruler finish destroying America".

harley_52
harley_52 10/09/11 - 01:48 pm
Dr, Greenbaum says "The

Dr, Greenbaum says "The election of President Obama seemed to have signaled that racial hatred was diminishing in this country. The celebration of this new morality didn’t last long, and unfortunately disrespect for the president has increased. Almost daily, The Chronicle – with its editorials, with its cartoons, and with scurrilous letters to the editor – heaps scorn on President Obama. Respecting our president goes along with respecting the United States. To do otherwise is to diminish this country’s stature."

I think this issue will become the central premise of the President's 2012 campaign and I think it will be piggybacked on this "greed" issue presently being supported by the left that's taken thousands to the streets.

I believe the Obama Administration will continue to challenge any and all disagreement with his policies as being supportive of "the rich" and attempts of "the rich" to oppress and hold back "the poor," or "the working class." Class envy and class warfare will be front and center.

As the campaign progresses, I think you'll see racism brought into the mix. Since black unemployment is higher that white unemployment and since "the rich" are portrayed as really "rich and white" and since the "rich and white" disagree with a "black" President's policies racism and class warfare will become a perfect match.

david jennings
david jennings 10/09/11 - 03:06 pm
I liked Dr. House' letter so

I liked Dr. House' letter so much I read it twice, It was all I could do to read Greenbaum' once.

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/09/11 - 03:19 pm
Oh geez, another "Greenbomb".

Oh geez, another "Greenbomb". You finally said something I agree with Lowell. "We must think before we vote or we will regress." We certainly did not think before we voted in '08. It was a knee jerk vote....more of a reaction than a considered decision. And what did we get? Obamacare, Solyndra, Fast and Furious, no jobs, no growth, 4 $trillion MORE in debt, a corrupt and racist Justice Department, dead optimism, dead consumer confidence, class warfare, and a helluva travel bill to keep Obama on his permanent campaign trail and Michelle and the kids in lobster and ice cream. Oh yeh, and two CANADIAN buses. Tens of thousands of people out of work in Indiana and Ohio who do RVs and bus conversions and Obama rides in a couple of multimillion dollar Canadian built buses. I am sorry Lowell. The only way I am getting behind this president is to help push him out the door. He, his appointees, Harry Reid, and Nancy Pelosi have been a disaster for this country. And by the way, now that old Harry has played the nuclear option, please don't be on here complaining in 2013 when this tactic is used to start reversing these socialist, anti-business policies.

Steve62351
Steve62351 10/09/11 - 04:14 pm
Mr. Greenbaum ended his words

Mr. Greenbaum ended his words with, "It is time to stand up and say to those in Congress and those who write in The Chronicle: We are going forward. We respect our president and will work with him, so once again we will be the leader in all aspects that make our nation the world’s leader." What does Mr. Greenbaum mean when he says "We are going forward"? Forward into what? Does Mr. Greenbaum mean further forward into higher unemployment, or further forward into the highest annual deficit spending ever recorded, or further forward into increasing the U.S. national debt at the fasted rate ever seen, or further forward into the historically highest usage of food stamps, or further forward into the historically highest numbers of home owners being foreclosed upon, or further forward with the Dept. Of Justice selling guns to illegal aliens and then losing track of them, or further forward with more and more people worried about their future and their children's and grandchildren's future? Is that the "forward" that Mr. Greenbaum wants us to "work with him (our president, Mr. Barack Obama)" on? If not, then what "forward" is Mr. Greenbaum writing about? I read the columns printed in the Augusta Chronicle each day to not just get other's perspectives, but hoping to gain a better understanding of the world around me and learn new ideas that I can use in my life. I don't appreciate Mr. Greenbaum's words, although he did give me his perspective which is no doubt interesting, because Mr. Greenbaum didn't help me understand the world around me any better and he didn't give me any new ideas I can use in my life. I wish Mr. Greenbaum, and all writers to the Chronicle, would read and follow the example of the guest columnist in today's Chronicle titled "Ripped Social Fabric Takes Toll on America", by Mr. Fredrick House, because Mr House did provide information that helped me gain a better understanding of the world around me and he did offer some ideas that I can use in my daily life. I very much appreciate the first amendment right of free speech, but I wish Mr. Geenbaum would use his right of free speech more productively by writing about his ideas concerning what is needed to help resolve the problems he sees and offering his leadership, his energy, and his time in putting those remedies into effect.

Chillen
Chillen 10/09/11 - 04:51 pm
"The election of President

"The election of President Obama seemed to have signaled that racial hatred was diminishing in this country." Tell that to the obama administration, Eric Holder and his racist justice dept minions. Race relations are actually worse. Black on white racism has deepened.

A few examples: Open branding of Tea Party folks as racist, accusing anyone who opposes obama as racists (gotta keep your voting base stirred up, right obama?), allowing black panthers to get away with crimes caught ON VIDEO due to skin color......

We took about 100 steps back and obama truly seems to be enjoying it. At the very least he's not helping it.

Darby
Darby 10/09/11 - 04:54 pm
Cassandra - How perceptive of

Cassandra - How perceptive of you to notice my "psychic powers". They weren't needed in your case. You spoke of "Bush or VP Cheney" in your original post but your retort speaks of "former presidents" which I am inclined to believe suggests you might have defended Clinton or even Carter (heaven forbid). If you really did speak out for #43, then don't be reticent to say so. Some of us might even believe you.

As for the numbers, I don't play them. Like so many others, I see the lottery as the last best chance we have to get a little of our tax money back from those to whom the government has "spread the wealth".

Azziz is finalist for UNLV presidency

Ricardo Azziz, who has been mentioned in the past for other open university positions in Florida and Texas, is one of three finalists for the position.