Speak out on ZIP code

A few weeks ago, The Columbia County News-Times ran an editorial about my concerns with the sharing of a ZIP code between Martinez and west Augusta (“Shared ZIP codes can be changed,” Aug. 3). Several residents contacted me by phone in support of the change; there even was a letter to the editor in support of a change.

For the U.S. Postal Service to take any action, two things have to take place. A letter to the postmaster requesting a change must be sent up the chain of command. I have done this. The second phase is a survey of Martinez residents on their feelings about a need for separating the Martinez and west Augusta ZIP codes. Surveys cost money and are very labor-intensive. Instead of a formal survey, I am asking residents of Martinez to invest a few cents in a postcard sent to the postmaster in Augusta and stating, “I would like a separation of the Martinez and west Augusta ZIP codes, with Martinez, Ga., having its own ZIP code.” It is important that you print your name and return address clearly on the postcard, so the Postal Service knows you are a resident, then send it to the address below so the process can begin in earnest.

Postmaster Augusta

525 Eighth St.

Augusta, GA 30901

hoptoad
hoptoad 08/26/14 - 12:59 am
I don't live in Martinez, but

I don't live in Martinez, but some subdivisions and street names there are either similar or the same as other local areas so it would make sense to have its own zip code.

There was always a distinction in the past between Martinez and Evans. Now that Grovetown seems to have taken over more of the postal area, Martinez is like a red-headed stepchild.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/26/14 - 05:00 am
Your very own zip code

You need it. That area will explode in the next few years...get it.

corgimom
corgimom 08/26/14 - 05:30 am
As someone who has gotten a

As someone who has gotten a different zip code assigned to them, it's hell. You would not believe all of the paperwork that needs to be changed.

Be careful what you wish for.

Junket103
Junket103 08/26/14 - 06:19 am
What is the reason to change?

The LTO doesn't explain the underlying reason to change. Is the USPS having a problem delivering junk mail to residents in the 30907 area? Perhaps it is time for Columbia County to merge Evans and Martinez into one entity. The residents in Martinez could then start using the zip code for Evans. This would keep Evans on a par with Grovetown in terms of growth and expansion. We can start calling the merged entity Evanez or MartinEvans.

historylover
historylover 08/26/14 - 07:16 am
Junket103

Good idea, but I would call the new area, TOODARNEDCROWDED, GA

Just saying. You couldn't pay me to live in that area. I'll stick to my little slice of country in Burke County.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/26/14 - 08:36 am
I would dread changing all of

I would dread changing all of addresses on my bills and official mail. When they implemented 911 out here they changed my house number and for years I kept running into seldom used but "official" places that I forgot to notify.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/26/14 - 10:42 am
Please vote AGAINST

There are no current problems.
30907 has lots of room for new housing so we will not exceed any limit.
The change would cost individuals and businesses hundreds of thousands and possibly millions of dollars in unnecessary changes -- stationery, business cards, websites, etc. etc. and cost the USPS lots more in wasteful administrative expense -- and for what?
Suburban vanity, that's all it is.
Write to the Postmaster and say NO to the proposed change!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/26/14 - 12:30 pm

It is a boneheaded idea to monkey around with the zip codes. The postal service set up its service territories in a manner that maximized efficiency in carrier routes.

Now, it looks like politics rules the day. West Augusta is well-served by the Martinez post office. I have seen no problems arise.

The post office should not be concerned with county lines. The mail carriers do not have to pay a toll to cross over into Richmond County. Leave 30907 service area the way it is.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/26/14 - 04:08 pm
I agree with Dman and LL. My

I agree with Dman and LL. My only concern would be, does a zip code that covers two counties cause problems?

corgimom
corgimom 08/26/14 - 05:03 pm
No, GAD, why would it? The

No, GAD, why would it?

The mail comes from one distribution center, and goes to one processing center. The counties make no difference to the post office, because it's all the same in every county.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/26/14 - 07:27 pm
Duplicate road names is the

Duplicate road names is the major problem between municipalities. ZIP can be the differentiator.

More than 2,000 get meal at annual dinner

More than 800 volunteers served a hot meal to more than 2,000 homeless people at James Brown Arena on Saturday at the Bridge Ministry's annual Thanksgiving Dinner.