Wear the 'armor of God'

The shepherds only preach the feel-good messages – never the issues concerning us Christians. The congregation talks about the issues, but are afraid to speak out. They say God will take care of it.

We, as Christians, are being persecuted in this country. And as thousands are being murdered overseas, we just sit quietly like church mice. In the city of Mosul, Iraq, in the early part of this year, 45,000 Christians were there; now they are all but nonexistent. Many were murdered; others are hiding in the mountains. Mosul has been a Christian city for 1,700 years.

I’ll tell you what God wants: He wants Christians to stand up and put on the “armor of God,” and stand and fight for what is right. If we stand together, we can’t be defeated.

Stan Scritchfield

Augusta

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/22/14 - 01:04 am
Christians are being

Christians are being persecuted in THIS country??? Give me a freeking break.

thauch12
thauch12 08/22/14 - 02:27 am
"God’s people in Israel are

"God’s people in Israel are standing up to the ones who want to destroy them, and we all should be backing them in every way we can. Jesus said that if you deny him, he will deny you to his Father."

I find it really difficult to find the logic in this statement, much less the letter overall. I hope Mr. Scritchfield realizes that the Israelis do in fact "deny [H]im"? They are a Jewish state after all...it's somewhat part and parcel of that. The Palestinians and their Muslim majority do the same thing when it comes to Jesus...

fedex227
fedex227 08/22/14 - 05:29 am
In a nutshell ...

'Morality is doing what is right regardless of what you are told.'

'Religion is doing what you are told regardless of what is right.'

hoptoad
hoptoad 08/22/14 - 06:59 am
As of now, Christians in this

As of now, Christians in this country are not being persecuted. BUT Christians are under attack and slowly, little by little, have lost some rights here and some ground there.

Every reference to Christianity, every object and Christian holiday is being challenged. Some challenges have been won, some lost. It's like socialism - it is slowly but steadily creeping up on us all.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/22/14 - 07:04 am
Building an earthly financial kingdom or making disciples?

You take Caesar's money, you play be Caesar's rules.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/22/14 - 07:06 am
Preaching separation of church and state. Writing grant apps as

fast as they can. Prosperity Religion speak with "forked tongue"

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/22/14 - 07:07 am
Power to change lives, not political climate. My kingdom is not

of this world system, remember His words regarding politics.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/22/14 - 07:08 am
Jesus never preached about over throwing the Roman Guvmit.

It wasn't His purpose. To seek and save the lost.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/22/14 - 07:36 am
God bless/sneeze

When a woman gets in trouble for saying "God Bless" after a sneeze...yes Houston, we have a problem here.

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 08/22/14 - 07:47 am
The airport's right off Doug

The airport's right off Doug Barnard Parkway Stan. You might not be able to fly direct to Mosul, but you can motor in after you land. Good luck and have fun.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/22/14 - 08:30 am
Well Bod if radical muslims

Well Bod if radical muslims do attack the US to kill Christians I guess you and GAD will be collateral damage and will die too.
Christians are being attacked but just not persecuted. Christians need to realize when it comes to govt we are not like muslims and blend our religion with govt, and all people want a voice in govt so compromise all around has to made so all can enjoy freedom. Sadly some wanting a voice seem to want to repress others at times, but the goal should be we all have a voice and freedom and respect that which you believe. Like Christians and Atheist just agree to disagree and allow each their freedom without bashing each other. I've always been fascinated by other religions, cultures, and societies. My 45 years as an atheist I never bashed any chrisitans-though admittedly one Jesus freak kept getting in my face and I thought about beating the crap out of him-I just never cared what these weak minded folks (I was taught and I thought at the time) were doing.

deestafford
deestafford 08/22/14 - 08:25 am
Because of "political correctness"...

Because of "political correctness" in the United States today, religious tolerance has replaced religious freedom.

"Diversity" and moral relativism are the watch words of the left who controls too much of society, academia, and the political elite. To them there are no absolutes and we are declining because of it. It's still not too late to turn it around, but that time maybe approaching.

ELLIOTTMESS55
ELLIOTTMESS55 08/22/14 - 01:51 pm
i'm a christian,and i've

i'm a christian,and i've never been persecuted or witnessed it all my years.so who and where is this happening?i don't force my religion on anyone,and would also appreciate it if,the jehovah witnesses would stop knocking on my door,especially on saturdays when i've worked all night.off topic,but these posts are a little weak,and bland at times.

deestafford
deestafford 08/22/14 - 09:35 am
eel,...

eel..the Ten Commandments say "Thou Shalt Not Murder"...not kill.
Your ignorance, and I hope it's ignorance rather than stupidity, is astounding. Christ, God, and The Holy Spirit are one and what Christ knew, God knew. He did not need "to go running to daddy''.

myfather15
myfather15 08/22/14 - 01:07 pm
The Armor of God comes from Ephesians Chapter 6;

Ephesians chapter 6 also tells us what the REAL battle is, which is spiritual!!

No, Christians in this Country are being persecuted like Christians in the middle east; which is blood and flesh persecution!! But the battle for Christians in this Country is spiritual; and if you can't see the spiritual oppression, then you simply don't want to see it!!

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Either that, or you're one who agrees with Christianity being completely abolished from any public venue; therefore you wouldn't see the oppression!!

But, the fact is Christianity is being removed from this society in general!! To the left, the only place you can practice your faith is sitting at home on the couch; and you better not pray too loud from home; if an atheist is walking your neighborhood and hears it, they might be offended!! Then the lawsuits would fly!!

Recently, a Restaurant in Winston-Salem was giving discounts for those who pray (not requiring you to pray to any particular god, or even out loud) and atheists threatened a law suit!! Now, it's a Pizza parlor giving a "Church" discount on Sundays, and some atheist has a problem with it!!

I could absolutely go on all day long with examples of atheist leftists spiritually attacking Christians and suppressing their faith!! Forcing peoples faith out of the public. Why? Because of a disgusting and WRONG interpretation of what they believe the Constitution means!! But, it doesn't matter what the Constitution says; because LIARS don't care and that's exactly what they are, LIARS!! Some even claiming the experience health issue, simply because they look at a cross!! Are you serious? I've got some health issues for you!!

The atheist left's hatred for God or the very aspect of our God; is disgusting!! Yes, they absolutely hate Him and hate anyone who follows Him!! Some will say "How do they hate something they don't believe in?" My answer is; if He was standing in front of them right now, they would spit in His face; because He doesn't approve of everything they do, and they hate anyone who tries to limit their behavior!! He established nature and rules and regulations in life. They despise his laws, just like they despise America's laws and are constantly trying to change them!!

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 08/22/14 - 09:40 am
EEL

It must hell for you to live around Christians ! Just wait until the rapture when we are gone !

OJP
OJP 08/22/14 - 09:42 am
The world doesn't need more people weaponizing their religion.

Particularly because anyone who does is always "right" because they have God on their side.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 08/22/14 - 09:47 am
myfather

I was reading this morning where a restaurant was giving a 10% discount on Sunday for showing the Church bulletin. The Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) is threatening to sue. The owners of the restaurant says he cannot afford to defend himself in court. What would you call this? This is bulling and intimidation of a private business.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 08/22/14 - 09:54 am
OJP

You obviously cannot or will not make any determination of what is right or wrong. Moral relativism! It is easy for most of us to separate good from bad.
Defending innocent people is good. All of the killing done by these radical muslims is bad. Stopping this killing is good....even if it means killing these radicals. How many beheading are being done in the name of Christ? How many people are required to become Christians or die?

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 08/22/14 - 10:01 am
EEL

This is referring to the White Throne judgement which is the judgement of the unbelievers. If you have not confessed Christ as Savior you do not belong to Him. On this day of judgement this is the guilty verdict you will receive. Your sins were not paid for by Christ and you must pay for them yourself for all eternity. I am sure you don't like what I have said but that does not make them any less true.

OJP
OJP 08/22/14 - 10:01 am
@RMSHEFF

"You obviously cannot or will not make any determination of what is right or wrong." Erm, no, I can. And if the only thing preventing you from doing horrible acts is the promise of divine reward or the threat of eternal punishment, then please keep going to church for the sake of the rest of us.

We don't need religious warriors to be able to punish criminals, including war criminals. We can do it the old fashioned way (i.e., pursuant to the Constitution and the rule of law).

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 08/22/14 - 10:05 am
Killing vs Murder

The word "kill" in Exodus 20:13 and Deuteronomy 5:17 means "murder." The proper translation is THOU SHALT NOT MURDER. It is interesting that in Matthew 19:18 the KJV correctly translates the Sixth Commandment: "Thou shalt do no murder." The Hebrew word (ratsach) and the Greek Word (phonenō) which are used in the Sixth Commandment both clearly mean "murder." The Hebrew language has a general word for killing (the verb muwth, meaning "to cause to die") and the Greek language has a general word for killing (the verb apokteinō), but these general terms for killing are not used in the Sixth Commandment. Instead very specific words are used which forbid MURDER.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 08/22/14 - 10:14 am
OPJ

Everything I do is to honor God through obedience to His Word. I am told to love others, even those that persecute me. I am never to murder but allowed to defend myself, my family or the innocent. The government is given additional authority whether secular or not to punish those that violate the law up to and including the death penalty.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 08/22/14 - 10:17 am
EEL

The Word of God is foolishness to those that do not believe.

Your attitude reassures me of the truthfulness of Gods Word.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 08/22/14 - 10:24 am
EEL, don't you know that god

EEL, don't you know that god loves you so much that he created hell just in case you don't love him back?

carcraft
carcraft 08/22/14 - 10:24 am
LOL EEL, I have posted

LOL EEL, I have posted previous studies that indicate Christians live happer lives, have better sex lives and live longer. I don't go to Church because I fear God. No I go to Church and worship God because there is a joy in my relationship with Christ that is hard to discribe or quantify but some pretty good studies indicate it is real.

OJP
OJP 08/22/14 - 10:29 am
@RMSHEFF

To each his own, you are free to believe how you choose. But let's leave law enforcement to secular government forces and not religious groups. Nothing good comes about when the person in charge of law enforcement claims that God is on their side (see, ISIS). They never have to admit they are are wrong.

historylover
historylover 08/22/14 - 10:43 am
I don't see any reason

to criticize what other people believe or do not believe. OJP and EEL, you are just as guilty as the "believers" when it comes to disrespecting the other side. As I keep saying over and over, you cannot paint all Christians, all atheists, all Buddhists, all Muslims, all Hindus and whoever I left out with one stroke. Each is different.

I am Catholic. I don't believe in the rapture or the White Throne (whatever that is?) but I do believe in the good words of Jesus. I for one do take the commandment "Thou Shalt Not Kill" literally. Literally. That means I don't support war, capital punishment or any "righteous" killings. Now I know as a human that these things are going to happen, but I pray every day that they will not. Call me disillusioned if you want, but one thing we do very much have the right to do in the good ole USA, is choose our religion.

As for Christians in the US being discriminated against or attacked, I think it's all made up by FOX news. Just saying...

OJP
OJP 08/22/14 - 10:55 am
@historylover

Your comment strikes me as an attempt to appeal to the middle - where have I disrespected religion as equally as others have me in this article's comments?

The first one out of the gate accused me of being incapable of knowing right from wrong because I am not a Christian... my response has literally been "To each his own."

historylover
historylover 08/22/14 - 11:11 am
OJP and EEL

I know you were both unfairly attacked. It happens to me all of the time on here. The reason I addressed both of you was literally to make sure that the others read my comment.

I do try somewhat to stay in the middle on here. Even still I get singled out as being extreme left. That is probably from my past posts more than anything. Just watch I too will get attacked for my post. Sorry to single you both out. I just wanted to voice my opinion too. And EEL they call me astonishingly ignorant all the time and much worse!

I enjoy both of your posts on here very, very much.