America's past is tainted

The good things they say about the United States when it was created are not true – like the nation being born in freedom and in the Christian religion. Much of America had black slavery when it was created, and had it for almost a century after it was created.

Conservatives and the Tea Party are misguided. Evangelists Pat Robertson, of The 700 Club, CBN and Regent University; Jack Van Impe; and Hal Lindsey are all misguided.

I am 69 years old, and have been a Christian all my life. I also am a disabled Vietnam veteran. I was born and raised in black segregation, and have experienced racism. One time I got on a city bus during segregation. The bus was empty except for the driver, so I decided to sit up front. The driver told me to go to the back of the bus.

I also have experienced racism up north, and I was in the U.S. military!

So the United States has not been so good throughout its history, as some people make it out to be. And preachers on Christian television need to actually start preaching the Gospel.

Muslim terrorism, the Holocaust and racism are the worst things I have heard of.

Bobby Etheredge

Augusta

gaflyboy
gaflyboy 07/24/14 - 10:34 pm
OK

Just what is the point of this letter. I'm sure everyone who might read this is well aware of slavery in America.

It would also be nice if Mr. Etheredge also knew that America 238 years old and slavery here ended almost 150 years ago. Yes racism (bigotry is more appropriate) continued for many years, but today, it is near the bottom of our list of problems.

It might actually go away completely if people didn't keep dredging it up for no apparent reason!

Perhaps something upset Mr. Etheredge that he's not sharing here.

deestafford
deestafford 07/24/14 - 10:39 pm
Slavery was not started by America...

Slavery was not started by America. It has been a part of the world for thousands of years. Slavery started and existed in Africa for hundreds of years before America was founded. Africans were enslaving other Africans for hundreds of years. American Indians were enslaving other Indians before the white man ever set foot on the Western Hemisphere.

Every country in the world has racism and prejudice against some race or group within that country. Racism is just not isolated toward the black people.

Too many black people use "racism" as an excuse for them not succeeding rather than their own personal shortcomings.

The only thing holding a person back is six inches---the six inches between their ears. Granted it is easier for some than others but the pathway to success is there for all except those mentally or extremely physically impaired. The sooner many blacks learn that they too can be successful likeThomas Sowell, Walter Williams, Ben Carson, George Washington Carver, and hundreds of other blacks have done.

deestafford
deestafford 07/25/14 - 10:05 am
America was founded on the Christian faith and I'll..

America was founded on the Christian faith and I'll give just a few of the dozens of quotes I have from the people around during the early years of our Founding Era:

"One great object of the colonial charters was avowedly the propagation of the Christian faith." Chief Justice John Marshall

"The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were...the general principles of Christianity." John Adams.

"There is no country in the whole world in which the Christian religion retains a greater influence over the souls of men than in America---and there can be no greater proof of its utility, and of its conformity to human nature, than that its influence is most powerfully felt over the most enlightened and free nation of the earth." Alexis de Tocqueville in his work "Democracy in America".

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion...Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams

Mr. Etheredge, Read the writings of John Hancock, George Washington, John Adams, Benjamin Rush, Thomas Jefferson, Robert Treat Paine, John Witherspoon, Patrick Henry, Noah Webster, Daniel Webster, and many other Founders rather than leftist, socialist braying by those who want not even fragments of religion in our Founding documents because that sets a standard of behavior and standards are something the left abhors.

For over a hundred years the Progressive/liberals/socialists/communists have tried to strip God from America by falsely spreading the illusion that we were not founded on the principles and beliefs of Christianity.

southern2
southern2 07/24/14 - 11:51 pm
Yes, I agree with the LTE,

Yes, I agree with the LTE, racism is alive in America today.

I have experienced it my whole life as evidenced through Affirmative Action, Black History Month, UNCF, Black Miss America, Jet magazine, BET, Black professional groups, Black student groups, NAACP, Black Panthers. Acceptable white only organizations still do not exist.

Slavery was abolished a long time ago yet the nation continues to allow the guilt trip of yesterday to carry forth through multiple generations. Through this same guilt and the promoting of the advancement of one race, the Afro-Americans, we have seen other segments of the population latch on and use the same route to prominence. Gays, Hispanics, and Muslims have now become the new forces demanding special consideration from the evil empire referenced by the letter writer.

carcraft
carcraft 07/25/14 - 04:39 am
Mr. Etheredge like Obama,

Mr. Etheredge like Obama, loves to slam America on it's past. Well sorry Mr. Etheredge, I can't change the past. Christians ended slavery in Western Europe and thousands up on thousands of mostly WHITE Americans DIED to end end in America. White people got on buses and came to the south to end discrimination. America was structured to allow these changes!

wribbs
wribbs 07/25/14 - 04:52 am
I think Mr. Etheridge's

I think Mr. Etheridge's letter is a defense of Obama. He sees the almost intentional destruction Obama is unleashing on this country and the things that happened here in America 150 years ago justify it. He feels this country needs to be taken down a peg or two.

iaaffg
iaaffg 07/25/14 - 04:57 am
if the letter writer would

if the letter writer would open a few history books, he'd learn quickly that there is no country on this earth that does not have some kind of skeleton in its closet, and the u.s.a. is no exception. we all know about the slavery thing, blahblahblah: it's not a u.s. originality, bob, slavery was in force thousands of years ago, long before the u.s. was even a gleam in a pilgrim's eye. almost every country you could name has violence and bloodshed in its roots. people have been oppressed, denied, castigated, and mass extinguished since the dawn of mankind, so no reason to adopt or tout the idea that the u.s. is the only nation around that has things of which we should be less than proud. it's a human condition, not a u.s. condition. but i guess your job this week, as assigned by your idol, was to continue to propagate discord and dissent, as evidenced by this somewhat befuddled letter. unfortunately for you, a lot of us know pee on our leg, despite your assertion that it's merely rain.

david jennings
david jennings 07/25/14 - 05:43 am
the world

The letter writer should remember, we are in the world but don't be of the world. Be content not covetous, love don't hate. This world is not our home we are only passing through. The world is under the control of the prince of darkness, and he loves it when we are trapped in this darkness. I'm thankful to God for this country, it's not perfect but we still have so much to be thankful for. No I don't own property or a nice home, my vehicle is twenty years old. I have Faith and that is all we need, there is peace in the Lord Jesus.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/25/14 - 06:15 am
The writer is ignorant

The writer is ignorant initially from 1580-1680 indentured servants were brought in for labor- many European and Africans did their service and then became land owners. These blacks lost everything as Africans were brought in as slaves in the late 1600's. By 1700 there were only 20K slaves, after that it really escalated. Most slaves actually were sold in the Caribbean and in Brazil.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/25/14 - 06:19 am
First, Mr. Ethredge, thank

First, Mr. Ethredge, thank you for your service to our country, even though you seem to hold ill will toward the U.S.

You claim you experienced racism up north? Well, I am a little older than you and was born and lived in the north, graduated from highschool up there. My father was in the AF (Army Air Corps) so I was exposed to the military life also.

I never saw racism in any of the northern states or other states I lived in - New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Indiana, and Washington State. I also lived in Alaska, Texas and California. I never had a racist bone in my body.

If anyone up north, to include the military, had prejudices they at least kept it to themselves. I never witnessed any violence, or heard any slurs.

When I moved to Georgia in the 70's, I was not yet a tried and true conservative. I was amazed at the difference in the attitude of blacks toward whites and whites toward blacks. For the first time I was exposed to obvious racism and derision - but it was from the democrats. Are you a democrat, Mr. Etheredge? Maybe you should be blaming them instead of America.

After experiencing the real feelings of democrats and learning how they have manipulated and "used" blacks, I have since become a full-fledged, dedicated, hard core Republican.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/25/14 - 06:26 am
Mr. Etheredge, ask youself

Mr. Etheredge, ask youself this - when slaves were freed, why did they all not clamor to return to Africa. Many had either been born there or had immediate family members that were directly from there?

Maybe because as bad as they were treated here, it was better than what they would have experienced if they returned to their roots. Africans sold their own tribe members or members of other tribes instead of protecting each other from slave traders. Did you happen to come across that tidbit when you were looking into your misguided history book.

KSL
KSL 07/25/14 - 06:59 am
Well I can say that I

Well I can say that I experienced racism first hand. In the 60's, when I went off to college in Massachusetts, my trunk preceded me. My roommate and her family had already been to our room and had noticed my trunk from Georgia. She was from Pittsburgh. After her parents and my grandparents, who lived in NY left, she confessed to me how panicked they had been, seeing my GA address. They feared that I was a black girl. It shocked me.

Knowing I would experience a bout of homesickness since it would be 3 months before I would be back home in GA to see my family and boyfriend, whom I would marry 3 years later, my mother had reminded me that there is always something humorous in a bad situation if you just look for it. I couldn't wait to put my handful of quarters in the payhone to call her and tell her I had found it.

Little Old Lady
Little Old Lady 07/25/14 - 07:12 am
Covert racism

I lived in the Chicago area for several years in the late 50's and I can tell you first hand there was racism and bigotry there. I saw it. It was hidden in their closets but it was there. Covert racism is still racism.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/25/14 - 07:17 am
KSL, sorry to hear you

KSL, sorry to hear you experienced that unfortunate incident, but you might want to consider the source. I never went to an ivy league school run by mostly left-wing professors, so I guess I have to admit that there may have been racism I was not exposed to.

Massachusettes, while I have visited Boston on several occasions, is one of the states I never lived in and it is a "Blue State" afterall.

And being from the south in the 60's during segration, it is hard for me to believe that is the first time you experienced seeing racism. Yet, you have made it seem that it only happened in the north.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 07/25/14 - 07:20 am
why is it that all libs blame

why is it that all libs blame all racism on america?...as stated earlier it was standard practice in the world b/4 our country was even a dream...and it still is prevelant in many countries..and slavery also was not limited to dark skin...BUT, it took the US to end slavery in a bloody civil war..it was because of the BILL of RIGHTS..that established our rights come from GOD not man the was the basis to end that terrible practice..we, america, did not invent slavery, but we did end it here....

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/25/14 - 07:36 am
Both my maternal and paternal

Both my maternal and paternal grandparents were born in Ireland Scotland, and Italy making me only second generation American . Perhaps that's why I was brought up with neither side of my family expressing disparaging remarks about blacks. None of my ancestors had slaves nor did they "steal" from the poor. Some of them could not speak english, but learned enough to communicate. They all got jobs and worked hard instead of waiting for handouts.

However, the Irish side of my family was made fun of - they were accused of having "pigs in their parlor" among other things. My Italian side was called WOPs (Without Papers). My Italian grandfather resorted to changing his last name to appear more American. And the Scots were accused of being misers and thieves.

The Asians who built our railroads and Polish who suffered many unkind jokes all overcame the slurs directed toward them and moved on with their lives.

KSL
KSL 07/25/14 - 07:28 am
Actually I had been shielded

Actually I had been shielded from racism to a large extent. Certainly not from segregation, but from bigotry. Perhaps it was where I grew up. The KKK was abhorred. We lived side by side with black families. To me they were extended family.

KSL
KSL 07/25/14 - 08:19 am
I know what you mean about

I know what you mean about the wop. My father's father was first generation pure Italian. My father's mother was Dutch, whose ancestors had been in New York for over a hundred years with an English line going back to the Mayflower. My dad grew up in Brooklyn. He was 17 when WW2 began. My grandparents had an Italian live in housekeeper, cook, nanny. Don't know why, my grandmother didn't work.

My father for many years ignored his Italian heritage, disassociated with it. I am glad in later years he got over it and began to correspond with cousins in Italy.

KSL
KSL 07/25/14 - 07:51 am
The imigrants back then tried

The imigrants back then tried to become American as soon as possible. My grandfather's first and middle names as well as my father's first and middle names were about as English as you could get. Though my father did change his middle name to my Dutch grandmother's maiden name.

KSL
KSL 07/25/14 - 08:16 am
Way more info about me than

Way more info about me than anyone wanted, but I did want to have some backup to what could have been construed as my opinion only.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 07/25/14 - 08:23 am
my daughter in law is

my daughter in law is black...she lives with my son in charlettesville va...i must admit it caught me off guard...and i grew up in IOWA, moved to fla when i was 14..had many friends on the football teams that i played with who were black...i could not understand during riots at our high school, why my black friends could not associate with me...it would have caused them a whipping in their communities....what i have found out after 60 years is that bad and lazy comes in all colors..and i could not have picked out a better daughter-n-law...i do blame our govt. for the decay we find in the inner cities and in other poor areas, there programs have destroyed the families and left million of kids without fathers...

cush1944
cush1944 07/25/14 - 09:48 am
"Just about every ethnic

"Just about every ethnic group has been subjected to bias, racism or bigotry. And all have overcome it except blacks. It's time they let go of the past and moved on."
hoptoad, racism has been spread by the democrats, liberals and black leaders even in black churches for the last 40 years. The democrats do it for the black vote, the liberals out of ignorance and black leaders live large off the blacks of poor black folks.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/25/14 - 09:49 am
Just be glad you weren't born

Just be glad you weren't born a Jew in '40s Germany or Poland. Or better yet, be glad you were not born in Africa, the home of the slave trade, where they are STILL whacking each other's heads off and enslaving each other.....and killing Christians. America did not invent slavery you know. The Africans and Arabs were doing that for centuries.
And slaves were first brought to the ENGLISH colonies in 1619, over 150 years before America declared it's independence from England. It's not like America said "hey, let's become a country and go buy some slaves".

America does not have a perfect history but at least our founding fathers built in provisions that have allowed us to correct many of the problems. You COULD have had a much worse history if you had been born in some place other than America.

If you are not proud of this country then that is your right and you have certainly earned it.

I WAS proud of this country but am not happy about what it has become in the last 6 years. That is my right and I, like you, have earned it. I feel like I am part of the 53% of the country that has been enslaved by my government to pay for the other 47% to sit on their thumbs and rotate.

Darby
Darby 07/25/14 - 09:52 am
Wow, bobby...

you sure had it tough.

I'm certain things will get much better for you if you just keep living in the distant past.

jimmymac
jimmymac 07/25/14 - 09:55 am
hoptoad

Your story is a carbon copy of my history. Same countries and same stories. My paternal Grandma was an indentured servant in NYC for three years to pay her passage from Ireland. Later my coal miner Grandpa who died of black lung immigrated from Scotland. He went there to work and later moved to Pennsylvania. He worked in the coal mines and became a Molly Maguire due to slave like treatment in the mines. He later died before I was born from the lifetime of working the mines. My maternal grand parents also Americanized their Italian name to try and avoid discrimination as well. This story has been repeated by many families yet only blacks feel they've been mistreated. The Jews 2500 years ago were slaves and guess where? Egypt which is located in Africa yet to hear blacks only white men are guilty of slavery. Maybe if many blacks had become educated they'd know from history that no race on earth isn't guilty of slavery. It still goes on in Africa and the middle east today. Yet all you hear from blacks is that America is the great satan.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/25/14 - 09:54 am
Mr Etheredge seems like a

Mr Etheredge seems like a nice man who may have indeed experienced racism in his past but he chooses to ignore all of the progress of the last 40 years. All of his past letters including this letter are grievances from the 1800 and early 1900. He never fails to remind us that he is a Christian and I am glad that he is. If he could only spend some efforts looking at the positive progress in America instead of continually looking back.

carcraft
carcraft 07/25/14 - 10:12 am
If Mr. Etheredge would read a

If Mr. Etheredge would read a little history , I recommend starting with Ed Cashin. It seems after the civil war there were a lot of Mixed marriages in Augusta producing some exceptional children. In the early 1900's DEMOCRATS saw they could creat a racial divide to gain power. During this period My father and Aunt grew up in Nebraska . One of my aunts friends was the only white girl in the school. I read some great stories about Nebraska homesteaders, many were black and race really wasn't an issue, you needed to get along to survive. People were much more honorable then. One of my favorite stories involved a business man who was white who loaned money to a black man ON THE BLACK MAN'S SIGNATURE . Years later the black fellow went to pay his debt and the businessman had died. The family of the businessman couldn't find any account of the debt and wanted to forgive it. They assumed the black gentleman was mistaken. The black fellow insisted they keep looking for the note. The note was found and repaid in full. Now the problems of race occurred because we allowed people to divide us. So Mr Etheredge who keeps dividing us to gain and keep power?

allhans
allhans 07/25/14 - 10:43 am
I didn't expect to see

I didn't expect to see posters responding .....

shamrock
shamrock 07/25/14 - 11:14 am
Enough Is Enough

People are slamming Mr. Etheridge for exercising his right to voice an opinion. As a white person, I never experienced what racism felt like but I am certain the past does hurt many people of various colors. I didn't like it when I rode an almost empty bus to baseball practice at Fort Gordon back in the 60s and had a bus driver tell me to sit up front ... the back was for n******s. I liked looking out the back window!!! I didn't understand why the Richmond County courthouse had water fountains marked white and colored ... the water in both was clear. There was no color in the water. Why did all the service stations have two restrooms marked Men and Women but if you were black you used the third one marked Colored? BTW ... the courthouse had the same type of restrooms. Today those "colored restrooms" are now janitorial closets. I didn't understand why the neighbors kept peeking out windows that Sunday my parents invited a guest pastor, from Savannah, and his family to dinner and later us kids played in the yard. So what if their skin had a different pigment ... they were no different than I was. I don't necessarily agree with Mr. Etheridge dredging up the past but I do understand that he once suffered irreprable damage from first hand experiences I will never have to deal with. This will probably haunt him until the day he dies. He has every right to express his opinion even when I don't totally agree. What I do understand is that he was hurt and for that I am truly sorry.

ELLIOTTMESS55
ELLIOTTMESS55 07/25/14 - 12:07 pm
can't for the life of me

can't for the life of me understand why the gov't is always the culprit.the gov't doesn't destroy families,no good,sorry men do that.no one can keep a family apart if they are truly a family.no real man would let his family mooch off the gov't,and live in crime ridden projects either.they do it because they benefit also.those kids don't eat that much food either.the sorry dad and mom are in collusion.the gov't can only stop it by reducing all benefits gradually until someone gets a job and contributes something besides an empty stomach.people live in inner cities because they want to.no jobs there? what fool would invest there only to be robbed every other day?you want a job? go find one and find transportation.as dolly parton sang about "you're only poor if you choose to be"

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen