Obama's true colors show

President Obama, being true to his socialist/communist upbringing, began to assert those beliefs in his policies, words, and actions soon after being elected. He didn’t tell us socialism/communism would be part of his promise to fundamental change to America, but many understood this anyway.

Therein lies the roots of my opposition to this man. How can Democrats continue to support a man who so obviously has set out to ruin our country? A man who looks the American people in the eye, and lies to them repeatedly without hesitation. A man who appears to be working to tear down the institutions Americans have held to be necessary, valuable and dear.

To Democrats, their party takes precedence over God, country or anything else! My question to them is this: When and why did Democrats stop being Americans? How and why did the national news media decide en masse to drop responsible reporting in favor of spin for the Obama administration? We are more than $17 trillion in debt. By the year 2020, the interest alone will be over $1 trillion annually!

This administration has released at least 36,000 illegal criminal aliens back into our society. Approximately 52,000 unescorted minor children, along with 39,000 accompanying adults with children, have recently crossed our border and are being detained on military bases, later to be dropped in individual states, creating an enormous strain on those states. Someone, somewhere is orchestrating this crisis!

This president has not bothered to visit the border or the affected states to assess the crisis situation, but is too busy golfing or fund raising for the Democratic Party, or perhaps thinking of new ways to destroy America.

Robert Smock

Hephzibah

Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva 07/19/14 - 07:53 am
Why is the debt so high and who caused it?

Since Reagan, we've cut the top tax rate in half. Also, the majority of those in the top few percent no longer make their money as wages, which cut their maximum tax rate 79%, plus they don't have payroll taxes on their earning, cutting their percentage even further. They also take in a much larger share of the income, making it where those that bring in the vast majority of the income face a maximum tax rate of 15%. From 1945 to 1969, corporations paid an average 4.22% of GDP per year in taxes. From 2009 through 2013, they paid an average 1.3% of GDP despite record profits. No matter what the maximum rate on paper says, in 2013, the effective average corporate tax rate was 12.6%. In 1960, payroll taxes were 2.6 of GDP in taxes, in 2013, they were 5.7%. From 1996 through 2001, income taxes brought in 9.12% of GDP in revenue. From 2009 through 2013 they brought in 6.9% of GDP in revenue. 2 wars that are estimated to cost between $4 trillion to $6 trillion. Real defense spending that's roughly $1.2 - $1.4 trillion per year when we've had revenue as low as $2.1 trillion in 2009, which was lower than 2005's revenue, and in constant dollars was less than 1998'a revenue. Thanks to tax cuts and the myth of trickle down economics, we have a revenue problem. A very bad one. We also can't keep spending over 50% of the military spending of the entire world.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 07/19/14 - 08:10 am
When and why did Democrats stop being Americans?

Mr. Smock, Sir, You offend me.
I am a proud Democrat and a proud American, and you offend me.
I, whose family have lived in America since the 1620s and three of whose ancestors arrived on the Mayflower, am offended by your impudent question. You offend me, Sir, with your impertinence, I who had four ancestors fight in the American War of Independence. You offend me, Mr. Smock, Sir, I whose grandfather fought in the Civil War against those in the South who sought to destroy our great American union. You offend me, Sir, whose own father served in WWll to protect the United States against those who had brazenly attacked us. You offend me, who has voted in every major election in my adult lifetime. Who appointed you, Sir, to judge me, to call my patriotism in question? When you have taken the time to put your own political house in order, then, maybe, you may find fault with mine if you can.

KSL
KSL 07/19/14 - 08:23 am
Bod

You do realize that there are tons of wealthy Democrats who benefit from those very same tax rates.

KSL
KSL 07/19/14 - 08:26 am
Gee eel, so did 3 om my

Gee eel, so did 3 om my ancestors.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/19/14 - 08:32 am
Bod and EEL

Where do you think these evil corporations get the money to pay taxes?
The final consumer (you and me) PAYS ALL TAXES ! The Corporations and businesses only collect he money for the federal government. Most corporations have a profit margin of 3% to 7%. You toe need an economics lesson.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/19/14 - 08:35 am
EEL

What the democrats are doing to this country offends me, SIR/MA'AM!

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/19/14 - 08:40 am
Bod seems to always find

Bod seems to always find something that doesn't tell the entire story or he edits it for his own purposes. I agree, RMS, Bod definitely needs economics 101.

KSL
KSL 07/19/14 - 08:41 am
I am glad it didn't take long

I am glad it didn't take long for them to figure out that the Mayflower Compact didn't work.

By the way, of the 2 younger ones, one lived into her 80's, the other to 90. They had 13 children.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/19/14 - 08:42 am
Mr. Smock is right that many

Mr. Smock is right that many of us knew what this man meant when he said he was going to tranform America. The others were star-struck.

The sad truth is that many are still star-struck.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 07/19/14 - 08:43 am
hoptoad

Please feel free all you wish to be offended by what we Democrats believe. But your views, however sincere and heartfelt, do not make us un-American.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 07/19/14 - 08:45 am
KSL

Gee!, KSL, I guess that makes us equally "American." Which of course was exactly my point.

KSL
KSL 07/19/14 - 08:47 am
hoptoad

There are Obama voters who didn't see the light before his first election. They freely admit they see it now.

KSL
KSL 07/19/14 - 08:48 am
It also might make us kin,

It also might make us kin, very, very distantly.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/19/14 - 08:51 am
EEL

The truth, sometimes, is difficult to except. You have been deceived.....unless, of course, you are indeed a marxist.

KSL
KSL 07/19/14 - 08:53 am
Eel, are you a Democrat or a

Eel, are you a Democrat or a progressive? How do you feel about the Rules For Radicals?

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 07/19/14 - 08:55 am
Point of order....

I would like to remind posters that whatever else Mr. Smock meant to say in his LTE, what is most offensive is his assertion that Democrats, liberals, are somehow un-American. My opinion is, and always has been, that liberals and conservatives have always disagreed over policy directions for the nation, and always will. Nevertheless, we are all Americans concerned for our country. When in the heat of political battle one side trumpets its patriotism while impugning the patriotism of the other, as Mr. Smock does today, I am reminded of the great English conservative Samuel Johnson who observed that "patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 07/19/14 - 09:02 am
RMSHEFF

"deceived" or "Marxist"? That, Sir, is a false dichotomy and a rhetorical trap easily seen through. I am in fact neither deceived nor a Marxist.
I am fully prepared to define and defend my liberal ideas, and do regularly here; and while most posters disagree with them, few I think would claim as you do that I am "deceived." Wrong, but not deceived.
I reject Marxism out of hand as a failed utopian fantasy.

KSL
KSL 07/19/14 - 09:05 am
The Civil War: The only

The Civil War: The only relatives I know of who fought in it, including those by marriage, fought for states' rights.

Jamestown was settled in 1607, Plymouth in 1620, ultimately 2 different types of settlers, 2 different climate conditions, 2 different states. The centralized government shoe does not fit all in a country this big and diverse.

carcraft
carcraft 07/19/14 - 09:07 am
GEE EEL, if I could only

GEE EEL, if I could only figure out what Democrates believe I might be offended. I am mostly offended by what they DO. Obama was all for, open government, cutting federal debt, honesty in government. As President Obama gives us lies, secretive government with secretive agencies, (NSA spying, black out of reporters from illegal alien processing centers, stating members of his political office are immmune from subpoena etc) ran up the debt by $7 trillion dollar's. Want me to go on? Then we have Democratic idiots like Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, all for open boarders until Obama plans to send some illegals to his state. Harry Reid getting up on the Senate floor telling Americans the Boarder is secure. Ried is either insane or stupid beyond belief and thinks the American people are to! On short the Democratic party has become the home of lying, manipulative, hypocritical, incompetent jerks! I am glad you are proud of this mess!

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 07/19/14 - 09:08 am
KSL

I have no idea how you might define either "Democrat" or "progressive."
I suspect whichever term I might agree to would not make you any more willing to give my views a fair hearing. I am a very liberal liberal.

I think Saul Alinsky's handbook for organizing the powerless at the grassroots level could be the model for today's Tea Party tactics.

Bizkit
Bizkit 07/19/14 - 09:12 am
EELGet over you judge letter

EELGet over it you judge letter writers and posters all the time. I find your comment offensive LOL

KSL
KSL 07/19/14 - 09:16 am
It was not a plan to organize

It was not a plan to organize the powerless. He may have called it that.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/19/14 - 09:17 am
"We also can't keep spending

"We also can't keep spending over 50% of the military spending of the entire world"

You're right Bod.....we need to spend MORE right now. The events in the Ukraine, Syria, Iraq, coupled with ISIS and most of the Middle East on fire with radical Islam encouraged and facilitated by Obama's failed (or maybe intentional) foreign policy dictate that we build up our military....not dismantle it at this time.

deestafford
deestafford 07/19/14 - 09:17 am
Mr Smock, Once again you have written a great letter...

Mr. Smock, Once again you have written a great letter that hits the nail on the head.

Obama deceived many people into believing he was somehow different than what he is. The ones who were deceived, there were some on the right as well as most of the left, failed to look at his background and record to see what he really was. He was so slick that no body had the guts to look behind the facade. Like a magician, he relied on people to see what they wanted to see rather than what is real.

Obama promised a period of prosperity, bipartisanship, and things would get better for America. We got:

--five years of reckless spending

--a wholesale assault on domestic energy industries

--endless abuses of executive authority and other lawless incursions on the Constitution.

--unprecedented divisiveness and polarizations across economic, racial and gender lines

--America's declining power and prestige in the world

--an explosion in the welfare state

--the worst economic recovery in 60 years

We can expect thing it only get worse since he doesn't have to face the voters again. All he has to do now is cater to and implement the desires his real constituency---the radical left who are fellow followers of Alynski and adherents to the Cloward -Pevin strategy. The former is known as the father of the community organizers (originally known as community agitators) and the latter were professors under whom Obama studied at Columbia University.

ymnbde
ymnbde 07/19/14 - 09:20 am
a marxist can never be anything but a marxist

"Darkness at Noon" by Arthur Koestler shows how these people
work and think
they use everything- race relations, the economy, religion, food prices...
to promote their own agenda
they have ruined many countries, but even after so much failure,
marxists still have the audacity to think they're the ones
the ones the world has been waiting for
"audacity" speaks
"...the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on Earth."
my goodness...marxism speaking

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/19/14 - 09:31 am
Dee,

been waiting to see your comment which is always dead center of the bulls eye.

effete elitist liberal
effete elitist liberal 07/19/14 - 09:34 am
Bizit

"Get over it!"? Yes, I do judge posters' posts, frequently. I hope I critique their ideas and arguments, not question their patriotism or how "American" they are. Big difference.

deestafford
deestafford 07/19/14 - 09:45 am
EEL, Let me try to explain why I think you are offended....

EEL, Let me try to explain why I think you are offended and hurt by some of the comments here based on the long and proud linage of patriots you have in your family tree.

I think you maybe somewhat mentally stuck in a time warp.

You see, today's democrats and liberals are not the democrats and liberals of yesterday. Beginning with the Progressive Movement of Teddy Roosevelt and then going through the liberals of Wilson, FDR, JFK, and LBJ these leftists for the most part loved America and what it stood for. They did not want to tear down America. They just wanted to make some changes.

Beginning in the middle to late 1960's the radical left took over the Democratic party. These people did not like what America stood for and wanted to destroy what the country was built upon. These people want to tear down America. Just look at what their goals are in relation to the Constitution. They chose to ignore it.

Obama and Hillary are products of this movement. They do not want to follow the Constitution because they believe it is not relevant since it was written by, "slave holding, white men". They do not believe in the equal division of the three branches of government as established by the Founders.

One has to go no further than Obama's words of "if Congress does not act and do what I want, I will go around them" to see he believes more in the rule of man than he does in the rule of law--that being the Constitution. He believes that he and he alone knows what is best and if Congress and the Constitution are impediments he will act by ignoring both.

EEL, I hope that you will look and see that the Democratic party has been seized by people who are radically different from your ancestors and most likely different from what your brave ancestors fought. I would bet your ancestors believed in what the Founders believed and not what Obama, Holder, Valerie Jarrett et al. believed.

One more point, Alynski was one who wanted to destroy America. His tactics were not just organizing for action, but tactics organizing for destruction. Hillary was a disciple of Alynski and had met with him personally and she has never waivered from her belief in him and his goals.

deestafford
deestafford 07/19/14 - 09:41 am
What a great discussion we are having this morning...

What a great discussion we are having this morning. The letters to the editor and the editorial are super discussion points.

I wish I could stay and participate in the back and forth but I must take my daughter to the Outdoor show at the James Brown Arena as I promised.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/19/14 - 09:44 am
Dee

Thoughtful and accurate post. I hope all of the liberals think about what you said. The main point is that liberals in the past loved America but the progressives that now control the democratic party are against the founding principles of America and seek to destroy her.