Lies come from both sides

I’m beginning to get a little more concerned about the editorial staff at The Augusta Chronicle these days. I realize it’s a Republican paper (I did not say conservative), but good journalism should be halfway fair. I sent in a letter to the paper concerning the article “Conservative challenges” by the staff in the June 29 paper, but the article “Lies and the age of cynicism” goes way beyond fairness. You want to talk about lies? Here are a few:

When the Iran-Contra affair occurred, President Reagan said he didn’t know anything about it. The Democrats formed an investigative committee like the present Republican Benghazi one. President George H.W. Bush granted pardons to six Reagan administration officials, including former Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger, effectively ending the investigation. We all believed that lie.

Secretary of State Colin Powell gave a speech to the U.N. Security Council about weapons of mass destruction, knowing it was wrong, and it ruined an otherwise great career. President George W. Bush gave a similar speech in Cincinnati, knowing it was wrong. Big and costly lies.

Young female soldier Jessica Lynch was seriously hurt when the truck she was riding in overturned. It was reported by the Bush administration that she went down firing her weapon, killing Iraqi soldiers. Exactly the opposite. The soldiers actually saved her life, taking her to a hospital. They also lied about her rescue. No SWAT team was used, as a doctor told them where she was, and they walked in and carried her out.

Then there’s the lie about former Arizona Cardinals football player Pat Tillman, who joined the Army and was killed in action by the enemy. After several months the truth came out. He was killed by friendly fire.

All I’m saying: Be halfway fair in that kind of editorial. We know a lie when we see one, on both sides of the aisle.

Jim McGaughy

Aiken, S.C.

ymnbde
ymnbde 07/17/14 - 06:03 am
and the best lies are lies about lies

as this letter indicates
because HILLARY VOTED FOR THE IRAQ WAR!
as did many democrats, it was truly bi-partisan
an investigative committee like Benghazi! ha!
liberals were out for Reagan's blood, and only found enough improper behavior to get a few slight scratches... it was the least scandal of any President
there were no stained little blue dresses on his watch
you had to reach down to Jessica Lynch for examples of lies by Republicans?
wow... those Republicans must be quite truthful
judging by the failure of this letter
so do go on...
if you like your lies, you can keep your lies

Pond Life
Pond Life 07/17/14 - 06:21 am
Any time a liberal says "both

Any time a liberal says "both sides lie" it is their attempt to rationalize the lies that they, themselves told. It's like a kid at school saying "oh yeah, well Billy did it too!"

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/17/14 - 06:36 am
Every single time Dems are

Every single time Dems are caught with their hands in the cookie jars, they start hollering that Mr. Bush did or Mr. Reagan did it. In the first place, YMNBDE is right - the Republican presidents' lies were either manufactured by the dems or were found to be so minor that nothing needed any serious action.

When the dems deflect their lies or poor policies by blaming past presidents, I am reminded of what my mother said when I was a younster - "If Johnny jumped off a cliff, would you?" and the other one we learned at Bible Study - "Two wrongs don't make a right".

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/17/14 - 06:45 am
Mr. letter writer

If you know a lie when you see one, how come you're still a democrat and if you're so good at spotting a lie, why can't you spot the half truths like some of the ones you've cited?

carcraft
carcraft 07/17/14 - 07:12 am
Not much else to add. Good

Not much else to add. Good posts!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/17/14 - 07:35 am
Not Exactly Accurate

The military was the culprit, not the Bush administration, in some of the things the writer mentions, by the way. Pat Tillman and Jessica Lynch, for instance. With the weapons of mass destruction it's a fact the CIA said they were there. Also some non nuclear wmds were found.

What we have with the Obama administration is major orchestrated lies and months long deception over Benghazi in order to get Obama reelected.

Pond Life
Pond Life 07/17/14 - 07:42 am
WMD's

If there were no WMD's, then how did ISIS take control of them recently?

carcraft
carcraft 07/17/14 - 07:54 am
I like that I can keep my

I like that I can keep my lies unlike my health insurance, thanks Ymnbde, was there a period after that?

deestafford
deestafford 07/17/14 - 08:06 am
If one looks closely at the lies of this administration...

Assume that both sides tell lies, and they do, look at the intent and you will see different motives---one is to protect or lift up and the other is to tear down or put down. The left is a master of the latter, but there appears to be some breaks in the curtain of deceit even by the liberal panting media.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/17/14 - 08:30 am
When all the facts finally

When all the facts finally come out history will record that Obama was the most corrupt and lease transparent president of all presidents. He cannot be honest because 80% of the people would reject his true goals.

faithson
faithson 07/17/14 - 08:54 am
his true goals.

as described by whom ? Right wing zealots that bombard the AM airwaves with hate and derision. I'm not saying there are NO problems with this administration, but some of the 'junk' that comes out reminds me of those who believe the earth is 6000 years old, sure if that's what your preacher/pundit tells you, but please don't expect those of us who live in the 21st century to follow along.

ITALIAN
ITALIAN 07/17/14 - 09:14 am
lies

wmds how come we did not find them all the years we were in Iraq!Getting our service men and women killed and crippled !

deestafford
deestafford 07/17/14 - 09:16 am
faith, Do you have any examples?...

faith, Do you have any examples to support your claims? Also, can you give some examples of what Obama and his followers have done to improve America and build on its founding principles?

If you do come with examples of anything good you think Obama has done, would you include what portion of the Constitution support the action? Look forward to hearing from you.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/17/14 - 09:45 am
"wmds how come we did not

"wmds how come we did not find them all the years we were in Iraq!"

Because Saddam Hussein moved them to Syria when the United Nations authorized the invasion of Iraq and now ISIS has captured them there after Obama set Syria and most of the Middle East on fire with his failed foreign policy of supporting the radical Muslim groups during the "Arab Spring" because of his radical Muslim sympathies.

jimmymac
jimmymac 07/17/14 - 10:36 am
WMD

The Clinton administration thought Saddam had WMD's long before Bush was in office. Saddam also said he had WMD's. If there was a failure it was in the Intel that was given stating that WMD's existed. That was caused by Clinton decimating our covert Intel operations worldwide. Dems along with Hillary also voted to go into Iraq so Bush didn't go it alone as revisionist Democrats would have you believe. A little honesty would go a long way but I long ago gave up getting that from Democrats.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/17/14 - 12:03 pm
When you're

a politician, the only truth that matters is the truth that pays for your lavish lifestyle. Would you care to guess why politics garners so much interest from lowyers? You have ambulance chasers and obama butt kissing chasers.

Pond Life
Pond Life 07/17/14 - 12:15 pm
Italian. How did ISIS find

Italian. How did ISIS find them if they weren't there? It's easy to NOT find something that IS there. It is IMPOSSIBLE to find something that IS NOT there. ISIS found them, therefore they must be there. Don't you see the difference?

Pond Life
Pond Life 07/17/14 - 12:34 pm
Faithson. Why is your THEORY

Faithson. Why is your THEORY on the age of the Earth any better than someone elses? Just like the liberals....."they have a different theory than I do, therefore you can't believe ANYTHING they say."

carcraft
carcraft 07/17/14 - 02:03 pm
Faithson, I can easily show

Faithson, I can easily show you how the universe is only 6,000 years old. It all depends on our perspective. Here is an interesting article if you are interested. http://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.aish.com/ci/sam/48951136.html&r... By the way, the author of this article is a scientist.

carcraft
carcraft 07/17/14 - 02:14 pm
How can we know Obama's true

How can we know Obama's true agenda? By his words and actions. He stated he would make coal fired plants so costly you would go broke operating them. Well The EPA got slapped down for trying to rewrite laws. Georgia power has closed two coal fired plants because the cost of making them EPA compliant. If all of Obama's EPA and anti coal activites take effect energy costs are going to steeply increase. Obama has spent billions of failed alternative energy programs. Obama has repeatly violated the Constitution and laws of America . The latest is his assertion that members of his newly created political office are immune from subpoenas. The health care laws, including statutory portions have been rewritten by Obama. Obama thought he could tell the Congress when it was in session and when it wasn't. I could go on for a long time . It is clear Obama doesn't respect or care about our system of government and thinks our constitution is flawed because it is prohibative instead of proscritive!

Darby
Darby 07/17/14 - 03:15 pm
The title of this letter to the editor is

remarkably on target, given that it's no more than a rehash of old liberal lies and contains not one word of truth.

Mr. McGaughy is to be commended for his loyalty to liberalism.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/17/14 - 05:20 pm
"If one looks closely at the

"If one looks closely at the lies of this administration one will see they have the purposes of subjugating the people and their rights in one form or another, increasing the power of government, and chipping away at the founding principles upon which this country was built."

"Chipping away" - wow if that were only true! Chipping away is what we've seen from every democrat president since, at least, Wilson; and a whole slew of Republican's also.

What we have with Obama & Company is a full-out, frontal assault in addition to the normal sneaky "slip it in when they ain't looking" back door chipping away.

deestafford
deestafford 07/17/14 - 05:54 pm
Young Fred, Yeah, I knew that the word "chipping"...

Young Fred, Yeah, I knew that the word "chipping" was too weak as soon as I typed it. "Dynamiting" might have been a more accurate connotation.

corgimom
corgimom 07/17/14 - 05:58 pm
Excuse me, Darby, but in

Excuse me, Darby, but in Jessica Lynch's own autobiography, she says that she didn't fire her gun and didn't resist capture- which is against her Army oath. Her gun was under a blanket so that it wouldn't get sand in it.

And it's true, she was badly injured, and if she hadn't been taken to the hospital, she would've died. She has permanent injuries from the crash.

There is nothing liberal about that and I don't know why you think that is a "liberal" statement.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/17/14 - 06:06 pm
""Dynamiting" might have been

""Dynamiting" might have been a more accurate connotation."

Ha!
Heck, they might have to invent a new word to accurately describe the assault our country is currently enduring!

Pond Life
Pond Life 07/17/14 - 06:58 pm
"Excuse me, Darby, but in

"Excuse me, Darby, but in Jessica Lynch's own autobiography, she says that she didn't fire her gun and didn't resist capture- which is against her Army oath. "

I see you never actually read the oath.

Pond Life
Pond Life 07/17/14 - 07:08 pm
"I, _____, do solemnly swear

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Nope....nothing in there that says you have to resist capture. It is your duty, but clearly not in the oath.

Chuck Odom
Chuck Odom 07/17/14 - 07:32 pm
Thanks Pond Life

I rarely if ever post on here. I was about to correct Corgimom on the Army oath but you beat me to it.

Pond Life
Pond Life 07/17/14 - 07:37 pm
Correcting Corgi can be a

Correcting Corgi can be a full time job. :-)

Chuck Odom
Chuck Odom 07/17/14 - 07:41 pm
I've noticed that. Especially

I've noticed that. Especially when it comes to her knowledge of the Army which, at times, doesn't seem to extend much past spelling it.