Gay pride is offensive

The following email, complete with an Enterprise SRS header, was circulated several times over the Savannah River Nuclear Site mail server last month:

“To: SRS Employees

“SRS GLOBE LGBT Pride Program

“The Savannah River Site’s Observance of SRS GLOBE annual LGBT Pride and Award Program will be held Wednesday, June 25, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in SRNL Conference Center, 703-41A, Room 136 (Ellenton Room).

“The guest speaker, Jeffrey Graham, Executive Director of the Equality Foundation of Georgia, will present ‘Same Love: The Movement for the Freedom to Marry.’ Assistant Secretary of Energy for Economic Impact and Diversity, Dot Harris, will also address the audience. The highlight of the program will be the presentation of the SRS GLOBE Award for Promoting Diversity at the Savannah River Site.”

There also were fliers posted in multiple entrances on-site promoting this event. For those who are unaware of GLOBE, it stands for Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual Employees and Allies Association.

During the annual National Day of Prayer, the local SRS meeting must be held outdoors in the heat; no fliers at the entrances; no outside speakers; and all coordinating and advertising the event must be done on the employees’ own time. The reason? Apparently it is not ethical to spend taxpayers’ money or resources on religious activities.

If taxpayers’ money can’t be spent to pray for blessings on this nation, then I have a major problem with it being spent to push someone’s sexual agenda. And I don’t think I am the only one who feels this way.

carcraft
carcraft 07/09/14 - 07:44 am
Now we find that gays have

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 07/09/14 - 08:09 am
tyranny

They are all out of the closet but want to shove anyone that disagrees with them into the closet. That is not equality or tolerance, as they say they want. That is tyranny, plain and simple. Regardless of if you believe in God or not, or if you accept the truth or not, the fact of the matter is that homosexual behavior is immoral. Men having sex with men and women having sex with women is againts the natural law and who we were created to be. That being said, this does not mean that men or women with same sex attractions are evil people. It's jus the homosexual act itselt that is an aberration. They seek love, acceptance and happiness like all of us do. But they are confused as to where to find it. Why are they confused? Who knows. Some chose it, some slowly evolve into it. Either way, we still have an obligation to speak the truth in and out of fashion. Call us biggots, call us hateful, call us what you wish. Truth is truth.

blh
blh 07/09/14 - 10:07 am
"You agree not to make racist, obscene or hateful remarks."

I consider almost every single remark made here to be bigoted, ignorant, obscene and hateful. And I blame the Augusta Chronicle for fomenting and encouraging such hatred. Apparently it is ok to direct such hatred at a large group of people as long as it isn't directed at one individual. What an embarrassment you are to our educational system. As for you high and might "Bible believing" churches: According to the American Bible Society’s 2014 "State of the Bible" report, a majority of U.S. adults (81 percent) said they consider themselves highly, moderately or somewhat knowledgeable about the Bible. Yet less than half (43 percent) were able to name the first five books of the Bible. The report also showed that only half knew that John the Baptist was not one of the 12 apostles, while roughly 82 percent believe “God helps those who help themselves” is a biblical verse.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 07/09/14 - 11:39 am
I have a friend who is

I have a friend who is lesbian, and she does not try to shove it down my throat, nor does she thump the Bible at me telling me I should accept her lifestyle. She is a very dear friend, who I care about immensely. I have the utmost respect for her because she keeps her personal business HER BUSINESS, and does not seek to advertise it for the world to see Perhaps Christians would be more tolerant of [filtered word] if everyone acted like her, rather than PROUDLY displaying a lifestyle that clearly goes against nature. (Sorry...but 2 women and 2 men do not physically fit together as a man and a woman). She can be who she wants to be, and NO ONE is mistreating her for it because she doesn't EXPECT or DEMAND others to conform to her lifestyle.

If anyone wants to live that lifestyle, then fine, go right ahead. But don't point fingers at me for following my Jesus who clearly defined it as a sin, AND gave His life on the cross to pay for EVERY sin.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 07/09/14 - 11:42 am
@blh....your statistics are

@blh....your statistics are sad, but so true. I know people who call themselves Christians who can't even name a book of the Bible, let alone know anything about it. On judgement day, Christ will separate the sheep from the goats. The sheep are the ones who will recognize his voice.

carcraft
carcraft 07/09/14 - 12:04 pm
blh I hope you understand

blh I hope you understand that homosexual sin is no worse or better than my lusting, my envy, or any other failing of the flesh. But I don't expect the government to orher sin it or the church to celebrate other sin.

cush1944
cush1944 07/09/14 - 12:28 pm
"I have the utmost respect

"I have the utmost respect for her because she keeps her personal business HER BUSINESS, and does not seek to advertise it for the world to see Perhaps Christians would be more tolerant of [filtered word] if everyone acted like her, rather than PROUDLY displaying a lifestyle that clearly goes against nature."
VERY WELL SAID!!!

OJP
OJP 07/09/14 - 04:02 pm
@nocnoc

"However, the parade needs to be held to the SAME LEVEL of decency, Behavior and exposure as any public gathering on public streets would be."

Ah - you've clearly never even attended the parade you are decrying as indecent. The Augusta Pride is about as tame as a parade can get (and certainly more tame than a Mardi Gras parade or your average day at the beach).

OJP
OJP 07/09/14 - 04:04 pm
@carcraft

"Now we find that gays have greater mental health problems than heterosexuals and higher incidences of drug abuse etc. http://psychcentral.com/lib/higher-risk-of-mental-health-problems-for-ho... So yes they do need something to celebrate to help overcome their problems."

Well - maybe if people like you would quit telling homosexuals they are "wrong" or are going to "burn in Hell", they would have less mental problems.

OJP
OJP 07/09/14 - 04:07 pm
@blh

You are correct. The height of absurdity is the Chronicle screening comments as disrespectful when they allow something like this letter to be posted.

But it's all about the money, I'm sure. Newspapers are a dying business model so it's less and less about the right thing, and more and more about the profitable thing.

OJP
OJP 07/09/14 - 04:10 pm
@Godisgood

If you don't see heterosexuality being blasted at us from every corner of society, then you truly have blinders on. Homosexuals are still afraid to hold hands in public and you have the nerve to attack them for having one day.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 07/09/14 - 04:32 pm
&OJP Do you think I'm not

@OJP Do you think I'm not offended by the sexual commercials that are on TV? I am! TV offends me on a daily basis, which is exactly why I stick to The Waltons, LIttle House on the Prairie, the news, etc.

I don't recall saying anything about the pride parade, although obviously I don't agree with it, and did not attend, nor would I ever.

The one in Augusta may have been decent with no PDA, but I happened to be driving through downtown Atlanta in the early 90's while a gay parade was in process. There were men holding hands and kissing in public...it was sickening. So Augusta is clearly not the norm for all pride parades.

And, I might add, I am offended to see any 2 people hanging all over each other when they could take their business somewhere private. Nobody needs to see that mess...gay or straight. It belongs behind closed doors. Period.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 07/09/14 - 04:36 pm
Perhaps we should hold a

Perhaps we should hold a pride parade for child molesters, adulterers, fornicators, gluttons, thieves, drug addicts, prositutes, pimps, and the list goes on and on. if a sin is a sin, we can all be proud, right?

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 07/09/14 - 05:05 pm
@ OJP 5:07

I hear this a lot, but I'm not responsible for the letter to the editor. I am responsible for online comments. I give as much leeway as possible, but I'm more than happy to remove comments for personal insults to other commenters and hateful rhetoric. The problem with people on the far left and far right is that they think anything they disagree with is hateful.

carcraft
carcraft 07/09/14 - 06:06 pm
I have not condemned any one.

I have not condemned any one. As a matter of fact I have admitted that I sin. I do pray for God's mercy and ask those who sin to also seek God's mercy. Nobody's sin is better or worse than any other. I have pointed out the benefits in believing in God and worshipping him supported by studies.

tazman
tazman 07/09/14 - 10:58 pm
The answer is simple. No

The answer is simple. No group should have more rights than another. A government site is not the place to support , endorse or allow a group of people to encourage or promote their sexual or lifestyle preference. They were allowed more freedom to promote this event than other groups have been allowed. They use a SRS.gov website to promote their group. If this is not put to a stop than it is only fair to allow other groups and lifestyles the same chance to promote, celebrate and use of the SRS.gov website for their agenda. As a citizen of the CSRA I would ask for this to be brought to an immediate stop. Or post that is allowable for other lifestyles like Heterosexual marriage groups, a pro American group etc. If sexual preference is a lifestyle than so is the belief in God and Christian morals and practices. Think about it SRNS the CSRA is watching and waiting for a statement on this matter.

Local merchants welcome Small Business Saturday

With having to compete with e-commerce and national retailers during the holiday season, local merchants welcome the spotlight that comes with Small Business Saturday.