Court robs citizens' rights

In ages past, small fiefdoms existed within larger kingdoms. The lord of the fief had total say over the lives of his serfs. Of course with this new age upon us, the age of the rights of men, all men being equal and all, these arrangements no longer exist. Or do they?

The highest court in our country recently has said that corporations (fiefdoms) can impose their beliefs on their employees (serfs), and if these people want to continue to make a living for their families they will abide by the will of their employers.

It’s the loss of their rights as citizens.

deestafford
deestafford 07/08/14 - 12:47 am
If the writer is writing about the Hobby-Lobby Case...

If the writer is writing about the Hobby-Lobby Case he should get his facts straight first. There were no rights as citizens taken away from anyone.

Women still have access to 16 or 20 contraceptive means being paid by Hobby-Lobby and if they want to have the abortion inducing other four they are free to go down the street and buy them.

By the way, serfs have no choice on where they work. Hobby-Lobby does not go out and kidnap people and force them to work in their stores. People exercise a concept that is an anathema to the left...called free will. Which means a person can work anywhere they want as long as they are qualified and there is a job opening.

carcraft
carcraft 07/08/14 - 03:22 am
Deestafford, when the left

Deestafford, when the left has nothing else they resort to lies. My employer restricts my rights all the time, but pays me for my skill and time.Should I lie about it?

zippy
zippy 07/08/14 - 04:22 am
The decision is not about the

The decision is not about the employees rights at all. They are still, and have always been free, to use the day after pill or any other contraceptive method. This even includes abortion. Its just that the employer does not have to pay for it. Its as simple as that. It still kills me that people feel like they are entitled to have their employer pay for anything other than wages.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/08/14 - 07:08 am
Some have lost even their

Some have lost even their desire to be honest. No freedoms have been lost by anyone ! No ones beliefs are "imposed" on anyone else! No ones is kept from making a living for their family ! The only rights that were threatened were those being forced to pay for something that violated their faith.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/08/14 - 08:03 am
During my working years, I

During my working years, I didn't walk into my boss's office and demand certain rights. The company I worked for told ME what my rights would be - dress codes, the hours I would work, the time I would be allowed to take breaks, lunch and so on.

This writer is a product of dem-media.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 07/08/14 - 08:31 am
when the poor left has no

when the poor left has no legit grip...they resort to LIES...no one has lost their rights...no one is being denied 1 dog gone thing...the only problem is that the left lives in some kinda fantasy land and expects to have all their wants granted...and paid for by someone else...when will they grow up and accept responsibility?

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/08/14 - 08:55 am
As Citizen of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

#1 I have a RIGHT to pray, worship and conduct my daily activities in accordance to my beliefs.

#2 As a Citizen of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA you have a right to work where you please.

Why do liberals have a problem with #1, and forget the solution is #2?

jimmymac
jimmymac 07/08/14 - 08:58 am
WRITER

I hope people like this writer keep commenting about the recent SCOTUS decision. It shows how woefully ignorant they are about the very decision they're complaining about. Are all democrats that dumb or just the ones writing letters?

corgimom
corgimom 07/08/14 - 09:06 am
So if you work for a

So if you work for a Scientologist, and your doctor prescribes you antidepressants, will you be ok if they say "We refuse to pay for this because it's against our religious beliefs"?

Or if you need open heart surgery and you work for a Jehovah's Witness, and they say "We aren't paying for the blood transfusion, it's against our religious beliefs"?

This has established a very sad, dangerous precedent. What happens if you work for a Catholic that doesn't believe in any birth control, ever?

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/08/14 - 09:07 am
"This writer is a product of

"This writer is a product of dem-media."

DEM-MENTIA is more like it.

corgimom
corgimom 07/08/14 - 09:08 am
Corporations are set up to

Corporations are set up to protect individuals from having their assets seized in case of lawsuits. So now an intangible legal entity has religious rights?

ralphinga
ralphinga 07/08/14 - 09:20 am
How sad...

The SCOTUS decision was very specific. The intentional misrepresentation of that decision is being done for a reason, and not out of ignorance. The decision applied only to closely held private corporations, not those that are publicly traded on Wall Street or elsewhere.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/08/14 - 10:06 am
Hey Mike!

There's lots of fiefs around. If you don't like what one provides for you to live your life as you like, you can go pick another to pay you to live your life exactly as you like.

It's not up to the fief to support a way of life it holds as wrong. Go find a fief that has your standards, because there are far more that do have than than don't.

Which is almost certainly why our nation is being flushed down the toilet more rapidly with each passing day. Most of us live like hungry animals in never-ending rut, so why is it surprising that things are absolutely wild?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 07/08/14 - 10:08 am
the left argues the absurd to

the left argues the absurd to make the normal seem wrong...one could argue if it had gone the other way that HOBBY LOBBY could be responsible to pay for sex changes...it was narrow desicion and crafted so by a law signed by clinton in 93, that for the left to go ape over is really absurd and silly...no one has ever paid for my wife and i birth control BUT us...its private and our business..no one else...

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 07/08/14 - 10:58 am
corgimon

If you don't like the terms and conditions of employment you are "free" to chose go somewhere else or you can purchase the coverage you lack from elsewhere. You talk as if people are so incapable of making their own decisions and providing for themselves.You want to use the power of the government to dictate to employers what they must do. The best decision is for employers not to offer health insurance at all and pay their employees more money so they can buy their own healthcare in a free market. I am sure you think people are not smart enough to do this on their own and need smart people like you to direct them. How did we ever survive before progressives directed our life?

historylover
historylover 07/08/14 - 11:15 am
Self Paid Health Insurance

Here is how I feel on the Hobby Lobby ruling. If I am paying for my own insurance, regardless of where I work, then I should be allowed to pick the type and scope of my coverage. I certainly have had that option at every place I've ever worked that offered insurance. I could pick Plan A or Plan B, etc. to cover what I personally needed.

ymnbde
ymnbde 07/08/14 - 12:27 pm
oh, historylover, you're not paying for your own insurance

you may subsidize your own insurance, but your employer is paying most of it
and if they don't want to end a human life, they can't be forced to
by the marxist plan a or the marxist plan b

burninater
burninater 07/08/14 - 02:18 pm
Hobby Lobby directly invests

Hobby Lobby directly invests in, and profits from, the companies that make these very drugs they claim to oppose.

How can an objection be "religious" if you deliberately invest in the manufacture and distribution of these drugs for personal profit?

carcraft
carcraft 07/08/14 - 05:00 pm
Corgimom, the Jehovah's

Corgimom, the Jehovah's Witness and Scientology argument is a red herring and not brought up in the Supreme Court. In the 60 or so years os Scientology and 100 or so years of Jehovah's Witness there has never been an issue. People at Hobby Lobby can get 16 different types of birth control. My hearing aid selection is limited to three. The Doctors I can see are limited to those on an insurance net work, same for hospitals. When people lost their health insurance under Obama Care they were told they didn't have a right to any policy they wanted.

Darby
Darby 07/08/14 - 11:36 pm
"The highest court in our country recently

has said that corporations (fiefdoms) can impose their beliefs on their employees (serfs), and if these people want to continue to make a living for their families they will abide by the will of their employers."

Talk about a silly thesis... or a really poor analogy.

1) In ages past... One would need to pack up his belongings, his family and move to escape the "fiefdom". Today, all he need do is find another fiefdom (job).

2) My rights as a "serf" do not trump the rights of another serf or those of the "Lord" of the fief (corporation).

3) Fiefdoms (businesses) DO NOT exist to give others employment. They exist to create a product or service, and turn a profit for their owner. Any jobs created are nothing more than a side benefit.

No one who creates a business (fiefdom) would hire a single employee (serf) if he didn't have too. Employees (serfs) are a cost of doing business that have to be subtracted from income in order to determine profit or loss.

If it bothers you that much Mr. Ferguson, get off your duff and look for a fiefdom that suits you better.

And stop playing the "damsel in distress" looking for a "White Knight" to champion your misguided cause and joust for you. Stand on your own two feet.

Raises vary widely for GRU administrators

While there has been an overall 6 percent increase in administrative pay at Georgia Regents University since it was created by consolidation, raises and promotions have caused vastly different ...