Vote for David Perdue

I recently met with David Perdue, a Republican U.S. Senate candidate in the July 22 runoff election – in large part because of an invitation, and the fact that he didn’t charge me to be in his presence. His opponent, U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston – a 22-year Washington, D.C., establishment fixture who campaigned in 1992 promising support of term limits – charges a speaking fee. I was very impressed with Perdue’s intelligence; modesty; sincerity; life story; decades-long record of job creation; and dedication to God and country.

I hear many Republicans’ critique U.S. Rep. John Barrow and his votes to spend inordinate sums of money while producing no results, especially regarding the Port of Savannah. They’re correct. Kingston has been in Washington longer than Barrow, and has “represented” the Savannah area much longer than Barrow has. And the list goes on, but why support Kingston and condemn Barrow? Both have been in the House’s majority, so what’s the deal?

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has endorsed Kingston over Perdue because Kingston votes as it wishes 100 percent of the time, and expects for that to continue should he be elected to the upper chamber and its six-year term, vs. his two-year terms in the House. The Chamber supports the federal government’s takeover of local education, i.e., Common Core, and it supports the Senate’s bill granting amnesty to illegal aliens. Michelle Nunn supports them, too.

Kingston has spent millions on political mailings containing outlandish claims about Perdue. If they are true, so be it, and let Perdue explain his record. But Kingston’s claims have been proved false by factcheck.org and media outlets. He bombards us with false tales, hoping that some will stick, and that we’re too ignorant to seek facts. After 22 years in Washington, one would think that mailings contain facts about results. Nope!

Kingston is a typical Washington insider and an indentured servant to lobbyists. He may have voted certain ways, but that’s all – no results, and no swaying others to see the light. It’s all about him and his next election – just like Barrow.

Lee Benedict

Martinez

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/05/14 - 06:47 am
I will never vote for someone

I will never vote for someone who trashes another candidate without some hard and true facts to back up the tripe he/she spews. Perdue is a businessman therefore, possibly knows how to run a tight ship. He should be given a chance to show if he can steer things in the right direction.

I was not aware of Kingston's long tenure, and I agree it's time for him to go.

deestafford
deestafford 07/05/14 - 07:10 am
I too think it's time for a change...

I too think it's time for a change. No matter who they are after someone has been in DC a long time the slime has penetrated their pores and they have gone "native".

Good people go to DC saying they will stay only a few terms and then come back home; however, they get there and are able to touch those levers of power and one day get to pull some and BAM they become indespensible and must stay there for "the benefit of the folks back home".

I have got to the point that if the Chamber of Commerce is supporting someone I'm against them...unless the opponent is a Democrat.

There's a saying, "Diapers and politicians should be changed often for the same reason." It's time for new blood.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/14 - 07:28 am
Not so fast

I want to hear more from both candidates...Perdue has some problems too.

I want to see them in debates.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/05/14 - 07:35 am
Perdue

I've heard he has some problems, but at least he may put forth a good effort being the "new kid on the block".

Let's face it, nowadays anyone who runs for public office probably has problems and/or ulterior motives for wanting to be in DC.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/14 - 08:00 am
Debates please

Face each other!

southern2
southern2 07/05/14 - 10:45 am
Agree it is time to vote the

Agree it is time to vote the incumbents out even if it is a different seat for Kingston BUT the fact that Perdue has the Sonny (lied to get elected) relations is a problem for me.

Saw David and Sonny making the rounds on TV during the primary and ended my support.

Still undecided in runoff.

sand gnat
sand gnat 07/05/14 - 01:04 pm
We Need Jack

We need Jack Kingston in the U.S. Senate. He is the only candidate that has a proven track record of working for his constituents. If I am correct, I don't think that Mr. Perdue has held any publically elected office of any type. I also question his ties to his cousin, Sonny, who was involved in some very questionable land deals while serving as governor. I thought that Perdue resided in middle Ga., but I recently learned that he is a heavy weight residing on Sea Island, Ga. Don't get fooled.

Lee Benedict
Lee Benedict 07/05/14 - 02:51 pm
Middle, GA, Sea Island...

so? Not voting for Perdue because of something that Sonny did or allegedly did is ludicrous at best, as is not voting for him because he may or may not have a residence in Sea Island. Kingston has produced NO results. The Port of Savannah? Jack has had 22 years and has nothing of significance to speak of. If he did, he would have put that in his mailings. I received five Jack Kingston hit pieces in two weeks; most of which are lies, plain and simple. Factcheck.org, AJC, Macon Telegraph, all exposed Jack's lies. Where was the alleged conservative Kingston when Obama was shredding the Constitution? Was Jack Kingston calling for impeachment? Nope. Jack was pleading his case that we should tweak Obamacare. What a pathetic joke. Jack does not want to get rid of it...he wants to fix it. Any conservative, or moderate for that matter, KNOWS that Obamacare cannot be fixed and the only American thing to do would be to scrap it. Jack Kingston bombards us with his mailings containing countless lies. Jack Kingston wants to save Obamacare. Jack Kingston is the US Chamber of Commerce's boy-do, and oh by the way, the Chamber is a liberal organization that supports Common Core, amnesty, TSPLOST, and the list goes on. THUS FAR, NO ONE WHO SUPPORTS KINGSTON HAS BEEN ABLE TO TELL ME ONE THING HE ACCOMPLISHED IN HIS 22 YEARS IN CONGRESS. I don't want flowery rhetoric or "working for his constituents"...what's that? Give specifics as to what he has DONE. Remember, any rhesus monkey can vote "yea" or "nay", but it takes a public servant to actually get things done. If elected, Jack Kingston will be another Saxby Chambliss or another John Hardy Isakson, which, we do not need. David Perdue has come to our area numerous times - has Kingston? When he has, you had to pay to get in. If Kingston wins on the 22nd, he will lose in November because many conservatives will not vote for him as we know that his voting record will 90% mirror Michelle Nunn's. So please spare us the "we have to keep the seat" song and dance. If the "R" votes with Obama's and Reid's wishes with 90% efficiency, "R" and "D" do not matter. Jack Kingston is a disgrace and his campaign has proven as much with its pathetic mailings and idiotic commercials.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/05/14 - 03:04 pm
Sand Gnat: "If I am correct,

Sand Gnat: "If I am correct, I don't think that Mr. Perdue has held any publically elected office of any type. "

Well, Sand Gnat, to paraphrase a great talk show host who wanted to be president, "all the politicians in Washington have held an elected public office, how's that working for us?"
As far as his association with Sonny, they are family and until there's proof of David doing wrong, I'm going to assume it's like any other family that has a shady relative. Maybe Sonny's family has forgiven him and just decided not to throw him to curb.

sand gnat
sand gnat 07/06/14 - 11:53 am
I'm just saying

There is 2 sides to every story. The Chronicle posted this opinion letter Ad for Perdue. They also give us the opportunity to respond. I'm gun shy of democratic families that turn republican. That's my response. I don't see where Perdue has voted for anything in his career. If I am wrong, please accept my apologies. If he had served on the county commission, state house, state senate, U.S. house or local school board, we would know more. No doubt he is a nice guy. But he only got 16% of the vote in his home county of Glynn. Doesn't say much about his grass level community involvement down there. Regardless, I will be supporting the winner of the primary in the general election.

Lee Benedict
Lee Benedict 07/07/14 - 10:24 am
Ad?

It's a letter to the Editor...something a supporter of Kingston is welcome to submit. Again, SPECIFICS as to what Kingston has done, what he accomplished. David knows and has experienced first-hand what Washington, DC cronyism and dereliction of duty has done to business and those in search of employment. Jack had 22 years and all he has to show for it are hit pieces containing lies, lies verified by factcheck and politifact. Jack Kingston had his opportunity to make his case and elected to use it to spout lies. He has not earned my vote nor will he ever receive it. He has shown to be a Washington insider and therefore part of the problem. Further, Jack's supporters have had the opportunity to post on this page and sing his praises...where are they? Just flowery rhetoric and red herrings.

As for, "I'm gun shy of democratic families that turn republican", Sonny was a Democrat then switched to Republican. And that has WHAT to do with David and what HE brings to the table? Voting against David because his cousin was a Democrat makes no sense. But, if we want to play that game, let's not vote for Jack because someone in his family has probably done the same or worse.

Darby
Darby 07/09/14 - 11:43 pm
"Vote for David Perdue"

No, but thanks for asking......