Hot-car story lacks some crucial details

Regarding your news article about the mother who left her child locked in an SUV June 19 while she took an exam at Virginia College, I found your coverage to be lacking in one significant area.

While your article discussed in-depth background data from authorities including the National Weather Service, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning among others, there was no mention whether Virginia College offered a child care service for students.

I don’t know about you, but to me this would be an important fact to consider in the matter, not to mention possible culpability on the part of Virginia College.

I don’t condone the actions of the mother, but as a parent of two teenage daughters, I understand the mistakes a young person can make. Perhaps all of us should take a trip down Memory Lane when we were once young.

By the way, I am a longtime subscriber to your newspaper, and I am not a Georgia Bulldogs fan, a golf fan, a NASCAR fan or a Republican.

Do us all a favor and survey your paid subscribers to see what their interests are for the newspaper they buy.

deestafford
deestafford 06/25/14 - 11:05 pm
The college is not at fault in any way in this...

The college is not at fault in any way in this death. It's not the college's responsibility to provide day care. It's responsibility is to provide an opportunity for a person to learn something.

The obvious thing is this "woman" is too young to have had children. I find it interesting she and the baby did not have the same last name.

She has no one to blame for the child's death but herself.

habersham100
habersham100 06/26/14 - 05:28 am
I agree with deestafford.

Nothing replaces personal responsibility.

iaaffg
iaaffg 06/26/14 - 05:58 am
now it's the college's fault

now it's the college's fault that the baby was left in the car? the college's fault that this chick got pregnant in the first place? here we go, more finger pointing at someone/something else to take the blame other than the one who actually committed the deed. hello, mr- i'm-not-a-golfer-or-a-nascar-fan-or-a-republican-but-i-deign-to-buy-this-paper-anyways, it figures you are probably a democrat then, and how predictable that you are looking to put the blame on someone other than the mother who chose to let her kid in the car rather than pay a babysitter. furthermore, i do believe the paper gave us exactly the info we needed in the article: mother let 2 week old baby in car to go take a test; baby was heard wailing; police were called; police rescued baby; mother then found and arrested. how this is virginia college's fault or why they need to be held responsible can only exist in the mind of someone like you. instead of berating the newspaper for not blaming virginia college for something they're not responsible for in the first place, why aren't you out there promoting abstinence from sex or the use of birth control?

cush1944
cush1944 06/26/14 - 06:58 am
"Nothing replaces personal

"Nothing replaces personal responsibility."
Many liberals do not believe in personal responsibility.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 06/26/14 - 07:19 am
Danny

You're kidding - right?

ymnbde
ymnbde 06/26/14 - 07:32 am
the cutest bigoted words come from the standard bigoted thoughts

ain't no nascar gawgiadawg fan nasty repub heah!
nawsuh, we enlightened... ain't no cuplability with bigots in dis head
and it ain't that girls fault... just cause she left her baby crying in that hot car it's hard being a teenage girl that baby should have known that and not cried so loud
it was the baby's fault...
geez... this letter is lacking in many significant areas

dsterling9
dsterling9 06/26/14 - 08:22 am
Crime and Coverage

Let law enforcement and the courts work out the blame or not. Too often crimes are tried in the media before investigations are completed. Now...as far as the sports coverage. My only thought is how can a professional sports event/personality ever be front page news with all the other more important events happening daily?

jaymai
jaymai 06/26/14 - 08:33 am
No, the college was not to

No, the college was not to blame. Also, this is a not a political issue. This is not a liberal vs. conservative issue. This is not a result of the legacy of Obama. This is the fault of an idiot, selfish, uncaring, scumbag mother who put herself ahead of her child. The welfare of your child should ALWAYS come first. I feel nauseous with the thought that I'm breathing the same air that this so-called mother is.

hoptoad
hoptoad 06/26/14 - 09:36 am
Mr. Hot Car Story

As all typical liberals do - blame someone or some obsure circumstance for everything that goes wrong. It was no one's fault but the mother's.
And as usual, if liberals don't like something then it should be changed to suit them and their agenda. The majority of people who read the AC like NASCAR, golf, the GA bulldogs and are Republican. Why should the AC pander to the liberals when you can order the Atlanta Journal to get all your liberal news.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/26/14 - 09:50 am
"not to mention possible

"not to mention possible culpability on the part of Virginia College."

And THERE is a classic example of the mentality that brought down the greatest nation in the world.

corgimom
corgimom 06/26/14 - 10:31 am
I attended ASU. There was a

I attended ASU. There was a child care center there, but it had long waiting lists and I wasn't interested in it anyway.

I PAID for my child care for my son, that was my responsibility. How is it a school's responsibility to provide child care? So what happens after somebody gets a job, is it the employer's responsibility to provide child care? In a word- NO.

corgimom
corgimom 06/26/14 - 10:33 am
I was 22 when my son was

I was 22 when my son was born, and I NEVER- and I do mean NEVER- left my infant son alone in a car.

This has nothing to do with being young, I think it has more to do with mental illness, but that's not the school's fault, either.

corgimom
corgimom 06/26/14 - 10:35 am
As for the possible

As for the possible culpability of Virginia College- that made me gag. Absolutely gag.

I cannot believe that anybody would actually say that.

thauch12
thauch12 06/26/14 - 10:49 am
Wrong crime.

The only thing Virginia College is guilty of is conning their largely poor, uneducated black student body into thinking their investment of time and financial resources (be it their own or the federal government's) will lead to a better life. The degrees provided by this for-profit diploma mill are worse than useless because of the burdens they put on these students, often for nothing. A degree in "medical office management" is not worth the paper it's printed on (especially when said paper costs $20K+). Even worse, it's your taxpayer money that is going to fund much of this nonsense.

That being said, they certainly do not bear any culpability for this young mother's poor choice.

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/26/14 - 11:11 am
deestafford

The child didn't die. He was released to the woman's mother that afternoon.

Darby
Darby 06/26/14 - 11:52 am
"By the way, I am a longtime subscriber

to your newspaper, and I am not a Georgia Bulldogs fan, a golf fan, a NASCAR fan or a Republican."

OK, Danny - We know what you aren't. By elimination, I guess we also know what you are.

jimmymac
jimmymac 06/26/14 - 11:55 am
GUILTY

In the writers mind everyone is guilty for this women's actions but her. I mean the college, her mother, even you the letter writer. I mean why didn't you all see that she had a place to dump her obviously unwanted child. Put the blame where it belongs and that's on the back of the idiot who left her child to die.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/26/14 - 12:53 pm
thauch12 and I agree on 'diploma mill' colleges!

If I had a position that required an applicant to have a degree the first thing I would use to whittle the list down would be throw out those with degrees from one of these establishments.

We all know and they know they don't care about education they care about making money. They especially love students who qualify for a guvment program which allows plenty of money.

Virginia College degree: no thanks!

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/26/14 - 03:56 pm
thauch12

Man did you nail it! This "college" wouldn't be in existence if it weren't for federal assistance. As a matter of fact, this kind of thing drives up cost for all that are not eligible for assistance. That's the dirty little secret about all educational assistance programs. Every time more assistance is offered, tuition goes up.

To the letter writer:
dichotomy nailed it! How can any sane, thinking person come to such a conclusion? Do you think gov't owes you the toilet paper to wipe your hiney?

cush1944
cush1944 06/26/14 - 07:02 pm
"The fact that you're not a

"The fact that you're not a "Georgia Bulldogs fan, a golf fan, a NASCAR fan or a Republican" explains everything!"
Fred, you are correct

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/26/14 - 07:22 pm
I love the AC!

They will publish anything that is halfway coherent and doesn't slander someone.

It doesn't have to make any sense and it can be completely laughable, but by golly, that First Amendment right gets to be publicly exercised!

This letter ranks right up there with the story about the guy who threatened his former attorney and the atty's sister in frenzied emailing both of them. Does the rest of Georgia get this much fun from their newspaper?

I think not.

stuaby
stuaby 06/26/14 - 09:17 pm
"...culpability on the part

"...culpability on the part of Virginia College."

Maybe the guy is in law school. I could see a lawyer finding a way to make hay with this case. Happens all the time.

mybaskett
mybaskett 06/26/14 - 10:08 pm
VC Students

This article was about one of the VC Students lack of judgement and clearly her poor decision making. So I am clearly confused when Thauch12 and a few others refer to the students as, "black and uneducated." I have hired three VC students and they are all educated, hardworking, responsible and ethical. So please, can we stay on topic?

Young Fred
Young Fred 06/26/14 - 11:05 pm
Black and uneducated?

No I said nothing about race, just inferred the uneducated part.

And stand by that statement!

Not to say those with a "degree" (sniker) from the college can't be trained. Just saying

thauch12
thauch12 06/27/14 - 12:16 am
Race baiting?

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say there "basket." Facts are facts: the student body at Virginia College (and most of the area for-profit colleges) is mostly black (as in people with recent African ancestry), uneducated (with high school diploma or GED), and poor (requiring some sort of financial aid to pay for their education). Call an ace an ace. Don't make implications where there aren't any to be made.

I'm glad you are happy with your employees. I certainly never said anything about their work ethic, responsibility, or judgment (it's not my place and quite frankly I don't care). I stand by my statements.