Congress lets vets down

Can we place all the blame of the failures in our veterans’ hospitals on a number of governmental employees intent on making themselves look good to earn bonuses – as occurs in all governmental functions? I say not.

We are bombarded constantly by politicians saying, “I can do it better” and “Donate.” Once in the ivory tower though, what do they accomplish? I can’t think of a single function handled by our government that is better now than a decade ago. Most are far worse.

Quoted from the Congressional Research Service: “The duties carried out by a Member of Congress are understood to include representation, legislation and constituent service and education, as well as political and electoral activities. ... With no written requirements, each member is free to define his or her own job and set his or her own priorities.”

How is it that so many of our veterans could be forced to go without treatment or even appointments to be seen, but all is a surprise to our members of Congress now that it is in the open? Where were they? Did they not read and act on their mail? Did they talk with the right constituents? When they come out of their ivory towers to talk to those who selected them, are they here to say things to sound good and get re-elected, or to listen and then represent?

What other mistreatment of their constituents is going on right now that they are not aware of?

deestafford
deestafford 06/12/14 - 10:57 pm
I fully agree that Congress dropped the ball over a number....

I fully agree that Congress dropped the ball over a number of years as to fulfilling its oversight responsibilities and there is no excuse for it. They were whitewashed on their visits as they would see only dog and pony shows whenever they would visit a VA hospital and did not know how or just failed to prepare themselves to get under the veneer of everything is going well presentations.

The other day I was sent a list of the workers in the Phoenix, AZ VA hospital with their salaries. The top income "earners" made over $350k per year and it went down from there. It was after I got to number 1300 on the list did the salary go below $100k down to $99,900k. I quit looking after that and there were over a thousand more on the list.

I had no idea the salary structure was that high. I can see maybe some doctors and a few administrators at the top making $300k plus but not over 200 people making that kind of money in one hospital.

carcraft
carcraft 06/13/14 - 04:31 am
Well Obama campaigned on VA

Well Obama campaigned on VA problems!

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/13/14 - 07:22 am
Did Congress know of the

Did Congress know of the problem? Obama said he didn't know about till the news broke the story. Unfortunately he was lying, again, because it has been discovered the Obama administration knew about it since 2011. But Congress just controls the purse string, it is implemented by the federal govt, and Cabinet Secretary was suppose to be doing oversight. Well apparently they did do oversight and knew of the problem and have done nothing and would have continued to do nothing except now it has come to light to force them to address this. What the heck is the president doing with his time. His policies have created a perfect storm of latin america children that most will be wards of the state. Is the fed going to bail out states with all these children? He created the problem he should fix it. And how about when one of those Gitmo guys commits terrorism and kills thousands of americans-since he did this unilaterally against all the intelligence people and Congress-=will he unilaterally be held responsible for murder, impeached, and imprisoned? I really doubt it so that is the problem I have with Congress. They are impotent to stop or contain a president who is obviously mentally ill.

deestafford
deestafford 06/13/14 - 07:32 am
A hamstring around the VA is a combination...

A hamstring around the VA is combination of Civil Service (This has become an oxymoron) Regulations and union contracts. I heard one employee saying his people wanted to work through lunch to take care of a patient but were stopped because of union rules.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/13/14 - 08:50 am
Over paid and under worked

Over paid and under worked and not accountable !

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/13/14 - 09:32 am
I certainly am not happy

I certainly am not happy about these delays in receiving care and the ridiculous amounts of time it takes to process, and they be denied, a claim.

But I do have SOME sympathy for the VA. They have a real problem with the shortage of doctors. I have seen my primary care doctor actually jogging from his office to the reception desk to pick up records for his next patient. Most of the appointment is spent with the doctor answering all of the stupid mandatory "is the patient suicidal", "has the patient been counseled about smoking" questions in the computer before he can renew my prescriptions. They are trying to limit the time you get with the doctor to less than 15 minutes. By the time the doctor answers all of those stupid computer entries your appointment is over. God help you if you actually try to complain about a new ailment that needs a referral. The doctor will look at you like you have two heads. And they have already hired every Indian, Pakistani, and Chinese doctor they can find and it still isn't enough. I haven't had a doctor who speaks English that I can understand in 5 years. or more.

I keep telling myself that I am lucky. I could be under Obamacare and have to PAY to be treated like this :-)

Darby
Darby 06/13/14 - 12:14 pm
"How is it that so many of our veterans

could be forced to go without treatment or even appointments to be seen, but all is a surprise to our members of Congress now that it is in the open?"

Not a surprise at all. Just a pesky problem that "busy" politicians kept sweeping under the proverbial rug, rendering it "out of sight" and therefore out out of mind.

This is what passes for leadership in Washington. The only place on earth where constant and systemic failure is rewarded with money, perks and tenure.

Well, maybe there and in America's teacher's unions.

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 06/13/14 - 12:26 pm
If you're too cheap...

To get a real job and get good health care, this is what happens.

Also, taking a bet and losing sounds a lot like other programs the Teabaggers don't want to support, in favor of lowering THEIR taxes.