Citizen police disturbing

I read the May 21 article on the Citizen’s Police Academy. It’s an interesting concept but it’s not original – the shirts should be brown.

That’s all we need is another organization policing the citizens of this country. Yes, it sounds like a great idea – all warm and fuzzy and whatnot, stopping crime in its tracks. Have these people taken an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States? Are they prepared to face charges if they violate someone’s civil rights in the name of Augusta/Richmond County? I see a Trayvon Martin incident in Augusta’s future.

If Augusta needs more police officers, hire more police officers. These individuals could do the same thing without being sanctioned by the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office. All they need is the phone number to the sheriff’s office. Let’s not go down the road to pre-World War II Germany.

Mitch Stopher Sr.

Lincolnton

carcraft
carcraft 06/11/14 - 05:54 am
I really don't think people

I really don't think people read history or understand who the Brown shirts were. Need read up !

deestafford
deestafford 06/11/14 - 06:14 am
Don't forget that Obama said at the beginning of...

Don't forget that Obama said at the beginning of his first term that he wanted to create a national force that was as large and as well equipped as the military. Don't know what happened to that idea but it just further shows where his thoughts lie.

myfather15
myfather15 06/11/14 - 06:23 am
Citizen police academies are

Citizen police academies are not to make them the police, but an abbreviated academy to teach them the basics. How can this be bad? Especially if it teaches citizens what police should and should not be doing?

Also, this academy teaches citizens to be on the look out for suspicious activity, which indicate criminal activity. What's wrong with that? What this academy does NOT teach is to get out and CONFRONT criminal activity!!

In reality, every citizen who cares about society and their community SHOULD take this course. This course can do nothing but bring positive results to the community!!

Besides Martin and Zimmerman, and without researching; can anyone name me ONE incident where another neighborhood watch member shot and killed someone? We hear of ONE major story in the news, and we panic? Now we believe our fellow citizens shouldn't even be watching out for us? Should we just abolish the neighborhood watch programs?

Mr. Stopher, are you planning to commit a crime somewhere; and simply don't want more eyes looking your way?

Little Old Lady
Little Old Lady 06/11/14 - 07:35 am
He obviously knows nothing

He obviously knows nothing about law enforcement. Reserve officers are a great help to the officers.

deestafford
deestafford 06/11/14 - 07:45 am
I agree that this can be a tremendous aid...

I agree that this can be a tremendous aid at the local level. It also gives citizens who want to contribute to the betterment of the community an opportunity to do so.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/11/14 - 07:48 am
I Get His Point

I get his philosophical point although I think it's a stretch to equate the Brownshirts to local citizens trained to help the police. He's not planning to commit a crime, nor are citizens who object to being stopped at DUI checkpoints without cause.

MrClen1944
MrClen1944 06/11/14 - 08:08 am
Citizens Police Academy v Reserve Officer

I believe the Citizens Police Academy and the Reserve Officer Programs are being confused with each other. The Citizens Police Academy is for everyday citizens to learn how law enforcement works and gives citizens an idea of what their law enforcement agencies do and how each division in the department is all about. The Reserve Program is for certified law enforcement training. Many of those who have gone through that training have become full-time law enforcement officers at local, state, and federal agencies. While serving as Reserves, they provide a great service to the community. They are especially effective in times of local emergencies when more officers are needed on the streets for citizen safety.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/11/14 - 09:02 am
Its called being a good,

Its called being a good, concerned citizen not afraid of getting involved and the worst thing that could happen if you are a thug or criminal.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/11/14 - 09:09 am
"Also, this academy teaches

"Also, this academy teaches citizens to be on the look out for suspicious activity, which indicate criminal activity."

What for? The RCSO did not even respond when I reported my house and car being hit with shotgun pellets Mother's Day evening. Being on the lookout for criminal activity only works if the cops actually come when you call. You cannot count on that in Richmond County.

Darby
Darby 06/11/14 - 11:22 am
"Have these people taken an oath

to support and defend the Constitution of the United States?"
To begin with, Mr. Stopher's "Brownshirts" HAD taken an oath... to blindly support and serve Adolph Hitler and the National Socialist Party. There is nothing inherently evil in the color brown as the writer seems to suggest. The evil is in motivation.

"Are they prepared to face charges if they violate someone’s civil rights in the name of Augusta/Richmond County?"
They don't need to be prepared. If anyone violates the law, then the law is in place to punish them. (Unless that "anyone" happens to reside at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

"I see a Trayvon Martin incident in Augusta’s future."
Then you should try to get a job as a clairvoyant. And why would anyone bring the thug Trayvon Martin into such a scenario to begin with? Still trying to make a victim out of a criminal? It didn't work at the time and it won't work now.

Butterman
Butterman 06/11/14 - 11:51 am
I can smell it

I get a distinct odor of a Ron Paul supporter with this letter writer

Airman
Airman 06/11/14 - 04:39 pm
We have this academy and

We have this academy and "Citizens on Patrol". No they don't ride with officers but they help at DUI checkpoints during holiday and party seasons. They help with directing traffic for parades and activities. They check on people homes when they are out of town( notify police when you are going away and they do courtesy checks). They do a lot so our police officers can fight crime. It is a great program

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 06/11/14 - 06:38 pm
This little town of mine

I went to the liquor store and these sharks are running up behind me at our only one light - I've never had any ticket for anything but they made me feel like they were going to stop me. Brown jacket, yes. I'm afraid I'd get out and kick their asses - sorry MYFather15!
And I'd never drink and drive!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/11/14 - 07:51 pm
Airman, if they help out at

Airman, if they help out at DUI checkpoints I'm definitely not in favor of them. It's bad enough to have to go through these unconstitutional roadblocks and now I have to deal with these guys who are there for who knows what reason?