Appreciate our teachers!

This week is set aside as Teacher Appreciation Week. To simply say “thank you” for teachers’ extraordinary work appears to be so small when I consider the huge impact they have on shaping the lives of young people.

I know firsthand how important it is to have a quality teacher in each classroom. I remember all my teachers, and to this day I can tell you the lessons I learned under their tutelage, almost a half-century later. Even today when I go into schools, I examine the characteristics of the teachers in search of the exact qualities I observed in my teachers as a lad. Their teaching and caring qualities are timeless. They will never go out of style, no matter what new teaching techniques are introduced in the modern classroom.

The effectiveness of a good teacher’s methods reaches far into the future. I owe my life to those who taught me, and I honor them this week with my memory of them. I thank them sincerely for teaching our children. Show me a high-quality teacher, and I will show you a classroom full of scholarly pupils.

The teacher makes the school. The teacher creates the atmosphere that fosters learning. Space here is not sufficient for me to share all the glory that is associated with the high-quality teacher. Suffice it to say, their work speaks for itself in the students they enlighten and inspire each day.

In the early days of public education, pupils would present their teacher with a delicious red apple, as an expression of thanks. Today, I am not suggesting a delicious red apple. However, I am presenting a different fruit. I give to teachers the fruit of support, admiration and appreciation that commends them for their daily inspired sacrifices on behalf of the students of the CSRA.

Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!

Frank G. Roberson, Ph.D.

Augusta

(The writer is Richmond County’s superintendent of schools.)

ymnbde
ymnbde 05/08/14 - 07:13 am
ah, appreciate them by letting them teach

appreciate them by enforcing discipline standards
appreciate them by reducing the amount of frivolous paperwork
appreciate them by not trying every new education fad
appreciate them by not letting their teaching skills be evaluated
by someone who has only taught a short time, and didn't do well then
appreciate them by getting rid of the bad ones
it's the education bureaucracy that disrespects teachers
and who is head of the education bureaucracy?
the "fruits" of your leadership are
THREE SCHOOLS IN RICHMOND COUNTY
HAD ZERO STUDENTS PASS THE AP EXAMS LAST YEAR
public education is beyond repair, and you contributed to that

localguy55
localguy55 05/08/14 - 07:19 am
So, I guess it's hats off for

So, I guess it's hats off for those hard working teachers.

Too bad that programs such as "common Core" is being pushed nation wide by the Department of Education and our school systems aren't speaking out against it.

Too bad that when a father speaks out at a school council meeting about a racy book that is required reading by his 14 year old daughter, he is arrested and charged with disorderly conduct; William Baer, New Hampshire.

Too bad that when progress reports are issued the grades that are viewed have not been updated to reflect the true grades.

Too bad that when your child is bullied the in-school camera resolution is so bad you can't pick out the perpetrators.

Too bad that your child has to attend independent tutoring to keep an A, B, average due to lack of understandable in-class instructions.

Too bad that our property tax continues to skyrocket as the children of Columbia county are purposely dumbed down, despite the efforts of the parents to provide as much support as possible to insure that their child is prepared for college and life.

There is still hope for Columbia county schools but we parents must be diligent less we end up like the Richmond county public schools which are a lost cause.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/08/14 - 07:34 am
Surprising Fact About Richmond County Schools

I've learned something recently about Georgia and Richmond County schools that may be surprising to some. We hear about the superior schools of some states such as Wisconsin and lament our poor results locally. Well, guess what? Georgia does a better job of educating minority students than Wisconsin as determined by objective testing. Plus Richmond County is ahead of the state average in educating minorities. When we consider the Richmond County School System demographics of almost 75% minority students, it's apparent Dr. Roberson and Richmond County didn't do so poorly as some thought.

localguy55
localguy55 05/08/14 - 07:52 am
I hope you are right

I hope you are right Riverman1. I for one do not want to see any Ga. school system fail in their duty to do right by the children.

However, I am privy to teachers that have worked in both Richmond and Columbia county and it is from their experience and observation that his guided my opinion.

If Dr. Roberson is performing as required the results will be apparent when the graduation numbers come out. However, with that said, I am not totally convinced that graduating from a government school is an indicator of scholastic achievement.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/08/14 - 08:06 am
Local Guy, Yep

"However, with that said, I am not totally convinced that graduating from a government school is an indicator of scholastic achievement."

Of course, that's another issue and I agree with you. Richmond County has some excellent schools...private ones. Plus the small public magnet schools. But again my point here is for the demographics of the RC Public School System Richmond County does better than the national and state averages. That surprised me.

All this validates my earlier thoughts that the best way to determine the results of a school district is to simply look at the income level of the area.

localguy55
localguy55 05/08/14 - 08:18 am
Yes, Riverman1, the private

Yes, Riverman1, the private ones are superior; EDS being one of the finest perhaps, in a 75 mile radius.

Also, the magnet school programs in Richmond county are great and speaks well of the kids that attend there.

But again, and I guess I am beating a dead horse, it comes back to the Richmond county public schools. IN our area, we tend to compare ourselves with others close to us.

Maybe the AC could write a article comparing Georgia schools, with other less achieving states in the north and north west to show that progress is occurring.

I did not realize, until you brought it up, that Richmond County schools were performing as well as indicated.

As I said before, we compare ourselves with those we are surround by.

deestafford
deestafford 05/08/14 - 08:59 am
One of the few regrets I have in life is...

One of the few regrets I have in life is that I did not ever write a letter to my seventh grade teacher a letter telling her what a positive impact she had on my life and for me becoming what I became. She has long passed away and it saddens me knowing she never read how I felt about her.

So, if you have a teacher who was instrumental in your life, please write her a letter--not an email which is impersonal--telling her what she meant to you. Shoot, even if it was a male teacher so it. You will feel better and they will also.

KSL
KSL 05/08/14 - 09:21 am
Mothers get a day. Teachers

Mothers get a day. Teachers get a whole week???

corgimom
corgimom 05/08/14 - 09:24 am
localguy- in regards to

localguy- in regards to William Baer- he was arrested not for protesting a book, but he was arrested because he was given his time to speak, like everybody else, and then continued to talk over other people when it was THEIR turn to speak.

Have your facts straight.

Unless you are of the opinion that somebody can go to a school board meeting, monopolize the meeting, and prevent others from sharing their equally important concerns.

***************************

If your child needs tutoring, localguy, that is specific to your child, because how is it that other children can make A's and B's and understand the teaching just fine?

Some people can't accept that their children have to work harder than the others to make good grades, and want to blame it on the teacher. Some people also can't accept that children's brains are developing and growing, and sometimes they take subjects that are just too hard for then for where they are at in their developmental stage, but that they will be able to handle when they are older. And sometimes parents just can't accept that their child needs more than one try to master material- which is perfectly natural and normal.

Localguy, I will give you a personal example. I skipped two grades in school, and took Calculus my senior year of high school, when I was 15.

It could've been in Chinese, for all I understood it. I bombed it, and dropped the course.

The next year, in college, I took it again. I struggled, and struggled, and struggled, for the first 6 weeks. I thought, here I go again.

Then one day I knew the answer to a question. And all of a sudden, I understood it, and from that time on, I was fine. I went on to take 5 semesters of calculus, I got A's and B's in it, and got an AA in Mathematics.

Because I was a year older, I had a year more of brain development and growth, and it took me two tries before I understood it.

It wasn't the teacher's fault in the least.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/08/14 - 09:25 am
Slow to discipline

That has been a major problem. I feel sorry for the teachers because it is h** if they do & H** if they don't...some lose their jobs just trying to break up a fight...I read an article about that yesterday.

jaymai
jaymai 05/08/14 - 09:50 am
Another way we can show

Another way we can show appreciation to our teachers, is for parents to show up at PTA meetings in the same numbers and show the same interest and enthusiasm for what goes on in the classroom, as they do at football games.
Yes, I went there.

KSL
KSL 05/08/14 - 10:27 am
My son was bored in algebra

My son was bored in algebra in the 8th grade, so my husband gave him his college calculus book. In the 9th grade, he tied a senior girl on the national math exam. On it outright the following years.

We timed the birth of our children so the would be as old as possible in their class. I would never have agreed to them skipping even one grade.

In college I was appalled at the lack of maturity the younger people in our class had.

localguy55
localguy55 05/08/14 - 10:31 am
corigmom, I could care less

corigmom,

I could care less about you or your struggles. My child, on the other hand, is a different story. Some teachers do there job well, some don't.

When that happens, I picked up where these sub-par teachers have failed my child, and what I mean by failed, they failed to properly do their job. My child IS and HAS ALWAYS BEEN an A.B. honor roll student in spite of those few sub-par teachers.

My child thrives with only a few tutoring lessens. My child came to be after a tutoring lesson and stated that he/she had learned more in one lesson than the whole semester from this one unspectacular teacher.

So, if haven't been keeping up with current events, there ARE bad teachers that cost children a proper education due to tenure and the teacher's union, making it impossible to rid the school system of incompetent teachers.

As far as Mr. Baer is concerned, I commend him for having the moral fortitude to protest a book containing erotica that was imposed upon his 14 year old daughter.

However, I'm sure it would not worry you if hustler magazines was required reading for the student body.

ymnbde
ymnbde 05/08/14 - 10:55 am
corgimom, wasn't the 2 minute rule imposed just because

of Mr. Baer? that is unfair, and making a 14 year old girl read words that a grown man would be arrested for if he spoke them to her should be the focus.
Oh, and Riverman, we should keep in perspective that those statistics are differentiating the bad from the worst... not the good from the best

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/08/14 - 11:54 am
I thought teachers were

I thought teachers were getting a lot of the blame for our failed education system-why celebrate a failed system? LOL.

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/08/14 - 12:05 pm
Private schools provide the best option because

of their successes. The reason for these successes is that they have quality well behaved students with ultimate parental involvement and encouragement. If the quality of students was better in the public schools then the success rates would improve.

Quality students equals quality parents and most don't have them. The failure of the family unit is the real reason for students poor performance. No rules equals no success!

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/08/14 - 01:30 pm
Funny private schools pay

Funny private schools pay their faculty much, much less than public schools yet often have better success. Just shows you money isn't the problem.

edcushman
edcushman 05/08/14 - 03:44 pm
" Funny private schools pay

" Funny private schools pay their faculty much, much less than public schools yet often have better success."
The private school teacher do not have to put up with the crap the public school teachers do. The schools have steadily gone down since the good ole democrat Carter formed the dept of ed. Another success story by democrats.

fedex227
fedex227 05/08/14 - 08:30 pm
Teacher Appreciation Week.

Your work and sacrifice has not gone unnoticed.

rebellious
rebellious 05/08/14 - 09:11 pm

for where you are today. And I bet for every one good teacher you had, you can name two who, even as a kid, you knew were overpaid and under-qualified. Us baby boomers we were educated in a time when discipline was not only accepted, but encouraged and often duplicated by parents.

Unfortunately, todays litigious society protects darling little juvenile delinquents at the expense of the children who desire knowledge. In addition, we have chosen to advance borderline illiterate instructors under the pressure of teacher unions.All this, plus more "social engineering" has reduced our classes to glorified babysitting services.

I was proud when one of my children went into education. He loved Mathematics, is a natural at explaining concepts, and is still a kid at heart. Several years ago, he left ARC for another smaller county High School. He called today and told me he will be interviewing for an ironworkers job which starting pay will double his annual income. I am happy for him. I know the hours he put in after the school bell rang for dismiss. The mandated paperwork, having to tolerate kids sleeping in class, kids who cared less about learning, pressure from parents as well as pressure from administration.

We pay millions to professional athletes through our ticket purchase and television viewing patterns. We reward entertainers handsomely. Yet offer a paltry compensation to those who hold our children's minds in their hands.

Pardon the rambling of a frustrated American.

KSL
KSL 05/08/14 - 11:19 pm
itsa

And we allow schools to bring in so called volunteers who have their individual influences on our children.

I do hope you can recognize my point.