Bundy follows example

I find that I must agree with the underlying theme of Thomas Mills’ letter regarding Cliven Bundy and his refusal to pay grazing fees for his cattle on public land (“Editorial was a disgrace,” April 23)

Bundy went into this affair knowing that there is a charge to feed his privately owned cattle at the expense of the American taxpayer. It is therefore criminal that he refuses to pay the fairly accrued fees as required by law, and upheld by the court. However, to bring Obama into the argument was Mills’ mistake. After all, Bundy is simply following the president’s example of blatant disregard for the law – the most glaring example of which is his disregard of the deadlines enacted into the law by Congress, and approved by his own signature, for the political gain of the Democratic Party.

Obama has proved himself to be, I believe, the most lawless, least law-abiding president in the history of this country. He cannot bring himself to obey a law – the Affordable Care Act – that was written to his own criteria, and at his direction. When he must follow his own law and it does not suit his purposes, he simply disobeys his own creation.

With examples such as this in America’s highest office, what can one expect out of its citizens? Disobedience of the law of the land by the president of the land is the example upon which Bundy can base his actions. Who is the greater lawbreaker?

Sorry, but Mr. Mills’ complaint about attacking Obama holds no water in support of his side of the argument. If this still was a country of law and justice, Obama’s cell number would have nothing to do with a phone.

Walter Schmidt

Augusta

burninater
burninater 04/28/14 - 03:15 pm
"And who said the difference

"And who said the difference is because of "blackness?" "
------
When I hear a proponent of the liberal gov't plantation theory discuss the possibility that institutionalized poverty, high incarceration rates, high unemployment rates, among other issues, can CAUSE Black social problems, then I will retract my statement.

But that is not how the issue is framed. Rather, proponents of liberal government plantation theory claim "it's the culture" -- "Blackness", enabled by gov't assistance, has ITSELF created institutionalized poverty, high incarceration rates, etc.

This connects to your broader question --

"So, burn....you can't focus on one problem (the one with the greater rate of government assistance usage) without being racist?"

If you are focused on the social problems that cause these greater rates, rather than the skin color of a specific population affected by these problems, then you can absolutely focus on one problem without being racist. But if, rather than looking at these problems you focus on race -- and coming up with a "plantation" theory is 100% a racial focus -- then yes, it is racist.

If Blackness were the common denominator in higher rates of assistance in the Black community, then the supermajority of Black Americans would likewise be on assistance. THEY AREN'T. So the focus on "Blackness", with its accessory "living on a plantation" language, is a purely racial conceptualization of the problem, and inherently racist.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:15 pm
So they have been dead for a

So they have been dead for a long time, but you think vengeance is odd? Tell that to those who still want reparations for slavery.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:22 pm
So until they have the same

So until they have the same argument that you have and draw the same conclusions Burn, you will continue to say that they are racist. That figures. It happens so often today. Hard to be reasonable with someone when they just say that you are racist if you don't think the same way that they do and draw the same conclusions that they do. I'm frankly tired of being called racist when I state factual statistics. Especially when I don't even state any conclusions from them.....I get accused of racism just because I didn't mention ALL statistics. Good lord.

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/14 - 03:22 pm
Actually, PL, Walmart HAS

Actually, PL, Walmart HAS been hit with sex-discrimination lawsuits, I'm not sure if you are aware of that.

burninater
burninater 04/28/14 - 03:23 pm
"So until they have the same

"So until they have the same argument that you have and draw the same conclusions Burn, you will continue to say that they are racist."
-----

The fact that the supermajority of Black Americans have never received gov't assistance pretty much nullifies the "Blackness" argument. So what is the non-racist case for continuing to make that claim?

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/14 - 03:25 pm
PL, as a matter of fact, I DO

PL, as a matter of fact, I DO think that people that want reparations for slavery are many bricks short of a load, and I say so, very openly.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:25 pm
Corgi....I could be wrong,

Corgi....I could be wrong, but I have never seen a suit against walmart for discriminating against males.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:26 pm
"Yes, I think that vengeance

"Yes, I think that vengeance is very, very odd, to say the least. Not to mention just plain dumb."

So how has what happened to you in the past relevant today? If it's not happening, why keep trying to fix it?

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:29 pm
"Nope. Until they justify the

"Nope. Until they justify the specific racial component of their argument empirically, then I will continue to say they are racist."

So if I state a statistic, but don't show the statistics for all the other races, it's racist? Again.....who made a "blackness" argument. You keep saying that. That is the conclusion YOU are drawing. Until you show me where people keep making the argument that people are getting some sort of assistance because they are black, I will stand by my statement that you are accusing people of racism falsely.

burninater
burninater 04/28/14 - 03:32 pm
"So if I state a statistic,

"So if I state a statistic, but don't show the statistics for all the other races, it's racist? Again.....who made a "blackness" argument. You keep saying that. That is the conclusion YOU are drawing."
-----
If you treat a correlation as causation, without proof, and that correlation is the color of a person's skin, then yes. It's racist.

Bundy made the blackness argument. Dee defended and expanded on it. They are not alone in making this argument. I have had variations of this discussion time and again, for literally years, on this site.

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/14 - 03:33 pm
"If it's not happening, why

"If it's not happening, why keep trying to fix it?"

When you said that before, I assumed it was a misstatement, but since you repeated it, I will point out to you that if something wasn't happening, nobody could or would try to fix it.

Nobody would worry about sexual discrimination if it didn't exist, because there wouldn't be anything to fix.

This isn't hard to grasp.

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/14 - 03:36 pm
PL, if men aren't being

A suit is only filed when a law is broken and somebody has suffered a tort or damages, do you not realize that?

When a law is broken in somebody's favor, no, they don't file a lawsuit against that, unless they have totally lost their mind.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:37 pm
So Bundy and Dee make a

So Bundy and Dee make a statement, and now everyone who states the very statistics that YOU posted are racist. I get it. You are right....how silly of me to question you.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:39 pm
"PL, if men aren't being

"PL, if men aren't being discriminated against by Walmart, why would any man then file a suit?"

So making the men carry out the large packages instead of the women isn't discrimination? Did you not read the quote I posted from walmart?

burninater
burninater 04/28/14 - 03:40 pm
"Until you show me where

"Until you show me where people keep making the argument that people are getting some sort of assistance because they are black, I will stand by my statement that you are accusing people of racism falsely."

Here's dee, repeating a constant talking point of many others:

"Too many blacks are living on the liberal plantation because the liberals don't think they are capable of taking care of themselves and must live at the trough of the federal government welfare system."

This is EXACTLY "...the argument that people are getting some sort of assistance because they are black...".

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:40 pm
Corgi...tell us how

Corgi...tell us how Affirmative Action stops sexual discrimination.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:43 pm
Burn...nowhere in that

Burn...nowhere in that statement by Dee did it say that say that anyone did anything BECAUSE they are black. You drew that conclusion....again. I can't debate with you if you keep saying that people are saying things that they are NOT saying.

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/14 - 03:44 pm
Hey, Burn, if you aren't

Hey, Burn, if you aren't careful, she'll ask you to TEST her on the statistics. Like her radiation exposure knowledge, from the other day.

My husband laughed at that one, when I told him that.

I would like to continue to be entertained, but I have to go run some errands.

Later, gators.

burninater
burninater 04/28/14 - 03:45 pm
"So Bundy and Dee make a

"So Bundy and Dee make a statement, and now everyone who states the very statistics that YOU posted are racist. I get it."
-----
No, you don't. People who say the relevant variable in the differences in rates is the color of a person's skin, without any evidence for that claim (correlation is not causation), are making a racist claim. That's it. This isn't a difficult concept.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:46 pm
Test

So you can't ask questions on radiation? I guess not if you think someone can get "radiation" on their hard hat, or that they frequently "go in the reactor."

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:47 pm
Who said the relevant

Who said the relevant variable is the color of their skin? Again, burn, you are drawing conclusions that other's DID NOT state. They stated facts that are happening, and not one of them said it was because they are black.

burninater
burninater 04/28/14 - 03:55 pm
"Burn...nowhere in that

"Burn...nowhere in that statement by Dee did it say that say that anyone did anything BECAUSE they are black."
------
Really? Dee gave ANY other explanation for the phenomenon than the fact of skin color?

The fact that they are "blacks" is the ONLY reason dee gave.

Off to do some work, later.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:56 pm
I get it...since Dee didn't

I get it...since Dee didn't state ANY reason, you assume that he/she MUST have concluded that it was because of their race. There's no arguing with that sound logic. As usual, you are right, Dee must be racist.

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 04/28/14 - 04:00 pm
18 percent has taken directly

18 percent has taken directly in part of the food stamp programs...26 percent live in house with a current or former food stamp reciepentant..this seem to be a fluid number...but still is a very high number, i am just trying to sate a problem...but when 18 percent of the population partcipated in food stamps and your demographics show 31 percent of an overall population of 13-14 percent ...that is a problem...the inner city is in ruins ....for all...its a fact...and no govt program has helped...we dont need to call each other names

burninater
burninater 04/28/14 - 04:19 pm
"I get it...since Dee didn't

"I get it...since Dee didn't state ANY reason ..."
------
Sorry, can't let that falsehood just slide. Dee gave ONE reason, as I clearly stated.

Skin color.

"Blacks living on the liberal plantation".

I'm sorry you can't seem to grasp the clear and simple racism here.

Good day.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 04:34 pm
Show us where Dee stated that

Show us where Dee stated that the REASON was because they are black. It was a fact that they are black....never stated it as a reason....Again....you transposed that conclusion on Dee. I'm sorry that you see racism where it is not, but it is very typical of progressives. I should be used to it by now.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/28/14 - 05:13 pm
Good golly y'all sound like a

Good golly y'all sound like a bunch of lawyers-back and forth with the arguments. You need a "judge" to sort it all out to be fair. LOL. It is a good day despite storms supposedly coming in-but it looks like they are heading north of us for now. Maybe the weather predictor was off a bit-boy I hope so the weakened trees worry me in high winds.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/28/14 - 05:22 pm
I am confused-I thought

I am confused-I thought progressive Dems always talked about blacks on welfare and in need of assistance, and then conservative Rep talk about how that is a myth cause they are really doing well but being had by the Dems. So Y'all just like to argue-Period! I mean how many times do Dems argue that Rep are sticking it to the poor and especially poor blacks. Y'all have to undo this so switch sides and re-argue your case. This just won't do.

corgimom
corgimom 04/29/14 - 08:37 am
Hey Pond Life, on a side

Hey Pond Life, on a side note- just had a chance to see your comment towards me the other day, when I talked about my husband getting radiation on his hard hat and going into the reactor.

You do not know all that you think you do.

My husband has worked for Duke Energy for 45 years, works at a nuclear power plant, and when the reactor is shut down for maintenance, goes into the reactor. And the last time he did, about a month ago, he got a radioactive particle on his hard hat, and the man with him got some on him and had to go to the showers and be scrubbed.

My husband has to go into the reactors as part of his job, and in your base of knowledge, you apparently don't know that maintenance is required on them on a regular basis. How do you think that things get repaired in a nuclear reactor? By wishing on a star?

So perhaps your knowledge is not quite what you think it is.

But I enjoy your posts, keep posting. I especially enjoy it when you call me a liberal, because once again, you don't know what you are talking about, but it always makes me laugh!

corgimom
corgimom 04/29/14 - 08:41 am
Bizkit, who says I'm a

Bizkit, who says I'm a Democrat? Who says that I'm a liberal? Who says that I'm a progressive Democrat?

I've never said any of those things about myself. If you can find where I said any of those things, post them on up.

I've never said anything on here about if I'm liberal or conservative, what party I belong to, who I voted for- nothing.

But I think it's funny when all of you call me that.