Bundy follows example

I find that I must agree with the underlying theme of Thomas Mills’ letter regarding Cliven Bundy and his refusal to pay grazing fees for his cattle on public land (“Editorial was a disgrace,” April 23)

Bundy went into this affair knowing that there is a charge to feed his privately owned cattle at the expense of the American taxpayer. It is therefore criminal that he refuses to pay the fairly accrued fees as required by law, and upheld by the court. However, to bring Obama into the argument was Mills’ mistake. After all, Bundy is simply following the president’s example of blatant disregard for the law – the most glaring example of which is his disregard of the deadlines enacted into the law by Congress, and approved by his own signature, for the political gain of the Democratic Party.

Obama has proved himself to be, I believe, the most lawless, least law-abiding president in the history of this country. He cannot bring himself to obey a law – the Affordable Care Act – that was written to his own criteria, and at his direction. When he must follow his own law and it does not suit his purposes, he simply disobeys his own creation.

With examples such as this in America’s highest office, what can one expect out of its citizens? Disobedience of the law of the land by the president of the land is the example upon which Bundy can base his actions. Who is the greater lawbreaker?

Sorry, but Mr. Mills’ complaint about attacking Obama holds no water in support of his side of the argument. If this still was a country of law and justice, Obama’s cell number would have nothing to do with a phone.

Walter Schmidt

Augusta

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 02:29 pm
So when referencing how

As for "In fact, I don't think I remember a proponent of liberal gov't plantation theory EVER referencing a White recipient of gov't assistance. Got any examples?".........I can't answer that, but given that by percent, there are twice as many blacks on government assistance than whites, it's not hard to see why there are fewer examples.....perhaps not the right thing to do, but it is one explanation.

owensjef3
owensjef3 04/28/14 - 02:29 pm
What did the Pastor say that

What did the Pastor say that was racist biz? I know he said GD American and I now he talked about the racism in American, but what did he say that made him a racist or was he frustrated with what he had to go through.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 02:30 pm
Communication is quite

Communication is quite possible....all I ask is what has to happen to end Affirmative Action. If you can't say, then it is NO solution.

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/14 - 02:31 pm
"So when referencing how

"So when referencing how someone was enslaved in the past, when talking about how they are enslaved now, it is somehow racist?"

No, it's just dumb, because nobody is enslaved now.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 02:32 pm
"Corgi, PL is having a hard

"Corgi, PL is having a hard time understanding what could be racist about focusing solely on Black recipients of gov't assistance....."

I have NEVER seen anyone call for ending government assistance for blacks only. Never.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 02:32 pm
"No, it's just dumb, because

"No, it's just dumb, because nobody is enslaved now."

Quite the naive statement.

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/14 - 02:33 pm
There isn't going to be an

There isn't going to be an end to it for many, many years, because social change comes very, very slowly. Maybe to you. PL, 40 years ago seems ancient, but not to many of us on here, and when you are talking about social change, that's not that long. That's less than 2 generations.

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/14 - 02:35 pm
Quite the realistic

Quite the realistic statement.

There is absolutely no comparison between the way things were for slaves prior to 1863 and to the way they are now, and just because somebody says that blacks today are "enslaved", doesn't make it so.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 02:36 pm
So you can't tell me what has

So you can't tell me what has to happen for Affirmative Action to end, but you support it continuing. That is come very convoluted logic.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 02:37 pm
"There is absolutely no

"There is absolutely no comparison between the way things were for slaves prior to 1863 and to the way they are now..."

So unless the conditions of enslavement are the same, there is no slavery. I get it. And just because someone says "no one is enslaved now", doesn't make it so either.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 02:38 pm
And thanks for your continued

And thanks for your continued assumptions that you know my age.

burninater
burninater 04/28/14 - 02:39 pm
"I can't answer that, but

"I can't answer that, but given that by percent, there are twice as many blacks on government assistance than whites, it's not hard to see why there are fewer examples....."
-----
No, because of absolute population size, there are MORE examples of whites receiving gov't assistance.

Look, I'm not going to spend the day showing you what's in front of your face. The racial and racist messaging that the "liberal gov't plantation" theory exposes is clear and evident. Don't be surprised when other folks see what's in front of their faces, and react strongly to it.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/28/14 - 02:39 pm
Color me shocked

From Burn's website: "Democrats are about twice as likely as Republicans to have received food stamps at some point in their lives".

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 02:42 pm
You show percentages, then

burninater
burninater 04/28/14 - 02:43 pm
"So when referencing how

-------
When you ignore the non-Black component of gov't assistance, only focus on the Black component, and use the language of Black-specific historical slavery in the U.S., is that racist?

burninater
burninater 04/28/14 - 03:17 pm
"You show percentages, then

"You show percentages, then talk total population when I quote your percentages. You are right Burn...I'm wrong....as usual. I'll see if I can find the location of the goalpost later."
----
Not this again.

An example is a case when something happens.

There are more cases where a White person is on assistance than a Black person.

Therefore there are more examples of a White individual on assistance than a Black individual.

This doesn't mean assistance rates are the same by race. It simply means that if you randomly pick an assistance recipient out of the American population, they are more likely to be White than any other race.

The claim that there are less White examples of assistance is simply false.

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/14 - 02:45 pm
What has to happen for

What has to happen for Affirmative Action to end? Is that question for real?

What kind of a question is that?

Did you really need to ASK that question?

GEEZE!

Do you see that happening anytime soon?

Yes, based on what you say, you are relatively young, you have no idea how bad it used to be. It's better, but it still has a long way to go.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 02:50 pm
When you focus on the group

When you focus on the group that receives government assistance at twice the rate as another, it is racist?.....Oh right...I can't use the percentages you quoted when they don't draw the conclusion that YOU draw from them.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 02:55 pm
"Every employer in the US has

"Every employer in the US has to treat everybody fairly without regard to race, gender, ethnic group, etc. That's when it can end."

Corgi....Affirmative Action forces employers to NOT treat people equally because of race, gender, ethnic group, etc....so you are saying that as long as we have Affirmative Action, it can never end. Nice solution you have there. As much as I disagree with Burn, at least he/she can admit that Affirmative Action is NOT a solution...as any objective person should be able to see.

burninater
burninater 04/28/14 - 02:54 pm
"When you focus on the group

"When you focus on the group that receives government assistance at twice the rate as another, it is racist....."
-------
When you do so and NEVER talk about the White recipients, when you make general statements about Black gov't reliance based on the behavior of a minority of that racial population, and when, without any evidence whatsoever, you maintain that the difference in assistance rates is simply a result of "Blackness", then YES. IT'S RACIST.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 02:59 pm
So, burn....you can't focus

So, burn....you can't focus on one problem (the one with the greater rate of government assistance usage) without being racist? You must solve all problems at the same time in order to be politically correct. And who said the difference is because of "blackness?" It was just stated that there is a difference. Surely you aren't making that accusation with no evidence whatsoever?

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/28/14 - 03:16 pm
Well it's a tough issue

Dang posted this on wrong thread. Jezzers.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:02 pm
So Burn...when YOU state that

So Burn...when YOU state that 31% of Blacks received govn't assistance, it is merely stating a fact....when I state the same thing, it is considered "maintain[ing] that the difference in assistance rates is simply a result of "Blackness"" Interesting set of standards you have there.

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/14 - 03:02 pm
No, if employers would do the

But people have a way of not doing the right thing, especially when it comes to social issues.

Again, I say- you have no idea how bad it really, really was back then, and how hard it was to be a woman hired under Affirmative Action.

Here is just a very short vignette of what I went through- after Sears hired me to work in the paint department (first female in the Sears Paint department in Southern California) , I was told, that because I was a female, I had to follow the women's dress code. I was expected to climb up shelves in the stock room- up to 20' high- wearing high heels, hose, and a dress. I was expected to climb back down the shelves, after getting the cases of paint that I needed (weighing 40-52 lbs), in that same dress, hose, and heels.

That was truly their expectation. And they told me that was what they required of their female employees. (A man told me this, by the way.) And he was absolutely serious. And that I would be terminated if I didn't follow the dress code.

When I pointed out that it was a serious safety problem, if nothing else, he said "We cannot make an exception for you." (Well, they did. And when I started wearing pants, then all the other women employees did too.)

When I tell people that story now, they roll on the floor with laughter.

Every woman of my generation can tell similar stories, you just cannot imagine how crazy and awful it was back then.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:06 pm
"No, if employers would do

"No, if employers would do the right thing, and follow the law, it wouldn't be needed."

Who's breaking the law? And if they are breaking one law....how will imposing another law make them follow it? If they break that one, should we impose a third law?

And sorry...but telling us what happened to you in the past as a reason that we need Affirmative Action today makes it sound more like you are looking for vengeance more than equality. If people today are not experiencing that, then why continue an antiquated law?

nofanofobama
nofanofobama 04/28/14 - 03:08 pm
...b/4 you libs refer to

...b/4 you libs refer to someone as racist, try reading...i said a majority of blacks who live in the inner city cannot be happy..given the drugs,crime unemployment, no hope etc..chicago yesterday i believe 5 more were killed and 40 wounded and where???? the inner city..this in no way demeans the blacks, but states that the welfare programs are a failure. and inner city blacks doesn't encompass all blacks but given the condition in the inner city i stand by my statement..and there are many blacks in the middle class...but the only one who disparages the minorities are the libs who always insist that they can only survive if they are taken care..and by whom..the libs...good grief ...and wasnt it our dear Holder the ATTORN. GEN. that stated we need an honest talk about race...but anytime a question arise, the libs goe nuts and claim those who dare ask these questions are rascist or ignorant...its sad, we alll want the same thing..your way just doesnt work ...

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/14 - 03:09 pm
They came around to my way of

They came around to my way of thinking when I told them that I would be happy to wear a dress, hose, and heels, but that every time I needed paint (which was all the time) I would have to find a stock clerk to get it down for me and then they would have to carry it down to the sales floor.

In 2014, we laugh like crazy about these stories, because that type of expectation is so nonsensical and silly, but it was very serious and real back then.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:12 pm
Frequently heard on the PA at

Frequently heard on the PA at Wal-Mart....."would a male associate please report to electronics for a customer carry out?" Not heard......complaints of sex discrimination from the left at this practice.

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/14 - 03:13 pm
Why would I be looking for

Why would I be looking for vengeance, what an odd thing to say. Vengeance against who, a bunch of men who are now dead, and who were a product of their time?

Hahaha, yeppers, vengeance.

Wow, vengeance. For a part time job that I worked for 3 years, yeppers, that's me, wanting VENGEANCE!

Absolutely!

Hahaha, this is why I love this place, nobody could make this stuff up.

Pond Life 04/28/14 - 03:14 pm
?

Well...you say we need a discriminatory policy, even though those things don't happen any more. What other reason would there be?

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...