University name falls flat

I come to Augusta to shop with some frequency, and over the years have met numerous alumni of Augusta College and Augusta State University. I followed the saga of the merger of this fine school with the Medical College of Georgia, another equally fine institution and one whose alumni are proud of graduating there. Both are unique and show the pride within each institution.

Twice each spring I come to Augusta to officiate a collegiate disc golf event for what is now Georgia Regents University. I was there recently. When a spectator or fan followed the line-up of the participating schools, names that had proud traditions stood out – Clemson, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia Tech, Houston, Purdue, Illinois and others. It was immediately clear what the school was.

Then there is the new and, I supposed, improved GRU with its new drab colors. When the schools were announced on the first tee, the host school’s name had a sad ring to it. No one knew what a GRU was.

One could make many arguments and have considerable discussion as to the importance of a school’s name, but let’s be realistic. You are attracting 17- and 18-year-old kids to come to your school. The name matters. You had a unique emblem with the “A.” Now all your heritage is swept under the rug.

Do you think a doctor or other medical professional is excited about a diploma that no longer has the history of an institution such as the Medical College of Georgia? That tells me this is a medical school.

I have no dog in this hunt, as I attended the University of Missouri and one immediately can relate to that name. Augustans have an uphill climb on recognition that I doubt will be established in my lifetime. Sadly, the new name sounds more like some online institution than real brick-and-mortar. Good luck as well with alumni support.

Butterman
Butterman 04/26/14 - 01:27 am
The name is awful

No way around it. And our pipsqueak mayor could not even stand on the side of Augusta on this one. Sad. Sad. Sad. Dekedom will go down as a Disaster.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/26/14 - 06:29 am
MCG, ASU And GRU

As confusing as it is, The Medical College of Georgia did not lose its name. I've had this explained to me more than once. Of course it's all ridiculous.

The much ballyhooed merger of ASU with MCG was supposed to, among other things, increase the prestige of ASU because it would "have" a medical school. Unfortunately, the medical school is still known as MCG while ASU has lost its name and now has the ridiculous moniker. Tell me how this helped ASU in any way?

SimpleGirl
SimpleGirl 04/26/14 - 06:39 am
MCG/GRU

What's confusing to most is that yes, the Medical College of Georgia does indeed still exist....but as the name for the school of medicine only, not the institution as a whole. GRU is the name for the institution including the schools of Dentistry, Nursing, Graduate Studies, Allied Health Sciences, etc., but not the school of medicine. The school of medicine now known as the Medical College of Georgia is separate in name. It's so sad too. But, to this day, I still and will always refer to the whole institution as MCG as it has been for many, many years. Everyone I talk to does the same. You just can't change history.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/26/14 - 07:20 am
GRU Medical School?

Yes, The Medical College of Georgia now only refers to the medical school, but why wasn't its name changed also? Not that I'm in favor of any of Azziz's renaming, but using his logic, MCG should be GRU Medical School. How can it present itself as the GRU medical school, yet keep The Medical College of Georgia name which displays no connection to GRU, the former ASU?

deestafford
deestafford 04/26/14 - 07:26 am
Don't y'all understand that...

Don't y'all understand that there is more "prestige" in being "president" of a "UNIVERSITY" than a ''college'' when it appears on a resume?

Let's get our priorities straight. It's not about the effectiveness and recognition of the esprit of the students and the alumni...it's about what looks good as to the title of the honcho when he goes hobnobbing with the "elite" educators of the world.

corgimom
corgimom 04/26/14 - 07:33 am
It is ASU, and will always be

It is ASU, and will always be ASU to me. I didn't graduate from GRU.

SimpleGirl
SimpleGirl 04/26/14 - 07:40 am
MCG

Some thought that the name Medical College of Georgia seemed a better fit name for the medical school only.... but not a good representation for the whole institution. Personally, MCG was always known worldwide and I don't believe anyone thought it was strictly a medical school. MCG has had many presidents over the years and none ever thought this was a problem! All the other schools are under the name of GRU which tells people absolutely nothing.....not even where it is. People say "change is good"...........well it's not always good!

Let's say our President changed the name of the White House. Hmmmm, what do you think people would call it? It's history, it would still be called the White House.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 04/26/14 - 08:27 am
We need to move Azzizy away

We need to move Azzizy away and change the names back... MCG for everything medical and then back to either Augusta College or Augusta State University.

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/26/14 - 12:50 pm
In the day.

MCG equaled: School of Medicine, School of Dentistry, School of Nursing, School of Allied Health Sciences and School of Graduate Studies.

Seriously, what was wrong with that setup. Kind of like re titling janitor to environmental services technician. Both are the same and both do the same.

mybaskett
mybaskett 04/26/14 - 02:58 pm
Title

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/26/14 - 06:14 pm
Well there are a lot of PhDs,

Well there are a lot of PhDs, dentists, nurses, etc that also graduated from "MCG"-so great the MD's still have a diploma with "their" school on it-but the rest don't. Georgia health sciences blah, blah blow smoke up my butt, then more smoke to GRU. To bad we don't have a control school cause I think joining these two logistically will set them back before it sets them forward-which both schools were doing fine before their identity crisis. I hear faculty, staff, and students aren't happy with how things are running so far-but I guess it is expected to be bumpy.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/26/14 - 06:57 pm
How Many

will say Clark Hill instead of Thurmond Lake?

SimpleGirl
SimpleGirl 04/26/14 - 07:57 pm

Although MCG was founded in 1828 under the name Medical Academy of Georgia, it was changed in 1833 to the Medical College of Georgia.
What a history! Then 2011 came and so did Azziz and everything changed.....and not for the best.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 04/26/14 - 10:45 pm
"If i'm not mistaken, I think

"If i'm not mistaken, I think GRU formerly known as ASU recently won the National Disc Golf Title. So if they didn't know about GRU when the tournament started, they knew who they were at the end of the tournament. It's time to move on."

Isn't opinion a wonderful thing?... Many think it's time for Azziz and the discord caused by his inept leadership to just move on...

2.1% inflation expected

ATLANTA -- Business executives in the Southeast see inflation a little higher than the Federal Reserve does, according to a survey released Friday.