State's DNR policy 'fishy'

We received notification April 11 from the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources that our registration expired for our boat. We never received a renewal notification.

Well, it turns out it expired in April of 2013. I called the DNR and told them that, in 49 years, my husband and I never failed to pay on time for any renewal of driver’s licenses, gun licenses, or any other type of license. This probably is because those agencies always send out bills or reminders.

I asked the DNR if they would be so kind as to grant us a waiver of the $30 late fee. The lady I spoke to said they send out random reminders only for license renewals, and that her supervisor sometimes grants waivers of the late fee.

I asked if she would ask her supervisor to do that. The answer was a big “no.”

Seems like the supervisor at the DNR in Columbia takes her lead from President Obama when it comes to giving out waivers.

I’d like to know where she gets the authority to do that. She picks and chooses who gets off paying late fees and who has to pay. Can’t help but wonder if I was her cousin if I probably would get off having to pay the late fee.

“Random reminders”? Is the DNR kidding? This can’t be the policy. Is this employee making up her own rules?

I wish Gov. Nikki Haley would look into this office, because something fishy is going on at the DNR.

Pat Tortorello

McCormick, S.C.

karradur
karradur 04/17/14 - 02:55 am
You own a boat.

You can afford a $30 late fee.

Also, what does "seems like the supervisor at the DNR in Columbia takes her lead from President Obama when it comes to giving out waivers" even mean?

KSL
KSL 04/17/14 - 07:34 am
Wealth envy is showing.

Wealth envy is showing.

Darby
Darby 04/17/14 - 11:41 am
"Also, what does "seems like the supervisor at the DNR

in Columbia takes her lead from President Obama when it comes to giving out waivers" even mean?"

I'm betting that even kids in Middle School who pay attention in their Social Studies class know what that means.

Of course the spin that most of our liberal teachers would put on the story would be the subject of another discussion entirely.

Darby
Darby 04/17/14 - 11:47 am
While my knee-jerk reaction is to

disagree with just about anything our "progressive" friends say on these boards (and with good reason since they are almost always driven by ideology and almost never common sense or reason), I have to agree that if the rules say you get a penalty, then you pay the penalty.

The fact that someone else skated around the law doesn't give the rest of us license to do the same.

Go after the miscreants, but don't asked to be one of them!

Pond Life
Pond Life 04/17/14 - 12:23 pm
"You can afford a $30 late

"You can afford a $30 late fee."

Could the American colonists afford the tea tax? Are you implying that any fee that you can afford, you should just roll over and pay? Quite the patriot you are karraur. Oh, sorry.....if you are a "patriot" that would flag you for extra IRS scrutiny.

mooseye
mooseye 04/17/14 - 01:08 pm
While

I would also balk, I bet in the fine print somewhere on your boat registration there is a disclaimer that states that you are responsible for paying your fee on time weather you receive notification or not.
$30 does seem a little excessive!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/17/14 - 01:33 pm
KSL @ 7:34 AM

"Wealth envy is showing"

Is this your's and Pond Life's go to comment?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/17/14 - 01:38 pm
LTE

"I wish Gov. Nikki Haley would look into this office, because something fishy is going on at the DNR"

Government "RED TAPE" is what you are "SWIMMING" against!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/17/14 - 01:44 pm
LTE

"The lady I spoke to said they send out random reminders only for license renewals, and that her supervisor sometimes grants waivers of the late fee"

Did the beuraucrats ever hear about programming a computer to send EVERYONE a fee due notice??!! Obviously this beauracracy is still in the 19th century!! Computers can do amazing things if IT people would stop taking long breaks and lunch hours!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/17/14 - 01:46 pm
LTE

"This probably is because those agencies always send out bills or reminders"

Didn't you know "THAT IT IS RANDOM??!! (LOL)

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/17/14 - 01:49 pm
LTE

"Can’t help but wonder if I was her cousin if I probably would get off having to pay the late fee"

Didn't Forrest Gump say, "Fishy is as fishy does??"

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/17/14 - 01:55 pm
Pon Life @ 12:23

"Could the American colonists afford the tea tax? Are you implying that any fee that you can afford, you should just roll over and pay"

AGAIN WITH THE HUMOR!! I haven't commented to you since you told me that I was a border line racist! As for this LTE, I agree with you 100%! I will forgive you for your racist comment to me!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/17/14 - 02:04 pm
Karradur @ 2:55 AM

"Also, what does "seems like the supervisor at the DNR in Columbia takes her lead from President Obama when it comes to giving out waivers" even mean"

DUH, it means that the DNR picks and chooses what group of people will get renewal notices. You know, like Obama giving out waivers to businesses for Obamacare!! I assume you are for Obamacare. I used to be, BUT it is going to add hundreds of billions of dollars to the national debt!! Sometimes I don't think the Democrats even know about how to balance a budget!! Try that with your bank account and your credit cards!

fedex227
fedex227 04/17/14 - 03:56 pm
What about personal responsibility?

Heck, a week goes by and I didn't get my (whatever) bill and I'm on the phone asking what's up. 11 months go by and the excuse is, nobody told me my 'renewal' was due so I didn't pay it? Pay the 30 bucks.

fedex227
fedex227 04/17/14 - 05:30 pm
The link to President Obama is not unfounded tho ...

I heard there's rumor that a secret memo was sent out by the White House instructing all DNR supervisors to cut back on sending out renewal notices, may in fact, possibly exist . Maybe. I'm not saying how high up this thing goes if it is true, but I'm hoping the rumors I hear that Congressman Issa's oversight committee will soon be holding hearings on the matter are true.

edcushman
edcushman 04/17/14 - 04:44 pm
" I heard there's rumor that

" I heard there's rumor that a secret memo was sent out by the White House instructing all DNR supervisors to cut back on sending out renewal notices, may in fact, possibly exist."
fedex, it is not a memo that is being sent out by the WH but an attitude. It is happening in the post office and many businesses. It is very obvious I experienced it this week with a call to the Aiken sub-Standard. If you are not "one of us' then I don't really care about providing any service. Folks with that attitude will suffer in the long run.

fedex227
fedex227 04/17/14 - 05:32 pm
ed ...

I really don't think the 'D' in DNR stands for Democrat.

edcushman
edcushman 04/17/14 - 05:58 pm
"I really don't think the 'D'

"I really don't think the 'D' in DNR stands for Democrat."
fedex, I am talking about attitude not party but then you are correct most with the attitude are democrats. The Obama administration has spread racism from day one and it is having a VERY negative effect on the way blacks are treating whites. There will be big trouble before the community organizer is out of office.

fedex227
fedex227 04/17/14 - 07:03 pm
Got it.

Thanks.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/17/14 - 07:15 pm
FedEx, If SC is the same as

FedEx, If SC is the same as Georgia, registration renewal is every 3 years or so on boats. It isn't reasonable to expect someone to remember that "my next boat registration is coming up in December 2016." Just send out a BILL like counties do for auto renewals.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/17/14 - 07:21 pm
Gotta be contrary here Mr.

Gotta be contrary here Mr. Cushman. I agree 100% than Obama and the Dems play the envy game, pitting one group against another to gain favor; but personally, I haven't experienced any difference in the way I'm treated by the black folks I routinely interact with. Friends are still friends, servers are still polite, cashiers smile and say thank you for shopping, etc. In fact, it is a heckuva lot better than it was 10+ years ago with surly and indifferent people.

stuaby
stuaby 04/17/14 - 07:43 pm
What...ever. Gee whiz.

What...ever. Gee whiz.

fedex227
fedex227 04/17/14 - 08:55 pm
itsanotherday1 ...

well, let's see. I live in Georgia. I bought and own a ski boat that I love to take up to Lake Thurmond every year. You're right, GA renewal is every 3 years. For some reason, and maybe I'm the odd man out, but I've never received a renwal notice, yet I've somehow managed to keep my registration current since 1996. (And Obama is the worst President ever because of SC boater registration policy - for some weird reason.)

KSL
KSL 04/17/14 - 10:39 pm
You are not as busy as we a

You are not as busy as we a or you just have to show up at your job. Or you have a simple life. You are lucky.

Not everyone's work is the same.

KSL
KSL 04/17/14 - 10:46 pm
Right at the moment, I have

Right at the moment, I have no idea when my passport expires. You are either lucky to have the time to keep up with those details, or you are obsessive/compulsive.

KSL
KSL 04/17/14 - 11:05 pm
Between my spouse and myself

Between my spouse and myself we have license dates to keep up with 4 more critical license like dates . Actually more. It goes on and on when you add in continuing ed. That adds up.

Actually my husband and I did a quick assessment of license and license oriented dates. Over 25.

KSL
KSL 04/17/14 - 11:18 pm
I would not pay anyone

Do the FEDs notify you when your passport is expiring?

KSL
KSL 04/17/14 - 11:20 pm
I am on my third one. Maybe

I am on my third one. Maybe they do.

KSL
KSL 04/18/14 - 01:38 am
Also fed

You are playing with your base. Hopefully your fellow voters realize that anything like this issue has nothing to do with Obama.

KSL
KSL 04/18/14 - 01:40 am
And you are right. Obama is

And you are right. Obama is the worst president ever for anything.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...