Welcome, all, to Augusta

Ah! It’s that time of year again when all of the world gets to see the beauty and majesty of nature and human endeavor in Augusta. This is where the entire country witnesses that spring has sprung, with beautiful blooms and blossoms that produce smells and aromas like nowhere else.

Augusta is the heart of the Central Savannah River Area, with arts and entertainment to enchant most every taste. This is the New South, and visiting Riverwalk Augusta and various venues in and around downtown place this city among the elite pleasure centers and year-round areas for living well. Come relax and unwind and get your walk on at the Augusta National Golf Club and see the Masters Tournament. Welcome the supporting cast of the world’s finest golfers. Enjoy our hospitality and great weather.

As the golfers all do their best to win, we will do our best to convey our admiration. Imagine the major attraction of grown men trying to put a small ball in a hole in the ground with a stick, in an effort to wear a green jacket that under normal circumstances some people wouldn’t be caught dead in. You’ve got to love it!

Thank you to former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and all the other tournament committee members regulating this spectacle. We welcome you!

triscuit
triscuit 04/07/14 - 10:44 pm
Wha?

Wha?

Butterman
Butterman 04/07/14 - 11:43 pm
Scraping the bottom of the barrel

What is it with Masters Week about bringing out all the kooky LTE writers? This one has some amusing double entendres.. which i am sure were unintentional

rebellious
22027
rebellious 04/07/14 - 11:47 pm
With a name

like Tunk, what other than a lefthanded welcome would you expect? And the Tunkster has obviously never tried to hit a golf ball with the blade attached to that "stick", much less been in anything other than a tanktop for dinner. I am guessing here, but odds are pretty good.

This is a testimony to the ACES for printing even the most ridiculous LTE without editing.

I am so thankful Tunk is from South Carolina, and not Georgia. I just wonder how many times he had to stop to sharpen the crayon when writing the letter.

Butterman
Butterman 04/07/14 - 11:50 pm
inhale the aromas

"with beautiful blooms and blossoms that produce smells and aromas like nowhere else." Yep this guy has been doing a lot of inhaling of something.. but don't think it's azeala blossoms.

rebellious
22027
rebellious 04/07/14 - 11:52 pm
I

missed any double entendre, unless you think putting a small ball in a hole has some indecent indication. That would be a stretch, unless referring to the Tea party, but...no that is still a stretch.

Butterman
Butterman 04/08/14 - 12:14 am
What's next?

I am already excited what we might get treated to in the coming days on the Op/ed page. Obama is an alien from Zeta Reticulae? Earth is really flat so if you hit a golf ball hard enough it might fall off? Women should be making pimento cheese sandwiches not wearing Green jackets?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 04/08/14 - 12:49 am
Rebellious!!! HAHA

Heck I wonder what color the crayon was.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 04/08/14 - 05:52 am
Yall aren't being very nice to Tunk

Tunk - I get your letter, but I'm very curious - what color WAS that crayon

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/08/14 - 07:26 am
Dear Tunk

We have some bad boys on here...mean as all get-out. Ignore them please...

I get your letter & don't let the "meanies" keep you away, as a matter of fact, join us & post & give it back to them.
And yall have the "nerve" to call me baaad!

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 04/08/14 - 07:35 am
Southern

It's "welcome y'all to Augusta" ;0)

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/08/14 - 07:54 am
Smell-Aroma-Fragrance

That means more to some than others.....some of the bad posters above are so old they can't smell anymore..hahahha

Butterman
Butterman 04/08/14 - 07:55 am
It's not Tunk

It's the lack of editing by the AC editorial staff. This letter just proves they will print just about anything. There seems to be no standards. When you feature letters like this on your op/ed page it makes your paper look silly. I think high school papers have higher editing standards for letters they would print.

Butterman
Butterman 04/08/14 - 08:11 am
minipage

I suggest they bring back the mini page for letters like this.

Airman
Airman 04/08/14 - 08:18 am
Bad Posters Cant Smell...

I beg your pardon on that one, I can smell some of them through cyberspace, I wont name names or I might get booted off.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/08/14 - 08:27 am
Oh brother!

Here we have some innocent guy with a trendy name....he pours out his heart & only wants to welcome the Masters guests...what do yall do....you blast him & ridicule him without mercy.

Next time Tunk just throw in a few big words....that seems to MATTER to them.....some have a lot of education but 0 common sense.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 04/08/14 - 08:47 am
hey seenit

We're just not used to a cheerful letter. He should know better than to write one.
WE WANT BLOOD AND GORE AND GUTS!!!! This is the OPED page!!!!
HAHAHA!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/08/14 - 08:50 am
Good am shrimp

I miss seeing you on the r/rs.....come back sometimes.:)

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/08/14 - 09:01 am
What a nice letter-how does

What a nice letter-how does this raise folks ire? The AC shouldn't edit letters to the editors and they should and do print all kind of letters. The AC shouldn't discriminate against those opinions less educated-doesn't mean they are stupid (that would disqualify half the population too). I hate education elitists- Augusta with all it's universities and colleges has a great divide of highly educated and highly uneducated or under-educated people. Disqualifying uneducated or poorly educated opinions would limit people like John Glenn, Steve Jobs, Mark Twain, Winston Churchill, Abe Lincoln, or Ray Bradbury. Tunk is in good company.

triscuit
triscuit 04/08/14 - 09:31 am
I like Tunk's intention, I

I like Tunk's intention, I do. I wonder does AC proof or edit sentence structure, that's all, or do they just print 'em as they get 'em. I did find the thank you to Condi a little strange, since she's been a member what, now a year? I get it. But welcome Masters people anyway! Hope the weather will be your friend the rest of the week.

Jake
Jake 04/08/14 - 09:38 am
Having been a recent.....

.....witness to the beauty of the CSRA, I get what Tunk was saying. Of course when breathing in all that great aroma be sure to blow the yellow pollen out of your nostrils when done.

Butterman
Butterman 04/08/14 - 12:55 pm
Sticks and holes

Also dont break your stick when aiming for that hole. And dead men don't wear green.

KSL
KSL 04/08/14 - 02:52 pm
I agree with seenit. Very

I agree with seenit. Very nice letter.

KSL
KSL 04/08/14 - 02:57 pm
Barnwell County and Edgefield

Barnwell County and Edgefield County are notorious for having people with crazy nicknames who could __________.

Butterman
Butterman 04/08/14 - 02:59 pm
Standards

Sure, this letter would have been cute in a church bulletin or an elementary school gazette, but c'mon people this is the daily paper of the state's second largest city during its busiest week of the year hosting visitors from all over the world. The op/ed page should have some minimal standards about what is printed and papers edit letters to the editor all the time. Stuff like this just makes Augusta look like a backwater hick town. This would have never made it past the editors at the AJC or The State. But then now, The Chronicle is posting pet obituaries alongside human obituaries so this should be expected.

KSL
KSL 04/08/14 - 03:14 pm
triscuit

His sentence construction was a lot better than those of many of the letter writers and posters.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/08/14 - 04:03 pm
Wow two of the golfers are

Wow two of the golfers are Christians who are going to speak at Warren Baptist I noted-that's awesome. Gosh I hope all the anti-christians don't start posting attacks per usual. What would people think with all the concern about the locals.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/08/14 - 04:10 pm
No one is writing a

No one is writing a novel-most people type in shorthand and most don't bother to correct spelling or grammatical errors when they type fast for daily communication-like texting,email abbreviations, etc-an anthropologist friend of mine, who recently passed, always wrote quick notes that were barely readable-yet he wrote very well in publications and was a super bright man.

Bizkit
Bizkit 04/08/14 - 04:19 pm
Tunk is on the right track.

Tunk is on the right track. We should make sure everyone knows they are welcome here and that we aren't like New York City and discriminate who is welcome here. We've got gay bars and gay pride parades, lots of churches, synagogues, Hindu places of worship, and a mosque (isn't there one here?). We've got about every nationality of food-with that Thai restaurant on Washington road being there as long as any so we support all ethnicities-and a Hooters. We've got balance. LOL.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/08/14 - 04:43 pm
Hey butterball--I mean butterman

Find a turkey & stuff it...:)

This letter doesn't make the CSRA look like a hick town...you & I both know what the negatives are....I'm not suppose to comment this week about the NEGATIVES but, they are still here in headlines whether I comment or not.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/08/14 - 05:05 pm
What's in a name

It could be Johnboy---Billyray--Buba--Jimbob--Buck---Cleavis--Clovis--cooter---rebel....haha