Vote 'no' on new SPLOST

The next proposed special-purpose local option sales tax is being handled in a manner that demonstrates a lack of respect for taxpaying citizens. It’s evident there’s a lack of trust among decision-makers, and clear that some don’t care about fairness – just their own special interests.

All districts deserve a fair share of SPLOST funding. Augusta commissioners not in attendance for the recent SPLOST vote should not be tarred and feathered. The meeting was hastily called by Mayor Deke Copenhaver. The commissioners present should have assured that all districts received ample inclusion in SPLOST. After all, the tax will apply to all citizens in every district. In addition, citizens were not given a sufficient opportunity to have input. There used to be a citizens’ SPLOST advisory committee. This advisory committee needs to be restored.

Starting the Municipal Building renovations – and counting on SPLOST revenue to pay for it before allowing citizens the right to vote on SPLOST – was unethical. Most egregious was our mayor hastily putting a package together assuring that his mill project was included. Every commissioner who voted for this mill project did a disservice to the community. We are short on revenue. Our infrastructure needs are too great (magnified by the recent ice storm) for this “vision.” If the mayor has so much confidence in the potential of the mills, why not demonstrate that confidence with an investment of his own money? Or put together a private investment group?

Every citizen should join me in voting “no” on this SPLOST. Our heads are not buried in the sand. Infrastructure is a priority. Continued disrespect and taking our citizens’ votes for granted will never be acceptable.

On March 4, Grady Smith said on TV that the May 20 elections will allow citizens to “get a new set of horses.” We can get a new team of horses, and we should.

Juanita L. Burney

Augusta

bubbasauce
22008
bubbasauce 03/22/14 - 12:37 am
My vote- NO!

My vote- NO!

deestafford
deestafford 03/22/14 - 06:44 am
The road network in Richmond and Columbia...

The road network in Richmond and Columbia counties has come a long, long way in the past few years and continues to improve.

I think these improvements are the type that the people voted for on the last SPLOST because they saw the need and that there did not appear to be any pork or special interest projects in the works.

That is not true with this new proposal. It seems as if what is happening is what happens with the opportunities when so many politicians get their hands on the peoples' money. Initially, they have some good ideas and put them in place. Then for some reason the "I've-got-some-favorite-things-I-want-done" bug bites them and they go off track.

That is what appears to be with this latest version--the Commission and the mayor have got away from "dancin' with the one that brung ya" and now want to run off with favorite projects for which we were never sold when the SPLOST was conceived.

I, too, plan to vote NO! along with my family.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/22/14 - 08:38 am
Stiff-arm the public

Thank you for your letter, Ms. Burney. In the past, the commission held public meetings for months before the proposed project list was cobbled together. This time — nada.

It's time to go back to the drawing board, and get public input for a new list. The list should not include transfers of tax money to private interests. SPLOST projects should be needed government infrastructure, and not feel-good boondoggles spurred on by overpaid consultants.

This winter's unusual weather has created an abundance of potholes in our county's streets. Now, repairing potholes is maintenance and not proper use of SPLOST money. But it is proper use of SPLOST money to resurface roads and streets. There are plenty of roads in Richmond County that could use resurfacing with some of the money that Copenhaver and his gang of six have slated to go to private interests.

Vote NO!

story1
story1 03/22/14 - 08:37 am
Agreed

We must send a message and "Vote No". Keep sharing the truth with voters and ask them to also 'Vote No". Let the next Mayor work on a Splost package that doesn't allow the private groups to continue to profit from tax payer money.

gaflyboy
gaflyboy 03/22/14 - 09:09 am
Repeat?

Will this be like the TSPLOST this county passed a couple of years ago? Vote for (and pay) the tax, then watch projects be cancelled due to lack of funds. Who will see their pet project scratched off the list?

This is just another reason to vote NO.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/22/14 - 09:34 am
I am voting NO strictly

I am voting NO strictly because of the PRIVATE organizations and special interests groups....and the Mills project. I am tired of being blackmailed to fund PRIVATE groups in order to get a SOME of the things the local GOVERNMENT was supposed to do with the money.

As a resident of Southeast Richmond county I probably should be supporting it since we are actually supposed to get some of the money in our area. I applaud Commissioner Guilfoyle for actually getting our name put in the hat this time. However, being blackmailed into illegally giving public taxpayer dollars to PRIVATE organizations and SPECIAL INTERESTS groups, including Paine and their James Brown "cultural" boondoggle, just goes against my principles. There is so much infrastructure and NON-DOWNTOWN development investment that needs to be done. I just cannot support a SPLOST that includes EVEN ONE private organization, including Paine...or the Mill project....and especially the little bridge taggers. What a waste.

avidreader
avidreader 03/22/14 - 10:06 am

I too vote NO! I am tired of being pushed around by politicians and their archaic means of doing business. However, I am sure that these guys and gals will eventually get their money through some other means of taxation, mainly through responsible property owners. This will leave a meager segment of our community footing the bill, while others save their extra penny.

Whichever way the votes go, we're still screwed.

Butterman
Butterman 03/22/14 - 11:00 am
Darby
Darby 03/22/14 - 11:47 am
I have voted NO on every

single SPLOST ever presented to the Richmond County voters. In spite of that, the ill informed always pull the fat out of the fire for the local runaway government.

I will vote NO again in a futile attempt to control wasteful spending. I will be wasting my time.

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 03/22/14 - 02:35 pm
Thanks Juanita!

Thanks Juanita Burney for your letter. Now we need an all out campaign to stop this madness. Vote No on SPLOST!!!! Tell your friends who have no clue what this is all about! Needs before wants!!

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 03/22/14 - 03:53 pm
I sense a trend here!!!..

….It is obvious in this forum (and others I've seen) that this is an incredibly unpopular tax with most of the informed electorate….generally the only ones I see in favor, are either in line to benefit from it directly or have no idea that if it's voted down they get to keep more of their money at checkout!..

The "special interests" who are pushing for this have maybe gone to the well one too many times….Maybe THEY ought to have to learn to tighten their belts as most of us who work for a living have had to do…

VOTE NO to SPLOST!! on May 20th!!

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 03/22/14 - 05:11 pm
I guess it was a really good

I guess it was a really good thing TPTB rammed that SLUM designation through eh?

willie7
willie7 03/22/14 - 06:29 pm
I am yes, A big YES!!!

I will vote yes, A big YES!!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/22/14 - 10:05 pm
The SPLOST Vote is looking like a Failure....

But word has it,
if it does fail
The commissioners have already agreed to resubmit
WITHOUT the PORK and Business/Arts Welfare included.

SO VOTE NO

DEMAND A CLEAN SPLOST or NO SPLOST AT ALL.