Elect Blocker-Adams mayor

Helen Blocker-Adams, in my opinion, is the most qualified person who is vying for the mayoral position in Augusta. She has a proven track record that includes being a business-oriented person, which gives her all the tools she will need to move Augusta forward.

I had the pleasure to meet Ms. Blocker-Adams and to be a guest on her radio program. She can and will communicate at every level that the mayor’s office requires. State Sen. Hardie Davis is giving up a voting position in the Georgia General Assembly to run for mayor. It seems to me that he is primarily seeking a local position of status, and he will perhaps be just a figurehead in the mayor’s office.

I spoke to mayoral candidate Alvin Mason, and we discussed a plan to move Augusta forward. But I feel that since he was not the one to initiate the idea, he is just sitting on it. So I formed the conclusion that he, too, is just seeking a position of status, and his track record on the Augusta Commission is less than good.

I just believe and know that when you see, and have knowledge of, a person of Ms. Blocker-Adams’ abilities, you let it be known, and those of you who know me know that I am a lifelong resident of Richmond County for more than 80 years, who served in the U.S. Army for 21years and retired since 1971.

So please vote for Ms. Blocker-Adams for mayor. You will be glad you did. God bless our city and America.

Joseph Diggs Sr.

Hephzibah

peace4784
peace4784 03/22/14 - 05:06 am
Helen Blocker-Adams all the way!

Great letter, well said, Mr. Diggs. Thank you for your service. Helen Blocker-Adams all the way.

david jennings
david jennings 03/22/14 - 06:50 am
Yes I believe so

Thanks Mr. Diggs. Having worked with Ms. Blocker-Adams Mom ( long before the decision to run) I know something of the lady' integrity. Secondly, being a regular reader of Ms. Blocker' columns and one book I am confident my vote for Ms. B-A would be worthy. Then too, I have supported Mr. Mason twice in the 4th district and am not satisfied he would be a good choice. Hardie Davis, no thank you, Sias, I don't think so, nor Ivey or non of the others. Ms. Blocker-Adams will be the best choice I believe, so get out and help elect her as our next Mayor and move this town forward for a change.

Butterman
Butterman 03/22/14 - 08:58 am
no thanks

Seems like a nice lady but does not have the leadership skills that Augusta needs. At a recent candidates forum her answer to just about everything was creating more committees to "study" things. Really? No thank you.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/22/14 - 09:36 am
I know very little about any

I know very little about any of them except for what I've seen from "Skybox" Mason's performance and the less than notable terms of Hardie Davis in the Assembly.

I'd like to think Blocker-Adams is a viable alternative......but I have a general distrust of hyphenated last names....which in my experience generally indicates a deep seated flaw in the thought process. That and the fact that she is going to have to STOP giving apple pie and ice cream answers to questions and START talking about her views on taxation, fees, spending all of the county taxpayer's money DOWNTOWN, and treating the REST OF THE COUNTY like they were actually citizens of the "city" of Augusta when it comes to development investment.

The last forum they had ALL of them sounded like blithering idiots so right now I am still in the NONE OF THE ABOVE voting block. At least ONE of them is going to have to say something meaningful and intelligent before I cast a vote for one of them for mayor. And if they say "I'm going to do THIS" then I want them to also tell me how they are going to PAY FOR THAT without raising my taxes. I'll overlook Blocker-Adams hyphenated last name if she can come up to those standards and talk about something in the realm of reality.

I don't want any more talk about "if I am elected the commissioners will kiss and hold hands and everything will be hunky dory". WE'VE GOT PROBLEMS......MONEY PROBLEMS.....INFRASTRUCTURE PROBLEMS......RACE PROBLEMS.....LEADERSHIP PROBLEMS.....PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT PROBLEMS.....AND FAIRNESS AND EQUALITY IN TAXATION, FEES, AND SPENDING PROBLEMS. Don't blow smoke up my rear end with your "I want world peace and to feed the hungry" apple pie and ice cream answers....TALK ABOUT THE PROBLEMS AND YOUR SOLUTIONS.

Butterman
Butterman 03/22/14 - 09:58 am
dichotomy

Mason may not be the perfect candidate that we would all like but after hearing them at forums and on local media he appears to be the best of the bunch. Mason stood firm against the TEE Center and parking deck mess. He is against Splost. He has consistently been against the DDA and all their hair brain schemes. He is against Matt Kwatinetz pie in the sky projects like the mills with no confirmed tenants. Mason has consistently stood up against the downtown powerbrokers who like vampires continue to suck the rest of the county dry for their own benefit. As far as calling him skybox all of the commissioners were getting those perks. I do not agree with it either but in Georgia it is allowed under our weak ethics laws. Hardie Davis could have intriduced a bill to put a stop to this but he did not. instead, Davis introdduced a bill to doulble the mayors salary knowing he intended to run. Hows that for ethics. And if you think Helen is a viable alternative just remember that her cheif backers are those downtown powerbrokers who you constantly rail against. I suggest you attend some of the forums and I guarantee your opinion of Mason will change for the better.

triscuit
triscuit 03/22/14 - 10:16 am
Helen has no "experience?"

Helen has no "experience?" Unless a candidate is an incumbent, none of them have experience. As far as the two "experienced" candidates, how's that working out for Augusta?

Darby
Darby 03/22/14 - 10:43 am
Haven't quite made up my

mind yet, but just let me say, given the current field, we could do worse than Helen.

Butterman
Butterman 03/22/14 - 10:57 am
experience is not the problem

my problem with helen is not her lack of government experience but her wishy washy answers on important questions. You will never get a direct answer out of her. At recent forums her answer to nearly every question was to form a committee to study things. Really? I dont think Augusta is hurting for a lack of studies and committees. Thats just a pass the buck response. We dont need another mayor who just wants to pass everything off to committees so they can get out of making a decision. But what worries me most about Helen is who is lining up behind her..namely the downtown powerbrokers who want to keep their gravy train going. This is why you wont hear her come out definitively against Splost or advocate defunding the dda.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 03/22/14 - 02:39 pm
Tend to agree with "Butter" on this one….

…While Helen is a nice enough lady, we've had "nice" for the last eight years….

We need "leadership" right now…not "nice"..

Not 100% sure yet that Alvin is the guy I'd vote for as I'm still waiting for Hardie to say something..ANYTHING!..

But as it stands right now, he's the only candidate that has said clearly AND distinctly what he stands FOR or AGAINST..

Which, considering the last administration is refreshing in itself..

triscuit
triscuit 03/22/14 - 05:20 pm
I believe Helen did come out

I believe Helen did come out against this SPLOST as its written, not enough in for infrastructure.

story1
story1 03/22/14 - 08:18 pm
Where does Helen stand on Splost?

She has not publicly taken a position.