Don't judge gays harshly

There seems to be continued debate over what constitutes liberty and discrimination as per the Arizona bill that was recently vetoed.

There are some genuinely complicated questions related to this issue that can be debated forever. However, I want to take this time to address some of my concerns absent any legal argument. I want to talk about the human element here.

Our country is predominantly Christian, as far as the religious element is concerned, so I want to address Christians specifically. I find myself perplexed and disheartened at the way many Christians conduct themselves as it relates to certain issues. The conservative movement, as a whole, seems to take a very distant and impersonal view of gay people. Whenever I hear a Christian talking about gay people, it usually is in emphasis of how they “disapprove of their lifestyle.” That seems to get far emphasized over compassion and understanding. The rhetoric is usually very dehumanized and depersonalized.

Here’s the way I see it: You don’t have to believe it’s right, but you should emphasize compassion over judgment. Millennials are one group of people who understand this. They are becoming very turned off by the way their churches/religious leaders are handling such issues. They are so turned off by it that they are leaving their churches in large numbers, all based upon churches’ “no-tolerance” view of gay people. I’m not saying all churches or all Christians take this approach, but personally I think there needs to be a major reassessment by many Christians on how to view these issues.

I’m in no way advocating that the church deny teaching any Scripture-based doctrine. All I’m advocating is for many Christians to display far more compassion and understanding. Maybe instead of judging people in the name of Christianity, perhaps try serving them in the name of Christianity. Stop being scared God will judge you for making them cakes or taking their wedding pictures. Be nice to them, listen to their stories, and get to know them.

The No. 1 barrier between gay people and God is not their homosexuality, but the lack of empathy and compassion they often receive from so-called Christians.

Dallas Duff

Evans

specsta
specsta 03/15/14 - 02:52 am
Stop Condemning Others

Well said.

"Christians" don't understand how their judgmental attitudes and "holier-than-thou" approach in dealing with others is a serious turn-off to folks who might just be seeking some answers about life and purpose.

mooseye
mooseye 03/15/14 - 03:14 am
One

problem is that "gays" which are not an ethical group, but rather a group that chooses to be, have a bad name. They are perceived to be sexually deviant and loose of morals. I don't think this describes a real gay person but rather a sexually deviant and loose moral person. "Gay" people have the same (sometimes) values and beliefs as us "normal" people. Think about it.

carcraft
carcraft 03/15/14 - 05:15 am
The number one thing

The number one thing separating gays from God is the same thing that separates me from God, that would be sin! Blaming others is as excuse. The bill similar to an actual federal statute. The press and gays blew it and distorted the law beyond recognition.

blh
blh 03/15/14 - 06:25 am
Yes the jury is out

to some extent, but there is plenty of evidence to prove it is NOT a "choice." It is irrelevant whether lgbt's are classified as an "ethnic group." As with Jews, they are a minority, easy to scapegoat, especially by politicians and the church. ALL anti-lgbt rhetoric comes from the false assumption that it is a "choice" and there is no evidence whatsoever to show that it is. LGBT's have been shown to be fully "normal" physically and mentally and there is no rational basis for limiting a gay person's freedoms. All efforts to limit lgbt's freedoms are based solely on tenable interpretations of scripture. They are not a danger to society, nor are they a risk to themselves or anyone else. However, they are subjected daily to the stresses of hatred, violence and persecution, isolation from families, risk of job loss, distrust in their religious communities, and worst of all, no legal protections for their long-term relationships, healthcare, taxes, and children, and financial harm due to trying to protect themselves legally by other means. Your children know that they have "feelings" that are different by the time they are 5. They silently grow up warped by negative comments at home and at school and many become suicidal by the time their bodies catch up with their feelings. It's past time for parents to accept and celebrate their children for who they are and stop killing them from their own fears and ignorance. Your heart knows right from wrong whether you understand scripture or not and some people are gay, whether you understand "why" or not. Accept it and deal with it.

grinder48
2005
grinder48 03/15/14 - 07:32 am
blh is wrong in stating

blh is wrong in stating homosexuals are not harmful to anyone else. Many homosexuals attempt to portray homosexuality as being normal and promote the lifestyle (e.g. Augusta's Homosexual Pride Parade), thus promoting their deviant behavior to young children who might otherwise not become homosexual. And regardless of one's religious beliefs, homosexuality is deviant behavior in the same sense as beastuality or other such perversions. Even the warped use of the term "gay" is an attempt to avoid and twist fact. "Gay" means happy (and all homosexuals certainly are not happy), these people are homosexuals ... call it as it is.

david jennings
david jennings 03/15/14 - 08:01 am
There are none,no not one

All are guilty of sin. The law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death Rom 8:2. I have to agree with the letter writer regarding compassion and forgiveness. For this to come from the heart one must love thier neighbor. For me to forgive and understand does not make me an advocate. Even the woman charged with neglect of eight children, the drunk driver, the drug abuser, the murdereer, the thief and on & on, I am no better for we all have sinned and fell short. Prayer not condemnation.

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/15/14 - 08:44 am
Only GOD can forgive SIN. Embracing sinful acts is not compassio

Only GOD can forgive SIN. Embracing sinful acts is not compassio

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/15/14 - 08:45 am
SIN is against GOD. GOD states what is SIN. Say, abominations

SIN is against GOD. GOD states what is SIN. Say, abominations

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/15/14 - 08:46 am
Gays have created their own god, in their own image. Many do.

Gays have created their own god, in their own image. Many do.

soldout
soldout 03/15/14 - 09:02 am
there are no gays

All sin is a choice and my sin or your sin doesn't make us special. A loving God said there was always a way out of sin. He didn't say something was a sin and not create a way out. Why does he call anything a sin? The reason is that sin destroys. The gay choice spreads disease and is a sin done to one's own body. Gay sin is accepted by those who dont have a "visual" of the sin and what it does. Many think abortion is okay because they haven't seen an aborted baby laying on the doctor's table. We didn't get a choice in what God called sin and His wisdom is perfect. If it were in a gene that gene would have died out long ago. It's basis is a "spirit of death" because ,just like abortion, it stops life. All sexual activity is a choice and whatever sin you have a tendacy to do you get the choice to stop it. Chirstians aren't juding sin because the sinner is telling us who they are and that they are smarter than the Word. In fact the Word says out of the heart the mouth speaks so sinners will always tell us who they are. Jesus loved the sinner and died to pay the price for their sin but always told them to sin no more. When you say you are gay and the Word isn't true then you are saying you can handle the price for your sin rather than accept the One who paid the price. Society doesn't get to vote on what is and isn't sin and every sin each one of us partcipates in is hurting us in many ways here and now; and for some it will hurt them for eternity. I would rather offend you and have you turn from sin and be in heaven than never say a negative word and you spend eternity in hell. Christians treat everyone well whether sinner or not but we should tell you if you are driving your life's car off a cliff.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/15/14 - 09:09 am
Studies indicate people may

Studies indicate people may not have a choice in their political ideology either as being conservative or liberal-even can predict who will be. Some people show disdain and hatred towards gays, but the same is true of christians and conservatives too. See that moral relativism cuts both ways. The problem is people conflate what God and the Bible states about homosexuality (just another sin) and believers sentiments. I am a christian now and I don't nor ever had animosity for gays-other than an oddity but christians were too till I became one. i know many christians accepting of their gay children-others don't. But other issues similarly divide families like if you're a family of liberals and have a conservative child-you still love them (reminds me of Michael J Fox). God says to love everyone and not be judgmental (that's his job), but there is a lot of scripture that warns:
Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers
2 John 1:10-11 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.
But it is all sin not just sexual immorality:
1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.
But all is not lost:
Luke 5:32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”

Luke 15:7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

So rather than accuse people of homophobia and get angry get mad with the message and not the messenger. Because it appears likeTheophobia-fear and anger towards God.

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/15/14 - 09:12 am
Don't judge at all. Just know them by their "fruits".

Don't judge at all. Just know them by their "fruits".

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/15/14 - 09:12 am
Don't judge at all. Just know them by their "fruits".

Don't judge at all. Just know them by their "fruits".

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/15/14 - 09:13 am
Don't judge at all. Just know them by their "fruits".

Don't judge at all. Just know them by their "fruits".

localguy55
localguy55 03/15/14 - 09:17 am
I am a libertarian on this

I am a libertarian on this matter. I do not and will not condemn any particular lifestyle as long as it does not interfere with my life or the the lives of others. God will judge all sinners. Stay out of God's business.

This does not mean we disregard man's laws and allow chaos. With that said, adopting a libertarian stance on this issue you must then look at the rights of those business owners who choose not to serve people they believe infringe on their beliefs.

Would anyone allow a nudist to teach in an elementary school? In some states nudist colonies are not against the law. Nudist believe that there is nothing wrong with their way of life. Would you vote for someone that has admitted to doing drugs? Oh, that's been done.

You see the argument works on both sides. I say live and let live, but don't afford any one person or one group privileges that step on the inalienable rights of others. If someone refuses to bake you a cake take your business elsewhere.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/15/14 - 09:21 am
There does seem to be an

There does seem to be an inverse relationship with societal acceptance of homosexuality and christianity. In Europe where Christianity is basically dead it is accepted-Canada too which doesn't have a lot of Christians. So the problem gays have isn't with people but a religion, but there are lots of gay christians too(I have family members to attest as much). I think the main problem Christians have isn't with gays per se, but they feel the separation of church and state is breached cause marriage is a religious rite-hence a blasphemy to condone a sin with Holy. I think if they had just kept the rhetoric as we want civil unions and equal rights this issue would have been over a long time ago-because it is a logical issue-but bring a religious tone to it you throw caution to the wind and open a bag of worms. . So while I personally recognize sexual immorality is sin there are a lot of sins, and as an American who loves freedom like Localguy I realize to have my freedom to worship I have to tolerate things that may offend me-as apparently my faith offends a lot of people.

freeradical
freeradical 03/15/14 - 09:24 am
Russia Is Not Christian & Neither Is U. S.

Your basic assumptions about what and who is Christian , and

what is at the root of their objections shows your understanding to

be miles wide & inches deep on both points .

Russia , China , Cuba , etc, etc, etc, & etc, are humanistic, socialistic

totalitarian states .

Right where we are going .

They also happen to be the most anti-homosexual nations on the

planet , AND the most ANTI-CHRISTAIN nations on the planet .

What pray tell do these two have in common as far as these world

powers are concerned , and why would they fall into the same

category of criminality as far as these world powers are concerned ?

Your carnal vision of the world being so short sighted .

The gay movement has been hoodwinked into believing that the

more the eternal fountain head of the water of life is removed from

the public the more abundant their own lives will become as they

die of thirst .

This is a tragedy in the making .

Gays are fond of comparing their struggle with that of blacks .

This is a fact that is not even open to argument .

Go to the most powerful liberal , equality professing , civil rights

preaching politicians that have been years and years in power

in this country and ask them about the great strides they have made

for blacks in this country in their vast careers .

Just make sure you have about four hours to spare whist they laud &

magnify all they have done in their rich , powerful & many years in

power .

Then travel into any predominantly black area of our country anywhere

and try and reconcile what you have been told with what your lying

eyes are witnessing .

Homosexuals are among the most clueless people in this country as

far as what the future holds .

"God's greatness flows around our incompleteness ,
Round our restlessness His rest . "

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 03/15/14 - 09:27 am
LTE

"discrimination as per the Arizona bill that was recently vetoed"

I don't know if you know this, BUT this bill was vetoed due to pressure from businesses!

OJP
OJP 03/15/14 - 09:30 am
The author is right about Millennials.

81% of Americans under 30 support marriage equality. And that includes 61% of Republicans under 30.

This debate is over. We're rapidly approaching the day when opposing gay rights will make you a social pariah.

Echoes86
Echoes86 03/15/14 - 09:30 am
I agree with localguy55

I have a libertarian stance on this as well. If someone doesn't want to serve gay people, then fine, I hope their business fails completely (and in certain areas it almost surely would). The government has to stay out of it, and leave it up to the people to vote with their dollar.

Now, not talking about government for this part, I wonder how many sins are pointed out by these same business owners. Like, do they just say "don't come in if you're gay" or do they also say "don't come in if you're an adulterer." I thought all sins were the same in the eyes of God? I just don't understand why some people continuously pick this one sin and ignore all others. Not saying anyone here does this, but my mom will complain all day about gay people, and then act like it's no big deal when her son is having sex with married women while he's still married.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: treat all sins the same and if you are a hypocrite like my mom, then stop being one.

grinder48
2005
grinder48 03/15/14 - 09:45 am
Live and let live ... but STOP

What others do is none of my business ... except when they try to push themselves and their ideas on others. While to me the idea of having sex with someone of the same sex is repulsive, if you want to do it, go ahead, I'm not to judge. But to those homosexuals who do it, stop flaunting your lifestyle and throwing it in the face of others and trying to make children think such behavior is normal.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/15/14 - 09:44 am
That's true free radical but

That's true free radical but Islam is a theocratic religion that forbids and punishes homosexuality too. But point taken it isn't all religions fault either.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/15/14 - 10:06 am
Let me see I've got plenty of

Let me see I've got plenty of adulterers in the family, some alcoholics, some obese-gluttony, some homosexuals, some atheists, one served time in prison,gosh the list goes on. Now do I have a problem with sin-yeah sure who doesn't.

freeradical
freeradical 03/15/14 - 10:13 am
Liberal Embraced Islam

Bizkit,

One difference , Islam a completely humanistic based

Christianity is the only religion in which all is grace based .

But your pointing out Islam plays right into what I was saying .

It is no mere coincidence that Islam which worldwide exacts a more

brutal physical toll on all sins including homosexuality is quick becoming

the darling religion of liberals in this country.

Neither point is even arguable .

Think about the permissive , and relaxed rules being applied in public

institutions pertaining to Islam as opposed to Christianity these days .

And more to the point of what the future holds how interesting it is

that the world religion which exacts the most brutal physical toll on

homosexuals worldwide just so happens to be the most rapidly

favored and accommodated religion of powerful liberals .

Very interesting , and quite telling .

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/15/14 - 10:20 am
Tell you what, gay militants

We have now gone from "the love that dares not speak its name" of the 19th Century (Lord Alfred Douglas) to "the love that simply will not shut up about itself" in the 21st (Dixieman).
We are so tired of the constant preening and nagging and whining and moaning about your sorry plight in life. So here's the deal: You shut up about your sexuality (which is of no interest to anyone but your partner and family) in return for:
1. A medal for being gay.
2. Free lifetime upgrade from large to extra-large popcorn at all participating theaters.
3. Purse to match your shoes.
4. 10% off coupon for the muffler shop of your choice in the CSRA, expires when gay marriage becomes legal in Georgia (i.e. never).
5. Annual Gay Pride parade in downtown Augusta which no one will attend but the Chronicle will cover. With photos. On the front page.
---------------------------------------------
Now can we PLEASE leave this insignificant issue alone for a while?
When Dixieman gets to 10,000 points he will re-examine this issue but will not change his mind.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 03/15/14 - 10:23 am
This is a issue of sin and

This is a issue of sin and the Bible is very clear on the issue of sin. God's word is very specific on how the Church is to deal with sin "within" the Church however the question is how should Christians deal with sin in society. First we must deal with any sin in our own lives. Christians must treat homosexuality as sin because God says it is sin and depending on if the person is saved or not deal with them accordingly. Christians have been left on earth to call sinners to repentance by helping them to see their sinfulness, repent and accept Christ as their savior. We must recognize that our purpose is NOT to try to moralize a immoral society. Salvation is the issue and once we have been saved, God has called us to live a Holy life. Sin and Holiness are not compatible. As a Christian I must call others to Christ through repentance and this necessitates them recognizing their sinfulness. Read about John the Baptist ( the greatest man born of woman) and what happened to him for pointing out the sexual sin of others. Most Christian fear calling sin, sin.

localguy55
localguy55 03/15/14 - 10:22 am
Dixieman, I know you trying

Dixieman,

I know you trying to be sarcastic, and that's ok here, but both sides have added fuel to the fire. In the 70s, as I remember, there was not so much of a big deal and most seemed to have a leave it alone attitude. But now, everyone wants to say something and it's just a big mess now.

I say again just live your life and let others do the same as long as each other doesn't step on toes to do so.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/15/14 - 10:30 am
Here is an article I found on

Here is an article I found on how sexuality (in general) develops and is learned to some degree:http://www.sexualityandu.ca/health-care-professionals/sexuality-and-child-development. But why do you think it is called Sex Education.
I don't understand the preoccupation with trying to make homosexuality biological which all human behavior is biological-love, rage and violence, etc. It's an absurd argument nor does it matter. I use to love to shoot guns did I need to qualify my love to shoot guns as some biological fact. The issue of nature or nurture indicates it's both. But scientists now believe they can tell whether you will grow up to be a conservative or liberal too-so it's biological and they can't help it. LOL.So the biological argument is neutral cause people can't help being gay no more than people who can't help but bash or really hate gay people.

carcraft
carcraft 03/15/14 - 10:30 am
The gays seem to want to

The gays seem to want to FORCE others to celebrate their "life style "even though the other find it abhorrent! Take the cake maker being sued and the photographer being sued. As I have pointed out a million times, this hasn't been thought through by gays and it is just shoving into people's faces. The legal complications are staggering from child support to divorce etc. But march on and keep pushing.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/15/14 - 10:31 am
Well I guess Christians want

Well I guess Christians want everyone to accept them too-how is that working for us? Not too well I see given recent trends.